LECOM Post-bac 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't recall any published minimum GPA to apply.

Here is what is listed on the LECOM website for entrance requirements:

Applicants to the Health Sciences Program for post baccalaureate education must meet the following minimum admissions requirements:
  • Earn a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university by the time of enrollment.
  • Complete a minimum of eight (8) semester hours with lab experience in biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry and physics.
  • Have an overall minimum grade point average of 2.7
  • Provide scores from the most recent MCAT that the applicant has taken* (medical Post Baccalaureate only).
  • Submit official transcripts from each undergraduate and/or graduate school previously attended.
  • Submit one letter of recommendation from a member of the science faculty at the college of university previously attended.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the 2.7 for science or overall? My overall from undergrad was a 2.9, but my science was a 2.7. However, my MPH gpa is a 3.9, so Im hoping the admissions committee will really take this into consideration. I have taken the MCAT previously, however I totally bombed it! :( But I am now enrolled in a TPR class and taking the MCAT may 24th. What do you all think should be a good target score for the program? Granted I would love anything above a 30, but what do you think would be good either way-specifically to get in the LECOMs post bacc with my above gpa?!

From the LECOM entrance requirements page about the Post-Bacc program it says that the overall minimum gpa is 2.7... I don't recall putting my science gpa on the application anywhere, so unless I just don't remember, I'm not sure sgpa's are even figured in? Plus, like you said they should really take the 3.9gpa in your masters program into consideration.

I wouldn't totally stress out about the MCATs, to get into LECOM from the post-bacc program you need to have at least a 23 on the MCATs, which means they accept people to the post-bacc program with less than that... The 23 just needs to be accomplished sometime before getting accepted into LECOM... Honestly if you're planning on going to LECOM following their post-bacc program I'd say shoot for the 23, if you're planning on going elsewhere then you would need a considerably greater score... Good luck on your MCATs! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone that has applied and been admitted.....

The only materials Lecom needs are official transcripts, MCAT scores, LOR and the online submitted application.

Is this everything or am I forgetting anything? I have submitted about 2 weeks ago but Jamie Murphy is out of town and no one in admissions is returning calls/emails. Jamie said if everything is submitted they meet every week for admission. I just want to make sure I haven't forgot anything.

For everyone that has applied and been admitted.....

The only materials Lecom needs are official transcripts, MCAT scores, LOR and the online submitted application.

Is this everything or am I forgetting anything? I have submitted about 2 weeks ago but Jamie Murphy is out of town and no one in admissions is returning calls/emails. Jamie said if everything is submitted they meet every week for admission. I just want to make sure I haven't forgot anything.

That should be all of it.

Give them another week or so, some colleges are slow at getting transcripts out. I submitted my stuff on the 5th and they got back to me on the 20th. So it shouldn't be much longer. Have you checked the status on the LECOM portal?

Good luck!

Just discovered the new LECOM webpage layout...thank heavens.

That should be all of it.

Give them another week or so, some colleges are slow at getting transcripts out. I submitted my stuff on the 5th and they got back to me on the 20th. So it shouldn't be much longer. Have you checked the status on the LECOM portal?

Good luck!
Yeah status is "under review." Im just stressed out because I have to file for graduation by May 6th. If I don't get into the program I was going to do another year of undergrad science courses. From the time you submitted to the time you received the letter how long was it?

Yeah status is "under review." Im just stressed out because I have to file for graduation by May 6th. If I don't get into the program I was going to do another year of undergrad science courses. From the time you submitted to the time you received the letter how long was it?

All my items were received 2/13/2012, and almost immediately it turned into "under review." just yesterday it changed to "a decision has been made. you'll receive a letter in 30 days"

I just called Jaime ... he had my file in front of him when I called. He said I will be hearing something sometime next week, they just got back from tour or smth.. I hope I get in ...

For me, I submitted my stuff on 3/5th and heard back on 3/20. I only think mine was fast because I had applied to the DO school before the post-bac so they had most of my stuff to being with.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy y'all

This is also posted in the 2011-2012 post-bac forum. I've noticed ppl are on both so I figured I'd post here too. I'm going to be in the 2012-2013 class.

So I went to visit LECOM today. Nice campus, a bit spread out though. For the Post-bac classes, we're out at Bayfront. It can be a bit difficult to find, but it's really nice over there. Address is 1 LECOM place. It's about 10 minutes from the main campus. The fitness and wellness center is next to Millcreek hospital. Everything is about 5-10 minutes away from each other. Erie itself is pretty nice. There's a ton of retail shops and restaurants near campus and prices are very reasonable. Plus, there's a Wegmans in the area, for anyone not from the Northeast, you'll understand why this is a huge positive when you get to Erie.

