LECOM DO interview 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello0123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an interview at LECOM, also my first interview this cycle. Does anyone know how they structure their interviews? Any tips on what to expect or on how to approach interviews in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got received an interview at LECOM, also my first interview this cycle. Does anyone know how they structure their interviews? Any tips on what to expect or on how to approach interviews in general?

Check out the school-specific thread in the pre-osteo forum. They have details on it from people who have interviewed this year.

It's a group interview. Be laid back and courteous/professional.

Reactions: 1 user
Like hallowmann said, be laid back and courteous.

Oh yeah - and try your best to stay awake during the PBL observation sesh.

Members don't see this ad :)
PBL observation session? Not so much. At least at Erie, there was nothing like that.

Seriously, hop over to the class specific threads section and read the LECOM thread. We've talked about this several times now, so you can get a full run down of everything you might care to know about interviewing there, where to stay, what to wear, and what the different pathways are like. You can roll into that II like a boss.

I just got scheduled for interview on 2/6/15 at Erie campus, and I am from CA. Would someone share how to fly to Erie please? Thank you very much.

I just got scheduled for interview on 2/6/15 at Erie campus, and I am from CA. Would someone share how to fly to Erie please? Thank you very much.

Via plane is my best suggestion as I have had issues trying to get superman to pick me up.

No but seriously, book a flight... Idk what sort of information you are looking for. Airline doesn't matter. Maybe airport? Idk how many are close but in the end its all bout cost and/or convenience. Check out the school specific thread for more specific information

Reactions: 5 users
Via plane is my best suggestion as I have had issues trying to get superman to pick me up.

No but seriously, book a flight... Idk what sort of information you are looking for. Airline doesn't matter. Maybe airport? Idk how many are close but in the end its all bout cost and/or convenience. Check out the school specific thread for more specific information

I usually just summon my boy AT to give me a chariot ride to schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Cheaper to fly into Cleveland (or Buffalo or Pittsburgh) and drive the 80 miles. Erie does have a very small airport but the airfare in my opinion is not worth the convenience.

Last edited:
Definitely don't fly into Erie. I like Cleveland or Buffalo then rent a car and drive. Pretty much equidistant and similar prices. From CA you can probably fly direct to either of these hubs. I've flown to both direct from CLT and when my family came for my graduation from PDX and SEATAC they flew into Buffalo semi-conveniently. Much cheaper than flying to Erie also.
Good luck!

I'm not sure how helpful this will be because I was accepted through the early acceptance program as a high school senior. It might still be interesting for you anyway.
It was a group interview with five other applicants besides myself. There were two interviewers. They were very relaxed and casual about the whole thing. One of the women worked in the admissions office and the other was a graduate of LECOM. They asked really stereotypical questions. If I can remember correctly these are the exact questions they asked:
-What do you know about this school?
-What type of learning pathway are you interested in?
-What was your favorite subject?
-What do you want to specialize in?
-What is the most recent movie you've seen?
They obviously won't ask you the same questions, but I thought maybe it might be helpful.
The last one threw me off a bit, but it was a nice way to end the interview. I answered third every time. Tears gathered in my eyes during the third question, entirely unintentionally. I was talking about a family member who had really influenced my career choice. I was just so nervous that I almost exploded into tears. I honestly thought that my chances were over after that. I guess I'll never know how they felt about that part of my interview. I did not have quite as high of stats as the other applicants, but I guess they saw something special in my personality. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully I'll see you in 2018!

I applied to this program and still haven't received a secondary application from them? I have gotten secondaries from many others programs thus far. I am beginning to worry. I know I meet the prerequisites.

