Leaving a Post-Bacc program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wi219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will it hurt my application to medical school if I leave my (non-structured) post bacc program? I'm thinking of going back to the 4 year non research university where I got my bachelors. I've got 2 A-'s in the courses I've taken at the post-bacc program. My cGPA is ~3.3 & sGPA is ~3.2 with a upward trend.

Members don't see this ad.

How much will it hurt my application to medical school if I leave my (non-structured) post bacc program? I'm thinking of going back to the 4 year non research university where I got my bachelors. I've got 2 A-'s in the courses I've taken at the post-bacc program. My cGPA is ~3.3 & sGPA is ~3.2 with a upward trend.

It will not hurt your application at all. There are lots of nontrads who decide to take classes across multiple schools due to work schedules, finances, proximity, and any number of other reasons. This is 100% a nonissue, will not be a problem.

I'm curious, why do you want to leave? Just two A- marks does not seem all that bad to me at least. I've got pretty much the same stats as you from my undergrad (cGPA: 3.2, sGPA: 3.3 [ours is just flipped]). I'm about to start my first semester for Postbaac this Fall myself.

It will not hurt your application at all. There are lots of nontrads who decide to take classes across multiple schools due to work schedules, finances, proximity, and any number of other reasons. This is 100% a nonissue, will not be a problem.

Thank you for getting back to me.
(I'm not sure if I count as a non-traditional student because I'm 25.)

I'm curious, why do you want to leave? Just two A- marks does not seem all that bad to me at least. I've got pretty much the same stats as you from my undergrad (cGPA: 3.2, sGPA: 3.3 [ours is just flipped]). I'm about to start my first semester for Postbaac this Fall myself.

The program is very good has a lot of people succeed and go to medical school but it is not a good choice for me because...
1. The advising at the program has been very unsupportive. My advisor hasn't been giving me advice or direction. She is trying to convince me to go to PA school instead of DO or MD...
2. I am a paramedic and I cannot get a job within about a 2 hour drive of the program. I would have been OK working part time and working as a secretary in the hospital or scribing in the ED but...
3. The town is expensive to live in and the program would cost over 36K a year for 12 credits. I would need to work a 60+ hour work week on my temporary job's salary (2 states away) to afford living in the city without paying for college. If it was a program like Bryn Mawr where I would have a 99% chance of getting into medical school I would take out loans and stop working.
4. I don't believe the program will get me into any PA, DO or MD school. I can do a better job at getting myself into medical school than this program can for less money while doing a job I find rewarding.
(If you want to know the program I'm in PM me)