LECOM Post Bacc 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any of you guys know if it is more difficult to gain admission to the Bradenton PBL campus in the post bacc compared to Erie's campus? If so, what is the best way to make sure you get an acceptance into Bradenton?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice: finish the class. The minimum undergrad GPA for getting into the program is 2.7, so I don't think a 2.66 will cut it. Get it up to 2.8-2.9 and I think you'll have a chance of getting in if your MCAT is decent (I'd say 26+). As for the C-, they want at least a C in the prerequisites if your ultimate goal is the DO school, so I think you should wait until that's improved, just to be safe.

They also take people with MCATs in the low 20s, but then I think they want a decent (3.1-3.2+) GPA if that's the case (which neither you nor me have right now).

I keep getting confused. Do they want a 2.7 overall or science? I've emaild 3 different people and 2 said its the overall and 1 said science..I have a 3.00 overall so I'm ok if that's the case but if it's the 2.7 SCIENCE they want then I'm in trouble

I keep getting confused. Do they want a 2.7 overall or science? I've emaild 3 different people and 2 said its the overall and 1 said science..I have a 3.00 overall so I'm ok if that's the case but if it's the 2.7 SCIENCE they want then I'm in trouble
Well, the website says 2.7 overall GPA, but Jamie Murphy keeps seemingly emphasizing science. And did you ask if postbac admissions does grade replacement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, the website says 2.7 overall GPA, but Jamie Murphy keeps seemingly emphasizing science. And did you ask if postbac admissions does grade replacement?

Yeah only one person said science...
I emailed them but no response yet regarding the grade replacement.

Well, my status on the portal changed from "we have received your ap" to "your application is under review" .. hopefully this will go better than the DO application, lol.

I have a few quick questions though. They haven't received my LOR, will they still make a decision without it? I'm just confused why they would start reviewing it without a requirement.

Also, if your status online changes to "a decision has been made.. you will receive a letter in 30 days" does this ABSOLUTELY mean rejection (like the DO school) OR does it mean acceptance?

When do they start sending out acceptances for the 2012-2013 year? Or previous years?

Thanks guys, I'm sure other people will be thinking of these questions too.

From last year the post bacc status "a decision has been made.. you will receive a letter in 30 days" usually meant you were in I believe. Take a look at the 2010-2011 page it has a lot of good info. Also, from that forum it was about a week or two after it changed until they knew.

Thanks so much! I have been scanning over last years thread extensively and couldn't seem to find the answer I was searching for.

Anyone been accepted into the 2012-2013 session??

Do U get money from fafsa? or do U need grad plus loan or other type?

Hi guys! New to this site. I just recieved by acceptance into the post-bac program today! I was ecstatic because med school apps have not been going so well, so I was thrilled to finally get an acceptance.
In response to someone's question above, my status changed last week to "a decision has been made regarding your application. You will recieve the decision in the mail within 30 day", or something along those lines. Mine was a positive answer, so hopefully yours is too! Has anybody else heard back yet?
-Erin

That's good! I'm applying in march. Mind sharing stats? And are you from OSU?

I'm planning on applying in May/June (need to retake a class first :/)
congrats on the acceptance. are you applying anywhere else?

That's good! I'm applying in march. Mind sharing stats? And are you from OSU?

I am from OSU! And I had a 3.38 GPA and a 29 on the MCAT. My science GPA was a little bit lower, closer to a 3.1. I graduated this past spring with my degree in Molecular genetics.
Im also applying to Midwestern's postbac program and Toledo's post bac program. Im also waiting to hear back from West Virginia, Midwestern's DO program, and Ohio University. Good luck to everyone applying! They seem to have a really quick turn around with the post bac applications. Mine changed to "a decision has been made" the day after they got all of my required paper work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted on the 10th! I have one M.D. interview under my belt and one more coming in February so I'm still waiting on those but if not I may very well end up here next year. Did anyone ever find out about getting into Bradenton PBL from here? I'd much rather move to sunny Florida than stay in Erie for 5 years. :p Good luck to everyone in their applications!

I am in Post Bacc this year and just to let you guys know, they only have about 4 spots in Bradenton. They also hinted that they give preference to students who live in Fl, so just a heads up.

I am in Post Bacc this year and just to let you guys know, they only have about 4 spots in Bradenton. They also hinted that they give preference to students who live in Fl, so just a heads up.
How many of the students really want to endure the moving cost to Bradenton though? I talked to a kid from last years post bacc and he said only one kid ended up going to Bradenton out of the whole post bacc class.

