lead shielded glasses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone decided to purchase lead shielded glasses/goggles or is the amount of radiation pain doctors exposed to not significant enough to warrant it?

Members don't see this ad.

yes. get them. protects your retinas. you also need a thyroid shield.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Picked up the ones below from Amazon as a med student after having a radiology rotation, even before deciding on anesthesia let alone pain. The IR guys made a huge point of it. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I was broke.

Phillips Safety
4.6 out of 5 stars 19Reviews
Black Wraparound X-ray Radiation Protection Lead Glasses

I'll second barrier online. They don't fog for me and they are comfortable.

thanks for saving me some money Stim! I'll stick with mine from barrier then.

has anyone decided to purchase lead shielded glasses/goggles or is the amount of radiation pain doctors exposed to not significant enough to warrant it?

this is an excellent question actually - and not a clear answer. Most of the catarac data comes from cardiologists who get A LOT more fluoroscopy exposure than pain physicians. In this data, it seemed to be that there was a threshold point. However, I think that is old data as new data apparently shows that it is a continum which makes more sense.

It probably isn't clinically worth the expense, but totally worth the peace of mind and reassurance that your eyes are sheilded.

No don't do it...my pair broke after a few months. The Nike frames are crap. Just bought the philips lenses listed above for $100 on Amazon.

Hmm.... I've actually got a pair of these on the way.... on my jobs dime... hopefully mine will fare better

Members don't see this ad :)
i got the brazen from Nike. hope they don't fall apart.

i forget if it was Gabor Racz or another legendary pain doc, but heard that he had already had cataract surgery x2 in each eye. attributed to radiation...

No don't do it...my pair broke after a few months. The Nike frames are crap. Just bought the philips lenses listed above for $100 on Amazon.

I have the Nike Brazen with prescription lenses and love them. I've been using them for 3 years without an issue.

I also have Nike Brazens. Very comfortable for all day use. I tried a bunch of the phillips ones on and felt they weren't all that comfortable and the Nike's just fit my face better. My regular glasses are Nike too, so maybe I am just biased. Have only been using them for the first couple months I have been in fellowship, so can't comment on durability.

Hi all; just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has any current suggestions. I've seen some pain practitioners use athletic goggles, and wondering if those are a suitable substitute, given that anything with the phrase "medical" in it means a 500% markup...

Hi all; just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has any current suggestions. I've seen some pain practitioners use athletic goggles, and wondering if those are a suitable substitute, given that anything with the phrase "medical" in it means a 500% markup...
Lenses need lead crystal or similar radiation blocking materials.

I use a leaded face shield. I've never had any lead goggles fit comfortably over my glasses, and my prescription is poor enough that any addition weight on my glasses will make them fall off my face.

Amazon product

I've been using it for a few months now, and it's been great. Nice face protection too.

Reactions: 1 users
I used barrier online for rx goggles. Took some getting used to with some headaches first couple days, but happy with them at 3 years now. Occasional fogging depending on my mask fit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If not for the radiation protection, then do it to keep the body fluids out of your eyes when you go for the TFESI but hit the aorta instead :smack:

I use a leaded face shield. I've never had any lead goggles fit comfortably over my glasses, and my prescription is poor enough that any addition weight on my glasses will make them fall off my face.

Amazon product

I've been using it for a few months now, and it's been great. Nice face protection too.

@jwheezy This is a genious idea since my rx is like -9 (very thick glasses), however I searched for "lead face shield" on amazon and got 2 results but both said " NOTE: Mask should be worn with leaded eyewear protection. " Do the face shields provide less radiation protection compared to the eyeglasses? Why would they advocate wearing both?

plus they were $500...is that normal?

0.10 mm thick

The face shields seem to be 0.1 vs 0.75 mm for most eye glasses. I'm not sure about it at that cost

anyone have any comments on the "Fit over" glasses (the ones that go over your glasses) - i.e. phillips brand ~$100 vs. Navigator or Orion brand (both ~$300)?

Amazon product

I like this idea, particularly of protecting your face as well. And in COVID times, it adds an extra barrier.

Thickness of the material vs dedicated x Ray glasses is still a concern, though.

Any suggestions for purchasing lead aprons for myself and ancillary staff? Good websites? Or resources? Based on the research I’ve done prices vary from $250-600 per apron. I am not one to skimp when it comes to the safety of the support staff but they are usually already >6ft feet away from the c arm. Simple front lead aprons should be fine right? Or do you all suggest otherwise?

I’ll be purchasing about 6 aprons total.

plus they were $500...is that normal?

0.10 mm thick
Sorry, I haven't logged on in a while! I actually do not know, they were purchased for me when I started my job at my current hospital. I will look into it... I am a little concerned if they are indeed as thin as the one you found. I'll also look into cost!