LECOM Bradenton Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I looked in my admissions portal this morning and my status has changed to "The Admissions Committee requests all letters of recommendation before making a decision on your file." What does this mean? I applied last year and received an interview, but I withdrew my application before the interview. Did I ruin my chances at this school by doing that??

Members don't see this ad.

I looked in my admissions portal this morning and my status has changed to "The Admissions Committee requests all letters of recommendation before making a decision on your file." What does this mean? I applied last year and received an interview, but I withdrew my application before the interview. Did I ruin my chances at this school by doing that??

i received this status too, but its my first time applying. i am a feeling mine is because of my iffy mcat score n they want my letters to determine whether they will give me an interview invite or not.

Thanks guys! Im going to give them until next week, and then I will be sure to call!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting thing happened today.

I've had the "under review" status for quite a long time, so I decided to call them. The lady on the phone told me that it was weird I didn't get an interview, and she went to look at my file. When she came back, she asked me "so which day would you want to come in for an interview?" :D that's how I got my interview invite haha

I'm going to go out on a limb and and say yes. What was your logic behind turning down interviews before you had an acceptance?

I'm going to go out on a limb and and say yes. What was your logic behind turning down interviews before you had an acceptance?

Right after I started applying my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and progressively got worse. I did not want to leave the area while she was sick and therefore I withdrew my applications from every school I applied to. She has since passed away so now there is no need for me to remain in my home town.

SO When I log in I get this message for my status:

"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Doesnt sound too good. I'm guessing rejection but wanted to see what anyone else thought or if you've had this status too.

SO When I log in I get this message for my status:

"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Doesnt sound too good. I'm guessing rejection but wanted to see what anyone else thought or if you've had this status too.

I remember someone from last year got this message... and it was a rejection letter ): I hope I'm wrong, but it's a big possibility. I'm sorry :(

Well, there are two choices for the admin 1. it's a rejection, or 2. they interview. Since we know for a fact you receive an email for the interview, it cannot be that. So I am sorry about that. What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Well, there are two choices for the admin 1. it's a rejection, or 2. they interview. Since we know for a fact you receive an email for the interview, it cannot be that. So I am sorry about that. What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

i am so scared too if i will even get an interview. my mcat is too low :(

Right after I started applying my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and progressively got worse. I did not want to leave the area while she was sick and therefore I withdrew my applications from every school I applied to. She has since passed away so now there is no need for me to remain in my home town.
Im sorry to hear that man. My best friend was just going through a similar situation with his grandfather and law school, and unfortunately his grandfather passed last week so his decision was made for him. If I were you I would make sure that all the schools you dropped before are aware of this because if they are not they will just assume that you dropped them for a stupid reason and that will probably be the end of your app. I cant remember who it was right now but there was someone from last cycle that had gotten in during the 2009-2010 cycle and did not attend but was reapplying for some reason. Despite her great GPA and like 33 MCAT she did not even get an interview.

Im sorry to hear that man. My best friend was just going through a similar situation with his grandfather and law school, and unfortunately his grandfather passed last week so his decision was made for him. If I were you I would make sure that all the schools you dropped before are aware of this because if they are not they will just assume that you dropped them for a stupid reason and that will probably be the end of your app. I cant remember who it was right now but there was someone from last cycle that had gotten in during the 2009-2010 cycle and did not attend but was reapplying for some reason. Despite her great GPA and like 33 MCAT she did not even get an interview.

Who can I contact and give that information to at LECOM-B? p.s. I'm a girl!! lol

Who can I contact and give that information to at LECOM-B? p.s. I'm a girl!! lol
Haha in my book dude is unisex. I even say that to my mom on occasion. Hmmm I would call Ron Shively's office. You will probaby have to speak to Sarah Buck she is his gate keeper, but is very nice and helpful. Ron is probably the most helpful one on the matter and will definitely be willing to speak with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Have any of you tried to reschedule your assigned interview? I'm interviewing at another school in Florida end of August and it would be nice if I only had to make one trip out there. I keep trying to get a hold of Britney at the admissions office but haven't heard back from her yet.

