LECOM-B vs CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyboi1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cycle is over, I have been accepted to 5 schools, but have narrowed it down to LECOM-B or CUSOM.

LECOM-B:

Pros:
- Beautiful location
- Excellent board scores
- Cheap tuition (33k)
- PBL- sounds like an interesting way to learn medicine

Cons:
- PBL- no structure, gotta read 800+ pages, no direction or support from faculty
- Weak rotations from what I hear
- Weaker sense of community/disconnect from staff/administration

CUSOM:

Pros:
- Excellent staff, great sense of community
- Aunt lives 45 minutes away
- State of the art facilities
- Affiliated with Campbell University- can use their facilities
- 94% pass rate on COMLEX and 100% on USMLE,, and good board prep

Cons:
- Location is very rural, nothing to do
- New school, no reputation yet, no word on rotations or anything
- Provisional accreditation

I am so torn, I am leaning strongly towards CUSOM, but part of me cant let go of LECOM-B, because of the location and excellent board scores.. I need some guidance and want to hear everyhting from you guys! I am going nuts over here! I have until December 8th for both schools

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!! I wasn't a huge fan of PBL so personally I would choose CUSOM. That being said, LECOM-B has low tuition and like you said, great board scores. I just felt like LECOM PBL wasn't at all how I pictured medical school. Also they didn't accept me! Haha, good luck with your decision and bravo on the acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! I wasn't a huge fan of PBL so personally I would choose CUSOM. That being said, LECOM-B has low tuition and like you said, great board scores. I just felt like LECOM PBL wasn't at all how I pictured medical school. Also they didn't accept me! Haha, good luck with your decision and bravo on the acceptances.

Thanks I appreciate the response! I agreee with you, I feel like the location is nice for LECOM-B, but why am i paying them, when they arent even really teaching me? I felt a greater sense of community from ACOM and CUSOM, but since ACOM and CUSOM were so much similar, and my aunt lives 45 minutes from CUSOM, I have friends there, I eliminated ACOM. LECOM-B just didnt get that community vibe!

Thanks I appreciate the response! I agreee with you, I feel like the location is nice for LECOM-B, but why am i paying them, when they arent even really teaching me? I felt a greater sense of community from ACOM and CUSOM, but since ACOM and CUSOM were so much similar, and my aunt lives 45 minutes from CUSOM, I have friends there, I eliminated ACOM. LECOM-B just didnt get that community vibe!

What do you mean by "community vibe"? I am a current MS1 at LECOM-B and I personally feel that my class and most of the faculty is very close. It sounds cheesy but my PBL group is my family away from home. We eat together, study together, party together (when we can), vent together, etc. We don't really like the top administration but this is common in a lot of medical schools and isn't a huge deal for most of us. If you have any specific questions about LECOM, feel free to message me. I will answer your questions honestly because I had some concerns before coming here as well.