I applied to this program and still haven't received a secondary application from them? I have gotten secondaries from many others programs thus far. I am beginning to worry. I know I meet the prerequisites.
It is pretty common. Head over to the LECOM 2015-2016 discussion thread. There are plenty of people with similar complaints.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how helpful this will be because I was accepted through the early acceptance program as a high school senior. It might still be interesting for you anyway.
It was a group interview with five other applicants besides myself. There were two interviewers. They were very relaxed and casual about the whole thing. One of the women worked in the admissions office and the other was a graduate of LECOM. They asked really stereotypical questions. If I can remember correctly these are the exact questions they asked:
-What do you know about this school?
-What type of learning pathway are you interested in?
-What was your favorite subject?
-What do you want to specialize in?
-What is the most recent movie you've seen?
They obviously won't ask you the same questions, but I thought maybe it might be helpful.
The last one threw me off a bit, but it was a nice way to end the interview. I answered third every time. Tears gathered in my eyes during the third question, entirely unintentionally. I was talking about a family member who had really influenced my career choice. I was just so nervous that I almost exploded into tears. I honestly thought that my chances were over after that. I guess I'll never know how they felt about that part of my interview. I did not have quite as high of stats as the other applicants, but I guess they saw something special in my personality. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully I'll see you in 2018!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Wish you the best and good luck!

Check out the school-specific thread in the pre-osteo forum. They have details on it from people who have interviewed this year.

It's a group interview. Be laid back and courteous/professional.

hi guys im new to SDN and was wondering if someone could post a specific link that would help me be more prepared for my II at Lecom Erie in a week? It's my first II and any sort of help would be awesome, thanks!

PM me so I don't forget. I'm a current student and running around a bit, but I have a ton of advice.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Stupid question guys but can someone tell me how to find this link to LECOM Erie interview questions and format thread I cant find it anywhere?

I've been meaning to make a post with my interview advice for LECOM for everyone who wants to read it. It maybe a little tl;dr, but I've been adding to it everytime someone pms me. I am still open to PMs, but as classes have started, I have gotten very spotty about my SDN use, and might not get back to people in time. But if you are coming to Erie and you do need anything, hit me up. If I can get back to you, I will.

So, first, relax. Really, relax. It is not a high pressure interview day. They really are just looking to see that you are able to be professional for at least a few hours. I enjoyed my interview day quite a bit. The more relaxed you are, the better it is going to go for you and the more you will get out of it. Admissions staff know this and will try to help you to be at ease. They are not out to trip you up or trick you at all.

1. Dress well, conservatively. You aren't looking to stand out, just to look like you can dress like an adult. Suit if you are a guy is mandatory. I saw a guy at my interview who thought that a shirt, tie, and khakis would cut it... and he stood out like a sore thumb. Ladies interview dress is a mystery to me, so I'm no help there. People overthink the interview dress. You don't have to look crazy fashionable or wear the most expensive clothes. You just have to look like you respect the opportunity.

2. Listen well. When others are talking, pay attention to them. Nod, smile. You want to demonstrate that you are not just there to hear yourself speak.

3. Try not to come with overly rehearsed answers to questions. They switch the questions up sometimes. What they are hoping for is to hear you speak about yourself intelligently. 2-3 minutes is plenty of time. Don't go on and on. Make a point or two and then wrap it up so that someone else gets a turn. Same thing in the group discussion. When you have something to add, speak up and share your perspective, and then listen to what others have to say.

4. Get up early enough to eat a good breakfast, but go easy on coffee/other beverages. The day is pretty scheduled, and it might not be easy to find an opportunity to go to the restroom except when everyone else is trying to go. You just have to last from 8am until 12:30-1 so if you go just before you go, you should be good.

Anytime someone gives you pointers, it can make you more nervous, in a way. The most important advice I can give you is to be calm, be yourself, and be friendly. Talk to the people in the seats near you when you first come into the building. Be respectful. Be patient. Consider that if you got an interview, you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. So all you are there to do is give them a chance to see that you are a regular person, able to be pleasantly social. That is the one thing they can't tell about you from your stats, and it is what they are looking to see on interview day.

============================

Full disclosure: I LOVE LECOM.