Hey all,

I'm not sure if you saw this, but if you have bought a ticket over the last week weeks, make sure you check out your receipt and taxes paid. Technically, the FAA isn't collecting its normal fees, so your ticket should be cheaper than usual (about $30).

However, most of the airlines raised their ticket prices! The IRS is saying you should get a refund. Make sure you spread the news around. I posted the article from the Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/30/faa-shutdown_n_912820.html

I hope this helps some of you get some money back for expensive plane rides to Florida.

I have a day to do some sightseeing before my interview. What should I do any suggestions?

Which hotels are you guys staying at? I called some of them, and none of them really offer free shuttles to/from the airport and to/from LECOM

I have a day to do some sightseeing before my interview. What should I do any suggestions?
Since you are from the north I would definitely suggest going to Lido Key. The drive out there is beautiful and the beach is amazing. Others may say siesta but you probably won't have time to properly enjoy the beach anyway so that place is useless. Outside of beachy things there aren't really any great sight seeing experiences here. Lucky Pelican is a great option for dinner as well if you are into seafood. I am heading there tonight for my pregame meal since we have our first test tomorrow.

Last edited:
I have a 3.6 cgpa and 3.65 sgpa
my MCAT is august 23 but im only scoring between 22- 25

I am really interested in LECOM-B...do you think I still have a chance?

Since you are from the north I would definitely suggest going to Lido Key. The driver out there is beautiful and the beach is amazing. Others may say siesta but you probably won't have time to properly enjoy the beach anyway so that place is useless. Outside of beachy things there aren't really any great sight seeing experiences here. Lucky Pelican is a great option for dinner as well if you are into seafood. I am heading there tonight for my pregame meal since we have our first test tomorrow.

Sounds good... I see there is an aquarium there, thought about that but not a for sure, thanks for the dinner idea! Do we get to meet any students? You should wear a 'gators' pin or something so we know it's you ;)

I have a 3.6 cgpa and 3.65 sgpa
my MCAT is august 23 but im only scoring between 22- 25

I am really interested in LECOM-B...do you think I still have a chance?

If you get a 22 then it is probably over for you, but if you got a 25+ with your GPA then I think you would get some consideration. Do you have a lot of ECs or a great life story to make up for a low MCAT?

I logged on to the candidate portal this morning and the admissions tab where you view the admissions status was missing... does anyone else have this problem?

I submitted my secondary on 7/27 and it still says "They received it, please wait blah blah". I submitted Erie's the same day, was marked as "Being Reviewed" within a week and got an Interview Invite today. Should I ask Bradenton what's up, or am I just being typical SDN Neurotic?

I submitted my secondary on 7/27 and it still says "They received it, please wait blah blah". I submitted Erie's the same day, was marked as "Being Reviewed" within a week and got an Interview Invite today. Should I ask Bradenton what's up, or am I just being typical SDN Neurotic?

Lol, I was thinking this a couple weeks ago... so I just called Bradenton and asked why it was taking so long. They probably give everyone the same general answer: It will be reviewed soon. But I did get an interview invite last week, and I submitted the 2ndary on 6/28...

I submitted 7/20, and I haven't heard anything either. I think they're just slowly making their way through applications. I wouldn't rush it too much. Remember that LECOM doesn't follow the typical Dec 15th deposit deadline.

Everyone just needs to SLOW DOWN! If your questioning why you haven't gotten an interview invite yet, then you need to stop being so arrogant and stop worrying. If you honestly think there is a chance your app fell out of the pile only then should you call the admin. and ask whats up.

Mine was screwed up at Erie, there was a glitch that caused it to be missed... Other people have had similar issues... I wouldn't call though, I'd send a nice email :)

I've got an 8/26 interview date. I had an 8/12 but had to switch it because of a prior engagement. I hope that 2 week difference won't hurt me too bad.

Interview 8/26 Flying in at midnight the night before :(, flying out 8/26
$254 Flight Michigan to Tampa
$69 Hotel country in and suites
$32 Car Rental

27Q
3.8 Cum GPA

For those that already interviewed, did they ask the same 12 questions that are posted on the internet?

