LECOM Post-bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I applied to this program a few months ago (super early) but apps won't be looked at until the beginning of the year (2015). I was rejected by LMUCOM's one year masters program. I was however accepted to Mississippi College's special masters program. I think it will be a good program because most of their classes are 4 credit hours or more; they will definitely allow me to prove myself.

For those of you who are curious, students who will be using the new MCAT for the guaranteed admissions into LECOM, your score must be at least in the 40th percentile overall. If you will be using the current MCAT, a 23 is required. Info from Mr. Murphy.

Good luck to everyone, I hope we can all be classmates next year, knock on wood.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I plan on applying as well! Just going to take me longer than expected due to filling out my AACOMAS app
Good luck to you as well!
Im also applying to VCOM post bacc

Hey I plan on applying as well! Just going to take me longer than expected due to filling out my AACOMAS app
Good luck to you as well!
Im also applying to VCOM post bacc
I actually applied to this program too, but their requirements for admissions into their medical school are quite high.
"GPA: Earn a cumulative 3.6 GPA or higher in the Fall semester and maintain a cumulative 3.6 GPA in the Spring semester, with no individual course grade lower than a “B” within the program." (From VCOM website). Have you talked with anyone about how hard it is to get and maintain such a high GPA?

I would rather go to LECOM just because it seems they have more realistic admissions standards to get into their medical school. But if you can do well in VCOM's program you will definitely kill their medical school classes.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I also plan to apply to the LECOM post-bacc in January, I recently found out about it and really hope I have a chance.
Goodluck All

Hey guys, I am interested in applying to this program. However I am wondering does admission look at the breakdowns of MCAT scores? Do they only look the overall MCAT scores or have cut offs for each sections? Say I have MCAT scores of 10/5/11, do they offer a conditional admissions if I finish this program with a 3.0 GPA?

Hey guys, I am interested in applying to this program. However I am wondering does admission look at the breakdowns of MCAT scores? Do they only look the overall MCAT scores or have cut offs for each sections? Say I have MCAT scores of 10/5/11, do they offer a conditional admissions if I finish this program with a 3.0 GPA?
As far as I know it is based on your overall score. When I asked Mr. Murphy about the new MCAT he said it was a 40th percentile overall no matter if there was a section where you scored below a 40th percentile. So I assume that is the case with the current MCAT.

If you complete the program with a 3.0 and have a current MCAT of a 23 or better you will receive gain admissions into their DO program. However, they do reserve the right to deny you if you bomb the interview or cause trouble while in the program.

As far as I know it is based on your overall score. When I asked Mr. Murphy about the new MCAT he said it was a 40th percentile overall no matter if there was a section where you scored below a 40th percentile. So I assume that is the case with the current MCAT.

If you complete the program with a 3.0 and have a current MCAT of a 23 or better you will receive gain admissions into their DO program. However, they do reserve the right to deny you if you bomb the interview or cause trouble while in the program.

So basically anyone who gets a 3.0 and 23 MCAT will get a guarantee interview not a guarantee acceptance..am I correct?

Technically it is an interview. But based on people I've talked to and emails I've sent to admissions, only 1 or 2 who get interviewed don't get accepted. Someone posted on a pervious thread exactly what the acceptance letter said. If I remember correctly it said, "acceptance into the DO program" not simply an interview.

:cool:
I actually applied to this program too, but their requirements for admissions into their medical school are quite high.
"GPA: Earn a cumulative 3.6 GPA or higher in the Fall semester and maintain a cumulative 3.6 GPA in the Spring semester, with no individual course grade lower than a “B” within the program." (From VCOM website). Have you talked with anyone about how hard it is to get and maintain such a high GPA?

I would rather go to LECOM just because it seems they have more realistic admissions standards to get into their medical school. But if you can do well in VCOM's program you will definitely kill their medical school classes.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Well I have messaged several people in the program and they make it seem like the classes are very "do-able." They even have reviews before the test. I am a biology major and have taken all the classes( exept biochem and their ethics classes) in the program so I hope that with hard work I can get that 3.6. Plus I want to apply to a DO school in my home state so getting a low gpa in a post bacc (3.5 and below) is not an option.
I feel like it is all a matter of mind set. If you go into a program thinking a 3.6 is unreachable you won't be able to do it.

I just hope I get accepted to one. I have no particular preference lol I just wanna be a Doctor

Hi All,

I applied to this program a few months ago (super early) but apps won't be looked at until the beginning of the year (2015). I was rejected by LMUCOM's one year masters program. I was however accepted to Mississippi College's special masters program. I think it will be a good program because most of their classes are 4 credit hours or more; they will definitely allow me to prove myself.

For those of you who are curious, students who will be using the new MCAT for the guaranteed admissions into LECOM, your score must be at least in the 40th percentile overall. If you will be using the current MCAT, a 23 is required. Info from Mr. Murphy.

