LECOM Post Bacc 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so what is the average MCAT/GPA-science/cum for accepted post-bac programs?

How many seats are available?

What is the requirements for matriculation to the DO program...I think its 23 MCAT and 3.0 GPA??

How many years is this program-1 or 2??

Hey guyz! i was wondering if LECOM offers financial aid or federal loans for this program? i am curious. would be grateful for any help!.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have just learned that the postbac admissions does NOT do grade replacement.

For any Post-Bacc students who are still looking for an apartment for the 2011-2012 school year.

I have a room available in a 2 bedroom Scenery Hill Townhouse. These are very nice townhouses with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living room, single car garage, washer and dryer, and it is very spacious.

If interested please email me at [email protected]

I spoke to an admission counselor in July 2011, he stated that a 23 and above MCAT will give you a chance in getting accepted to LECOM and a little below 23 would still be acceptable for the post Bacc program.
I believe they do require the MCAT, and a score of at least 23. But still I want to get as high of a score as I can (which would hopefully be much higher than 23).

And when did you apply to the postbac?

I spoke to an admission counselor in July 2011, he stated that a 23 and above MCAT will give you a chance in getting accepted to LECOM and a little below 23 would still be acceptable for the post Bacc program.
I guess whoever has 23 or lower better have a decent undergrad GPA.

Last edited:
Well that blows. I was really planning on the program if I didn't get in. Time to sign up for more science courses.
Well you have to remember that the DO schools only do grade replacement because of the way the AACOMAS is configured. The postbac doesn't use the AACOMAS, and it is not solely for students who are aiming for medicine (pre-pharmacy students do the same postbac as well, and I doubt that pharmacy schools replace grades, though I honestly know nothing about their admission process).

Well you have to remember that the DO schools only do grade replacement because of the way the AACOMAS is configured. The postbac doesn't use the AACOMAS, and it is not solely for students who are aiming for medicine (pre-pharmacy students do the same postbac as well, and I doubt that pharmacy schools replace grades, though I honestly know nothing about their admission process).

Good point. I suppose there are other avenues than a formal post-bacc or other post-bacss than than this one.

Does anyone know the minimum cGPA and/or sGPA for acceptance into the post-bacc?

Does anyone know the minimum cGPA and/or sGPA for acceptance into the post-bacc?
I believe it is 2.7, but they only have ~60 spots, so in reality they will rarely go that low.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you pass the class the first time, do you get credit for it and not have to retake it for medical school?

Hey everyone,

I plan on applying to LECOM as well, I emailed and they said the application will be available in January. Cant wait!!! (BART SCOTT VOICE)

Hey everyone,

I plan on applying to LECOM as well, I emailed and they said the application will be available in January. Cant wait!!! (BART SCOTT VOICE)
Did they say when in January?

Nope. Just told me January 2012. Maybe I will e-mail them again.
Well if you're taking your MCAT in January, then they won't have your score until late Feb/early March. And I'm not so sure about their willingness to take someone with a 2.75 GPA, but I guess it's worth a try.

Well if you're taking your MCAT in January, then they won't have your score until late Feb/early March. And I'm not so sure about their willingness to take someone with a 2.75 GPA, but I guess it's worth a try.

Well they said at least a 2.7 so it is not that much of a risk to apply. The application will be available in January so I don't thing I will be that late with my application if I stay on top of things.

Well they said at least a 2.7 so it is not that much of a risk to apply. The application will be available in January so I don't thing I will be that late with my application if I stay on top of things.
Well then good luck, but also consider other options if this doesn't work out for you. From what others say, most people apply to postbacs from April to June (after they figure that they won't get into med school), so try to get your app in as early as possible.

