LECOM Post-bacc 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2.8 gpa, 26 mcat, loads of ec's and research

Members don't see this ad.

2.8 gpa, 26 mcat, loads of ec's and research

I'm sorry to hear that... and a little surprised too. You meet all the minimal requirements and that 26 MCAT is pretty solid. If you don't mind and it's not too person can you fill us in on the reasoning behind your rejection?

So all of my required documents have been sent in and my application is now under review.
For those of you who have heard back, how long did it take?

Members don't see this ad :)
So all of my required documents have been sent in and my application is now under review.
For those of you who have heard back, how long did it take?

From previous posts it seems like it can take anywhere from a week to a month for them to send an acceptance letter after all materials have been received. It's later in the cycle so I suppose you'll hear from them shortly. I hope to hear good news soon as well.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on applying for this program, but I had a quick question. As a post-bac program, does the program offer federal financial aid, or do we need to pay for the program with private loans?

Thank you,
Abi

20,500 in federal unsubsidized loans and another 10k in federal PLUS loans that should cover the cost of education+cost of living until the program ends next April.

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on applying for this program, but I had a quick question. As a post-bac program, does the program offer federal financial aid, or do we need to pay for the program with private loans?

Thank you,
Abi

If you're planning on applying this year you need to have everything turned in by August 1st!

Hey everybody,

I have a few questions about this program and any input would be really appreciated! First, I know submitting an application right now would be really last minute with the deadline being August 1st. Does anyone know if there's still a reasonable chance for acceptance this late in the game? I have a 3.30 cgpa and 3.25 sgpa with grade replacement, but if they don't use grade replacement then those are about 3.1 and 2.8. There's a pretty notable upward trend though, with about a 3.65 average in the past year taking a full load of science classes each semester and over the summer. I'm also expecting my MCAT scores back August 12th, and I'm confident I at least scored 25+.

But, I'm assuming the class is probably close to full at this point, so I'm a little doubtful that I would be competitive with these stats. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Also, would anyone that applied mind sharing their stats and whether or not you were accepted?

Hey everybody,

I have a few questions about this program and any input would be really appreciated! First, I know submitting an application right now would be really last minute with the deadline being August 1st. Does anyone know if there's still a reasonable chance for acceptance this late in the game? I have a 3.30 cgpa and 3.25 sgpa with grade replacement, but if they don't use grade replacement then those are about 3.1 and 2.8. There's a pretty notable upward trend though, with about a 3.65 average in the past year taking a full load of science classes each semester and over the summer. I'm also expecting my MCAT scores back August 12th, and I'm confident I at least scored 25+.

But, I'm assuming the class is probably close to full at this point, so I'm a little doubtful that I would be competitive with these stats. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

I don't think there is a defined class limit. However, you still have a shot if you can get all your materials in by August 1st. Give it a shot.

My application is in (submitted fairly late) and I'm currently awaiting a decision.

If you're planning on applying this year you need to have everything turned in by August 1st!

Hello!!
I'm applying late as well.. The LOR instruction sheet indicates that "All letters of recommendation must be received in the Office of Admissions by September 1st". So.. is this still true.. or?
Of course, the earlier, the better.. but I'm still waiting to hear back from some profs. Getting worried that I won't get a response by Aug 1st.

Thanks

The class is pretty big 110+ students with most people figuring out their housing situation/already moved in. I don't think there's a cap on # of students.

Hello!!
I'm applying late as well.. The LOR instruction sheet indicates that "All letters of recommendation must be received in the Office of Admissions by September 1st". So.. is this still true.. or?
Of course, the earlier, the better.. but I'm still waiting to hear back from some profs. Getting worried that I won't get a response by Aug 1st.

Thanks

You're right, I'm sorry. The application deadline is August 1 for classes that begin September 3. All letters of recommendation and transcripts must be received in the Office of Admissions by September 1, 2014.

I understand how waiting for a professor that take their sweet time with the LOR can be very frustrating. Maybe you could send them a friendly and stress-free reminder that your deadline is approaching. I had to do this with one of the doctors I shadowed and he was very understand and had simply forgot. I got the letter the next day.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I wish you the best of luck!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter today!!!!! I'm kind of scared to move to PA in only a month's time though! :soexcited::scared:

Last edited:
"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Hopefully hearing some good news soon.

