Leaving med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I wanted to post this here because I wanted to get the perspective of those currently in the field.

i worked really hard to get into an MD program - (currently 25 yrs old ~ I had to do a post bacc and invest time and money in order to get to this point) My current med school is a privte school (over 50K + in tuition alone)

I am now an M1 - in my first month and I am not in the best state of mind. I don't know why I thought I'd be happy once I got to this point but I am questioning everything now. I feel really miserable, cannot really focus on studying, dread the labs and classes, find it hard to get out of bed, bawl every other day. I honestly don't know if I'm here for the right reasons.

I guess my question for anyone here is - how do you know when to leave medicine?

Did any of you who felt like this in med school feel good about sticking it out and getting into residency?

This sounds terrible, but I think I'm discovering that I am not as much of a people person as I originally thought. I do not really like the small talks, the constant interactions and all that

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to post this here because I wanted to get the perspective of those currently in the field.

i worked really hard to get into an MD program - (currently 25 yrs old ~ I had to do a post bacc and invest time and money in order to get to this point) My current med school is a privte school (over 50K + in tuition alone)

I am now an M1 - in my first month and I am not in the best state of mind. I don't know why I thought I'd be happy once I got to this point but I am questioning everything now. I feel really miserable, cannot really focus on studying, dread the labs and classes, find it hard to get out of bed, bawl every other day. I honestly don't know if I'm here for the right reasons.

I guess my question for anyone here is - how do you know when to leave medicine?

Did any of you who felt like this in med school feel good about sticking it out and getting into residency?

This sounds terrible, but I think I'm discovering that I am not as much of a people person as I originally thought. I do not really like the small talks, the constant interactions and all that

What school charges over $ 50,000 a year in tuition? I think there are a couple high priced ones in Boston and D.C. but that sounds ridiculous!

At any rate, residency and clinical years are a lot different from the basic sciences years. Some schools have insanely slow PBL stuff in the first and second years, and often is done to painfully torment medical student.

I personally think it is more the school/curriculum in the first two years that has you down.

If you think you are getting depressed talk to a psychiatrist, but not one associated with your medical school.

I would consider doing the two years basic sciences, take a year off to do research or something, and perhaps try to transfer to another medical school as $ 50,000 is highway robbery.

Reactions: 1 users

I think the first month of first year is a little soon to pull the trigger. The first two years of medicine are basically an extension of undergraduate. You don't even get close to what medicine is like until 3rd year. Not too many people like cell bio, biochem, etc etc.

And there are plenty of fields you don't need tons of personal contact: path, rads, etc. I mean, you have to have basic people skills to work with your colleagues, but not too much other than that.

That said, I guess if you don't like the subject matter, and you don't like the people, then maybe a different career is the answer after all. Though there was some reason you did all that post-bacc/volunteering/shadowing/science coursework, no?

Everyone doubts themselves at some point or another. Just remember that something motivated you to pursue medicine all those years, so why would you let one month of non-representative medical school sway your mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, the classic delusional medical education thought process....

Premed sucks but I just need to get into medical school and everything will be great...
Med school sucks but I just need to get to the clinical stuff and everything will be great...
Clerkships suck but I just need to get to residency and be a real doctor and everything will be great...
Residency sucks but I just need to finish and being an attending will be great...
Being a doctor sucks...

From my experience, you either love it or hate it, but things don't get better as you go along.

Reactions: 11 users
Good post above, with the 'it will be better when" thinking. So true on the medical path.

But what's really true is that we only have today. I have seen several people this week who are dying. One young person is dying before my eyes. Every day I go in and write my notes and every day I see this otherwise healthy looking, strong young man - dying. Today, he didn't even seem to be fighting it, whereas yesterday he at least had the energy to be exhausted. I mean, yesterday he still looked like a person who felt something - and today he is just an empty shell being ventilated until his parents decide to finally change his code status. Then we will remove the vent and the pressors and it will be very quick.