Hey :)

I have plans to apply to the LECOM post-bac program for 2012-2013, I was just wondering if anyone knows what the minimum sGPA is? My cGPA is around a 3.4.... but my sGPA is less inspiring... Also I took the MCATs once and received a 22 on them, is that enough for getting into the post bac program? I know I'm going to retake them in January but if I were to apply in January the new scores wouldn't be out yet... Also, is the AACOMAS used for applying to the post bac program? Or is there a seperate application?

Thanks, and good luck in your classes!

Hey :)

I have plans to apply to the LECOM post-bac program for 2012-2013, I was just wondering if anyone knows what the minimum sGPA is? My cGPA is around a 3.4.... but my sGPA is less inspiring... Also I took the MCATs once and received a 22 on them, is that enough for getting into the post bac program? I know I'm going to retake them in January but if I were to apply in January the new scores wouldn't be out yet... Also, is the AACOMAS used for applying to the post bac program? Or is there a seperate application?

Thanks, and good luck in your classes!
Your cGPA is fine, MCAT is low (you need 23+ if you want to get into med school from there), and sGPA should be at least 2.8-2.9.

And there is a separate application.

Your cGPA is fine, MCAT is low (you need 23+ if you want to get into med school from there), and sGPA should be at least 2.8-2.9.

And there is a separate application.

Thanks! Is the MCAT high enough to get into the post-bac program? I know I'll need to re-take it eventually for applying to med school but is it ok for the time being? Do you have any idea of how competitive the post bac program is? I haven't seen any statistics anywhere so far as number that apply/get accepted.

From what I have read on previous threads, your best bet is to achieve that 23+ score BEFORE you enter the program. Yes, with a 3.4 and an early app, you do have a shot at earning a seat in their post-bacc program without >23 MCAT. However, once in the program, the work load will require all or most of your attention. Many have recommended against studying for the MCAT while in the program, although some have pulled it off. To attempt to do so is to run the risk of jeopardizing not only your grades, but also your MCAT score.

Get the MCAT out of the way first. Apply to the program early. Contact the school about applying and ask them the questions directly. When I was considering applying they were very receptive and answered all of my questions.

Just to reiterate what I mentioned already: Study for your MCAT now and break that barrier. It's not THAT hard if you prepare efficiently. Who knows? Maybe you will pull a score that would allow you to forget about any post-baccs/SMPs and move on straight through to a D.O. program, although it will be a bit late in the game for that. Still: MCAT MCAT MCAT. And apply as soon as that application opens, which means having your LOR ready to go. See if you can find what the essay prompts are as well so you can work on that too.

Did I mention getting the MCAT out of the way BEFORE you start the post-bacc? MCAT!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!

so do they automatically accept you to the DO program if you maintain a 3.0 and have a 23 MCAT?

Also, do the students take medical school classes or different level of classes?

Do they get credit for them if they pass the first time or retake all?

I've read that thread and it doesn't answer the question about extracurriculars.

I'm sure clinical exposure/experience wouldn't hurt and may actually help you stand out a bit. But the fluff EC's (and most EC's are fluff) probably don't hold too much weight; they should be things you enjoy doing. That's what matters most.

What is the average GPA/MCAT of accepted Post-bacc students??

Also, how many seats are available?

Are the only requirements a 3.0 and 23 MCAT for acceptance into the DO program the following year?

What is the average GPA/MCAT of accepted Post-bacc students??

Also, how many seats are available?

Are the only requirements a 3.0 and 23 MCAT for acceptance into the DO program the following year?
Average GPA: 3.1, cutoff is 2.7
Average MCAT: lower to mid 20s, I think
Seats available: 65 or so
Requirements: 3.0+ in the program, 23+ MCAT, pass all classes, get a good LOR in the program, and do well in the interview. It goes without saying that you must also apply to the DO school using AACOMAS.

Last edited:
They make you retake the classes you pass in the Masters program though right?

Also, last year, how many of the 60-65 students matriculated into the DO program the following year?

They make you retake the classes you pass in the Masters program though right?
I think so but this thread isn't about the Masters program, it's about the postbac.

