LECOM Post Bacc 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linknyte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'll be in the Post Bacc this September and have been perusing the forums here but it doesn't look like anyone has started a thread yet for this year's Post Bacc class, so I started this one. Is anyone out there going to be in the program? We could discuss curricula, housing, schedules, whatever here... Looking forward to talking to you all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'll be in the Post Bacc this September and have been perusing the forums here but it doesn't look like anyone has started a thread yet for this year's Post Bacc class, so I started this one. Is anyone out there going to be in the program? We could discuss curricula, housing, schedules, whatever here... Looking forward to talking to you all :)

Hi there,

This is off-topic, but can you give me more information about LECOM's post-bac?

Thanks!

Sure thing. I will post some info about it on here tomorrow afternoon. I would do it tonight but it is pretty late and I need to get to bed. I'll try to put some info up about 3pm tomorrow, so check back then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here you go-- I am compiling this information from other threads about the postbac program at LECOM, it is a lot of general information and should answer many questions about the program:

The LECOM biomedical program is 1 year and has a class size of roughly 60 or so students. This number includes the biomedical post-bacc students, the Masters of Science students as well as pharmacy post-bacc students as well as any MS1 students who have unsatisfactory grades during their first year, so the realistic number is closer to 40ish. Dress code is mandatory on campus grounds and for guys the standard is a dress shirt, tie and slacks/khakis and for girls this is more "lax" whatever that translates into. There is no water or food allowed in the buildings outside of the cafeteria. Yes this includes water. Attendance is also mandatory. Security is strict and you will need your ID/key card to gain enter the building. The curriculum for the biomedical students are taught by the Basic Core MS1 faculty for LECOM and include:

Cell Biology 2 units
Biochemistry 3 units
Physiology 4 units
Histology 1 unit
Genetics 1 unit
Microbiology 2 units
Medical Terminology 2 units

Anatomy 5 units
Immunology 1 unit
Virology 1 unit
Pathology 4 units
Pharmacology & Toxicology 3 units
Intro to Medicine 1 unit

There will also be some smaller group setting lectures to accustom students to the PBL modalities of instruction.

A 3.0+ in the program and a certain minimum MCAT are "high predictors" of acceptance for medical school in the fall. Successful candidates will have a choice of the 3 LECOM campuses (Erie, Seton Hill, Bradenton) as well as a choice of tracks (PBL, LDP and ISP depending on which campus you choose/qualify for). Bradenton reserved only 5 spots for this year's class though so the majority entered Erie and SH. Acceptances elsewhere included PCOM and WVCOM.

LECOM-E has expanded to a campus located 10 miles out from their main campus on Grandview. This is located near the bay and will house the biomedical program students/classes, the Masters students/classes and probably the PBL MS1 students as well. Some administrative offices will also be located here.

Housing is primarily found near the main campus though some students choose to live closer to the Bayfront campus. The popular store for grocery shopping is Wegmans which is located near the main campus as well as other amenities such as Barnes and Noble and Borders. There is also a large new gym/rec facility that is located 1-2 miles away from the main campus that is available to be used by all LECOM students.

Other things that may or may not interest people are pretty scarce. Erie is located 2 hours drive from Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh and has not much to do. For food I hear it's mostly pizza and wings though Indian, Thai and Japanese I have heard are "palatable" options should you choose to eat out. I am a huge fan of food in general =X. Mm.. 25 cent beer is what I hear but I find that hard to believe. Erie has its own airport and flights out tend to get cancelled on a pretty regular basis due to snow. Flying in is never really a problem but departing is sometimes an issue and if successful will involve making a stop at either Cleveland, Pittsburgh or another city before departing to your actual destination.

Erie is probably colder than most areas that people will come from. Snow is also prevalent but supposedly they are great at clearing the roads/parking lots and salting. Erie's own parking lot behind the school is cleared by 3 plows apparently. That's as much as I can think of as of now so if you have any questions, you can always PM or post here and I'll try to answer with my limited knowledge. I plan on visiting in June to find housing/take care of pre-matriculation paperwork/background checks/other matters.
user_offline.gif

Class schedule/ Housing

What is our class schedule like? There are conflicting times on the website and from other web pages.
- If last year and the years before were any indication, classes will be late in the afternoon from 5-8 PM.