Recently received my acceptance letter. Pretty late in the game but I'm pleased. Most likely attending this fall.

Recently received my acceptance letter. Pretty late in the game but I'm pleased. Most likely attending this fall.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats by any chance? And/or when your file was complete and how long it took for them to make a decision? I recently applied and would love to have a general idea of where I stand as an applicant!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats by any chance? And/or when your file was complete and how long it took for them to make a decision? I recently applied and would love to have a general idea of where I stand as an applicant!

I applied with ~3.5 GPA and 25 MCAT. Pretty strong EC's and volunteer work as well.

I had all my materials submitted in July. My admission status changed to "A decision has been made" about 3 days after all my materials were in. I received my acceptance letter 6 days later.

I assume you'll hear from them shortly as the semester will begin soon. I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Anyone looking for a roommate?

Got my acceptance letter today. I applied early July and had everything turned in by mid July. It took about 3 days for them to make the decision (according to LECOM portal) and 1-2 days to send the letter (according to the date on the letter). The letter arrived in 6 days. The letter says 'Postbac students are required to maintain a 3.0 grade point average in the Postbac program and achieve an minimum of 23 on the MCAT for acceptance to the D.O program.' However on the website it says 'The college will give consideration for interviews to successful Health Sciences candidates who meet all other admissions standards and requirements.' and
'Successful completion of the Health Sciences program does not guarantee admissions to the medical or pharmacy programs at LECOM.' I believe from the information provided as long as you are able to maintain 3.0 GPA and get 23 MCAT you have a shot at acceptance but nothing is guaranteed.
Don't sweat it, it's just CYA. I've quoted their admissions reps before regarding this topic and it was something to the effect of "You would have to show up [to the interview] drunk, wearing a sweatshirt, to blow your shot" (assuming you're a successful student).

I am looking for a roommate.

I'm currently in the process of working out living arrangements with another student. If things fall through I'll contact you ASAP.

Did Lecom remove their 3.0 GPA in the Post Bacc for the guaranteed interview?

I am unable to find it on their website

Can anyone comment on how difficult it is to just get into he post-bac program itself? I have a 23 MCAT, 3.5 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA.

Did Lecom remove their 3.0 GPA in the Post Bacc for the guaranteed interview?

I am unable to find it on their website

You are guaranteed an interview after the Fall semester as long as you did not fail any course and as long as it is mathematically possible for you to obtain a 3.0 in the program including spring semester grades. So you could still be interviewed with like a 2.x since you could technically finish the program with greater than a 3.0 depending on your spring semester grades.

Can anyone comment on how difficult it is to just get into he post-bac program itself? I have a 23 MCAT, 3.5 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA.

You should be just fine.

I'm also applying to this post-bacc program and have pretty much finished my application except for minor tweaks to my essay. I'm also applying to some other post-baccs, but the LECOM program is my first choice. I got a 25 (9-PS, 8-VR, 8-BS) on my MCAT, my sGPA is 3.13 and cGPA is 3.48. I am retaking my MCAT in 2 weeks and hope to increase my score by at least 2-4 points. I know my GPA and MCAT aren't super competitive, but I've also been working as an ER scribe for the past year, have done A LOT of hours of shadowing, and also did research for the first 3 semesters of undergrad...as well as some other decent ECs that might help. My question is, do I actually have a chance of getting into this school?

I'm also applying to this post-bacc program and have pretty much finished my application except for minor tweaks to my essay. I'm also applying to some other post-baccs, but the LECOM program is my first choice. I got a 25 (9-PS, 8-VR, 8-BS) on my MCAT, my sGPA is 3.13 and cGPA is 3.48. I am retaking my MCAT in 2 weeks and hope to increase my score by at least 2-4 points. I know my GPA and MCAT aren't super competitive, but I've also been working as an ER scribe for the past year, have done A LOT of hours of shadowing, and also did research for the first 3 semesters of undergrad...as well as some other decent ECs that might help. My question is, do I actually have a chance of getting into this school?

You pretty much have the exact same stats as I did coming out of undergrad and I got in. I applied around this time and knew I was coming here by next month I believe.