Also, last year, how many of the 60-65 students matriculated into the DO program the following year?
56%

Hello all,

Sorry in advance if this has been addressed. I read through all six pages of from last year and I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

So... Can I use the LOR's I used for DO secondaries this cycle when applying for post-bacc or do I have to get a specific LOR addressing my application to the the post-bacc program? Hopefully that makes sense. I'd call, but I'm not quite sure if I'm going to apply for the post-bacc yet, and I thought someone else may have the same question.

Thanks much!!

The same letter is fine. Worked for me.

Hey guys for those of you who dont have 23 MCAT score and got accepted into the postbac program....Take the MCAT before you start your class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of ppl think that getting 3.0 isnt that hard but it's not easy either. My classmates and I study everyday and sometimes we dont feel that it's enough. You literally do not have the time to study for MCAT while taking these courses.

Hello;

Could somebody list books U are using in postbac for each subjects?

Thank You very much

I'm just bumping this so that prospective students for the upcoming year know about this program. i would not have heard of it, if it were not for SDN.

it's a solid program... and you WILL work your tail off if you wish to do well. the 3.0 is no joke.

anyhow, it's exam time, so i shouldn't spend too much on here.

BUMP!!!

I'm just bumping this so that prospective students for the upcoming year know about this program. i would not have heard of it, if it were not for SDN.

it's a solid program... and you WILL work your tail off if you wish to do well. the 3.0 is no joke.

anyhow, it's exam time, so i shouldn't spend too much on here.

BUMP!!!
How did first semester go? Any regrets about the program after making it through the first half? Trying to get as much info about this program as I can.

Thanks!

How did first semester go? Any regrets about the program after making it through the first half? Trying to get as much info about this program as I can.

Thanks!

also, how competitive do your stats have to be to get into the program? thanks!

Thanks!

The first semester actually went really well. That said, I worked my tail off... probably harder than I ever have (in school that is). I graduated undergrad close to 10 years ago, so it took me a bit of time to hone in on which study methods work best for each particular class; I feel that I am still working on this and plan on improving my habits during the second half. I'm glad to have the opportunity to work on this now as opposed to during MS1.

As far as the classes go in the program, they will (for the most part) require you to devote consistent (i.e. daily) study time, which for me has been a couple of hours at night after class and then a few hours (~5-6) each weekend day. (You will hear of the average student studying 4 hours each weekday and 8 hour EACH weekend day, but I really only put in that much time over the weekends before an exam- usually it would be 10+ hours each weekend day). Regardless, plan on studying the average amount of time until you find what works for you. Different classes will require varying degrees of both time, effort, and focus; ATTACK each one from day 1. This is definitely NOT undergrad and the cramming that worked then just won't cut it now. You must find which study methods work best for you. Be flexible.

I have absolutely NO regrets for embarking on this post-bac. Without going into great lengths, I know I will be ready for medical school when I start (hopefully this year ;) ) and I honestly feel that I will excel when the time comes. Before I started, I thought that I had it in me to do well, however there was still a big question-mark of if I REALLY could, being that it's been some time since school. I can say now, without hesitation (and because of this program thus far) that I know I can not only do it, but I'm going to do it well.

If you have the work ethic, the drive to persevere (which you will need when the going get's tough, especially during physiology and biochem), and are in a situation that requires an SMP-like program to earn a seat in medical school, then this program is for you. But trust me, an acceptance into this program is FAR from an acceptance into medical school. They really make sure that you earn it. You must have an aptitude for the material, but when it comes down to it, your success will stem from effort and time management, which is within your control.

As far as admissions stats go for the post-bac, I honestly have no idea. The only thing you can do is apply. I would assume that you significantly improve your chances by applying early, so if you're interested get to sending that application ASAP. They are relatively quick with processing it; I received word of my acceptance within a month of applying.