From another year -- Classes run from 2-6pm but usually end around 5pm.
The Postbacc courses take place in the Bayfront building in Erie.
The address is :
1 Rentway Pl , Should be right near Midtown and Presque Isle.
Beautiful campus but VERY hard to find. Take W 6th St (ALT 5) to Top Road. Just before you get to Top Road you will see a little sign for LECOM. I would advise everyone to figure out where the campus is a few days in advance as this seems like a weird city to drive in. The address is 1 Lecom Place, even though my GPS did not recognize the address, I just followed W. 6th St. till I saw Top Road. It seems like it is 10-15 mins to Main Campus. I talked to the grounds guy and he said most people only come to Bayfront for class then head to the main campus to study since the library is there.

Will we need to "dress up" even though classes are this late and it is at the Bayfront Campus?
- Yes. Anytime you wish to enter one of LECOM's campus buildings beside the new rec/wellness center, you must adhere to their dress code. The two campus buildings will close around midnight so this is unfortunate for those who wished to stay after hours to study.

Dress code is in effect until 5:30 pm on weekdays. Therefore, if you go there after 5pm or on weekends, you can dress casually.

-Please try and keep in mind that though the main campus is on Grandview, the biomedical program students, the M.S. program students, and PBL students are all taking classes at the Bayfront Campus. If you are planning on walking or biking to class, keep in mind if you choose to live around the main campus, it is about a 10 min drive to where we (biomedical class) will be taking classes.

- There are buses that will take you to campus if you do not wish to bring a car. However the one that drops you 2 blocks away from campus only comes around 3 times a day.

-Be careful where you park your cars if it's in the street or out in the open. In most cases that I've heard there is never any problem but petty crime seems to be an occasional occurrence.
Housing

- For apparently most of the housing in Erie, the universal pattern seems to be very thin walls. If you plan on being home much and studying there, it would probably be a good idea to avoid certain areas.

- Most places in Erie finding anything less than 1 year for lease terms is extremely hard. I only know of 2 that allow 3/6/9 months and they will charge pretty steep increases in rent for doing so.
Housing information from LECOM:
.www.goerie.com...
.www.rentalguideerie.com.
DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, move into the Granada apartments. All the horror stories you'll read about Granada are most definitely true...and I assure you, there are far more than you want to know. If you know anyone who's going to the postbac...STRONGLY advise them not to move into Granada as well...it's just not safe there...
. .
.Completing the Program/Going to Med School.
.The 2009-2010 Post-Baccalaureate Program certified 40 of the 52 students who completed the 2 semesters of coursework, with the following placement according to admissions data and student responses:..

..29 students were accepted to a LECOM program..
..4 to Erie campus in the ISP pathway..
..14 to Erie campus in the LDP pathway..
..5 to Bradenton campus (PBL pathway)..
..6 to Seton Hill campus (PBL pathway)..

..5 students were accepted elsewhere..
..2 to Ross University School of Medicine..
..1 to DMU-COM (Des Moines University—College of Osteopathic Medicine)
1 to WVSOM (West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine)..
..1 to unspecified medical school in NYC..

..6 students remained unplaced or did not provide placement information at the time of last contact..

..40 out of 52 certified at the end of program. 32 of those 40 got into a US Osteopathic school afterwards with 6 students who qualified that did not report their plans. ...
. .
.Postbacc Testimonial (SDN Member= Navigon):.
I just finished the post bac and would be glad to answer any questions any incoming post bacs may have. Regarding the difficulty level, the lectures are near identical to the first year medical students (LDP pathway). I say nearly identical because the professors sometimes will tell us to focus on a particular part of the lecture or material presented for the exam whereas the MS1's have to learn everything. That being said, in my own personal opinion, I thought most of the material was of equal difficulty as undergrad (some of the stuff like read EKGs is much more difficult) but overall its just learning to absorb a lot of material in a limited amount of time (more time than MS1s are given though)

I think the post bac is an effective program because it's a good indicator, for a mere $13K :p rather than the $29K MS1's pay, of whether or not you have what it takes to make it through medical school. If you are struggling through this program, chances are you would be struggling even more in medical school.

With regards to placement. I think the metrics used were a little skewed because the class actually started with about 57 students but when the placement was calculated, the students that dropped out or just stopped attending weren't included. The 6 students that were certified but didn't get into LECOM probably didn't have the MCAT requirement or decided not to goto medical school (I know one guy in our class went to chiropractic school). My advice to the imcoming post bacs is to work as hard as you can your first semester and try to overcome what held you back as an undergrad from getting into medical school (i.e. poor study habits, waiting to the last minute, ect.) and shoot for a 4.0. While the yield might be a little low this year for placement into the medical school, i'm confident if you managed your time right, found a good study group, and treated school like a job, you can get a 4.0. I mean honestly, if you are in the post bac this is like an all or nothing, last chance effort to get into medical school and should be treated as such. If you do well the first semester, there is a lot less stress to deal with the second semester and you can go out and explore all what Erie has to offer (besides the snow :p).