I try and really take things just one day at a time, and enjoy the sun and the wind and the sounds of children and be very grateful for all the gifts I have in my life.

With such high tuition, during your first year would be the time to get out. While you'd be stuck with a big debt, it is manageable. Once you go another year or two, you are stuck down that road unless you win the lotto, and you aren't going to win the lotto.

Premed sucks but I just need to get into medical school and everything will be great...
Med school sucks but I just need to get to the clinical stuff and everything will be great...
Clerkships suck but I just need to get to residency and be a real doctor and everything will be great...
Residency sucks but I just need to finish and being an attending will be great...
Being a doctor sucks...

From my experience, you either love it or hate it, but things don't get better as you go along.

Spot on!!

I think you should maybe go for some career counseling at your med school ASAP, to see if he/she can help you clarify if this is really for you, +/- talk to a therapist or something to see if you are just stressed out and maybe a little depressed. Just because you went and did a postbac, and had to try hard to get into med school, doesn't mean you have to stay there. Most med schools would also refund part of the tuition if you don't finish out the year. It is better to bail out now, if you are going to bail out, vs. waiting another couple of years by which time you'll have so much debt that you'll have to continue. Med school kind of sucks and residency isn't that much better some of the time. You have to really love medicine or it will kick your ass...make sure you're doing this for the right reasons. At the same time, don't give up just because you fear you won't be perfect enough or feel you aren't fitting in at your school right away...everyone has SOME doubt at some point about whether medicine is the RIGHT career...or at least most people do. It's demanding and it's stressful...and then there's the whole grass lookin' greener on the other side of the fence thing.

Seriously.

is it normal to feel so anxious all of the time?

how do you know if this is not for you or if this level of misery is normal??

HOW DO YOU KNOWWWWWWWW

I would consider doing the two years basic sciences, take a year off to do research or something, and perhaps try to transfer to another medical school as $ 50,000 is highway robbery.

Yeah, find a nice $40,000/year school like everyone else and live the good life.

Then don't. I don't spend much time myself embroiled in med school drama, but then I've got a healthy selection of outside interests and friends not in med school. Some people get a bit uppity if you don't stick around campus to talk about question #37 on the test we just took, but screw them, I'm going home.

Seriously.

is it normal to feel so anxious all of the time?

how do you know if this is not for you or if this level of misery is normal??

HOW DO YOU KNOWWWWWWWW

Are you miserable because you're anxious, or are you miserable and anxious? What exactly is driving you crazy - class, the people, what? Were you unhappy before school started, or did it start afterwards?

Last edited:
You need to make time for the gym. Or go get laid. Or do both. Then reevaluate.

It's only the first month of med school. My guess is that your misery has more to do with transitioning and/or you freaking out about not doing well in anatomy. Just find a different study method next time and see if it works. Not the end of the world. Nothing to get depressed about. It's just school.

Not happy about seeing the same people day in and day out? Go study/chat in a coffee shop/bookstore somewhere else.

Feeling overwhelmed? Go relieve your stress and then come back and start prioritizing.

Being a miserable **** doesn't really accomplish anything.

My suggestion is to let the first semester go as far as grades. P=MD (as far as the first semester goes). It'll give you more leeway to experiment with different study methods and help you relax.

Play it out and see how it goes, dont just quite now. Maybe things will turn arround and hey you are alreday there so nothing to loose.

Members don't see this ad :)

Being a doctor sucks...

Great post, good laugh :laugh:.

I think the first month of first year is a little soon to pull the trigger. The first two years of medicine are basically an extension of undergraduate. You don't even get close to what medicine is like until 3rd year. Not too many people like cell bio, biochem, etc etc.

Yeah but at that point it's way too late to back out because you're over 100K in the hole. Also you'd have to explain to any prospective employers that the giant 5 year hole in your resume was time you spent not getting a medical degree.

I say stick with it anyway, but if you stick you're definitely stuck.