For your class, do you know how many students have talked about going to the Bradenton campus?

I'm a 2nd yr in Bradenton and did post bac 2009-10. We had 5 people come down. When I was in post bac that was the magic number of post bac people they take. The higher your GPA is in the program, the better chance you have of Bradenton. As for the one person accepted to Bradenton from post bac last year, I heard more were accepted but only one person decided to actually take the plunge and move down.

I'm a 2nd yr in Bradenton and did post bac 2009-10. We had 5 people come down. When I was in post bac that was the magic number of post bac people they take. The higher your GPA is in the program, the better chance you have of Bradenton. As for the one person accepted to Bradenton from post bac last year, I heard more were accepted but only one person decided to actually take the plunge and move down.
How does the process work for applying to the medical school in post bacc? Do you apply along with everyone else to each school and then they hold your application until the 1st semester grades are given?

Get your primary and secondary app in as early as possible, if you're doing post bac at LECOM, your best chances of acceptance are at LECOM. There were still a small handful of students (maybe 4 in my class of 60) that were accepted and decided to attend elsewhere (mainly for location/family reasons). You interview for LECOM with other post bacs sometime in your second semester of post bac. You also interview in Erie for all three campuses so you don't have to travel to Seton Hill or Bradenton.

The interview is technically before your second semester of postbac is finished and if accepted, you're given a conditional acceptance stipulating you must have a 3.0GPA by the time you finish post bac

Get your primary and secondary app in as early as possible, if you're doing post bac at LECOM, your best chances of acceptance are at LECOM. There were still a small handful of students (maybe 4 in my class of 60) that were accepted and decided to attend elsewhere (mainly for location/family reasons). You interview for LECOM with other post bacs sometime in your second semester of post bac. You also interview in Erie for all three campuses so you don't have to travel to Seton Hill or Bradenton.

The interview is technically before your second semester of postbac is finished and if accepted, you're given a conditional acceptance stipulating you must have a 3.0GPA by the time you finish post bac
Okay, so your pretty much interviewing for all three campuses at the same time and then depending on which campuses you get accepted to you pick?

How was your experience in the post bacc? Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

During the interview they had us rank which pathways (LDP. PBL, or ISP) we wanted and which locations we wanted. They called us a few weeks later to tell us which location and which pathway we were accepted to.

I personally loved post bac, it really honed my study skills and gave me a good foundation to build my medical knowledge on. I found a group of friends that had the same goals of working hard to get into medical school (you will meet people in post bac who party/study like they are still in undergrad) and studied with them all the time. We actually all got accepted into medical school and all live together still in Bradenton. Post bac really is what you make of it, lots of people complained about the rules, weather, the administration, certain professors, but I didn't think it was all that bad.

I came from a large university and kind of appreciated the professionalism the school held us to (no pajamas in lecture unfortunately) and also the attention most of the professors were willing to give you even though you weren't "officially" a medical student yet. If I could do it all over again, I would definitely re-do the LECOM post bac over any other path. Tuition is very reasonable as is tuition in the medical program if you get accepted. I mean what other school is willing to overlook all previous academic deficits and give you a fresh start/medical school acceptance contingent upon getting a 3.0 in the program and a mid 20's MCAT?

During the interview they had us rank which pathways (LDP. PBL, or ISP) we wanted and which locations we wanted. They called us a few weeks later to tell us which location and which pathway we were accepted to.

I personally loved post bac, it really honed my study skills and gave me a good foundation to build my medical knowledge on. I found a group of friends that had the same goals of working hard to get into medical school (you will meet people in post bac who party/study like they are still in undergrad) and studied with them all the time. We actually all got accepted into medical school and all live together still in Bradenton. Post bac really is what you make of it, lots of people complained about the rules, weather, the administration, certain professors, but I didn't think it was all that bad.

I came from a large university and kind of appreciated the professionalism the school held us to (no pajamas in lecture unfortunately) and also the attention most of the professors were willing to give you even though you weren't "officially" a medical student yet. If I could do it all over again, I would definitely re-do the LECOM post bac over any other path. Tuition is very reasonable as is tuition in the medical program if you get accepted. I mean what other school is willing to overlook all previous academic deficits and give you a fresh start/medical school acceptance contingent upon getting a 3.0 in the program and a mid 20's MCAT?

