LECOM acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone recieve LECOM acceptance yet? I know that they have rolling admissions and it "rolls" from about October through June with no interview required. I sent in my app around Jan 1st and have gotten the "we received your complete app" postcard but not much else. Something tells me that it could be a long wait. Anyone go there and care to comment on their experience?

Thanks!
Jd

Members don't see this ad.

I recieved my acceptance last fall. Hang in there, they will mail you the acceptance letter. The only thing that sucks about lecom is that they don't have students dorms and i think their apartments are very expensive.
I also have been accepted to albany and duquesne. I like lecom because of its curriculum and 3-year program. I also like albany because it is all an pharmacy school so students get more attention. So, i am currently deciding which school to go to.
Anyway, hang in there.

hey whats up? yeah i sent my application to Lecom about mid-January. I've been getting those cards as well. I did get some kind of progress on my application monday. I called the admissions office and the lady gave me a short 10 minute interview over the phone. I asked wheni would hear back, and she told me anywhere from a week to about a month or so. We'll seee how long it actually does take. Hey i have a question for you guys about the school. For those of you who have applied to Lecom, are you worried about accreditation of the school?
Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think full accreditation will not be a problem for lecom. Lecom dedicated a whole new building for just their new pharmacy school. Full accreditation is achieved when the first class graduates. It is very rare for new schools not to be accredited. If for some reason(0.00001% chance), they don't get accreditation...we will still be able to get our pharmd degree. LECOM will have no problem becoming fully accredited....that is how much faith i have in the school.
But i am still deciding to choose whether to attend lecom or albany or duq.
Why did you guys apply to LECOM? What is so special about lecom?
-I really like their curriculum(only two years of classes and the third year is rotations and then you're done)
-One of the old posts(last year), stated they already have big drug chains(esp.CVS) making visits and throwing out parties, providing scholarships provided that you work for them for X # of years.
-Also, CNN.com(had an article on 04/04/02 about pharmacy shortages) which stated that 2nd pharmacy student from temple and duq were offered 90ks and given special treatments.
-Lecom does not have student dorms. To me, that is a big draw back because i don't know anyone in Erie.

later.

That's good that you've actually heard something from them. I sent my application in around the same time as you. Maybe I should give them a buzz. I can't really understand how they select their students with their rolling admissions process. Their deadlines are very wide (something like october through june). I can't figure out how they decide when the class is "full" or not, or when to start sending out the last of the acceptances. How could they possibly wait until June? As far as their accredation goes, I am not that concerned. There are several new pharmacy schools sprouting up, and LECOM has most of the hurdles overcome. To the best of my knowlege all they really have to do is graduate a class and they are in the clear. They already have a med school, and a brand new pharmacy facility, so they seem pretty legit to me. I just wish that they would communicate to the applicants better. I suppose it's tough with such a wide window of acceptance dates since they can't even really say the number of applicants until June, but I like status updates. Pharmacy is all about communication, right? :) Nice to hear that they are making some progress. Thanks for the input.

Jd

Yes, lecom takes a long time but not very long. Just keep on calling them(10cents a minute = 90k.....get it?) But thier admission staff are friendly. Hey jdpharmd, are going to pursue a jd after pharmd. Lecom applicants, please post your stats. Here are my mine.

Gpa 3.5
Age 25female
Degree in biochem
Pcat 91%(this exam was easier than my Organic II final)
Other acceptance albany and duq
Rejection uop and midwestern

Which midwestern were you rejected from? It seems like you have very good stats. I am surprized that you've heard from so many schools already. I have 4 apps submitted and I have heard no acceptances, have 2 interviews scheduled and have no rejections. I'm hoping to grab at least one acceptance pretty soon so that I can calm down. Did you apply for early admission at Midwestern? Do you have work-related experience? A Jd would be very cool, but we will just have to see what comes up. I need to get into school first, then get out, then pay some loans. Then maybe see what I want to do regarding any additional degrees. School doesn't pay very well, especially if I have a PharmD. and could be practicing...

