Learning Spanish for Healthcare Providers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bellalynn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Is there anyone out there who is practicing Spanish? I live in an area where knowledge of Spanish is needed to be competitive for many pharmacists positions. I speak Spanish well but am working to improve my language so that I would be confident calling myself fluent on a CV/resume. I didn't know if anyone else out there has used any programs that worked well for them.

And, if anyone is looking to practice speaking the language, please let me know. I currently have a private Spanish tutor but jump at all opportunities to practice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Is there anyone out there who is practicing Spanish? I live in an area where knowledge of Spanish is needed to be competitive for many pharmacists positions. I speak Spanish well but am working to improve my language so that I would be confident calling myself fluent on a CV/resume. I didn't know if anyone else out there has used any programs that worked well for them.

And, if anyone is looking to practice speaking the language, please let me know. I currently have a private Spanish tutor but jump at all opportunities to practice. Thanks!
My conversational Spanish was fine when I became a pharmacist, but my medical vocab was lousy. I got a lot better by listening to technicians translate as I counseled patients.

For me it seems easier to let them learn English

Hi Bellalyn,

It sounds like you are very motivated to improve your medical Spanish- your tutor will be the most help along with finding ways to practice speaking all the time. I have a couple other resources you may want to check out:

1. An online conversational medical Spanish course is starting in September. It is an hour, once a week, of a live lesson and conversation facilitated by our lead instructor, Rory. This is a perfect way for you to learn and practice Spanish with other medical students and professionals. There is a beginning and intermediate option- since you already speak Spanish well, I'd recommend the intermediate course so you can focus on Spanish as it pertains to your pharmacy setting. Learn more about the course here: https://commongroundinternational.c...s/intermediate-online-medical-spanish-course/

2. Check out the bookstore if you are looking for medical Spanish/English dictionaries, tools to carry with you, textbooks, etc.: https://commongroundinternational.com/product-category/books/medical/

3. Spanish immersion/study abroad! The best way to learn a language is through immersion- if you can find a way to immerse yourself in a Spanish-speaking community, especially in a pharmacy setting DO IT! Common Ground International offers Spanish immersion trips in Costa Rica for pharmacy students throughout the year which include living with a local host family, intensive Spanish classes, medical outreach, and even placement in a local pharmacy setting for PharmD students on rotation. Learn more here: https://commongroundinternational.com/spanish-immersion/medical-spanish-immersion/

¡Buena suerte!