Hey Navigon, since you're down in Fl that means you're doing PBL. How was the transition from Post Bacc to PBL? I am thinking about doing PBL at Seton Hill but not sure how PBL actually is.

It's much tougher considering people in Erie's LDP pathway who attended post bac often had the same lecture slides and professors so in a way they "know" what the test and testing style is going to be like. For the first year at least.

Don't get me wrong, post bac gave me a bunch of medical knowledge, but I wasn't used to reading from textbooks for all my information. I realized last year I was oftentimes simply skimming trying to find the "bulletpoints" I needed to know kind of like a powerpoint would have. When I really focused and read the text book slowly and like a novel, I learned a lot more and my grades got a lot better.

That being said, I would stil highly recommend PBL simply because it makes you think and you learn how to "learn". When you are on rotations and the preceptor asks you to find out the pathophysiology of something, PBL people automatically know where to go and how to look things up. PBL also gives you early exposure to a lot of the tests real clinicians use to narrow a differential.

There is also the difference in lifestyle, LDP people have an exam pretty much every week so they are stressed all the time. You can usually tell who is LDP at the main campus because they are the ones that look like zombies haha. PBL gives you flexibility in when you want to learn so if you really want to just take a day off, you can and work hard the following day without stressing over next weeks test. Of course there are pros and cons, for example, most PBL tests have about 30-40 TEXTBOOK chapters. It's kind of ridiculous and downright scary at first, but you get used to and and will be surprised how much you can learn for one test. Also there are usually only 3 PBL tests a semester so if you fail one, it could be a very steep uphill climb to redeem yourself.

It's much tougher considering people in Erie's LDP pathway who attended post bac often had the same lecture slides and professors so in a way they "know" what the test and testing style is going to be like. For the first year at least.

Don't get me wrong, post bac gave me a bunch of medical knowledge, but I wasn't used to reading from textbooks for all my information. I realized last year I was oftentimes simply skimming trying to find the "bulletpoints" I needed to know kind of like a powerpoint would have. When I really focused and read the text book slowly and like a novel, I learned a lot more and my grades got a lot better.

That being said, I would stil highly recommend PBL simply because it makes you think and you learn how to "learn". When you are on rotations and the preceptor asks you to find out the pathophysiology of something, PBL people automatically know where to go and how to look things up. PBL also gives you early exposure to a lot of the tests real clinicians use to narrow a differential.

There is also the difference in lifestyle, LDP people have an exam pretty much every week so they are stressed all the time. You can usually tell who is LDP at the main campus because they are the ones that look like zombies haha. PBL gives you flexibility in when you want to learn so if you really want to just take a day off, you can and work hard the following day without stressing over next weeks test. Of course there are pros and cons, for example, most PBL tests have about 30-40 TEXTBOOK chapters. It's kind of ridiculous and downright scary at first, but you get used to and and will be surprised how much you can learn for one test. Also there are usually only 3 PBL tests a semester so if you fail one, it could be a very steep uphill climb to redeem yourself.
Do you usually just try to study everything in those chapters or do they give you a main topic list? That sounds insane, but I guess it would really prepare you for later in life.

Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT? (Took the MCAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT? (Took the MCAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm not sure how strict they are on the MCAT requirement. I was already accepted with a 30R MCAT and a 2.9 GPA with outstanding EC's. I'd def make sure that MCAT is a significant improvement this time around. If you can get in though this program seems like a good fit for you. Best of luck to you! :xf:

You have to know everything in the chapters. Some books have smaller chapters but then you have books like Robbins "Pathologic Basis of Disease" which has massive chapters so in the end you read a LOT and feel sort of smart :p

As for "medadvicewanted"'s question, a 20 is probably too low. You also need at least a 22 or 23 ( I think that was the minimum when I was in post bac) to be accepted into the medical school and you don't want to have to study for both the MCAT and post bac coursework while in the post bac. That is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the response to both of you, no I would not study for them both haha, I would plan to take the MCAT this coming march and get it out of the way and then hope to get into the program. Should I wait to apply until after the MCAT or apply now. Is there someone at the school who I should contact? Thanks!

Thanks for the response to both of you, no I would not study for them both haha, I would plan to take the MCAT this coming march and get it out of the way and then hope to get into the program. Should I wait to apply until after the MCAT or apply now. Is there someone at the school who I should contact? Thanks!

Contact Jamie Murphy. He's super helpful!