For anyone that is currently in the post-bac program, what's your overall feelings about the program? I already applied and think I have a good shot at being accepted. But I've heard that the criteria for being accepted to the med school is hard to fulfill, i.e., some of the classes are really hard. I'd hate to spend the money attending this program if I wasn't able to matriculate the following year.

What's the stress level? Is the work load doable? Are the professors good? Are people struggling to make the criteria?

I think the program is good so far. However, we still have 7 more weeks to go so my feelings might change by then ;). We interviewed in late January and people above a certain Fall GPA threshold (3.6?) have already been conditionally accepted to LECOM. The promise from LECOM is: 23MCAT, 3.0 in the program, decent interview, don't fail any class = acceptance once the program ends in mid April. My interview was on 1/27 and I got my acceptance letter 10 days later.

The time commitment is low, we are only in class for 2-3 hours a day (2-5 pm Mon-Fri) and the rest of the time can be used for studying.

Stress level? Can be quite high if LECOM is the only school you are applying to :) cause the stake is high. But if you did well in the Fall semester, there's really nothing to worry about.

Workload: As I mentioned above, the time commitment is low. We are only in class from 2-5pm weekdays so we have the rest of the day to study (8am-1pm, 6-10pm). The material for certain classes are quite challenging but if you put in the time, B is easily obtainable.

Most of the professors are good and very approachable, all of them want to help you and see you succeed in the program.

Are people struggling to make the criteria? I have no idea. We lost quite a few people after the first semester (15? out of the original 116) I think to either Biochemistry or Physiology. Those 2 are the 2 biggies in the Fall that people have troubles with.

Overall, I think the program is good. I have learned a ton in these past few months and I feel like I will be well prepared for the 1st year at LECOM. My advice to you is that once the program starts in September, you give it your all. Physiology (5 credit course) spans the 1st 5 weeks of the Fall semester and you need to knock it out of the park. You want a high GPA in the Fall to secure an early acceptance. Don't be a social outcast :) but don't get caught up in the social nonsense either, keep your eyes on the prize and remember why you are doing the program in the first place. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think the program is good so far. However, we still have 7 more weeks to go so my feelings might change by then ;). We interviewed in late January and people above a certain Fall GPA threshold (3.6?) have already been conditionally accepted to LECOM. The promise from LECOM is: 23MCAT, 3.0 in the program, decent interview, don't fail any class = acceptance once the program ends in mid April. My interview was on 1/27 and I got my acceptance letter 10 days later.

The time commitment is low, we are only in class for 2-3 hours a day (2-5 pm Mon-Fri) and the rest of the time can be used for studying.

Stress level? Can be quite high if LECOM is the only school you are applying to :) cause the stake is high. But if you did well in the Fall semester, there's really nothing to worry about.

Workload: As I mentioned above, the time commitment is low. We are only in class from 2-5pm weekdays so we have the rest of the day to study (8am-1pm, 6-10pm). The material for certain classes are quite challenging but if you put in the time, B is easily obtainable.

Most of the professors are good and very approachable, all of them want to help you and see you succeed in the program.

Are people struggling to make the criteria? I have no idea. We lost quite a few people after the first semester (15? out of the original 116) I think to either Biochemistry or Physiology. Those 2 are the 2 biggies in the Fall that people have troubles with.

Overall, I think the program is good. I have learned a ton in these past few months and I feel like I will be well prepared for the 1st year at LECOM. My advice to you is that once the program starts in September, you give it your all. Physiology (5 credit course) spans the 1st 5 weeks of the Fall semester and you need to knock it out of the park. You want a high GPA in the Fall to secure an early acceptance. Don't be a social outcast :) but don't get caught up in the social nonsense either, keep your eyes on the prize and remember why you are doing the program in the first place. Good luck!

awesome, thanks a lot for all the info!

I knew people that got accepted the week before class started! You're real early actually. If people are starting to get accepted I would suggest making a facebook page so then people can look at one place for looking for roommates. That is how I met mine. Its just easier going to one place then constantly checking on here, especially when you really don't know who people are on here...

