Leaning toward another profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pow123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a Junior perusing a biochemistry major, with a math minor. At my school, biochem is just a chemistry major with a bio minor. I am going to be evaluated by my school's health profession committee soon, but I think I want to pursue another profession now, specifically chemical engineering. I think since I came this far, I will apply for the heck of it just to see what happens. I know this may not be the right place to ask this, but as a 2nd semester junior, I know there is no way I can transfer to a chemical engineering program now, my school does not even offer that major. Does anyone know how I can go about getting into chemical engineering with a chemistry major? I am currently doing some research on this, but are there any programs out there that will take chem majors to get them to the level of chemical engineer bs?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools probably offer a second BS. I would research where it would be cheapest and the least number of units you need to take. Use what you have leftover of undergrad to take any prerequisite course you may be missing. In this case, your best bet is your counselors (if you apply second BS at your school) or counselors from the other institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be able to get a MS or PhD in chemical engineering with a BS in chemistry. You just have to find the schools that will accept BS in chemistry for a MS or PhD ChemE program.

Reactions: 3 users
You may be able to get a MS or PhD in chemical engineering with a BS in chemistry. You just have to find the schools that will accept BS in chemistry for a MS or PhD ChemE program.

+1 to this
@pow123 there are definitely programs that accept chem/biochem majors. Some may have a few pre-reqs that you may have to take.

Yeah, I'd expect that as long as you had the pre-reqs for the grad programs you could get in with a chem/biochem major. I went to school for BME and as far as I remember, the only thing grad schools might have as pre-reqs that a pre-med wouldn't already have was some extra math (likely through differential equations), and possibly calc-based physics (since I know there are a bunch of people always recommending trig-based if your school offers it)
Do your school at least have some engineering programs, even if not ChemE?