LECOM-Bradenton or AZCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0pefulD0c

AZCOM Class 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I have been accepted to both LECOM-Bradenton and AZCOM (yay), however, I can't decide between the two. Basically, I have a pretty good roommate situation setting up in Arizona and I have some friends there. Both schools are approximately the same distance from family, so that's not a factor either. LECOM is about $20k/year less, however. I like both cirriculum styles, so that's not really an issue for me.

So, basically it comes down to a lot of money or having a more stable base of friends when I move initially. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically there's one difference. 30,000.

I'd be going to LECOM-B, they're obviously doing something right to be scoring god tier on the boards like they are.

I interviewed at both schools and liked both, however I felt they were extremely different. I honestly think you should go with your gut on this one.

I know people claim money is a big factor (which yes it is) but I wouldn't base your decision off that. The major thing is curriculum and only you know how you do best - are you a self learner or a lecture learner? Also rotations - do you want to move around a lot or do you want one area your third year?

Personally, even though the money would be hard to swallow, I'd probably choose AZCOM because I like their curriculum and rotation set up better. I also like to drink coffee, in comfy clothes, at school lol ;)

But ultimately EVERYONE is different and there will be people that disagree with everything I just said. Go where you think you fit and will excel the most because both produce good board scores, and you ultimately have control of your success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically there's one difference. 30,000.

I'd be going to LECOM-B, they're obviously doing something right to be scoring god tier on the boards like they are.

My friend at Erie said LECOM has you take a pre-COMLEX and if you do not pass it they don't let you take the boards. The statistic is inflated.

• Moneywise, LECOM-B is the best if you're an IS applicant. Period.
  • Weather is much better in Sarasota, FL year-long compared to AZ.
  • You'd be able to find peacefull and very affordable housing close to school.
  • No need to talk about that some of the best beaches of this country are located in/around Sarasota.
  • LECOM-B has a great reputation and affiliations with hospitals in FL, if you wanna end up working in here.
  • Most of the residency programs are located in the east coast. So, you might end up finding that it's much easier to rotate your clinicals and go for residency interviews being a student at LECOM-B.
  • However, if you don't like PBL or the strict dress code policy, just scratch it out from your list.

My friend at Erie said LECOM has you take a pre-COMLEX and if you do not pass it they don't let you take the boards. The statistic is inflated.

Wow!.. I haven't heard anything about it. Some of the carib schools (like Ross) do the same to their students, too. Now I feel that I did the right thing by not applying to LECOM-B in the first place.

So, how many times the students can take that pre-COMLEX at LECOM-B?

it all comes down to which curriculum you prefer as the ones offered by the two schools are completely different. I personally turned down AZCOM because I find their 52K tuition to be ridiculous. The cost difference over the span of 4 years plus interest is quite significant.

Wow!.. I haven't heard anything about it. Some of the carib schools (like Ross) do the same to their students, too. Now I feel that I did the right thing by not applying to LECOM-B in the first place.

Even though I wouldn't choose LECOM-B as stated above, I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. Yes it skews their numbers potentially, but it also prevents unknowingly unprepared students from taking a test they may fail. I'd feel better going into it knowing I passed the "fake test" lol but that's just me!

Last edited:
I was accepted at Bradenton but decided not to go. Lately I've started questioning my decision, but the I think the most important thing to consider is PBL and you have to ask yourself if you prefer to learn independently. From what I was told, they are in class around ~10-12 hours per week for the cases and the rest is up to you. Some students (i.e. most of my classmates) need the lecture-based curriculum, the structure, and the pace created by the school.

When you are pre-med it is easy to get caught up in less important aspects of the school. I say this because I did it too. But after you start school, things like attendance policies can really get on your nerves. Or maybe you find out you study better on your own and don't get much out of lecture. Location may seem important but then you find out once school starts that you have no free time to even explore the new town you live in. Schools may have a nice campus, a nice anatomy lab, etc but you may find out later that you don't really care about these things anymore. So I say this because it would have been nice had someone been blunt with me when I was in your situation, choosing between schools. I think it's more important to reflect on your own style of learning/studying and how this matches up with the school's curriculum. Also tuition is something I would definitely factor in. Hope this helps.

** Also, it is true that LECOM requires students to pass their pre-COMLEX test before they are allowed to take the real thing. So yes, the number is inflated in that sense.

I did tons of browsing around SDN when I was deciding between schools and Bradenton students had number of posts clarifying that as long as you have a 3.0 , the school does not stop you from sitting for the boards. I have read conflicting information also so I am not 100% on this.

I was accepted at Bradenton but decided not to go. Lately I've started questioning my decision, but the I think the most important thing to consider is PBL and you have to ask yourself if you prefer to learn independently. From what I was told, they are in class around ~10-12 hours per week for the cases and the rest is up to you. Some students (i.e. most of my classmates) need the lecture-based curriculum, the structure, and the pace created by the school.