Jd

Hey jdpharmd.
I suggest you apply albany as a back up plan(it is much easier to get into). Their 3-year program starts in the summer unlike lecom and cheaper too. But the bad thing about albany they a 4yr, 6yr and 3yrs pharmd program so when companies visit there is alot of pharmd students. But they have student dorms which is good. The only reason i applied to duq is because of that cnn article. I will post the article shortly.

later

When is albany's deadline? I thought that they had rolling admissions in which case it seems a little late. What is there deal with the 6 year thing? I have 4 years of undergrad completed, but no degree to show for it. Which midwestern turned you down and why?

Jd

Sorry, i am couldn't find the article. Firstly, apply to these early in the fall of last year. Midwestern(chicago) rejected me because of my interview(because my grades speak for themselves), i apparently was not worried about it and cared less as i already had other acceptances. One of the letter of recommendations, i did not waive my right because i didn't trust my professor so they raised questions about it during the interview.
Advice
-don't tell that you might want to pursue a jd after pharmd because they will ask you more stupid questions which you certainly don't want to know.

Why did you apply late(i know most schools have deadline in mid or late spring but they start accepting as early november(rolling admissions like albany)

GOOD LUCK.

Albany is still accepting applications(by the way, they only want one letter of recommendation) It is worth a try and you can apply online. If i were you, i would do it asap.
6-year program is for high school geeks(sorry, don't mean it in a bad way). Right after high school, you finish 2yrs of pre-pharmacy(you must certain requirements like grades) and then you automically enter the 4-yr prof school without a formal application(i think).

I was under the impression that Midwestern (Downers Grove) did not even "interview". They do have a mandatory campus visit, but I have never heard of a formal interview, especially one where they had your application materials available to them. (their website kind of contradicts this one) I think that even Midwestern (Glendale), which does require an interview, does not provide the interviewers with the student's application info. I will look into albany and maybe even give them a call tomorrow. It certinly can't hurt to keep options open.

Jd

Mrs or Mr Jdpharmd,
Anyway, midwestern(chicago) did infact interview me. I think you should thier admissions info again("...the Admissions Committee will conduct selective interviews of individual applicants)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe this is the article:

http://fyi.cnn.com/2002/fyi/teachers.ednews/04/04/pharmacist.shortage.ap/

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Paying $90,000 for a prescription may seem steep, but it's a bargain to pay the person that fills it -- at least that's what CVS Pharmacy is paying for one graduating senior at Duquesne University.

Pharmacy student Todd Markawski turned down three offers before taking an $80,000-a-year job plus a $10,000 relocation bonus with the company in Cleveland.

Thanks to a record number of new drugs, aging baby boomers taking more medication and the proliferation of managed health care, colleges across the country can't seem to graduate students fast enough to fill the nationwide shortage of pharmacists.

Kelly Stell, a second-year pharmacy student at University of Pittsburgh, said she's been treated well by Rite Aid -- as an intern.

Rite Aid was willing to transfer her an hour east of Pittsburgh to Westmoreland County so she could spend the summer with her family.

"They're happy when they get any intern," said Stell, 22.

A study released by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services shows the number of unfilled full- and part-time drug store pharmacists climbed from 2,700 in 1998 to nearly 7,000 in 2000, the most recent figures available.

Pharmacists are also busier. In 1999, retail pharmacists filled 2.8 billion prescriptions, up 44 percent from 1992.

"It's nationwide," said Lucinda Maine of the American Pharmaceutical Association about the shortage. "It's across all settings and it appears it will be long standing. There's no quick remedy."

High salaries and perks
College officials say they're trying to meet the demand by offering accelerated courses and increasing class size, while pharmacies and hospitals are in a bidding war, offering bonuses and tuition reimbursement.

A graduate of the nation's 83 pharmacy schools can expected to make between $70,000 and $75,000, or as much as $90,000 in states like California, where the shortage is more severe, Maine said.

Gary Stoehr, associate dean at University of Pittsburgh's School of Pharmacy, says six of his students were treated to a trip to Florida while interning at Walgreens.

