LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discussion for the new year here!

Members don't see this ad.

Excited to apply here!

when do we get to know the personal statement prompt? or will it just be the usual "why do you want to be a d.o. doc?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I have questions about this school because I have heard mixed things...

1. How is the medical school structure with the unique learning pathways; does it work and help students ...meaning are students successful using their unique pathways of education?

2. How is the location of Erie, PA and Seton Hall, PA...Because I can look online and see details, but I want to hear about a student perspective...

I have questions about this school because I have heard mixed things...

1. How is the medical school structure with the unique learning pathways; does it work and help students ...meaning are students successful using their unique pathways of education?

2. How is the location of Erie, PA and Seton Hall, PA...Because I can look online and see details, but I want to hear about a student perspective...

You'll here mixed things about any school. LECOM's pathways are successful in teaching students in there desired learning habits. If you like lectures and that structure similar to undergrad then LDP is for you. If you didnt like lecture settings but preferred small groups PBL might be something you want. ISP is the way to go if you want free time. All pathways have good guidance during the year and good board scores. you just need to know what you want.

Erie, PA is Erie, PA. I only lived there for 2 years but i managed to learn how to ski during my stay. Winter can be tough but when you are in med school time flies so you hardly notice it. the spring and fall are nice while at presque isle for a nice little get away from studying. I wouldn't say you have to go out of your way to make Erie enjoyable, but there aren't many things to do in the area, however that makes it easier to study w/o distractions. I can't really say much about Seton Hill, I have never been down there.

wow thanks for the feedback....thanks for explaining the pathways from a student perspective

when do we get to know the personal statement prompt? or will it just be the usual "why do you want to be a d.o. doc?"

There was no prompt last year. You filled out some info in the LECOM portal and then send the secondary application fee. Not sure if it will be like that this year.

Will they send me a secondary if my mcat date is june 16?

Alright. So, do you recommend that I still apply June first without my upcoming mcat scores. Or, should i wait until I get them to apply. Also, how long does it take to get scores sent to the schools in order to have my stuff processed. In other words, when is the earliest date that I can have an interview. Just want to know what my personal timeline is. Thanks for your input.

Alright. So, do you recommend that I still apply June first without my upcoming mcat scores. Or, should i wait until I get them to apply. Also, how long does it take to get scores sent to the schools in order to have my stuff processed. In other words, when is the earliest date that I can have an interview. Just want to know what my personal timeline is. Thanks for your input.

Not 100% sure if it makes a difference, I'm sure other people on the forum might have better advice on that. (FYI: people have been accepted here from march and April interviews)

Regarding the time it took to post.. I would say about 1-2 weeks, though it certainly feels longer while you are actually waiting.

Good luck and study hard

If you submit your application June 1st you can get verified so that when your scores get in it only takes about a week to update all the scores. If you wait to submit it may take a couple weeks or more to get verified.

The earliest interviews last year was one day in July and then it really started in August. If your scores don't come in until July the earliest you can probably get an interview is September.

Thanks guys. Slowly becoming familiar with the process.

From what I gathered, the best thing to do is submit June 1st and wait for scores to finalize the verification process. For now, I'll just keep studying and chill until those scores come in. :)

This is realistically my last full length summer. I must not waste it worrying over applications. Good luck with medical school everyone. Hope to be a part of this school next year :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if LECOM screens applicants at all before sending secondaries? After reading the catalog it doesn't really sound like it-- more like they send everyone a secondary-- but never explicitly says...

Does anybody know if LECOM screens applicants at all before sending secondaries? After reading the catalog it doesn't really sound like it-- more like they send everyone a secondary-- but never explicitly says...

I know they look to see if you have the main prereqs - the 4 sciences and the MCAT. Without these, I dont think you get a secondary (I didn't get my secondary until after they got my MCAT)

I know they look to see if you have the main prereqs - the 4 sciences and the MCAT. Without these, I dont think you get a secondary (I didn't get my secondary until after they got my MCAT)

Thanks!

re-app here. just submitted today! hopefully i get the first batch of secondarys from here. thank god theres no essay lol

is anyone applying for a second time? I was just wondering how they were going about rewriting their personal statement. Any advice will be welcomed, thank you.

is anyone applying for a second time? I was just wondering how they were going about rewriting their personal statement. Any advice will be welcomed, thank you.

I had to reapply a couple times. I kept most of my personal statement the same. I just added about what I was / was planning to do with my year while I was reapplying.

The earliest interviews last year was one day in July and then it really started in August. If your scores don't come in until July the earliest you can probably get an interview is September.

The first interview date last year was July 16th - really early! LECOM is really good about sending out a decision within two weeks which is very nice. As the app season gets later they seem to fall behind a bit but early in the season they seem to be pretty efficient.

LECOM did all group interviews last year so I assume they will do the same this year. It wasn't so bad because you have some time to think about what you are going to say while others are talking. It was also kind of interesting to see what the other applicants were saying. They asked all very standard med school interview questions last year.

So what would you say were the "very standard med school interview questions?"

"what is an obstacle that you have overcome in either school or work?"
"what is your greatest achievement?"
"what pathway would you choose and why?"
"where do you see yourself in 10 years?"
"what would you do if you don't get into medical school this year?"
"what makes an ideal/good doctor?"
"how would you balance the ideal doctor with hospitals/clinics wanting you to see the more patients in a shorter period of time and insurance companies not wanting to pay"
Ethics scenarios

probably should throw in:
"Why do you want to be a doctor?"
"What are the reasons you are drawn to this school?"