The first question was the tell me something not on your file question.
The rest, in no particular order are:
1. Why osteopathy?
2. Medical school is stressful, how do you relieve yourself of stress.
3. Tell me about your leadership roles, describe.
4. How do you resolve conflict.
5. Tell me about your communication, are you better written or verbal.
6. Strengths (it was worded differently, but I can remember how)
7. After my strengths he said, "and what do you need to work on?"
8. I was asked something about PBL
9. Give an example of when a group approach worked better than an individual.
10. What would be some reasons to choose a D.O over an MD.
11. Have you been treated by a DO.
12. Summarize the article on xxx (it was an easy and interesting read, so don't sweat it).

BSEE and MBA
3.97 GPA post bach classes 42 credits.

Last edited:
Interview 8/26 Flying in at midnight the night before :(, flying out 8/26
$254 Flight Michigan to Tampa
$69 Hotel country in and suites
$32 Car Rental

27Q
3.8 Cum GPA

For those that already interviewed, did they ask the same 12 questions that are posted on the internet?

The first question was the tell me something not on your file question.
The rest, in no particular order are:
1. Why osteopathy?
2. Medical school is stressful, how do you relieve yourself of stress.
3. Tell me about your leadership roles, describe.
4. How do you resolve conflict.
5. Tell me about your communication, are you better written or verbal.
6. Strengths (it was worded differently, but I can remember how)
7. After my strengths he said, “and what do you need to work on?”
8. I was asked something about PBL
9. Give an example of when a group approach worked better than an individual.
10. What would be some reasons to choose a D.O over an MD.
11. Have you been treated by a DO.
12. Summarize the article on xxx (it was an easy and interesting read, so don’t sweat it).

BSEE and MBA
3.97 GPA post bach classes 42 credits.

Any answer you get will be useless. Of everyone ive talked to there is not really any common theme among the interviews. I had 2 professors pretty much crawl up my butt to examine me while other people talked about racquetball and the beach. Just be prepared to talk about ANYTHING that is on your app and don't read into how your interviewers act during the interview. I had Drs. Luizzi and Heibel and i thought they hated me the whole time. Then i got heibel for the PBL session i sat in on. He could not have been a better facilitator and Luizzi is just freakin hilarious in lectures so far this year. :luck:

Maybe they do that to see how you handle it??

How long do you have after they give you admission to pay to hold your spot?

Does your deposit count towards either FL or PA branches? or how does that work? PA seperate from FL?

How long do you have after they give you admission to pay to hold your spot?

Does your deposit count towards either FL or PA branches? or how does that work? PA seperate from FL?
I've read they give you 30 days after you receive an acceptance to decide, and the deposit is $1500. I believe the FL and PA branches are separate. I was actually debating if I should schedule this interview for last, since you only have 30 days to decide, but maybe I'm thinking way too far in advance...

I've read they give you 30 days after you receive an acceptance to decide, and the deposit is $1500. I believe the FL and PA branches are separate. I was actually debating if I should schedule this interview for last, since you only have 30 days to decide, but maybe I'm thinking way too far in advance...

I got an interview for LECOM-E today! Scheduled for first day open 10/7/2011 :)

I got an interview for LECOM-E today! Scheduled for first day open 10/7/2011 :)
Congrats!!! I've been waiting on Erie forever (been complete since very early July); it was actually my first choice compared to Bradenton. I'm a bit iffy about PBL for me. Good luck on your interview! :)

Congrats!!! I've been waiting on Erie forever (been complete since very early July); it was actually my first choice compared to Bradenton. I'm a bit iffy about PBL for me. Good luck on your interview! :)

Yea I would like to know more about PBL... maybe it will be more structured then i think it will be..

YEa i know wrong thread...... :p

Yea I would like to know more about PBL... maybe it will be more structured then i think it will be..