"They were showing them what they have to offer in hopes that they would come to work for them later," said Stoehr.

Hospitals, which generally pay less, are using creative incentives. UPMC Health System, for example, offers tuition forgiveness for students.

"They know they can pick and choose," said Stoehr. "The interviewers are asking them, 'Where do you want to go and when do you want to go?'"

University of Arkansas pharmacy student John Kirtley said he has received calls from the likes of Walgreens and Wal-Mart with job offers that pay as much as $85,000, plus profit sharing.

"I'm feeling really good about it," said Kirtley, 23. "There's a lot of opportunity. I'm sure everyone in my class is going to find a job."

Rushing to create programs
Meanwhile, some colleges without pharmacy schools are rushing to create them, and others with established programs are trying to train more pharmacists faster.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie will open a pharmacy school this fall, enrolling 78 students in a three-year professional degree program once they have completed the prerequisites, said college spokesman Pierre Bellicini. Pharmacy school typically takes six years to complete -- two to complete prerequisite courses and four for the professional degree.

Gordon Vanscoy, assistant dean at Pittsburgh's School of Pharmacy, said officials are trying to increase enrollment as well. He said class size dropped from 120 five years ago to just about 80.

Vanscoy said the shortage has become more critical than ever because patients rely on a pharmacist's expertise to check for drug interactions.

"There are a quarter million deaths per year due to adverse drug reaction," said Vanscoy. "We need to have someone take responsibility for that."

Gee thanks.... i couldn't find the article. This is how i came to know about lecom. Which schools have you applied to(bmbiology)

Originally posted by tristan
Gee thanks.... i couldn't find the article. This is how i came to know about lecom. Which schools have you applied to(bmbiology)

UCSD--interviewed 1/11: waiting
USC--interviewed 1/25: accepted on 2/14
Western--interviewed 1/28: waiting
UCSF--interviewed 1/31: waiting
UOP---interview set on 3/7: withdraw

Thanks for posting the article. The 7,000 number seems small since I have been hearing that there will be something like 120,000 short in 2010 or 2020. I don't know how reliable my info is, but I think that I saw it on a pretty reputable site. It's articles that you posted that cause such an inrease in applications, for better or worse. Of course they also cause an increase in the number of schools as well.

Jd

I called LECOM today to see if any progress was made regarding the status of my application, and I got the same rather generic answer that I've gotten in the past. They just say "You will be notified between now and June". I did not get the "quickie" 10 minute interview like some of you said you have gotten, but I did express my interest in the program. It didn't seem to make much of a difference. For those of you who go the phone "interview", who conducted it (on their side)? Also, now that I look back, I didn't get my app in until late Jan, maybe they just haven't gotten that far yet.

Jd

I called albany today and looked at their website. They actually appear MUCH harder to get into than LECOM. They told me that their accepted applicants so far had average GPAs of between 3.5 and 3.7 and there were only about 20 spaces open at the "3rd year" (1st professional year) transfer level. Why do you think that it's so much easier to get into (since you got into both programs)? Dorms are of no consequence to me, I haven't lived on campus for 3 years, and I don't plan on going back. I would not base your decision on the housing accomodations. Right now, if I were you, I think that I would seriously consider albany, but I have not visited their campus and know little more than is available on their website or from their (friendly) admissions staff.

Jd

(tristan said:)

Hey jdpharmd.
I suggest you apply albany as a back up plan(it is much easier to get into). Their 3-year program starts in the summer unlike lecom and cheaper too. But the bad thing about albany they a 4yr, 6yr and 3yrs pharmd program so when companies visit there is alot of pharmd students. But they have student dorms which is good. The only reason i applied to duq is because of that cnn article. I will post the article shortly.