Hi @World's Tallest Doctor

I was wondering if you could answer a question for me? I know that the application requires only one letter of recommendation (from a science professor). But I also sent in others to strengthen my application. Do you know if LECOM looks at multiple LoR or just the one they require?

Thanks for your help.

Hi @World's Tallest Doctor

I was wondering if you could answer a question for me? I know that the application requires only one letter of recommendation (from a science professor). But I also sent in others to strengthen my application. Do you know if LECOM looks at multiple LoR or just the one they require?

Thanks for your help.

I am not really sure about the admissions and how that works. But I am pretty sure they would just look at the one as they only require the one. They probably have a ton of letters to look through so they will probably only want to look at the one.

I am not really sure about the admissions and how that works. But I am pretty sure they would just look at the one as they only require the one. They probably have a ton of letters to look through so they will probably only want to look at the one.
Dang it! Thanks for your reply.

Hi Everyone,

From previous posts, it seems like many of the postbacs had interviews for admissions into LECOM as a MS1 in January. Do any of you know if anyone was accepted into the Bradenton campus? If so, do you know what their stats were in the program and if their previous stats (MCAT, undergrad GPA, etc.) mattered in their acceptance to Bradenton?

Thanks so much!

Hi Everyone,

From previous posts, it seems like many of the postbacs had interviews for admissions into LECOM as a MS1 in January. Do any of you know if anyone was accepted into the Bradenton campus? If so, do you know what their stats were in the program and if their previous stats (MCAT, undergrad GPA, etc.) mattered in their acceptance to Bradenton?

Thanks so much!

I am in the post-bacc now. Haven't really heard if anyone has been accepted at Bradenton, everyone seems to be being accepted into Erie campus.

I am in the post-bacc now. Haven't really heard if anyone has been accepted at Bradenton, everyone seems to be being accepted into Erie campus.
Oh okay. I'm really hoping I get into this post bacc. My ideal branch is Bradenton, and I've heard a few different people say they take about 5-10 people from the post bacc class each year. I figured you'd probably have to be top of the class to get into Bradenton, but some have said that many people prefer Erie over Bradenton. Wasn't sure if that's true or not

Oh okay. I'm really hoping I get into this post bacc. My ideal branch is Bradenton, and I've heard a few different people say they take about 5-10 people from the post bacc class each year. I figured you'd probably have to be top of the class to get into Bradenton, but some have said that many people prefer Erie over Bradenton. Wasn't sure if that's true or not

How you do in the program does not have bearing on going to Bradenton or not. I was under the impression that you had to have some sort of Florida connection to be placed there, but that did not turn out to be true. If you want to go to Bradenton, indicate that prior to the interview.

Hey! I am taking my MCAT on June 20th so my application will not be complete until end of July. What was your class size? I see that a lot of people have been accepted for the 2015-2016 academic year already. My cGPA is 2.9 and my science GPA is 2.8. My stats seem too low to be accepted so late into the program.

Hey! I am taking my MCAT on June 20th so my application will not be complete until end of July. What was your class size? I see that a lot of people have been accepted for the 2015-2016 academic year already. My cGPA is 2.9 and my science GPA is 2.8. My stats seem too low to be accepted so late into the program.
I think my class had around 120 something students at the beginning of the year. The class size is different from year to year and seems to on the increasing trend. I would just focus on doing well on the MCAT at this point, one thing at a time. A great MCAT score will carry a lot of weight. During my year, I have heard of people getting their acceptances the week before the program start date, which is in late August.

I think my class had around 120 something students at the beginning of the year. The class size is different from year to year and seems to on the increasing trend. I would just focus on doing well on the MCAT at this point, one thing at a time. A great MCAT score will carry a lot of weight. During my year, I have heard of people getting their acceptances the week before the program start date, which is in late August.
Thank you!!! Trying to focus hard for the next month to do well.

just curious. How is the science gpa calculated for admission to lecom's post bacc program...? Do they use AACOMAS' science gpa classification or they just look at B/C/P or the prerequisites..?

this is sooo late but is it too late to apply with decent chance?

also do you think the mcat requirement 23 is going to go up ?

just apply and see, it's not past deadline yet and it's not like you have anything to lose except an application fee.

Does anyone know if the acceptance/rejection process for LECOM post bac is via email or postal?