Yeah, find a nice $40,000/year school like everyone else and live the good life.

Then don't. I don't spend much time myself embroiled in med school drama, but then I've got a healthy selection of outside interests and friends not in med school. Some people get a bit uppity if you don't stick around campus to talk about question #37 on the test we just took, but screw them, I'm going home.

Are you miserable because you're anxious, or are you miserable and anxious? What exactly is driving you crazy - class, the people, what? Were you unhappy before school started, or did it start afterwards?

I can't tell. I think it's just that I'm still in school at 25 as everyone around me is getting married, having kids, settling. I don't hate medicine - I have always found it interesting. I hate the commitment - but I have always had an issue with that. I'm just worried all the time about being at the bottom.

I'm 60K in debt from undergard and grad school and now with 1st year already over 100K in debt. With COA and the next three year that will probably skyrocket to 300K+. I can try to transfer but I hear it's really difficult.

I'm just worried. Is this worth over 300K if I'm not super passionate about it? I can tolerate it - sure, but I cannot understand why I am striving to torture myself for something I can tolerate. I guess the financial incentive, the semi-autonomy 10 years down the line, and some career stability and job security are my motivating factors. I don't think I'm the type of person who has a passion and I see medicine as a pretty good job in the end - sure, with headaches, but what jobs are really painless? Are the reasons listed above negative? No, I do not LOVE patients and helping people in the way you're supposed to love it. Medicine made sense for me on a completely detached, rational, unemotional level.

I can't tell. I think it's just that I'm still in school at 25 as everyone around me is getting married, having kids, settling. I don't hate medicine - I have always found it interesting. I hate the commitment - but I have always had an issue with that. I'm just worried all the time about being at the bottom.

I'm 60K in debt from undergard and grad school and now with 1st year already over 100K in debt. With COA and the next three year that will probably skyrocket to 300K+. I can try to transfer but I hear it's really difficult.

I'm just worried. Is this worth over 300K if I'm not super passionate about it? I can tolerate it - sure, but I cannot understand why I am striving to torture myself for something I can tolerate. I guess the financial incentive, the semi-autonomy 10 years down the line, and some career stability and job security are my motivating factors. I don't think I'm the type of person who has a passion and I see medicine as a pretty good job in the end - sure, with headaches, but what jobs are really painless? Are the reasons listed above negative? No, I do not LOVE patients and helping people in the way you're supposed to love it. Medicine made sense for me on a completely detached, rational, unemotional level.
Sounds like you're rationalizing yourself into a depression and/or want a quicker way to the top. Why are you so worried about what others are doing? And you post about debt. What about your future income?

Bottom line is,
Do you like the material so far? Or does learning it make you want to cut your head off?

I don't know how one month can put you in a tailspin. I mean if it started your first day of school then it has nothing to do with school. If it started after failing the anatomy exam, or after getting an 80 when you thought you got a 90, then this is just a huge pity party.

And practically speaking there isn't a job (that I can think of) anywhere else where you could move to any part of the country and still pull in six figures.

I can't tell. I think it's just that I'm still in school at 25 as everyone around me is getting married, having kids, settling.

In the interest of solidarity, I'll be in my 30's by the time I'm done with medical school. 25 is not that old for med school. I think 24 is average, in fact. I have no real interest in starting a family, however, so I don't know how that is supposed to work with a medical career, although plenty of people here have tried/succeeded.

I don't hate medicine - I have always found it interesting. I hate the commitment - but I have always had an issue with that. I'm just worried all the time about being at the bottom.
I think this is your saving grace. If you can enjoy the material you learn in school - not proselytize yourself, mind you, just enjoy - you can enjoy medicine. After all, what else would you rather be doing? I'm old enough to have had more than a few crappy jobs, from blue collar to white collar to whiz-bang science, and sitting around learning about stuff that interests me on a schedule that is 90% flexible rocks, if I do say so. And when I turn on the radio and hear about near 10% unemployment, I'm glad I'm in medical school.