Advice:
.Originally Posted by pianoman511 .....
.If you are doing the one year post-bac and hope to get in to LECOM as a med student, a few words of advice.

1) Get as close to a 4.0 GPA as you can during the first semester. It is one of the biggest things that admissions looks at when considering your application.

2) Don't slack off second semester just because you get in to med school, you still have to pass post-bac to be awarded admission to LECOM.

3) Get as much out of post-bac as you can. If you plan on going to LECOM you will have the same professors and pretty much everything you will be learning in post-bac over again. Get it down while in post-bac and you only have small amounts to study at one time, and it's a heck of a lot less that you need to worry about when actually in med school (you have a huge advantage in that you've seen test questions just like or identical to what you'll have in med school).

4) Enjoy yourself (i.e. only having a few hours of class per day), medical school is a solid 6-8 hours of lecture material plus hours of studying (on average), so take this opportunity to relax just a bit.

5) Visit the main campus - post-bac is mainly at the bayfront campus, but take advantage of having access to the main campus to get an idea of what LECOM is like. I don't know if it's still allowed, but back when I did it we could sit in on any lectures we wanted to. I know that last year we had post-bac students watch our H&P classes and it's a great preview of coming attractions. If you're on the fence about going to LECOM for medical school it's a good way to make your decision..

On MCAT and GPA (From FutureDoc01):
In all seriousness about the program. You have to score a 22 on the MCAT or higher. If you don't have that by the start of the program in September I wouldn't even do the program. I know there are kids in the program without the 22. Why would someone go to a program spend 30K and not even have a high enough MCAT to get into the next phase of the program? That is rather stupid. So they are putting all their eggs in one basket in Jan? That would make me really nervous.

They are less strict about the GPA. I'm not sure if they have a cut off, but I want to say a 3.0 or higher in undergrad. I graduated with a 3.6 from a major university so it didn't matter.

I'll say it again... the MCAT is the big deal. If you get a 21 on the MCAT they will NOT accept you. They make that very clear.

If you get a 22 on the MCAT and have close to a 3.0 in program you will get a interview. If you do all 3 things (22 or higher on the MCAT, a 3.0 in the post bacc program when it finishes in April, and no drugs) you will be accepted. Everyone that did all three of things were accepted last year.

Don't worry about having the application in the first day. The admissions office is really slow. They have 4 admissions people for 3 branches. It takes months. I applied in Jan, it took till the end of March for them to get my MCAT, and then I was accepted the last week of May.

This school is very strict on rules. The dress code must be followed. You are not allowed to eat in class or even drink. People do it. They bring water in and they mark them down. They do attendence everyday and you have to be on time. It would look awful to be interviewed with 30 tardies in the first semester alone. If this really turns you off, I wouldn't go to LECOM. I honestly didn't know it was like this when I signed up. Just a FYI....

Basic Med School Interview Questions:
Why DO?
Why medicine?
What are 3 Strengths and 1 Weakness that you have?
What's your Leadership style?
What do you do to relieve stress?
Talk about a time when you had a conflict with someone and how you handled the situation
How do you work in a team?
Tell us something about yourself that is not on you application..

I think there is an entire thread about this for this years class...check the thread from last year. the last 5 pages of the thread are very helpful. Also a lot of what was posted about is outdated. You need a 23 MCAT and if you get that and a 3.0 you are gauranteed in a seat, its more than a "high predictor" now which is cool

Last edited:
I've used the search bar and was unable to find a 2011-2012 LECOM postbac topic, that's why I made this. Also a lot of this information came from last year's class thread and the year prior to it, so while some of it may be outdated it is likely still a decent guideline to go by. I was just trying to be polite and gather it all in one place.

Wasn't trying to be rude sorry if it came across that's way. I think the program is much more appealing now that there is a garantee if you meet the requirements. If you check last years thread, students from the program gave some really good insight

I'd like to apply to this program in January.

Does this postbac rely mostly on numbers and a science lor for admissions?

Last edited:
It's ok docdonny... I was also hoping that if people saw a more recent thread regarding this program they would be more inclined to post in it and it would draw out people entering the program this year.