When you are pre-med it is easy to get caught up in less important aspects of the school. I say this because I did it too. But after you start school, things like attendance policies can really get on your nerves. Or maybe you find out you study better on your own and don't get much out of lecture. Location may seem important but then you find out once school starts that you have no free time to even explore the new town you live in. Schools may have a nice campus, a nice anatomy lab, etc but you may find out later that you don't really care about these things anymore. So I say this because it would have been nice had someone been blunt with me when I was in your situation, choosing between schools. I think it's more important to reflect on your own style of learning/studying and how this matches up with the school's curriculum. Also tuition is something I would definitely factor in. Hope this helps.

** Also, it is true that LECOM requires students to pass their pre-COMLEX test before they are allowed to take the real thing. So yes, the number is inflated in that sense.

great advice :thumbup:

Even though I wouldn't choose LECOM-B as stated above, I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. Yes it skews their numbers potentially, but it also prevents unknowingly unprepared students from taking a test they may fail. I'd feel better going into it knowing I passed the "fake test" lol but that's just me!

Well, the student himself/herself should be able to make that decision to take the COMLEX, not his/her school.

And, I wonder if there's a limit on how many times a student can take that pre-COMLEX exam before beeing inhibited completely?

Well, the student himself/herself should be able to make that decision to take the COMLEX, not his/her school.

I can see where you're coming from on that. Guess you can just add that to the laundry list of annoying rules that LECOM has to offer! :thumbdown: ;)

However, sounds like a pretty DUMB student to go sit for an exam after they just failed the practice. Just my two cents though :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Ross holds you back a year. LECOM provides you resources so you can pass and start on time.

I can see where you're coming from on that. Guess you can just add that to the laundry list of annoying rules that LECOM has to offer! :thumbdown: ;)

However, sounds like a pretty DUMB student to go sit for an exam after they just failed the practice. Just my two cents though :)

So to clear up any misconception, LECOM-b is not like Erie. No we do not have to take a pre-exam and pass for them to allow you to take boards (not even sure if Erie does this). We take several diagnostic exams called Krueger diagnostics, that have good correlation to COMLEX scores. If you are in good academic standing ( meaning a PBL average of 75 and up) they cannot stop you from taking your boards. If you have less than a 75, then you have to take an accelerated review course before you take boards (you can take this review with a 75+ average, and many people do). But they will still allow you to take COMLEX. Just don't fail anything and you will have no problems. One thing is that they have a policy that you have to take your boards before your first rotation, so if you don't pass PBL it can force you to be held back from rotations.
Just for future reference, it is really dumb to compare Erie to Bradenton. We are really run like 2 completely different campuses. Our rotations, board scores, faculty, curriculum, ect are very different. Good luck, feel free to pm me any questions. It is getting close to board prep and tests so might take me a little to answer

So to clear up any misconception, LECOM-b is not like Erie. No we do not have to take a pre-exam and pass for them to allow you to take boards (not even sure if Erie does this). We take several diagnostic exams called Krueger diagnostics, that have good correlation to COMLEX scores. If you are in good academic standing ( meaning a PBL average of 75 and up) they cannot stop you from taking your boards. If you have less than a 75, then you have to take an accelerated review course before you take boards (you can take this review with a 75+ average, and many people do). But they will still allow you to take COMLEX. Just don't fail anything and you will have no problems. One thing is that they have a policy that you have to take your boards before your first rotation, so if you don't pass PBL it can force you to be held back from rotations.
Just for future reference, it is really dumb to compare Erie to Bradenton. We are really run like 2 completely different campuses. Our rotations, board scores, faculty, curriculum, ect are very different. Good luck, feel free to pm me any questions. It is getting close to board prep and tests so might take me a little to answer

It's definitely important that u cleared that up for people, thank u! It's things like that that people need to see. I'm not sure why you quoted me though because I'm not the one that brought up Erie or even spoke about it :)

Now, that explanation makes perfect sense.

Due to PBL, the school should make sure that everything was throughly learned and absorbed by the student before graduation. It's nice that the school provides you with an extended option to learn the material through an accelerated review course even after missing a PBL score of 75.

This doesn't seem like what the carib schools do to their students, at all.

It's definitely important that u cleared that up for people, thank u! It's things like that that people need to see. I'm not sure why you quoted me though because I'm not the one that brought up Erie or even spoke about it :)
You were just the closest person to the bottom that mentioned LECOM policies. Meant no offense. Gotta save any time I can for prep:laugh:

If I was offered an acceptance to lecom-b, i would take it over azom.

much cheaper and pbl sounds cool. i'm not concerned about the curriculum. i figure med school is a new experience. whatever the curriculum is, i'll probably get used to it like every other student is.