Good luck to everyone, I hope we can all be classmates next year, knock on wood.

A few months ago?? I was checking for the application and I didn't see so I thought app wasn't open yet.

I applied to Mississippi college as well but haven't completed it. I think I'd rather live in lake Erie than the south.

I applied to Mississippi college as well but haven't completed it. I think I'd rather live in lake Erie than the south.
I'm from the South so it won't be a problem for me. But I would rather go to LECOM too because they have guaranteed acceptance into their DO program if you meet certain requirements.

Hey,

I'm interested in the fall 2015 post-bacc as well. I contacted the admissions adviser who said people (like me) who will apply with the 2015 MCAT will still have time to submit because the application is due in August 2015. (Really long application period!) Just an FYI in case this helps anyone else.

Also, the 23 MCAT/3.0 GPA I was told is only an interview guarantee. Is there an additional standard that grants you automatic acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone doesn't know. If you submit your AACOMAS application to the school first then they will look at your science gpa that aacomas calculates with grade replacement. If you apply directly to the program first they will not look at your gpa with replacement.
Best of luck to everyone

Just got my MCAT scores back going to be applying with a 27(8 PS/ 11-VR/8/BS)

Hi,

I'm also applying to this post-bacc program and have pretty much finished my application except for minor tweaks to my essay. I'm also applying to some other post-baccs, but the LECOM program is my first choice. I got a 25 (9-PS, 8-VR, 8-BS) on my MCAT, my sGPA is 3.13 and cGPA is 3.48. I am retaking my MCAT in 2 weeks and hope to increase my score by at least 2-4 points. I know my GPA and MCAT aren't competitive, but I've also been working as an ER scribe for the past year, have done A LOT of hours of shadowing, and also did research for the first 3 semesters of undergrad...as well as some other decent ECs that might help. My question is, do I actually have a chance of getting into this school?

Hi,

I'm also applying to this post-bacc program and have pretty much finished my application except for minor tweaks to my essay. I'm also applying to some other post-baccs, but the LECOM program is my first choice. I got a 25 (9-PS, 8-VR, 8-BS) on my MCAT, my sGPA is 3.13 and cGPA is 3.48. I am retaking my MCAT in 2 weeks and hope to increase my score by at least 2-4 points. I know my GPA and MCAT aren't competitive, but I've also been working as an ER scribe for the past year, have done A LOT of hours of shadowing, and also did research for the first 3 semesters of undergrad...as well as some other decent ECs that might help. My question is, do I actually have a chance of getting into this school?
This is copy and pasted from a post from 2012-2013
Dr. James K. Moore
Director of Recruitment
LECOM
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
1858 West Grandview Boulevard
Erie, PA 16509-1025
814-860-5160
814-504-6427
[email protected]

I spoke with him last year about post bac and the medical school and he said for post bac, a competitive GPA would be ~3.2 and 25 MCAT. Of course, they take students that have lower and higher numbers than that. This is the text of an e-mail that he sent to me last year:

"Hi Daryl,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, it will probably be most helpful to give you the averages of the latest incoming class and you can gauge your attractiveness as a candidate from there. The average GPA / MCAT score of our latest incoming class was 3.4-5 / 27 respectively (for the post bac program, the averages were 3.0-2 / 25). Keep in mind these are averages, and that there were many students above and below these numbers who were accepted. Because we are an Osteopathic School, we tend to give more weight to things like extracurricular activities, volunteering, shadowing, etc. Your age will not be a factor. All the information in your application will be taken into account when it is reviewed for a possible interview invitation.

I hope this has helped; let me know if you have further questions.
So looks to me like you are already competitive! Goodluck!
BTW I am currently an ER scribe too! I am at work right now lol!

Does anyone know how lecom is handling those who need to take the 2015 MCAT? I will ask but curious if anyone has some information already.

Does anyone know how lecom is handling those who need to take the 2015 MCAT? I will ask but curious if anyone has some information already.
No, but I would email Jamie Murphy he is normally very quick to reply to any questions

Answer is in the first post.

So I applied to this program in September or October (I can't remember now), Mr. Murphy said that applications would be looked at starting in late December. I'm so tired of this whole application process, be it medical school, SMP, or Post-Bacc. I've applied to all 3, was accepted to a SMP, Mississippi College.

I check my application status on LECOM's website and it says everything has been received so I'm just waiting to see it say a decision has been made.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
That's only in regards to guaranteed med school matriculation not applying to the post bacc itself.
I misunderstood your question. I think in regards to the MCAT that there is no minimum (unless I'm reading their website wrong). A 23 for the current and 40% overall for the new one is required for the "guaranteed admissions" into LECOM.

