Learning Non-sterile compounding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to learn mostly the calculations used in non-sterile compounding. But what is a good book to learn that from and also basics of compounding.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to learn mostly the calculations used in non-sterile compounding. But what is a good book to learn that from and also basics of compounding.
How did you not learn this in school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you near New York State or Houston, TX?

how come everytime I ask a question carboxide always has an ignorant remark

how come everytime I ask a question carboxide always has an ignorant remark

Ignorant? No. YOU are ignorant and your posts are disgraceful.

OldTimer: he is a pharmacist based on his other posts, NOT pre-pharmacy. He is licensed. Right Tom?

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you're a candidate to pony up some serious cash and go to Houston TX for a week.....

http://www.pccarx.com/

Go here and they'll take care of your desire for knowledge and training.

so now I want to know, what pharmacy school did Tom go to, that didn't teach the basics of compounding (let me guess....a school that was just accredited in the past 10 years)

so now I want to know, what pharmacy school did Tom go to, that didn't teach the basics of compounding (let me guess....a school that was just accredited in the past 10 years)
You're probably right. But not necessarily.

I went to school in MA and the last non- sterile compounding we did in school was P1. By the time I graduated, I hadn't compounded anything but a few IV's in over 3 years. It's possible he's just super-rusty.

If you compare that to the curriculum of any school in NY state, you'll see why the out of state pass rate on the wet lab is so much lower than in-state.

Last edited:
You're probably right. But not necessarily.

I went to school in MA and the last non- sterile compounding we did in school was P2. By the time I graduated, I hadn't compounded anything but a few IV's in over 3 years. It's possible he's just super-rusty.

If you compare that to the curriculum of any school in NY state, you'll see why the out of state pass rate on the wet lab is so much lower than in-state.

Yep, I had compounding lab once a week in my P1 and P2 years. During my P3 and P4 when on rotations, we'd always ask if we could do the compounding scripts. Also did a full month rotation at a PCCA certified compounding pharmacy out in Long Island. The pharmacist gives you a mock Part 3 wet lab exam at the end of the rotation and tricks to pass it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I guess I could see being rusty. I haven't compounded a suppository since the early 90's. I had to compound powder packets in pharmacy school, but I never have since.