Leaving Medicine for Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FletchHaris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Fletcher, and I'm going to sit here and write my long-winded story, so that someone who might have some idea as to what possibilities are in front of me, can advise me.

I graduate High school top of my class. Attended College on a 75% scholarship. To date I have about 5K in loans, all thanks to working hard at school. My school has a Guaranteed Admit program with a Medical School in our State. I got into that program at the end of my third semester at College. Sophomore year, I sat at a respectable 3.77 cGPA, 3.77 sGPA. Then, Junior year, I fell in love with my best friend, who didn't exactly love me back, and that sent me down a long road of feeling sorry for myself. My cGPA dropped to 3.60 that year. My sGPA dropped to a 3.3, because I took 36 science credits that year, my highest load. Unfortunately, that summer when she rejected me was also when I had to take my MCAT to activate my GMED. At that point, I didn't give a ****. I hated life. I got a 20 on both tries. I never opened a book.

Senior year, I decided I was going to finally grow up and realize my full potential, which all my friends were doing. I didn't want to be left behind. As a Biology major, there wasn't a huge scope of opportunities for me post-grad, so I picked up an Education major senior year, and completed all the req's. I graduated with a 3.65 cGPA and a 3.40 sGPA (Didn't take many science classes senior year). I took that MCAT after I graduated and scored a 35 (11/11/13). I'm in my first year of teaching post-grad at a Middle School in San Jose, CA. I also work as a Lab Assistant at UCSF Medical Center and have published 2 papers. I have very strong EC's/LOR's and my essays are good as well.

I'm originally a Maryland Resident, and I graduated from a Virginia School, but maintain my MD Residency.

After all this, I'm considering not applying to Medical School. I've only really had 2 career interests all my life. First, being an Anesthesiologist, and second, an Optometrist. A bit varied, but I enjoyed Optometry patient care, it's not surgery, but I like the laid back environment, and was a fan of my childhood OD. Anesthesiology is a passion as of late because I've been shadowing one since last May. He's an awesome guy, I love his lifestyle, and his work fascinates me.

1) I don't think my grades/MCAT is good enough for MD School
2) I fear Anesthesiology is a dying practice
3) I'm afraid that Optometry is a saturated field

What to do...WHAT TO DO!?!

Members don't see this ad.

1.) I think your stats are fine if you apply broadly and early
2.) I dont think it's ever a good idea to "preselect" a specialty before your even in med school. And idk if it's a dying field or not
3.) not sure about the saturation of ODs. But this is most likely the case in major cities. If your cool with rural life/not being by the coasts, there should be plenty of job opportunities in the next decade for optometrists. If you check gov websites, it'll probably project an increase in job outlook between 15-20%

If not these, there are also:
A.) going DO, as your stats would make you competitive
B.) going DPM, if your cool with podiatry and possibly podiatric surgery
C.) going PA or NP

Your GPA and MCAT are definitely good enough to land you an MD acceptance if you apply broadly. Regarding you fear of anesthesiology being a "dying field" (what are you basing this on), matching is several years away so I'd just worry about getting in at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
2.) I dont think it's ever a good idea to "preselect" a specialty before your even in med school. And idk if it's a dying field or not
3.) not sure about the saturation of ODs. But this is most likely the case in major cities. If your cool with rural life/not being by the coasts, there should be plenty of job opportunities in the next decade for optometrists. If you check gov websites, it'll probably project an increase in job outlook between 15-20%

If not these, there are also:
A.) going DO, as your stats would make you competitive
B.) going DPM, if your cool with podiatry and possibly podiatric surgery
C.) going PA or NP

Thanks for the advice, I don't think I'd consider Podiatry/PA/NP, but DO is an option. Are the match rates for DOs similar to MDs in the field of Anesthesia?

Your GPA and MCAT are definitely good enough to land you an MD acceptance if you apply broadly. Regarding you fear of anesthesiology being a "dying field" (what are you basing this on), matching is several years away so I'd just worry about getting in at this point.

I'm basing it off of conversations with the Doc I shadow, as well as articles I've read about the CRNA takeoover.

That's the key. I also feel like your stats are fine. Not significantly lower than my own stats, and I had 7 interviews, 3 acceptances, 2 pending decisions. Even if the sGPA is your limiting factor, DO schools are definitely an option (although you'll have to make sure you meet their unique application requirements). I personally feel like the entire application process is so random that as long as you apply broadly and early enough, you'll find some interested schools. Some schools might have GPA cutoffs but it'll definitely be a lot lower than 3.4. I'd say your above average MCAT score somewhat balances out your below average GPA. As with all applicants, you'll need to emphasize what unique attributes/experiences you bring to the sea of often homogeneous students.

On the topic of anesthesiology, I spent two years doing anesthesia clinical research. Our project was largely focused on automated closed-loop controls - basically, using a robot for anesthesia. There is always the fear that these machines will take away the anesthesiologist's job. But, my PI had two good points regarding this subject. First, look at the unease people have towards self-driving cars. Most people will not feel safe with a machine regulating their treatment. If nothing else, an anesthesiologist will be necessary to monitor said machine. Secondly, autopilot did not negate piloting as a profession. Anesthesiology is more than fiddling with knobs and levers, it is as patient-centric as any other specialty.

Buuut, all of that is moot until you actually get into medical school and then a residency. Who knows what you want to be four years from now?

Your stats are good, your activities are solid, I don't know where the pessimism comes from. If you like optometry, have you considered ophthalmology?