LECOM Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jupiteiran

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LECOM Pharmacy has just opened a branch in Florida and I wondering if it has a good pharm program. Does anyone know where it's ranked? Is it better than NOVA and FAMU? anyone considering this schoool? help..

Members don't see this ad.

I believe LECOM is not even ranked in the top 50 pharmacy schools...
LECOM is a new school, they had their first class graduated in June 2005 (I was present for my sister's graduation ceremony).
LECOM hasn't released their stats regarding the state board exam, but I heard from Dr. Rigelski (which is currently the director of admission) the passing rate was closed to 72%.
The school is in a big transition now (they are firing and hiring new staffs and members of faculty and administration).
PROS: you'll be a pharmacist in 3 years (if you pass the board!!)
CONS: forget about residency, you'll be trained only for retail (and family practice for DOs).

My piece of advise: Do not go there unless LECOM is the only school that accepted you.

I was accepted to LECOM this year, and I don't understand what is so bad about the school. Could you please fill me in further? I think it seems very credible. And honestly, if I was accepted to another school, I would still choose LECOM. Why could I not choose to do a residency? Just wondering? I don't understand why so many people believe that LECOM only has cons and no pros! Please fill me in!

Thanks,
Ashlee

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM is a new school, they had their first class graduated in June 2005 (I was present for my sister's graduation ceremony).

FORT TC: Your sister fraduated from LECOM, could you tell me if she is working as a pharmacist right now, where and her range of salary. I am just asking because if she is not working then that would be a bad sign about LECOM.
TY

Where in Florida is it located? I went to the website and didn't see anything about it.

FORT TC: Your sister graduated from LECOM, could you tell me if she is working as a pharmacist right now, where and her range of salary. I am just asking because if she is not working then that would be a bad sign about LECOM.
TY

She passed the PA state board last year (3 months after graduation). She was a member of Rho Chi so I think it was not that difficult for her.
However, about 1/4 of the 2005 class is not licensed yet, they haven't taken the board exams for some reason, or failed it.

She currently works in retail and hospital.
Hospital doesn't pay that great ($35/hr)

I have never heard about LECOM pharmacy.. I'm living in Florida and know three schools such as UF, NOVA, and FAMU. Does LECOM require PACT? If yes, you will get in it much harder than other UNKNOWN schools - Just my opinon. My adviser didn't know NOVA because she never talked to pre-pharms students about the school. I'm really wondering where LECOM is and how hard to get in. People might know UF> FAMU> NOVA ...> LECOM. Do you know how many pharm schools in Florida???? well-known and vice versa...

Anyone ever have problems with hurricanes while attending pharmacy school in florida?

Anyone ever have problems with hurricanes while attending pharmacy school in florida?

Only at West Palm (PBA) and Fort Lauderdale (NOVA) area last year, no problem at Gainsville (UF) or Talahasee (FAMU)

The college is located in Bradenton, Fl. I live in Tampa, so it's pretty close to me. I think an hour or so away.
They do not require the PCAT.
And theres 5 pharm colleges in Florida now: PBA, NOVA, UF, FAMU, and now LECOM.

So,basically, do you guys think I should try to leave LECOM as my last option?
My GPA is good. But, I took the June pcat and did AWFUL..it's a shame..
I think I have a pretty good chance of getting into FAMU, but I read they are having problems...so I am not sure if I want to go there.

The college is located in Bradenton, Fl. I live in Tampa, so it's pretty close to me. I think an hour or so away.
They do not require the PCAT.
And theres 5 pharm colleges in Florida now: PBA, NOVA, UF, FAMU, and now LECOM.

So,basically, do you guys think I should try to leave LECOM as my last option?
My GPA is good. But, I took the June pcat and did AWFUL..it's a shame..
I think I have a pretty good chance of getting into FAMU, but I read they are having problems...so I am not sure if I want to go there.

You better retake the PCAT. You really have little chance to get accepted to LECOM since they had 3,500 applications this year for only 120 students (3-4% accepted!).

By the way, there is still 4 pharmacy colleges in FL.
The satellite campus at Bradenton is only a project, there is no pharmacy school there.

Does anyone have a website i can research this info at because there is not a place on the LECOM website talking about a florida campus or project for there pharmacy school

Where are you guys finding the Ranking of the schools? I'd like to see whos at the top and where the school i want to attend is on said list.

I'm sure you can find the rankings somewhere in this forum but beware of the so called "rankings" - the schools are ranked by how much funding money they receive and furthermore, not all the pharmacy schools participate in these 'rankinings'

Here is my information
Pharmacy school ranking top 50 in the nation
Based on this stats, UF is a great school!!!! p 4.5 is perfect..
1. University of California–San Francisco 4.5--it is not GPA, but Point ( I don't know how they calculated??)
2. University of Texas–Austin 4.2
3. University of Kentucky 4.0
University of Michigan–Ann Arbor 4.0
5. Purdue University–West Lafayette (IN) 3.9
University of Minnesota 3.9
7. Ohio State University 3.8
University of Arizona 3.8
University of Florida 3.8
University of Maryland–Baltimore 3.8
University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill 3.8
University of Tennessee–Memphis 3.8
13. SUNY–Buffalo 3.7
University of Illinois–Chicago 3.7
University of Washington 3.7
16. University of Utah 3.6
University of Wisconsin–Madison 3.6
18. University of Southern California 3.5
19. University of Iowa 3.4
Virginia Commonwealth University 3.4
21. University of Kansas 3.3
22. Medical University of South Carolina 3.2
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy & Science 3.2
University of Georgia 3.2
25. University of Mississippi 3.1
University of Nebraska Medical Center 3.1
27. Rutgers College of Pharmacy (NJ) 2.9
St. Louis College of Pharmacy 2.9
University of Oklahoma 2.9
Washington State University 2.9
31. Auburn University (AL) 2.8
Creighton University (NE) 2.8
Mercer University (GA) 2.8
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center 2.8
University of Missouri–Kansas 2.8
Wayne State University (MI) 2.8

I am living in Jacksonville. So, if I apply to UF at Jacks campus, I will have a more benefit to get in than out-of-state applicants.. how about if I am in the border (average GPA and PCAT), will they take me?? Just wondering...

I have never heard nobody was died in a pharmacy school during a hurricane season. I don't think there would be a problem at any of pharmacy school in FL.

Again, why is it not possible to do a residency if attending LECOM?