Thank you! What is his position at the school? (So I know how to address him)

For my application I wrote ~550 words. I send in my application on 1/10 and they transferred over my MCAT from the DO application the same day however I am still waiting on my transcripts to be transferred..

My application is still "under review" and has been since the 10th.

I wonder if they actually do "have" my transcripts and are looking at the application..? I just dont understand why it is under review if they do not have the necessary items.

Congratulations on your acceptances!! I hope to be back on here soon with the same news!!

Did you guys have all of the materials sent in when the decision was made?

For my application I wrote ~550 words. I send in my application on 1/10 and they transferred over my MCAT from the DO application the same day however I am still waiting on my transcripts to be transferred..

I wonder if they actually do "have" my transcripts and are looking at the application..? I just dont understand why it is under review if they do not have the necessary items.

Congratulations on your acceptances!! I hope to be back on here soon with the same news!!

All of my materials were in when they reviewed me and they got back to me pretty quick. I'd call the admissions office and ask, they're very friendly. Good luck!

How long does he usually take to reply back? I emailed him a few days ago and still no response.

They've been pretty good about responding...maybe they're really overwhelmed with everything? Perhaps call them?

gluck!

Hey everyone,
I'm heading to LECOM in the fall. Anyone have any information regarding housing? Or does anyone know which areas of Erie to avoid? I'm from Pittsburgh, so Erie is going to be completely different. haha

Hi everyone,
I am planning on applying to this program this week and it sounds really great. What do you think my chances of getting in are?
3.5 cgpa
3.1 sgpa
taking the mcat in early june (i would like to take it sooner, but i am in a kaplan prep course that doesnt end until may 30th)
lots of patient care hours (im a CNA)

I would think your pretty competitive. They may want the MCAT score though. Im not sure.

Well.. I got an email from Jamie Murphy today which I do not really understand. Amy Rowe specifically said that they would transfer my transcripts from my DO application to my Post Bac application with no problems. Jamie today said that its not the case.

His email reads " We need only the transcript that reads "Degree awarded"." Does this mean I need to first get a degree THEN send him the transcript.. or what? I'm confused and I'd really not like to bug them anymore...

I also had a bad semester last semester.. I wonder if they would even notice if I left that out.... have other people been accepted without their Fall 2011 grades?

In the post bac application it states they only want one letter of recommendation from 1 science professor and they want it to include your social security number? All my letters have already been written and are in interfolio. Can anyone give some insight into this?

I called them today and they told me to just submit the app. They will read the AACOMAS app, and I guess the transcripts, personal statement and the LoR will be viewed from there? They also did not specify how many words they are looking for in their essay...
I am sooo stressed out... Urgh med schools! Anyways, good luck to you, I am applying there as well, hopefully it will be a good back up if med school does not work out this yr..

Hi;

Email that I received said that even though I applied to DO, they do not accept electronic letters of recommendations, however no mentioning about SSN,

Also they say that if I have any requirements not met, I have to send them proof first that I met them - well I am finishing Physics 2 and English 2 - is this means they will not go trough my file until May after they receive my transcripts?

Anybody have any clue?

Really confused on how and where to send my materials (CV/Mcat scores/letter of recs/ transcripts) since I never applied before. Do i just send everything to their address (put the mcat report and cv in envelope and mail it?)

They said they would roll everything over from my DO, BUT ONLY AFTER LECOM made a decision for my traditional DO route. Until they accept/deny my application will remain on file but no action will be taken.. Did you apply to LECOM DO?

Really confused on how and where to send my materials (CV/Mcat scores/letter of recs/ transcripts) since I never applied before. Do i just send everything to their address (put the mcat report and cv in envelope and mail it?)

For the mcat I believe you have to call the testing service and have them send the official scores to them, letters of rec are usually sent in by whoever wrote them, unless they are sealed and signed, and everything else I think is just online.

They said they would roll everything over from my DO, BUT ONLY AFTER LECOM made a decision for my traditional DO route. Until they accept/deny my application will remain on file but no action will be taken.. Did you apply to LECOM DO?

dang it, really? My apps are on hold because of my scigpa at every LECOM campus...so I guess I can't even apply if I wanted to till June...

For the mcat I believe you have to call the testing service and have them send the official scores to them, letters of rec are usually sent in by whoever wrote them, unless they are sealed and signed, and everything else I think is just online.

I just called today and they said I could just mail in my printed out score report as well as my CV in a separate package. I also ordered my interfolio package to be sent to them.