As for being at the bottom, I wouldn't worry about it yet. If you're doing badly because you're in a funk and not studying, that's different than when you're working your a&* off and failing. Certainly, don't fail entire courses because that becomes a different sort of problem. Otherwise, your preclinical years officially mean jack. Sure, how well you do is associated with your Step 1 performance, but only the latter "matters" going forward.

I will say this, though: how much you enjoy medical school seems to have a lot to do with how well you're doing, academic-wise. Which is cause, and which is effect? I dunno.

Yes, debt sucks, and my numbers look pretty similar to yours. Don't listen to that poster screaming about tuition, however. It's amazing that he/she would be outraged by $10K/year above the average tuition cost, and then turn around and suggest that you take a year off - which would cost you in the ballpark of $200,000 in future salary and a good deal of interest on your loans.

No, I do not LOVE patients and helping people in the way you're supposed to love it. Medicine made sense for me on a completely detached, rational, unemotional level.
That's just pre-med propoganda, not medicine. You're in med school now, feel free to embrace your inner cynic.

I agree completely with what WellWornLad said. I'm on the older end of my first year class (turning 25 in a few months), and I also had a lot of issues with commitment to a career, as well as lacking passion in general. (I also have no plans to 'settle down', so I can't comment much on that, but I've seen many many people do it).

I hated organic chemistry, and said I didn't want to do medicine. I liked biology, but didn't LOVE it. I love politics (and traveling, and humor), but I knew I could never become a successful political analyst, travel writer, or Jon Stewart/Colbert Report writer *biggest sighs about the last one, to see all those emmy awards on my wall and no anatomy or biochem to study at this moment*

So, I did a masters program I loved (in policy), but reality struck when I found myself unemployed coming out, and the only job I could get was a med school (social science) research job. Turns out, I liked that job, and I found people who, as physicians, got to do some of the stuff I really was passionate about! (Namely, the director where I worked, a general medicine doctor, is on a World Economic Forum committee, hence travel to cool places like Switzerland and Dubai, and has written several best-selling books on the politics/economics of medicine, and a lot of other cool things). I was like, if I can get through the 'torture' of med school, I could do that stuff? Why the hell not?

So here I am in med school. I like it (except biochem), don't LOVE it, but know I can find something I can really enjoy down the road, and with the help with some of the contacts I made throughout my life, create a unique and fun career for myself. There's no doubt in my mind that had I NOT met the cool people I've met during grad school or my research year, I would be just as miserable as the OP.

So, to the OP, I would try to get out and meet some doctors who are doing things you envision yourself doing down the road, especially if they are sorta unrelated to medicine (were you an english major, or love to write? Look for doctors who are also writers; like politics? meet a doctor who is also a local/state representative, etc.). What I love about medicine is it is such a broad field, and there are so many diverse things you can do with it. Most of my family are engineers, and I would have found that, and even public policy, much more limiting in terms of options and potential.

And I'd also echo others to get counseling if it gets worse. :luck: to you!

(Oh, and PS, I am out of state at a public school that is well over $60k just in tuition, and the national average is probably going to hit $50k at some point while we're in school, unless health care reform turns it around, I hope)

The first semester of med school sucked royally for me. From spring of first year and through what I have done of second year, though, I have actually kind of enjoyed it. It took time for me to get used to it and to begin to grasp some of the material, which made learning more enjoyable.

As a guess, did you fail or do very poorly on an exam or two?

Stick it out a while longer. If you feel the same way in Spring you should really consider quitting.

Thanks all.

I do have a big picture of what I want to do eventually. I just feel like it's lightyears ahead of where I am now.

Studying does get to me, but it's a means to an end

Being a doctor sucks...

wonderful... depressed about my (hopeful) future in medicine already :boom::wtf:

Remember, you have options if you wish to pursue non-clinical options. You don't have to do a residency (even though I suggest that you should) to have a successful career.