Yes, everything that you've heard is true. There are strict rules about dress code, no food in class, mandatory attendance for lectures, etc. I've worked in a hospital before, where you have to wear uniforms, can't just eat and drink in patient care areas, and have to show up for work when scheduled. For people who are fresh out of undergrad and going from a world where they can skip classes, or show up with a buffet, in their pajamas, LECOM's rules seem like being in prison. For me, it is just like my last job, except that I am happy to be here and I don't have to stand for 12+ hours a day.

I feel extremely fortunate to have ended up here. I feel as if they already know me and care about me as a person, despite our large class size here in Erie. The first day, the guy who interviewed me noticed me in the crowd, called me by first name, and helped me find my seat. Student Affairs staff were helping everyone find their place, so it isn't like I was getting some special attention for some reason. But this guy hadn't seen me since last September, and yet, he knew me and made me feel at home.

That said, you have to understand that LECOM is a well-oiled machine for producing competent osteopathic physicians in bulk. The logistics of moving this many people through 4-5 pathways toward that goal... I am astounded to consider how much effort goes into making it work. It only works at all because everything is so regimented. People who need to be very individualistic and have everything customized to suit them personally may find it oppressive. There was a time in my life when I would have as well. I've learned to go with the flow and just be very zen about it, so for me, it is fine. I'm a leaf on the wind. Having to do everything their way just means less for me to have to think about... and I have so much else that I need to think about. Know yourself, and if you know that you can't thrive in this environment, aim for somewhere where you will be happy. It is best for everyone if people who are going to dislike the atmosphere here don't get stuck in it for 4 years of misery and complaining about things they were told up front.

They do tell you all the "bad" stuff up front. At the interview even.

It is an osteopathic medical school. They believe in the osteopathic philosophy, AT Still, Osteopathic philosophy, and manipulative medicine as a treatment modality, etc. Some people don't like that, but I figure it gives me one more tool in my kit, that I can use or not, depending on what my patients need from me. They will probably ask "Why are you applying to an osteopathic medical school. Try to have a better answer than "I want to treat the whole patient, not just the symptoms." They know that you read that on a website somewhere, and that it isn't really authentic. If you have had any experience with OMM, mention that. Don't say that you are interested in OMM if you aren't, but if you are, it can only help you. If you have time, actually read up on Osteopathic medicine. The Gevitz book "The DOs" is a quick, informative read. AT Still's books are free on Kindle, and I am such a nerd that I actually read one before coming here. Know what you are getting into.

As with many DO schools, there is a large ($1500) nonrefundable deposit if you accept a seat. That is to keep people who don't really want to go to LECOM from holding onto a seat while they try to get into schools that they REALLY want. I don't blame people for wanting to have a safety, an acceptance in their back pocket while they look for something "better." But if you want LECOM to be that for you, it may end up costing you $1500. That is a gamble you gotta take for yourself, based on your own finances and aspirations. Just bear in mind that what you consider a safety seat may be someone else's dream spot, and the school is trying to fill seats with people who actually want to be here.

There is no private interview. It is all group. You get taken aside into a room with 6-7 other folks for a group discussion. They go once around the table and ask a question or two of each person. That is the only individual part. Then, they set a topic for group discussion and everyone is encouraged to say something about it and to respond to one another.

As I said before, the whole day is about seeing how you interact as a group. They are selecting for team players, so while it is a group interview, you are being individually observed to see how you behave toward others. Expect that your interview starts when you pull into the parking lot and ends when you leave campus, and that everything you do in the time between is being observed. The kinder, more polite, more engaged you are, the better. So smile, and make eye contact, and generally treat everyone equally well, no matter whether they are adcom or janitor or current student or other interviewee. Continue that behavior for your entire career and you will excel wherever you go.

It is such simplistic advice, but some people just won't follow it, and so if you do, you will stand out, in the good way.

Last thing: Brooklyn Pizza has the best pizza in Erie. It is thin crust New York style with everything made from scratch in house. They deliver to the hotels around LECOM-E. The extra large is 24 inches, 8 huge foldable slices, so don't order that unless you need to feed 4 people. But seriously, try this pizza.

