Least popular fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious. What is the least popular ortho fellowship to pursue?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems to vary a lot by residency program and region. A lot of people in the northeast have started to avoid sports because of an over-saturated job market... while overall I think the specialty is still popular and draws many people to the field.

I would agree that peds seems to be a fairly uncommon fellowship, though some programs produce a number of pedipods.

The most rare fellowship by far is tumor, very few residencies provide sufficient onc training (due to its rarity) and there are very few fellowship spots nationally. Often you don't even see this specialty until PGY4, when most have already picked a specialty.

Peds is relatively "unpopular" though through my experience interviewing incoming fellows it has become increasingly popular.

I was shocked to hear that shoulder/elbow is supremely unpopular. At my institution, if you applied, you got an interview. And my location is far from run of the mill.

How competitive is Spine? I've heard from residents that it's relatively easy to get a spine fellowship. Why is that considering the high reimbursement? Just patient population and the nature of the operations or is it something else?

How tough is Onc? How about the job prospects after fellowship? Given the nature of the specialty, it seems like you're signing up for a career in academics at a large tertiary hospital, yeah? What are the positive and negatives of the field? Is there a place in Onc for someone that's not super jacked on doing research for the rest of their career?