Once you quit, you'll probably never have a chance to go back. Make sure you don't have any regrets.

Man, I want to quit like, every day.
I really didn't start med school with dreams of gagillion dollar homes and partying. I knew it'd be hard work. There's something about reality though that is sort of traumatizing. I just feel like I am stressed out ALL the time. I have an exam coming up ALL the time. I have to study every day otherwise I'm behind, and being behind is basically the worst thing ever because you'll never have time to catch up. Weekends are fun because they're the time when you're not getting new material and you can just study in peace. I leave every exam totally unsure of whether I've done really well, barely passed, or failed miserably. I'm basically always cranky, always sleep-deprived, and I have to force myself to eat healthy. It's a massive pain in the butt.
I think what Vandy does that's sort of great is that they try to remind you of why you're here as often as they can. It can occasionally be annoying to have stuff to do that isn't straight up studying (I'm not exactly swimming in free time here) but I find it sort of nice to shadow doctors in various fields, learn about healthcare policy, meet patients, learn some basic diagnostic stuff, etc. Ultimately that's the stuff that keeps me going to school- it sure as hell isn't what I'm learning.
I'm really not a basic science lover, I never have been. I love medicine and all its intricacies, but could care less about pathways and obnoxious minutiae. Basically, unless it directly applies to clinical medicine, it bores me to death. But whenever I'm yay close to quitting, I try to read about some crazy disease or I schedule some kind of fun shadowing thing or I go volunteer at the free clinic- whatever I can do to remind myself that I'm not here to learn biochem, I'm here because I still think medicine is the coolest thing ever.

So, OP, maybe you can look into that. Email a radiologist or a pathologist or something like that- someone who doesn't have a whole ton of patient contact and who is doing something that sounds cool to you- and go watch him/her for a bit. You'd be surprised at how much you can do when you wear a white coat, short though it may be. It might either remind you of why you're putting in what feels like superhuman effort, or it might make you decide that medicine isn't right for you after all. I do think it would help either way, though. Just something to think about :)

I think a good approach would be to change your vantage point about how you view medical school.

The first two years have nothing to do with reality of medicine. It is a tough transition point and everyone in your class is going through it. One of my professors would keep reminding me to just make it through the first two years, and this has helped a lot.

So stick with it, and you will eventually adjust to the demands and be able to deal with the stress much better.

Man, I want to quit like, every day.
I really didn't start med school with dreams of gagillion dollar homes and partying. I knew it'd be hard work. There's something about reality though that is sort of traumatizing. I just feel like I am stressed out ALL the time. I have an exam coming up ALL the time. I have to study every day otherwise I'm behind, and being behind is basically the worst thing ever because you'll never have time to catch up. Weekends are fun because they're the time when you're not getting new material and you can just study in peace. I leave every exam totally unsure of whether I've done really well, barely passed, or failed miserably. I'm basically always cranky, always sleep-deprived, and I have to force myself to eat healthy. It's a massive pain in the butt.
I think what Vandy does that's sort of great is that they try to remind you of why you're here as often as they can. It can occasionally be annoying to have stuff to do that isn't straight up studying (I'm not exactly swimming in free time here) but I find it sort of nice to shadow doctors in various fields, learn about healthcare policy, meet patients, learn some basic diagnostic stuff, etc. Ultimately that's the stuff that keeps me going to school- it sure as hell isn't what I'm learning.
I'm really not a basic science lover, I never have been. I love medicine and all its intricacies, but could care less about pathways and obnoxious minutiae. Basically, unless it directly applies to clinical medicine, it bores me to death. But whenever I'm yay close to quitting, I try to read about some crazy disease or I schedule some kind of fun shadowing thing or I go volunteer at the free clinic- whatever I can do to remind myself that I'm not here to learn biochem, I'm here because I still think medicine is the coolest thing ever.