Overall, the facilities are pretty decent, everything is grey, but it all looks pretty new. Lecture halls are nice. Great cadaver lab too. Now this is the med school (main campus) I didn't get a chance to get into the bayfront building but according to the students I talked to, bayfront is nicer than main campus. The med students I ran into there all seem pretty happy. Security is tight and the dress code is enforced.

Housing: Most people live in the apartments around the main campus. However, it can be hard to get since there's a limited number, however, they are building new apartments as we speak. I talked to Jamie and he says that with the post-bac being over at bayfront, it might be easier to get wait listed for the apartments near main campus and getting a place out by bayfront. However, if you can nab one near main campus, I'd go for it, that's what I plan on doing. I drove around the bayfront campus and all I could find was a senior living home...

Financial Aid: We would fall under the graduate category. I think that means we can get a 20,000 stafford loan from the gov't, not entirely sure, I'll let you guys know if I find out anything on this.

Now the important part, what does the post-bac mean in terms of med school. We take courses taught by the med school professors. Everyone who does not fail a class during the fall semester will be offered an interview regardless of GPA and MCAT. That being said, only those who have a 3.0 or better and a MCAT of 23 or better after the Spring semester will be given spots in the med school. So if you are below a 3.0 after Fall, you will get an interview and a conditional acceptance. You MUST have a 3.0 gpa and a 23 or better MCAT at the end of the post-bac in order to be accepted to the med school, if not, you will not be accepted into the program.

Also, those who are applying soon, get it done sooner than later. I think they stop accepting around August 1st and start finalizing who is in the class then. Class size is usually around 50 people, last years was 70, but it shouldn't be that big again this year.

Overall, I liked LECOM. It seems like a good place to study and learn. Library and buildings close around 11pm/midnight, but most med schools are like that. Jamie also talked about the different pathways of med school and how the med school is run.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Howdy y'all

Financial Aid: We would fall under the graduate category. I think that means we can get a 20,000 stafford loan from the gov't, not entirely sure, I'll let you guys know if I find out anything on this.

That is 100% correct. I already filled out my FAFSA and that is the amount I will be allowed (not including Grad Plus and private).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! My husband and I graduated from LECOM pharmacy schools a few years ago and we are moving and looking to rent our house located not even 2 blocks from the school! It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom ranch with a 2 car garage on a corner lot with a large fenced in yard. All kitchen appliances included (all new within the last 4 years) and hookups in the basement for washer/dryer. We're asking $900/mo. water, sewer, garbage included. *****HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED*****

Last edited:
Does anyone know the total time to receive the letter from when status changed to decision has been made?

Does anyone know the total time to receive the letter from when status changed to decision has been made?

Mine took about 4-5 days, but that might be because I'm in the Erie area, it seemed as if everyone else was about 2 weeks. :) Good luck!

Accepted and matriculating !!!! Can't wait to meet everyone. Good luck to the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Accepted also! What happened to the Facebook group that was made?

Accepted and matriculating !!!! Can't wait to meet everyone. Good luck to the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Congrats on the acceptance!!! Look forward to seeing you this fall!

Accepted also! What happened to the Facebook group that was made?

There was a fb group made? If you find it, let us know, I'm sure a lot of us would like to start figuring out roommates and getting to know each other better.

How far away do you you accepted people live from LECOM, and how many days did it take to deliver from when they said a decision has been made..?

How far away do you you accepted people live from LECOM, and how many days did it take to deliver from when they said a decision has been made..?

I'm in Rochester, NY. It took about a week for my decision.

hmm, I couldn't find one on facebook. I think I'll make one later tonight, I'll post the link on here and you guys can join on.

Yes please do make a fb group. I was looking at the apartments and they are insanely cheap which is a good news ! And also, Erie doesn't have Chase Bank? that really surprised me. I think I have to open a new account with some other local bank there.

Yes please do make a fb group. I was looking at the apartments and they are insanely cheap which is a good news ! And also, Erie doesn't have Chase Bank? that really surprised me. I think I have to open a new account with some other local bank there.

Yeah, it's amazing, I have a list of the apartments near the main campus, I'll add all that to the FB group when I get it up.

Here's the link for the FB group

Last edited:
Is everyone posting about the 2 year Biomedical Science MS program? I can't find a 1 year postbac program on their website.