At the interview you get to sit in on a 2nd year PBL session. Its scary until you start school. Then you realize why would I sit in lecture all day and then go home and study for a bunch of hours when I could go to school for 2 hrs 3 times a week and have all of that time in school be incredibly useful, while then going home and studying for a bunch of hours. You are studying more than you ever have either way, this way you can do it while others are in lecture and you get to be engaged the whole time you are in class.

It's not. Well, kind of. I'll explain briefly.

You meet, get Page 1 of a case, which is something like, "Joe Bob, a 65yo male, presents to the ED with chest pain."

You talk about a differential diagnosis (Ddx) for a bit, then do a mock role-playing interview, where someone plays doc and someone plays patient (with a patient script, doc has to wing it).

Then, you get a page detailing the history of the case that you just role-played. This is basically what would be typed up in an EMR or written in the chart. You talk about this, and anything complicated is discussed. Then, you work on your DDx.

Then you get an exam page (maybe after discussing what MIGHT be findings you'd expect on the exam of an MI patient). You go over that and talk about or look up any terms you don't know.

This is probably the end of day 1 for the case. You might get to a lab work page, but maybe not.

At the end of the day the group picks what chapters they want to read before the next session (usually have about 1.5 days to read these).

For this case, a group might pick: Heart anatomy, 3-4 heart physiology chapters, maybe some mitochondria biochem (for reaction to injury stuff), maybe some heart path (more likely in second year, lots of 1st years shy away from path at first), maybe some pharm for related drugs later in the case.

So there you have your "homework." Come back, you've read, the case progresses, you pick more readings. At the end of the case, the group picks which chapters were most relevant that the group wants to be tested on. Most groups wind up picking the same topics (with some variation) so although each group gets a different test, (which includes ~4-7 cases and ~25-40 chapters) the tests are still largely similar to each other, because if you get an MI case, you're going to pick Heart Physiology. It's a "duh-we're-supposed-to-pick-this" chapter.

Is that enough structure for you? Maybe, maybe not. They don't tell you exactly what to read. The amount of structure during group meetings varies depending on your facilitator (teacher). Some facilitators barely talk, and expect the group to lead themselves. Others are very hands-on and talk too much. Most are somewhere in between and help you out if you get stuck or give you some important clinical correlations that you might miss otherwise.

You can find more detailed descriptions elsewhere on SDN, but that's the basic gist. As a 4th year, I will say that PBL is great at preparing you for rotations, as you're very used to seeing and interpreting labs, reading charts, thinking of DDx, etc. I think it smooths the transition to 3rd year a bit. A bit. lol. Hope that helps.

My admissions status just switch to: "Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made."

If they're going strictly in order of submission, it sounds like secondary apps submitted around late July are beginning to be sent to the Admissions Committee for review. At least that's how I read the status. Fingers crossed that it's nothing negative :xf:

What are you guys doing about transportation?

I'm flying out on the 25th, leaving on the 26th after the interview. I'm probably going to rent a car; where is the best place to do it?

I went on priceline, bid 14$ for a compact, and paid 50$ for Sat-Mon...

Those that interview yesterday, how was it? I'm interviewing next friday, and I wouldn't mind some advice. thanks.

anyone else able to verify that you get 30 days to pay and hold your spot?

Under 25 will have a surcharge

Does LECOM-B have the same ~2 week time frame for deciding on whether you're accepted or rejected once you interview?

It’s a lot different than previous years. The interview day starts out with an introduction to the school and to PBL. Then you do a 1 on 1 interview for 10 minutes with one of the admissions people followed by a 1 hour sit in on a PBL session (which is boring but you really get a feel for PBL which is awesome!). Next you do a group interview with about 6-7 other people and two admissions people, followed by lunch. The rest of the day is a campus tour and financial aid information. All in all everyone was very nice, very relaxed, no need to stress. I would still know answers to the questions posted on here, but with only 10 minutes to interview there isn't much time for them to interrogate you. Good luck!

What was the group interview like? I'm assuming the 6-7 other people were fellow applicants? and do the 2 admissions people just pick people popcorn style for questions or what?