LECOM Dental Students - How has it been so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chill45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any current LECOM dental students could chime in about how their experience has been so far. How has PBL been and do you feel like you are really learning with it? Is there anything you really do not like about the curriculum and how do you feel overall about it. Any information you can provide will be great and I really want some honest answers. If you do not feel comfortable saying some of the negatives about the school just PM me. This is not for other students to bash the school or give their opinions on it please, I want first hand experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also love to hear any stories/opinions about LECOM, particularly the PBL based classes and and curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. I'm interviewing in September and am curious as to how the boards went this year for their inaugural class and how they liked LECOM's PBL.

Bump. I'm interviewing in September and am curious as to how the boards went this year for their inaugural class and how they liked LECOM's PBL.

So far, 69/70 students that have taken the NBDE part 1 have passed

So far, 69/70 students that have taken the NBDE part 1 have passed

98.6% eh? That's great! I take it you're in that class? How do you like it there?

I'm actually a D1 there, that's just the latest stats that I had heard from the D3s. So far I really like it (granted I've only been at LECOM for a month now). I had applied here as a "back up" school like most people seem to because of the lower average matriculant gpa and DAT, but during my interview day I was impressed enough to chose LECOM over 3 other dental schools. It has a small school feel to it where the instructors seem really invested in their students success (like they have something to prove being a newer school). Also the facilities are brand spanking new, but the biggest selling point for me was their clinical experience (which by all accounts is going well). I was impressed how they split up the clinic side of the school into 10 chair "group practices" and that the entire fourth year is spent in an off site clinic treating patients like you would in a GPR. In my opinion, every school can teach/cram into you what you need for part 1 of the boards, but what sets them apart is the clinical training they provide. If a school is 100 years old, but is struggling to get enough patients in the door are they really a "better" school? LECOM takes a beating on SDN because they're the new kids on the block, they use some PBL, and because some people on here like to think they are very special so they rip on other schools. I would just say when you tour/interview schools, compare the programs honestly and on what your impressions were, and you will figure out which on fits you the best (probably the one with the lowest price tag;))

Wow thanks for that! I'll be there September 9th for my interview and cannot wait! Lots of clinical experience is important to me and from what I've read LECOM seems to excel in that department.

It just boggles my mind why people feel the need to talk bad about other dental schools. Does it make them feel superior to judge and look down on LECOM?! Ugh...

Reactions: 1 user