Leaving a Volunteer Position Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aduu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to have received a volunteer position in local hospital ER six months ago and love coming here every Sunday morning. The doctors and nurses are super nice and is always glad to let me follow them around see what they do on a daily basis. However, due to having a family and working full time I noticed a drop on my performance academically so I decided to email the people in charge of the volunteer department my two weeks notification before leaving but no response. I understand if they are angry with me since I did agreed to sign up for one year but I couldn't allow this to sabotage my grade. I supposed I did sign up for more than I can handle, so my question is can I still use the 100 hours of clinical experience accumulated at this location or I shouldn't since the people in charge might have ill feeling toward me for quitting earlier than what I agreed upon?

Members don't see this ad.

That would depend on the individual policies of the hospital. Some hospitals will not provide a letter of recommendation/confirmation of services until a threshold is met, regardless of the reason of leaving. (Mine doesn't provide anything until 150 hours are met, period). would check the hospital's policy and see if you can possibly get one for the 100 hours.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm not even so sure if they even write letter of recommendation. Prior to me leaving the position the hospital was hacked and was asked for ransom by the hacker or else they will make public of patients' personal information. To make matter worse, I contact the hospital yesterday and the previous person who was in charge of the volunteer department is no longer with the hospital. I suppose, I will just find another place to complete my hours lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry much about it. As long as someone can vouch you've been there, schools don't have time to interrogate your hospital.

I get along with the charge nurse and nurses within the department pretty well but if the school were to contact the hospital to confirm will they even talk to the nurses to confirm or only to people who are currently in charge of the volunteer department?