Dubaifan-- acceptance into the postbac is mostly based on gpa, I do not believe that the MCAT is required but I may be wrong. I applied to their medical school and was not accepted but I submitted a quick application for the postbac and I got in right away.

I think you may be all right with a 3.0, obviously you want it to be as high as you can get it... The cut off is the 2.8 range I believe.

Dubaifan-- acceptance into the postbac is mostly based on gpa, I do not believe that the MCAT is required but I may be wrong. I applied to their medical school and was not accepted but I submitted a quick application for the postbac and I got in right away.

I think you may be all right with a 3.0, obviously you want it to be as high as you can get it... The cut off is the 2.8 range I believe.

I believe they do require the MCAT, and a score of at least 23. But still I want to get as high of a score as I can (which would hopefully be much higher than 23).

And when did you apply to the postbac?

I applied in May sometime and I was accepted within a week, but they already had a lot of my information on file from having applied to their medical program. I contacted Dr. Moore and he recommended I apply for the post-bacc, so I heard back right away. I know they are still accepting applications for the program and will be for most of the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mikey,

I am looking for housing too for this Sept. I need a furnished place, cause I have no furniture. PM me if you're interested in talking about it and we can share information or something.

Hi guys. So I'm a little late in the process of applying to the post bac program. I know applications can continue to come in until August but it's almost July... Are there any spots left in the 2011-2012 class?

Hey Ms. Vera

Unfortunately I do not know if there are any spots left. I think LECOM usually accepts about 50-60 students into the program. I just checked the 'updated' (most recent) room mate list and there are 36 names on the list, so at least 36 people have been accepted.

Definitely apply asap if you want to get in. Best of luck.

Hey Ms. Vera

Unfortunately I do not know if there are any spots left. I think LECOM usually accepts about 50-60 students into the program. I just checked the 'updated' (most recent) room mate list and there are 36 names on the list, so at least 36 people have been accepted.

Definitely apply asap if you want to get in. Best of luck.

Sounds like music to my ears :)

HI all, just wondered if there is a Facebook group made yet for the 2011-2012 class

Hey a question for those who have been in the post bacc. I sent in my AACOMAS app for this cycle but I am planning on attending the post bacc for this coming Fall. Can I still interview for LECOM this summer and then not go to the post bacc if I get in or will they know I'm planning to do the post bacc and not interview me until later?

If you're in the post-bacc and you submitted your secondary into AACOMAS for LECOM, they will put your file in a different pile with the rest of the post-baccs and you will interview in early February.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, I just created a facebook group for the 2011-2012 class. It is called "LECOM post bacc 2011-2012" spelled exactly that way. Find it and join.

Hey all, I just created a facebook group for the 2011-2012 class. It is called "LECOM post bacc 2011-2012" spelled exactly that way. Find it and join.

There's been a Facebook group for our class for a while now. Probably best to join that one.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard if they are still accepting applications?

Does anyone know the drop box info? I saw it on facebook in our group but I dont see it anymore. Thanks!

Thanks I joined the other group.

Hey guys, I just got accepted for the Post Bacc Program 2011-2012. What is the title of this facebook group? I only found the one for 2010-2011.

Thanks! I am stoked to meet all of yall.

--Evan

Hey fellow '11-'12 Postbacc students!

Mikey here. I just wanted to see if any of you have already found housing for this fall. I'm just starting the process and thought it would be nice to have a roommate who was also in the program.

PM me or post if you're interested.

Regards!

Hey Mikey, I am interested in housting also! I am looking for a roommate in the program as well. Have you already found someone? Also, is there a roommate list on the website? I just got accepted yesterday into the program. Is there a facebook group that everyone is a part of?

Thanks!
Evan

About one month after first posting my inquiry for an application, I have received a "a decision has been made" blah blah blah. I'm really hoping I got in, I'll find out this week.

has anyone on this thread heard or personally experienced being accepted with a sub 3.0 science gpa and 23+ MCAT?

has anyone on this thread heard or personally experienced being accepted with a sub 3.0 science gpa and 23+ MCAT?
I don't think they look at science GPAs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Well... I did not get in. Most people won't update and share that, but for whomever does look up this thread asking the same question... They do look at science GPA and if it's lower than a 3.0... chances are slim. I saw someone on a thread with a 31MCAT and a sub 3.0 also get rejected. Anyway, I shall keep on truckin and look elsewhere. To those accepted, congratulations!