later

Why do you strongly suggest albany? Have you seen thier curriculum.
You see all the classes i applied to are not in my home state. So, housing is my main concern at the moment. I am very poor so i cannot afford to buy a car during pharmacy school which is why i say dorms are A+ when coming to choose which school.
I really like lecom because of its curriculum and how they set it up. They don't have dorms so i am wondering how far the apartments away from the campus. I've never been there(if you have, please let me know).
I visited albany. There are so many pharmd students that you can easily get lost in. More students = less faculty attention. The campus is alright. Albany is cheaper and has dorms is why i like it.
So, i am currently indecisive but i will take any comments that anyone things(which is better...lecom,albany, duq... and why) to help me decide.
The reason albany is easier because you can fill out the application in one night and get over it without the hassle of mailing it and you need only one letter of recommendation for heavens sake. They are fast in response if they want you. If you got at least 3.0gpa and above...my friend you are in.
The reason lecom might be taking "so long" is because thier class doesn't start till sept.30(just say october).

For those of you wondering about LECOM - I am a current student in the pharmacy program. It is a good program and it should easily get accreditted. A lot of schools are having a hard a time finding professors but we had all of our professors hired before the first day of school which I think says something.....
Living in Erie is cheap and finding a place close to school is easy. There are many 2 bedroom apartments available from 400-800. If you want it cheap, just get a roommate - and LECOM will help match you.....

Hey THF,
I thought everybody on this forum was a pre-pharm student. I have a bunch of questions about lecom as i am currently deciding which school to attend. If you can help, i would really appreciate.
You stated that it is cheap. How much does it cost a whole year(tuition, books, $400 apartment and others) because the lecom.edu does not clearly state if 43k/year is for the DOs or Pharmds

What is Erie like?

Do you need to have a car for transportation reasons(no dorms)?

What classes do you suggest i review before pharm.school?

How are the faculty?

Are you in class all the day long since it's accelerated?

Are Lecom's pharmd classes(syllabus) like undergraduate courses in terms of tests, quizes, assignment? Are they really tough?

Why do they start so late in the fall(sept 30) by that time there is only 2months left in the whole fall semester. Do they squeeze 15weeks of academics into 10wks?

Finally, what is so good about lecom?

thanks for the help

tristan

Originally posted by tristan
Hey THF,

What is Erie like?

The Erie area is depressed although Milcreek (close to LECOM) is the nice part of town....

Do you need to have a car for transportation reasons(no dorms)?

I would recommend one

What classes do you suggest i review before pharm.school?

A&P and biochemsitry - it will make your first semester easier.

How are the faculty?
Very knowledgable.

Are you in class all the day long since it's accelerated?
20 hours a week, plus a little more for labs.

Are Lecom's pharmd classes(syllabus) like undergraduate courses in terms of tests, quizes, assignment? Are they really tough?
This is a pharm d program so no, it is not undergrad level. More is expected of you than in undergrad.

Why do they start so late in the fall(sept 30) by that time there is only 2months left in the whole fall semester. Do they squeeze 15weeks of academics into 10wks?

I don't know why the late start and you don't get 15 weeks of academic work in 10 weeks.....

Finally, what is so good about lecom?

Its a 3 year program, I was in state, location, friendly and helpful staff, etc.

Even though it is a new program, the school is very committed to making it succeed.

thanks for the help

tristan

tristan, i also heard good things about lecom. You should go for it.
I am not so sure about companies throwing out parties or visiting or hiring students since the school just opened last september.

Originally posted by phar
tristan, i also heard good things about lecom. You should go for it.
I am not so sure about companies throwing out parties or visiting or hiring students since the school just opened last september.

Actually, there has been quite of bit of hiring of LECOM students, just about everyone has an internship who wants one. CVS seems to be the most interested in LECOM students, they were on campus early for interviews. And they did throw a nice Christmas after finals for us......

I wouldn't worry about getting hired coming out of ANY pharmacy school. I don't think that there's a single pharmacy school in the nation without recruiters there at least 2 or 3 times per semester (or quarter or whatetver). It seems like wallgreens or CVS or Rite Aid own the place! I have more free pens and notepads and business cards than I know what to do with. Any school will be swarming with recruiters. There isn't even space on our (huge) bulletin board to post anything because there are so many job offers already posted.

Jd

yeah lecom has a respected program

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How the times have changed. I wonder where OP and other posters are??

Reactions: 1 user