LECOM OR MOSDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adlogin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school would you attend? I was accepted at LECOM and have an interview coming up at MOSDOH, but I am not sure if I want to go to the interview. Can anyone give me pros and cons for both schools. I am from California and would be considered out of state for both schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Which school would you attend? I was accepted at LECOM and have an interview coming up at MOSDOH, but I am not sure if I want to go to the interview. Can anyone give me pros and cons for both schools. I am from California and would be considered out of state for both schools.

LECOM

I was in the same situation as you and ended up canceling my interviews at MOSDOH and MWU-IL once accepted to LECOM. I really loved the school when I interviewed and knew I would ultimately have chosen LECOM if accepted to all. For me, it also would have cost me a lot of time and money that I can't really afford to spare right now. It was definitely a really, really hard decision though!

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are an out doors person and like small towns MOSDOH is perfect! I LOVED that school. Great great great staff and enviroment. Go to the interview! Also, think about the climate you want to live in.

I'm not sure if what I have to say will help, but I'll chime in anyway.

I don't know much about LECOM, didn't apply there. I also didn't apply to MOSDOH either, BUT I did apply to ASDOH (both are from the same university, just in different locations). When I interviewed there, I thought it was an absolutely amazing school. Great facilities, mission seems awesome, they genuinely care about their students, faculty forms very close bonds with the students, and they have externships to underserved locations across the country for your 4th year (maybe 3rd year too?). ASDOH is touted to produce very very very competent general dentists with a LOT of clinical experience. If MOSDOH is on the same path as ASDOH, then it will be an amazing school.

Yeah, MOSDOH was harder for me to turn down because I really love Missouri. I have been there a million times. It came down to cost for me, and my fiancé is moving with me, so I wanted his input about where he would be happier. If you can afford to go, I would!

I have a deposit down at MOSDOH.... It is a great school and loved it when I interviewed there. You should go check it out. Best part is that if you don't like small towns, you move to St Louis for the last 2 years and do externship rotations around the country all of 4th year! Ask me any questions you have!

These acronym names make my head hurt.

MOSDOH. I'd go to the interview and go there if you get in. It's pretty simple. I'm sure LECOM is fantastic, but MOSDOH has a lot more promise, in my opinion (not sure I like the whole clinic thing though).

I don't know much about MOSDOH. But, do you like PBL? LECOM is 100% PBL for the biomedical sciences in the first two years. You gotta be cool with that to succeed there.

I am not a fan of PBL. I have had traditional style lectures all through university. On the other side I like the location of LECOM. Tough call for me considering a trip to Missouri is quite pricy.

I'd check out MOSDOH. I had the chance to speak with the dean there and he's approach to dentistry is really interesting. Wasn't lucky enough to receive an interview, but it is modeled after ASDOH so you can't go wrong.

I would go to the interview, you never know if you will end up liking it better. I wasn't sold on LECOM until I went to the interview.

I'm a student at LECOM and although PBL is different and changing constantly, I think we have one of the lighter schedules with plenty of free time. It's pretty much read the assigned chapters, MAYBE apply it to some cases, and study for a test every 3-4 weeks. Self-study would be a more accurate description of what it is actually like. Also, I just saw my first patient the second day of second semester for complete dentures. I don't know if any other schools are doing that.

Cons - things change everyday, some courses could be better organized, pass/fail (if you want to specialized, otherwise it makes school a lot less stressful/competitive), moving the fourth year (but it sounds like you'll be moving more at MOSDOH)

Reactions: 1 user