One more last thing: Goro's interview advice is amazing. Except the part about adcoms trying to trip you up to see how you do under pressure. From what I saw, LECOM really doesn't do that to people. They really seem to want you to relax so that you can perform at your best, not test you to see how you do when stressed. Relax. Relax. Let your heart be at ease. It will all be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Awesome advice promethean, Ill be sure and keep you in mind next month!!!!

Thanks so much for your experience!

May I have a couple of questions for you?

Does the school have a place to check in my luggage on the day of interview? I am going to check out my hotel in the morning so it would be nice that I can bring my luggage to the school.

Also, just want to confirm it is the interview closed file, right?

Thanks!

I've been meaning to make a post with my interview advice for LECOM for everyone who wants to read it. It maybe a little tl;dr, but I've been adding to it everytime someone pms me. I am still open to PMs, but as classes have started, I have gotten very spotty about my SDN use, and might not get back to people in time. But if you are coming to Erie and you do need anything, hit me up. If I can get back to you, I will.

So, first, relax. Really, relax. It is not a high pressure interview day. They really are just looking to see that you are able to be professional for at least a few hours. I enjoyed my interview day quite a bit. The more relaxed you are, the better it is going to go for you and the more you will get out of it. Admissions staff know this and will try to help you to be at ease. They are not out to trip you up or trick you at all.

1. Dress well, conservatively. You aren't looking to stand out, just to look like you can dress like an adult. Suit if you are a guy is mandatory. I saw a guy at my interview who thought that a shirt, tie, and khakis would cut it... and he stood out like a sore thumb. Ladies interview dress is a mystery to me, so I'm no help there. People overthink the interview dress. You don't have to look crazy fashionable or wear the most expensive clothes. You just have to look like you respect the opportunity.

2. Listen well. When others are talking, pay attention to them. Nod, smile. You want to demonstrate that you are not just there to hear yourself speak.

3. Try not to come with overly rehearsed answers to questions. They switch the questions up sometimes. What they are hoping for is to hear you speak about yourself intelligently. 2-3 minutes is plenty of time. Don't go on and on. Make a point or two and then wrap it up so that someone else gets a turn. Same thing in the group discussion. When you have something to add, speak up and share your perspective, and then listen to what others have to say.

4. Get up early enough to eat a good breakfast, but go easy on coffee/other beverages. The day is pretty scheduled, and it might not be easy to find an opportunity to go to the restroom except when everyone else is trying to go. You just have to last from 8am until 12:30-1 so if you go just before you go, you should be good.

Anytime someone gives you pointers, it can make you more nervous, in a way. The most important advice I can give you is to be calm, be yourself, and be friendly. Talk to the people in the seats near you when you first come into the building. Be respectful. Be patient. Consider that if you got an interview, you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. So all you are there to do is give them a chance to see that you are a regular person, able to be pleasantly social. That is the one thing they can't tell about you from your stats, and it is what they are looking to see on interview day.

============================

Full disclosure: I LOVE LECOM.

Yes, everything that you've heard is true. There are strict rules about dress code, no food in class, mandatory attendance for lectures, etc. I've worked in a hospital before, where you have to wear uniforms, can't just eat and drink in patient care areas, and have to show up for work when scheduled. For people who are fresh out of undergrad and going from a world where they can skip classes, or show up with a buffet, in their pajamas, LECOM's rules seem like being in prison. For me, it is just like my last job, except that I am happy to be here and I don't have to stand for 12+ hours a day.

I feel extremely fortunate to have ended up here. I feel as if they already know me and care about me as a person, despite our large class size here in Erie. The first day, the guy who interviewed me noticed me in the crowd, called me by first name, and helped me find my seat. Student Affairs staff were helping everyone find their place, so it isn't like I was getting some special attention for some reason. But this guy hadn't seen me since last September, and yet, he knew me and made me feel at home.