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I really appreciate it, this decision has been eating away at me for some time now. It's nice to get some different perspectives.

PBL sounds intimidating because it's not how college is taught, but it is a better learning style for medical school. Once you start 3rd and 4th year, you will be taught via the pbl model, which, in my opinion, is more in line with how physicians approach patients.

Also, I don't think taking a PRE-comlex test is a bad thing. It protects you from failing or doing poorly.

You were just the closest person to the bottom that mentioned LECOM policies. Meant no offense. Gotta save any time I can for prep:laugh:

Haha no problem! Just thought I'd clear that up :) I was talking about the Bradenton policies, but I guess Bradenton and Erie have very similar rules lol

If LECOM does this, its definitely not the only school to do so. I know that Touro NY at least does the same thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of schools do the same. I don't think this is a bad thing. It helps you prepare for the boards and know how good of a chance you have to pass the boards.

If LECOM does this, its definitely not the only school to do so. I know that Touro NY at least does the same thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of schools do the same. I don't think this is a bad thing. It helps you prepare for the boards and know how good of a chance you have to pass the boards.

Seems like you didn't read the detailed explanation from gators21 and my response to him/her. I'm quoting them below for you.

Now, that explanation makes perfect sense.

Due to PBL, the school should make sure that everything was throughly learned and absorbed by the student before graduation. It's nice that the school provides you with an extended option to learn the material through an accelerated review course even after missing a PBL score of 75.

This doesn't seem like what the carib schools do to their students, at all.

this post should be stickied or something because nearly every time the topic of Bradenton's high scores is raised, somebody replies with misinformation. I guess people just find it hard to believe that they could have top notch scores year after year without something fishy going on. :rolleyes:

I'm a 4th year at the Bradenton campus and I matched in allopathic EM this year. The preparation you get the first two years is excellent. The last two years can be excellent as well, you just have to be more motivated (i.e. not lazy). That goes for the whole PBL curriculum anyway. Regardless, I would say that if the difference in tuition is that much, I would DEFINITELY go to LECOM. I'm going to be graduating with about $200K in debt and I cannot imagine it being $300k+ even before starting residency. No "fit" is worth $80k more in debt in my opinion.

AZCOM fourth year here -- we are required to take a "pre-comlex" practice test (called a comsae found on NBOME site) our second year and if we didnt pass, then we had to retake it. It was part of a board prep class we were required to take and was included in our tution. If you wanted to pass the class, you had to pass the comsae pre comlex test.

I guess I dont see why this is a problem. It gave us great experience on what the comlex is like, how to pace ourselves, what type of questions they ask, etc. It helped me greatly because afterwards I modified my study habits and looked at information differently because I knew what info the comlex was trying to get out of us - particularly concerning OMM questions. I dont see this as inflating stats,, i see it as good prep work.

I actually took about 2 other practice exams for the comlex and about 4 for the USMLE.. they were invaluable to me in teaching me how they ask questions, how they word them, what info they like to address, etc - I would recommend taking these tests as a good gauge of your knowledge base and progress when studying for the boards. They cost around $50 ** SSSSHHHH, remember my username and PM me when you get there and I'll hook ya up :)

I believe every school should have something of the sort -- but refusing to let you take the board exam if you didnt pass it is wrong, if that is what you were implying.

curriculum,rotations,etc are a wash.. go to LECOM and safe yourself tons of money. your education is really what YOU make of it. both schools will have problems and difficulties. the high tuition rate at AZCOM almost makes primary care a joke.Plus neither schools will have a "reputation" that will help you get into a residency.

Last edited:
I'm a 4th year at the Bradenton campus and I matched in allopathic EM this year. The preparation you get the first two years is excellent. The last two years can be excellent as well, you just have to be more motivated (i.e. not lazy). That goes for the whole PBL curriculum anyway. Regardless, I would say that if the difference in tuition is that much, I would DEFINITELY go to LECOM. I'm going to be graduating with about $200K in debt and I cannot imagine it being $300k+ even before starting residency. No "fit" is worth $80k more in debt in my opinion.
how did you find out you matched allo EM? that isn't released until Friday??

Everyone found out IF they matched on Monday, they find out WHERE on Friday.
got it.. i knew it was something weird about the match due to the new SOAP -aka scramble.

sorry i matched DO ortho..

how did you find out you matched allo EM? that isn't released until Friday??

Beat to the punch... Hah.

FYI: Students found out if they matched or not on Monday and then later in the week they find out specifically where. There was plenty of buzz about matching allopathic on Monday at my AZCOM interview but none of them knew where.

Last edited:
Yep! Believe me, I'm counting the hours until that email comes. Should go out at 1 on Friday.