If you have any questions regarding the program, just post them here for the sake of others seeking similar information. Last year's thread helped a lot in making the decision to attend this program as well as opening my eyes to the fact that it is no joke. I suggest giving that thread (link below) a read as well; it's loaded with info, some great, some not-so-great and a few oozing a bit of emotion after a frustrating experience, so be aware of this before arriving at any conclusions. (FYI Last year's biochem issues were cleared up by the time our class started in September).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=730523.

Do feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding particulars that you are uncomfortable with discussing openly in the forum.

Last edited:
The first semester actually went really well. That said, I worked my tail off... probably harder than I ever have (in school that is). I graduated undergrad close to 10 years ago, so it took me a bit of time to hone in on which study methods work best for each particular class; I feel that I am still working on this and plan on improving my habits during the second half. I'm glad to have the opportunity to work on this now as opposed to during MS1.

As far as the classes go in the program, they will (for the most part) require you to devote consistent (i.e. daily) study time, which for me has been a couple of hours at night after class and then a few hours (~5-6) each weekend day. (You will hear of the average student studying 4 hours each weekday and 8 hour EACH weekend day, but I really only put in that much time over the weekends before an exam- usually it would be 10+ hours each weekend day). Regardless, plan on studying the average amount of time until you find what works for you. Different classes will require varying degrees of both time, effort, and focus; ATTACK each one from day 1. This is definitely NOT undergrad and the cramming that worked then just won't cut it now. You must find which study methods work best for you. Be flexible.

I have absolutely NO regrets for embarking on this post-bac. Without going into great lengths, I know I will be ready for medical school when I start (hopefully this year ;) ) and I honestly feel that I will excel when the time comes. Before I started, I thought that I had it in me to do well, however there was still a big question-mark of if I REALLY could, being that it's been some time since school. I can say now, without hesitation (and because of this program thus far) that I know I can not only do it, but I'm going to do it well.

If you have the work ethic, the drive to persevere (which you will need when the going get's tough, especially during physiology and biochem), and are in a situation that requires an SMP-like program to earn a seat in medical school, then this program is for you. But trust me, an acceptance into this program is FAR from an acceptance into medical school. They really make sure that you earn it. You must have an aptitude for the material, but when it comes down to it, your success will stem from effort and time management, which is within your control.

As far as admissions stats go for the post-bac, I honestly have no idea. The only thing you can do is apply. I would assume that you significantly improve your chances by applying early, so if you're interested get to sending that application ASAP. They are relatively quick with processing it; I received word of my acceptance within a month of applying.

If you have any questions regarding the program, just post them here for the sake of others seeking similar information. Last year's thread helped a lot in making the decision to attend this program as well as opening my eyes to the fact that it is no joke. I suggest giving that thread (link below) a read as well; it's loaded with info, some great, some not-so-great and a few oozing a bit of emotion after a frustrating experience, so be aware of this before arriving at any conclusions. (FYI Last year's biochem issues were cleared up by the time our class started in September).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=730523.

Do feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding particulars that you are uncomfortable with discussing openly in the forum.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I need a program like this to help out with my GPA issues (parents hit with financial Problems so I picked up 30 hrs a week to support myself through college and gpa took a hit). I guess I'm just deciding on when to apply. I contacted Dr. Moore and he said to just apply after winter quarter (3/10) to have the highest gpa possible and that the deadline is 9/1. Do you guys think this will be too late; or do you recommend submitting now?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I need a program like this to help out with my GPA issues (parents hit with financial Problems so I picked up 30 hrs a week to support myself through college and gpa took a hit). I guess I'm just deciding on when to apply. I contacted Dr. Moore and he said to just apply after winter quarter (3/10) to have the highest gpa possible and that the deadline is 9/1. Do you guys think this will be too late; or do you recommend submitting now?

I seem to have a similar problem and have heard conflicting things. I have a C- that I need to retake in inorganic chem and I was told by one person that I CANNOT apply until I've retaken the C- and another person said that I can't apply because I have a 2.66 sciGPA NOT because of the C-...so I'm not sure either...