That said, you have to understand that LECOM is a well-oiled machine for producing competent osteopathic physicians in bulk. The logistics of moving this many people through 4-5 pathways toward that goal... I am astounded to consider how much effort goes into making it work. It only works at all because everything is so regimented. People who need to be very individualistic and have everything customized to suit them personally may find it oppressive. There was a time in my life when I would have as well. I've learned to go with the flow and just be very zen about it, so for me, it is fine. I'm a leaf on the wind. Having to do everything their way just means less for me to have to think about... and I have so much else that I need to think about. Know yourself, and if you know that you can't thrive in this environment, aim for somewhere where you will be happy. It is best for everyone if people who are going to dislike the atmosphere here don't get stuck in it for 4 years of misery and complaining about things they were told up front.

They do tell you all the "bad" stuff up front. At the interview even.

It is an osteopathic medical school. They believe in the osteopathic philosophy, AT Still, Osteopathic philosophy, and manipulative medicine as a treatment modality, etc. Some people don't like that, but I figure it gives me one more tool in my kit, that I can use or not, depending on what my patients need from me. They will probably ask "Why are you applying to an osteopathic medical school. Try to have a better answer than "I want to treat the whole patient, not just the symptoms." They know that you read that on a website somewhere, and that it isn't really authentic. If you have had any experience with OMM, mention that. Don't say that you are interested in OMM if you aren't, but if you are, it can only help you. If you have time, actually read up on Osteopathic medicine. The Gevitz book "The DOs" is a quick, informative read. AT Still's books are free on Kindle, and I am such a nerd that I actually read one before coming here. Know what you are getting into.

As with many DO schools, there is a large ($1500) nonrefundable deposit if you accept a seat. That is to keep people who don't really want to go to LECOM from holding onto a seat while they try to get into schools that they REALLY want. I don't blame people for wanting to have a safety, an acceptance in their back pocket while they look for something "better." But if you want LECOM to be that for you, it may end up costing you $1500. That is a gamble you gotta take for yourself, based on your own finances and aspirations. Just bear in mind that what you consider a safety seat may be someone else's dream spot, and the school is trying to fill seats with people who actually want to be here.

There is no private interview. It is all group. You get taken aside into a room with 6-7 other folks for a group discussion. They go once around the table and ask a question or two of each person. That is the only individual part. Then, they set a topic for group discussion and everyone is encouraged to say something about it and to respond to one another.

As I said before, the whole day is about seeing how you interact as a group. They are selecting for team players, so while it is a group interview, you are being individually observed to see how you behave toward others. Expect that your interview starts when you pull into the parking lot and ends when you leave campus, and that everything you do in the time between is being observed. The kinder, more polite, more engaged you are, the better. So smile, and make eye contact, and generally treat everyone equally well, no matter whether they are adcom or janitor or current student or other interviewee. Continue that behavior for your entire career and you will excel wherever you go.

It is such simplistic advice, but some people just won't follow it, and so if you do, you will stand out, in the good way.

Last thing: Brooklyn Pizza has the best pizza in Erie. It is thin crust New York style with everything made from scratch in house. They deliver to the hotels around LECOM-E. The extra large is 24 inches, 8 huge foldable slices, so don't order that unless you need to feed 4 people. But seriously, try this pizza.

One more last thing: Goro's interview advice is amazing. Except the part about adcoms trying to trip you up to see how you do under pressure. From what I saw, LECOM really doesn't do that to people. They really seem to want you to relax so that you can perform at your best, not test you to see how you do when stressed. Relax. Relax. Let your heart be at ease. It will all be okay.

Thanks so much for your experience!

May I have a couple of questions for you?

Does the school have a place to check in my luggage on the day of interview? I am going to check out my hotel in the morning so it would be nice that I can bring my luggage to the school.

Also, just want to confirm it is the interview closed file, right?

Thanks!
I didn't check out of my hotel until after my interview so I have no idea about a luggage holding room. I would call and ask them. The admissions staff is really friendly and helpful!

I interviewed here on July 17th so I can confirm that the interview is closed file in Erie. The interview is open file in Bradenton.

Reactions: 1 users