So, OP, maybe you can look into that. Email a radiologist or a pathologist or something like that- someone who doesn't have a whole ton of patient contact and who is doing something that sounds cool to you- and go watch him/her for a bit. You'd be surprised at how much you can do when you wear a white coat, short though it may be. It might either remind you of why you're putting in what feels like superhuman effort, or it might make you decide that medicine isn't right for you after all. I do think it would help either way, though. Just something to think about :)

should have come to MSSM. at least we were pass no pass.

learning embryology makes me want to quit. :smuggrin:

I HATE THIS CLASS! :p

edit: i know this doesn't help the OP at all but just had to vent.

should have come to MSSM. at least we were pass no pass.

Yea, we're Pass/Fail too. Takes a HUGE chunk of the stress of your shoulders trust me.

It still isn't a walk in the park tho...

So, I did a masters program I loved (in policy), but reality struck when I found myself unemployed coming out, and the only job I could get was a med school (social science) research job. Turns out, I liked that job, and I found people who, as physicians, got to do some of the stuff I really was passionate about! (Namely, the director where I worked, a general medicine doctor, is on a World Economic Forum committee, hence travel to cool places like Switzerland and Dubai, and has written several best-selling books on the politics/economics of medicine, and a lot of other cool things). I was like, if I can get through the 'torture' of med school, I could do that stuff? Why the hell not?

So here I am in med school. I like it (except biochem), don't LOVE it, but know I can find something I can really enjoy down the road, and with the help with some of the contacts I made throughout my life, create a unique and fun career for myself. There's no doubt in my mind that had I NOT met the cool people I've met during grad school or my research year, I would be just as miserable as the OP.

So, to the OP, I would try to get out and meet some doctors who are doing things you envision yourself doing down the road, especially if they are sorta unrelated to medicine (were you an english major, or love to write? Look for doctors who are also writers; like politics? meet a doctor who is also a local/state representative, etc.). What I love about medicine is it is such a broad field, and there are so many diverse things you can do with it. Most of my family are engineers, and I would have found that, and even public policy, much more limiting in terms of options and potential.

Agree with this fully. I'm now 2 months in, and am mostly at a loss as to how anyone could decide they do or don't want to become a physician based on the first few months. I'm sure allo schools are pretty different, but we've mostly done dissection, bloodflows, embryology, stuff like that; nothing at all related to seeing a patient, drawing on your experiences of different physical maladies, and diagnosing their issues.

I'm writing as a person who ran a service business for years, and came to medicine because I enjoy working with people many hours a day, every day, as many physicians do -- sure I can memorize the facial muscles, attachments, and actions, but that does not mean I'll enjoy, or hate, the patient contact that seems much more important to becoming a good physician down the road. I'd suggest you shadow real docs to see if you like what they do.

Thanks all.

I do have a big picture of what I want to do eventually. I just feel like it's lightyears ahead of where I am now.

Studying does get to me, but it's a means to an end

Ok. i'll take a stab at trying to be helpful;

1. You sound depressed. Sucks. And anxious. Double sucks. There is nothing about basic sciences that reinforces the majority of characteristics that a successful 'happy' physician needs and uses. Nothing.

2. In order to get through- you need three things to fight; food, sleep, and exercise. You get these three things and you will feel better and be more able to get through. You don't and you will be tortured the whole way. if you need a psychiatrist to help you out--just do it. Nobody cares except your blood relatives. And they care in the right way. You dont get more time in residency either, and even less in practice often times.

3. The money is a separate issue. Yep mountains of debt sucks hugely. even if you finish residency and go into practice you will be in your mid 40s before you pay it off--assuming the dollar is worth anything then. I am not sure how to offer advice on this-- it seems unavoidable for you as a guess. I don't have much to offer here except you need to separate out concerns about money from concerns about fit in medicine. they are not the same.

4. Some basic science students do clinical stuff just to hang out and see it for no grade so they dont get too emeshed in just the BS ( basic sciences).