Well... I did not get in. Most people won't update and share that, but for whomever does look up this thread asking the same question... They do look at science GPA and if it's lower than a 3.0... chances are slim. I saw someone on a thread with a 31MCAT and a sub 3.0 also get rejected. Anyway, I shall keep on truckin and look elsewhere. To those accepted, congratulations!

I really appreciate it 'coz now I don't regret not sending my app two months ago. I was about to do a last minute panic send-in today just in case, and looked to see if there were still spots left. Thanks and good luck, girl. :)

Hey I have a quesiton about applying to the Post bach program. Is it like applying to medical school where you must apply the year in advance or do you get accepted the year of. So if I was to apply june 2012 would i be enrolling for the august 2012 class or the next years class? Thanks

My stats right now are
3.2 cum gpa
3.1 sc
MCAT: in august
volunteer experience
Going into my senior year as a Biological science major

Thanks for your help!

Hey I have a quesiton about applying to the Post bach program. Is it like applying to medical school where you must apply the year in advance or do you get accepted the year of. So if I was to apply june 2012 would i be enrolling for the august 2012 class or the next years class? Thanks

My stats right now are
3.2 cum gpa
3.1 sc
MCAT: in august
volunteer experience
Going into my senior year as a Biological science major

Thanks for your help!
You can apply to this program as early as January 2012 (for 2012-13), and the earlier the better. You need a science letter of recommendation from a professor, you need 6 credits of behavioral sciences in addition to the typical prereqs, and you need to write some kind of essay or personal statement. The application is quite simple otherwise.

With these stats I don't think you'll have a problem getting in.

Im a biology major some I definitley have the 6 credits of behavior sciences done, and since I was preparing for application to DO school I have two professors lined up for LOR's. But wow I did not know you could apply that early thanks! Are you doing the Post Bach program? For me I am gonna have to take a year off reguardless so i figure I might as well do something that as long as i can maintain a 3.0 will give me a great shot of getting into LECOM-Erie. And it should give me a good idea of whether or not I can hang in medical school as well as giving me a leg up on the competition of first year Medical school. Any other advice of this Post Bach would be greatly appreciated!

I heard you only need somewhere around a 23-24? Just out of curiosity what are your stats?

Is anyone else planning on applying for 2012 lecom post bach? If so if you could put your stats down that would be cool

Mine are 3.2 cum 3.0sc going into senior year next year
MCAT:TBD aug23 :p

So, um, I was blatantly rejected to this program. My PCAT is 70; their average is 60. My gpa hovers around 3.2 between comm coll, 2 undergrad degrees, and a masters in pharmaceutical sciences. I had poor marks in the beginning, but those classes have all since been retaken. It's really disheartening.
When did you apply?

Hey fellow postbacc-ers. I was in Erie today looking for an apartment, and was wondering if anyone else is still looking for a place and wants to split a place, has an extra room that they are looking to fill, or has any good info/insight on where to look.

Im a 21 yr old male

.... please send me a personal message if you have any info.

Last edited:
Mikey and or Evan,

I may be interested in rooming together assuming you don't have a place lined up already? Let me know about your situation.

Chris

Hey I was just accepted into the Post Bac Program I was wondering what the name of the facebook group is I cannot find it. I also was wondering if anyone needed a roommate. I am a 22 yr old male I also went to Mercyhurst so I have lived in Erie for 4 years already and know where most things are.

Im having the same issue with the facebook group, would someone post a link so that I can get there because when I search nothing comes up

Do you guys know if LECOM's postbaac program will replace grades for classes that we re-took again? Also, How does this program fare with out of state schools or students' in-state schools?

Not sure if they do grade replacement for their admissions GPA consideration. Best to call in and ask to talk to Jamie Murphy in particular about that.

As for in state vs. out of state schools, in my personal experience/opinion, the LECOM program is made for you to enter a LECOM campus/program (pharmacy or medical school). The vast majority of successful students that complete the program and satisfy their requirements will do so with 24-28 from my class entering LECOM for medical school as the class of 2015. 3-4 went elsewhere (Nova Southeastern, Touro-Nevada and ATSU-SOMA). Past successful students have gone to TU-NY, back west, PCOM, etc. The numbers aren't nearly equal to those going back into LECOM but they exist.

24-28 from my class entering LECOM for medical school as the class of 2015. 3-4 went elsewhere (Nova Southeastern, Touro-Nevada and ATSU-SOMA). .
So about 27-32 went to medical school after the LECOM program? Out of what size class was this from? Thanks.