Then do have questions prepared to ask your interviews that you couldn't have gotten from doing a little research on the website. If you have few questions prepared in different areas and one of your interviewers happens to be the head of that department so much the better!

Hope this helps

So what would you say were the "very standard med school interview questions?"

Also if they do group interviews again be up to date on health topics. In my interview last year we talked about them for probably half the interview. Questions like 'is health care a right or a privilege?'

Also if they do group interviews again be up to date on health topics. In my interview last year we talked about them for probably half the interview. Questions like 'is health care a right or a privilege?'

So did we. but not for half the interview...

Hey all,

For those of you out there who are curious I received and submitted my secondary today. There were no essay Qs, mainly just the fee. Good luck, everyone! :D

anyone recieve any invites?

it says that they have recieved my supplemental and that the review process will begin on my file and that I will be notified of any updates. CMON

Hey,

Does anyone know when lecom sends sends out secondaries? Is it every week on a specific day? I was verified on 6/23 and my primary was released on the 6/30. I'm just curious on when to expect it.

Thanks and good luck to all my fellow pre-meds.

Hey,

Does anyone know when lecom sends sends out secondaries? Is it every week on a specific day? I was verified on 6/23 and my primary was released on the 6/30. I'm just curious on when to expect it.

Thanks and good luck to all my fellow pre-meds.

Hey there, my application was released on June 30th too. I just received (and submitted) the secondary application. You should be getting it soon too!
Hope this helps!

anyone recieve any invites?

it says that they have recieved my supplemental and that the review process will begin on my file and that I will be notified of any updates. CMON

When did you submit yours? According to last year's thread, people were invited for interview ~14 days after they had finished their secondaries.
Hope this helps!

Interview Dates have started. I received interview offer for July 29 today!!!!! Who else got them?

Interview Dates have started. I received interview offer for July 29 today!!!!! Who else got them?

Wow, Big congrats!!! Although that kind of scares me, lol. How did you receive the offer? (Email, mail, status)

Thanks a lot!! I received it via email. however, my status on the candidate portal didnt change though. it still just says "your application is under review"

Thanks a lot!! I received it via email. however, my status on the candidate portal didnt change though. it still just says "your application is under review"

I hope I get something soon! Based on last year's thread it looks like they meet on Wednesdays, and send out invites on Thursdays and Fridays

Can you post what day did you submit primary, secondary, etc?
Do you mind me asking your stats? Thanks!

Hey a question for those who have been in the post bacc. I sent in my AACOMAS app for this cycle but I am planning on attending the post bacc for this coming Fall. Can I still interview for LECOM this summer and then not go to the post bacc if I get in or will they know I'm planning to do the post bacc and not interview me until later?

Wow, congrats! No offer yet here, but my secondary was submitted & received on 6/28, so I am hoping to hear within the next week. C'mon interview invite!

Waiting on a secondary invite for Bradenton and Erie here...

We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made.

I submitted my secondaries on June 28.

Last edited:
I just received word of an invitation to a LECOM interview on July 29th as well! I'm so excited, it is my first interview invite! But now I'm nervous for what they're going to ask! :scared:

Wow congrats you too!. Honestly just be yourselves. Talk positively about yourself and be honest. And if they ask oppinion questions be honest.. I never interviewed here but did last year at another school. U just need to relax.
I hope the show me love! I submitted my primary june second and my secondary june 30th

I received and submitted the secondary app on 7/28 as well. I know it's early on in the process, but I'm still getting pretty bummed about not getting an interview invite on the first day like some other people :(

those of you who already got interview invites what are ur stats (MCAT, cGA, sGPA) if you dont mind me asking? I want to know if I even hav a chance of getting an interview at this school....

I submitted my primary June1 and my secondary on July 1. My stats are cgpa 3.3 and 28 MCAT (9PS, 8VR, 11BS). Hope this helps

I submitted my primary June1 and my secondary on July 1. My stats are cgpa 3.3 and 28 MCAT (9PS, 8VR, 11BS). Hope this helps
well not im starting to get a little worried lol. i have the exact same gpa but lower mcat. 9PS 7Vr 9BS for a 25. guess the mcat was too low.

well not im starting to get a little worried lol. i have the exact same gpa but lower mcat. 9PS 7Vr 9BS for a 25. guess the mcat was too low.
Dr Yiot, I am starting to get worried too. My mcat is very low. I have a 24 after retaking it (6 VR, 8 BS, 10 PS), but my GPA is a 3.76, and and science is a 3.7. My low MCAT score is making me think twice about getting accepted anywhere this cycle :(

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll definitely be myself during the interview. My cumulative GPA is 3.88 and science GPA is 3.8. MCAT is 29R (PS-9, VR-9, BS-11). I hope this helps!

Hey there, dont worry man! I think they are just going to look at it sequentially. Maybe your file was later in order or something. I have heard 22-24 people get in last year as well. Dont worry!

Hey there, dont worry man! I think they are just going to look at it sequentially. Maybe your file was later in order or something. I have heard 22-24 people get in last year as well. Dont worry!

i hope ur right :(. I am preparing it for again, but its really a pain having to taking it for a third time

does anyone know how grading is done at this school? Is it A, B, C or honors, pass, fail, etc.

Thanks!