5. Finishing at the bottom - so post back after clinical rotations. whole different world. In the end, humanism counts.

6. Its not about a pat on the head anymore like in undergrad- you just dont know it yet. as you go up in years its less and less about grades. Grades do not equate to phsycian value. nobody cares. even residency programs dont care as much except the most competitive specialties. The problem is you have a mound of work and no one and nothing to get angry at--except the work - and you are alone--cuz every one else is in the same boat at some level.

7. How do you know question? -- you dont. but you will. you have to get to clinics to know for most people. its too early to truly know-- unless your a " I wanted to be a doctor my whole life" type...and that, in my opinion is a minority of folks--and guess what? Most of the folks in medical school turn out to be great docs. if you want to know now-- then spend a day in differnt clinical areas of the med school- an ER, a peds clinic, post op rounds on a floor. Nobody will tell you know most likely.

8. Yes the money and debt part still sucks. go to a cool hangout with some friends and bitch about it.

9. Did I mention exercise? Helps ya sleep and cuts anxiety too.

Good luck

I think you should get out before you spend any more money.

If you aren't 100% sure you want to be there, don't be there.

It's not the kind of thing to ride out just to see if you like it. Either you want to be a doctor or you don't. You've already answered your own question.

Doesn't make you less of a man/woman. Just means medicine isn't for you.

boo hoo.

Sorry about the harshness. I'm in my early 30's, med school in German. You have it great. Med school here is nearly free, so I have that one over you.

Get the grades, finish, and you will always be able to make that money back and have options where you can find what you like yourself within your training. To me, once you're in, you're too late to turn around. You have to finish or you'll regret it the rest of your life. The job of other med students is to tell you to leave because they think you don't deserve it, or they want the field to be less crowded. Just look at many of the posts on this forum.

Finish up, get stellar grades, and life will fall into place.

And practically speaking there isn't a job (that I can think of) anywhere else where you could move to any part of the country and still pull in six figures.

One of the best parts for me is that I can have a job nearly anywhere in the world. Various restrictions may apply, but it's the simple fact. I don't only have to work as a physician to work throughout the world, either.

And yes it will be worthwhile.

Find the area of practice you really want, irregardlessof compensation, and you will have amost fullfilling career.

And no, the cost of medical education is apporpriate. Try opening up a pizza shop. Cost hundreds of thousands, income less than 100k,chanc eof long term success, variable.

And yes it will be worthwhile.

Find the area of practice you really want, irregardlessof compensation, and you will have amost fullfilling career.

And no, the cost of medical education is apporpriate. Try opening up a pizza shop. Cost hundreds of thousands, income less than 100k,chanc eof long term success, variable.

irregardless?

Reactions: 2 users
when I get so stressed I can't stand it, there is always one thing (at least there's only one thing i can mention on here) that helps--just going to the gym for half an hour. It's worth the time and really helps get me back into the right state of mind.

I mean it really is very difficult to force myself through some of these classes but i just remind myself that i've been through much worse in my life and i just keep pushing forward. i am extremely fortunate to be in this position.

From my experience, the basic science does not end after M1-2. It goes on forever but instead of lectures and tests it becomes literature searches, pimping, round presentations, conferences, and CME credits. It's part of medicine, love it or hate it.

There are so many other healthcare career options that focus more on clinical care than being a physcian or surgeon, it always surprizes me when people hate basic science and still decide to go to medical school. Pretty much setting themselves up for misery in my opinion.