There was a fb group made? If you find it, let us know, I'm sure a lot of us would like to start figuring out roommates and getting to know each other better.

I thought CGRblue had made one?

I actually did, then as I was looking to add a picture I came across LECOM's 'style guide' of sorts. I realized that I may be breaking policy by using LECOM's logo without permission. So, I emailed IT or whomever the dept was and pretty much was told that they seek to approve pages associated with the school and what not and asked for a link to the group.

I pretty much decided I didn't want to be in anyway associated if people's comments started getting outlandish (paranoid, probably, but wasn't worth it to me).

So, no group, I deleted it. I'm sure someone could create a new, but I just didn't want to be the admin.

I actually did, then as I was looking to add a picture I came across LECOM's 'style guide' of sorts. I realized that I may be breaking policy by using LECOM's logo without permission. So, I emailed IT or whomever the dept was and pretty much was told that they seek to approve pages associated with the school and what not and asked for a link to the group.

I pretty much decided I didn't want to be in anyway associated if people's comments started getting outlandish (paranoid, probably, but wasn't worth it to me).

So, no group, I deleted it. I'm sure someone could create a new, but I just didn't want to be the admin.

huh, weird....well as long as I don't put a logo on I should be fine? lol I just created a new one, link is up a few posts

What is their correct order to the curriculum? What they have online displays the spring semester on the top?

"Spring Semester

Course Topic

Cell Biology

Biochemistry

Physiology

Histology

Genetics

Microbiology

Critical Thinking

January-April

Course Topic

Anatomy

Immunology

Virology

Pathology

Pharmacology & Toxicology

Intro to Osteopathic Medicine"
____

So is the bottom chunk the first semester classes?

No, the top chunk should be the fall semester, I think it's just mislabeled.

Fall Semester
Course Numbers Courses Credit Hours
CLB 1501 Cell Biology 2
BCH 1501 Biochemistry 3
PHY 1510 Physiology 5
CLB 1504 Histology 1
GEN 1510 Medical Genetics 1
MCB 1501 Microbiology 2
RM 1501 Critical Thinking 1
Total 15

Spring Semester
ANT 1505 Anatomy 5
IMM 1501 Immunology 1
VIR 1501 Virology 1
PTH 1501 Pathology 4
PHC 1503 Pharmacology & Toxicology 3
MED 1501 Introduction to Clinical Medicine 1
Total 15

haha, it only gets worse. We're doing a 15 credit load but 1st year med students do around 30 credits.

It is essentially the same courseload, but they divide the value of our credits in half. Don't know why, but that is how some of my post-bac/med student friends explained it to me.

It is essentially the same courseload, but they divide the value of our credits in half. Don't know why, but that is how some of my post-bac/med student friends explained it to me.

interesting. I think another big difference between ours and the MS-1 is that they do a full year of anatomy too. The post-bac should be fun though

I applied to this program in Jan. But I am still "under review" for regular DO this year. For this reason, my post bacc app is on hold till the regular DO makes an official decision. Never have I prayed so hard for a rejection! Just want an acceptance into Post Bacc so I at least know where I will be heading. Ahhh this wait, already know my chances are slim for regular DO this year. Ohh Jeez! Life of a Pre- med :/

For me, I submitted my stuff on 3/5th and heard back on 3/20. I only think mine was fast because I had applied to the DO school before the post-bac so they had most of my stuff to being with.
Was a decision made on your DO app before your post bacc?

My husband is a first year at lecom erie and I remember how nerve racking it was to move a family to a completely new place. If any of y'all are moving with a family and have questions about housing, financial assistance, or just want someone to introduce you around, let me know. We have an amazing group of "lecom widows" here to support each other in this journey :)

You can email me at [email protected] or find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=17815296&ref=tn_tnmn

Accepted in March.. was posting on the 2011-2012 thread (ooppss).

Here was my schedule of events:
Applied Jan 10th and it immediately went to "under review"
The portal changed to "a decision has been made" on Feb 17th
I got my letter on March 1st!

stats at time of application:
sGPA: 3.2
cGPA: 3.1
high MCAT

Cant wait to go fishing in Erie!!!

See you guys there :)

PS: Has anyone heard of mandatory gym time at LECOM?

Last edited:
Fall Semester
CLB 1501 Cell Biology 2
BCH 1501 Biochemistry 3
PHY 1510 Physiology 5
CLB 1504 Histology 1
GEN 1510 Medical Genetics 1
MCB 1501 Microbiology 2
RM 1501 Critical Thinking 1
Total 15

Spring Semester