If it means anything, I had a friend that turned in the app sometime in June and got in. Don't know how strong her stats were though...

But I'm not sure what to do either. Wait until my class ends (May 27) and then turn in the app or just turn it in and probably get rejected for having such a ****ty gpa.

March is definitely NOT too late. I applied around that time.

I seem to have a similar problem and have heard conflicting things. I have a C- that I need to retake in inorganic chem and I was told by one person that I CANNOT apply until I've retaken the C- and another person said that I can't apply because I have a 2.66 sciGPA NOT because of the C-...so I'm not sure either...

If it means anything, I had a friend that turned in the app sometime in June and got in. Don't know how strong her stats were though...

But I'm not sure what to do either. Wait until my class ends (May 27) and then turn in the app or just turn it in and probably get rejected for having such a ****ty gpa.
My advice: finish the class. The minimum undergrad GPA for getting into the program is 2.7, so I don't think a 2.66 will cut it. Get it up to 2.8-2.9 and I think you'll have a chance of getting in if your MCAT is decent (I'd say 26+). As for the C-, they want at least a C in the prerequisites if your ultimate goal is the DO school, so I think you should wait until that's improved, just to be safe.

They also take people with MCATs in the low 20s, but then I think they want a decent (3.1-3.2+) GPA if that's the case (which neither you nor me have right now).

Last edited:
My advice: finish the class. The minimum undergrad GPA for getting into the program is 2.7, so I don't think a 2.66 will cut it. Get it up to 2.8-2.9 and I think you'll have a chance of getting in if your MCAT is decent (I'd say 26+). As for the C-, they want at least a C in the prerequisites if your ultimate goal is the DO school, so I think you should wait until that's improved, just to be safe.

They also take people with MCATs in the low 20s, but then I think they want a decent (3.1-3.2+) GPA if that's the case (which neither you nor me have right now).

Ah, thank you for the advice. I actually spoke with admissions and they said that same thing! I just completed a 4 unit Hlth Studies class (that won't be BCPM) but my overall should now be higher than 3.00. But the sci gpa , even with the 5unit class I'm gonna be taking, won't go up that high, I think...I might barely make it to 2.7 with it. My MCAT is a 28S (26 R 2nd attempt :/ ). I'm hoping my ECs will sway them since I have a TON of hands on clinical work, shadowing, volunteer, leadership, community outreach.

are you applying? good luck to you!

Ah, thank you for the advice. I actually spoke with admissions and they said that same thing! I just completed a 4 unit Hlth Studies class (that won't be BCPM) but my overall should now be higher than 3.00. But the sci gpa , even with the 5unit class I'm gonna be taking, won't go up that high, I think...I might barely make it to 2.7 with it. My MCAT is a 28S (26 R 2nd attempt :/ ). I'm hoping my ECs will sway them since I have a TON of hands on clinical work, shadowing, volunteer, leadership, community outreach.
Did you ask them if they do AACOMAS type grade replacement for postbac admissions? I think they unfortunately don't, but I've gotten some conflicted answers over that question.

are you applying? good luck to you!
Yes, after this spring semester, but I am mentally preparing myself for rejection and coming up with a backup plan in case I don't get in.

Did you ask them if they do AACOMAS type grade replacement for postbac admissions? I think they unfortunately don't, but I've gotten some conflicted answers over that question.

Yes, after this spring semester, but I am mentally preparing myself for rejection and coming up with a backup plan in case I don't get in.

I haven't, but I will. I keep thinking that Dr. Murphy is prolly so friggin annoyed by me and all my questions lol

ooo gluck! tbh,me too...I'm mentally preparing for LMU-DCOM / WCU (not that I mind, everyone I've talked to from both has been SO INSANELY nice and supportive that I'm kinda tempted to just go with one of them and not bother with applications)