Yeah it's a tough one that's for sure.
My first term was bewildering, no idea if I'd pass or fail and tried to learn everything perfectly which basically just drives you insane because it's impossible to do. Second term I was convinced I would quit and started applying for jobs as well as skipping lectures and labs. I'm in my third term now and am lukewarm - we're covering my favourite topics and I love studying them but there's still something off.
I always liked basic sciences a lot - wasn't the best at them but good enough to get in and so I still like reading the material and enjoy going to lecture once in while. Interacting with patients is great and I've have been praised (literally) by both staff and patients we get to see for my communication skills. Exam wise I'm sucking hardcore (though still passing), but it doesn't matter usually whether I study or not...always get roughly the same grades. I mainly went into meds to do psych, but after seeing how little time and treatment you actually engage in I'd much rather do a PsyD!
All in all I'm pretty damn confused myself, but I know I'm not happy - and for those people (in this thread and otherwise) who are able to maintain good humour without having a passionate interest in medicine....well that's a skill in itself. If I were you I'd check this - then decide:

Do not make a decision yet if....

1. It is coming from a place of fear
2. It is coming from a place of insecurity
3. It is coming from a place of trauma/current bad external events
4. It is coming from a lack of discipline
5. You have not come to at least a calm place where you can evaluate things rationally

If you have resolved that you want to quit and it isn't due to any of the above, then you should.

For my own part (in case anyone who is reading actually cares), I have talents and passions in other areas and am trying to decide if they are viable options because they at least appear to make me happier. I do not fancy the idea of this medicalised, subjective form of happiness nor do I long for institutionalised happiness where you become your job. I haven't bought into the identity of being a doctor because my identity is too multi-faceted and I don't think I'm meant to do just one thing - and with medicine...that's hard.

Always keen to hear other peoples' stories. Best of luck to you.

Being a doctor sucks...

disagree, I hated preclinicals but (despite the endless scut) enjoy being in clinic and with patients. it almost makes all that studying feel like it had a purpose.

disagree, I hated preclinicals but (despite the endless scut) enjoy being in clinic and with patients. it almost makes all that studying feel like it had a purpose.

nah dude it's very important to know that ebv gets its envelope from the nuclear membrane

I prefer necrobumps that devolve into discussions on sex and penises.

Being a doctor sucks...

This post right here should be a sticky.

Yeah it's a tough one that's for sure.
My first term was bewildering, no idea if I'd pass or fail and tried to learn everything perfectly which basically just drives you insane because it's impossible to do. Second term I was convinced I would quit and started applying for jobs as well as skipping lectures and labs. I'm in my third term now and am lukewarm - we're covering my favourite topics and I love studying them but there's still something off.
I always liked basic sciences a lot - wasn't the best at them but good enough to get in and so I still like reading the material and enjoy going to lecture once in while. Interacting with patients is great and I've have been praised (literally) by both staff and patients we get to see for my communication skills. Exam wise I'm sucking hardcore (though still passing), but it doesn't matter usually whether I study or not...always get roughly the same grades. I mainly went into meds to do psych, but after seeing how little time and treatment you actually engage in I'd much rather do a PsyD!
All in all I'm pretty damn confused myself, but I know I'm not happy - and for those people (in this thread and otherwise) who are able to maintain good humour without having a passionate interest in medicine....well that's a skill in itself. If I were you I'd check this - then decide:

Do not make a decision yet if....

1. It is coming from a place of fear
2. It is coming from a place of insecurity
3. It is coming from a place of trauma/current bad external events
4. It is coming from a lack of discipline
5. You have not come to at least a calm place where you can evaluate things rationally

If you have resolved that you want to quit and it isn't due to any of the above, then you should.

For my own part (in case anyone who is reading actually cares), I have talents and passions in other areas and am trying to decide if they are viable options because they at least appear to make me happier. I do not fancy the idea of this medicalised, subjective form of happiness nor do I long for institutionalised happiness where you become your job. I haven't bought into the identity of being a doctor because my identity is too multi-faceted and I don't think I'm meant to do just one thing - and with medicine...that's hard.

Always keen to hear other peoples' stories. Best of luck to you.
It's been about 5 years. I'm sure he's figured things out by now.

Yeah I didn't check the date....but by the sounds of previous posts maybe he hasn't =/

I didn't check the date either. It would be interesting to read how this tale turned out.