This is copy and pasted from a post from 2012-2013
Dr. James K. Moore
Director of Recruitment
LECOM
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
1858 West Grandview Boulevard
Erie, PA 16509-1025
814-860-5160
814-504-6427
[email protected]

I spoke with him last year about post bac and the medical school and he said for post bac, a competitive GPA would be ~3.2 and 25 MCAT. Of course, they take students that have lower and higher numbers than that. This is the text of an e-mail that he sent to me last year:

"Hi Daryl,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, it will probably be most helpful to give you the averages of the latest incoming class and you can gauge your attractiveness as a candidate from there. The average GPA / MCAT score of our latest incoming class was 3.4-5 / 27 respectively (for the post bac program, the averages were 3.0-2 / 25). Keep in mind these are averages, and that there were many students above and below these numbers who were accepted. Because we are an Osteopathic School, we tend to give more weight to things like extracurricular activities, volunteering, shadowing, etc. Your age will not be a factor. All the information in your application will be taken into account when it is reviewed for a possible interview invitation.

I hope this has helped; let me know if you have further questions.
So looks to me like you are already competitive! Goodluck!
BTW I am currently an ER scribe too! I am at work right now lol!

Thank you for this! Your post does raise my hopes quite a bit. I'm at work right now too! haha. But I'll give the office a call on Monday and talk to them myself. Thanks!

Hi All,

Hey have you heard back yet?

Hey guys whats the name of this program? I am looking on the LECOM website but cant find a one year program that sounds like what you guys are talking about. Can someone post a link? Also is it a one year post-bacc with a guarenteed acceptance to LECOM if you maintain a certain gpa/MCAT?

Hey have you heard back yet?
So yesterday LECOM changed my admissions status from "application received" to "application under review". I hope to get an answer soon. Have you sent in your application yet? Congratulations on your MCAT, you shouldn't have a problem getting into this program.

Has anyone tried to email Mr. Murphy? I've been emailing him and he has not replied yet? It's been over a month. Is there anyone else I could talk to at LECOM in regards to my Post-Bacc application?

my application status changed to "under review" today, anyone know how much longer it will take to get a decision?

my application status changed to "under review" today, anyone know how much longer it will take to get a decision?
My status has said "under review" since the 15th. I hope it won't be long before we find out something.

I'm thinking of applying here just to have a guaranteed med school spot for 2016. The most recent match list from Bradenton impressed me. Does anyone know if it's harder to secure a seat there than the other 2 campuses? I love that area and PBL but I'm not really interested in the other 2 branches.

I'm thinking of applying here just to have a guaranteed med school spot for 2016. The most recent match list from Bradenton impressed me. Does anyone know if it's harder to secure a seat there than the other 2 campuses? I love that area and PBL but I'm not really interested in the other 2 branches.
I've read in previous years' threads that students from the post baccalaureate program have been able to go to a different campus for medical school. However, I do believe it was because there were not enough seats at the Erie Campus for them. If you call the school to find out could you please post their answer? I too would like to know this.

I've read in previous years' threads that students from the post baccalaureate program have been able to go to a different campus for medical school. However, I do believe it was because there were not enough seats at the Erie Campus for them. If you call the school to find out could you please post their answer? I too would like to know this.

Just got this response back today.

[zero0],

Yes, you can choose which campus you would like to attend during your interview. The Bradenton campus may take only 5-6 students, so it is based on competitiveness.

Jamie Murphy (Mr.)

So yeah, better take care of business.

Just got this response back today.

[zero0],

Yes, you can choose which campus you would like to attend during your interview. The Bradenton campus may take only 5-6 students, so it is based on competitiveness.

Jamie Murphy (Mr.)

So yeah, better take care of business.
Thanks for the response! I would love to go to Florida just for the weather.

Thanks for the response! I would love to go to Florida just for the weather.
Same here I HATE cold weather with a passion. I am from the midwest now so hopefully its not to much of a weather transition if I go to this school

Same here I HATE cold weather with a passion. I am from the midwest now so hopefully its not to much of a weather transition if I go to this school
Where you been!? Any news yet?

Has anyone been accepted into the program yet? My status has said "application under review for a couple weeks now."

Same here. Changed to that on January 15.

Yeah same. And my folder items still list my science professor letter as being "not received" yet, even though Jamie told me they have the letter. I guess they're just really behind.

Yeah same. And my folder items still list my science professor letter as being "not received" yet, even though Jamie told me they have the letter. I guess they're just really behind.
Same thing is happening to me lol

Hello all. This is my first post so bear with me. I applied early January, and my status changed today from "under review" to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Maybe it's the same thing with you guys.

Last edited:
Hello all. This is my first post so bear with me. I applied early January, and my status changed today from "under review" to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Maybe it's the same thing with you guys.
My status still says "under review". But good luck to you! I hope you get in! Oh the road to medical school is long; may this get you closer to completing your journey.

Same here. My status just changed to that today.

My status just changed too. Gosh I hope I get in!!!! Guess I'll know within 30 days.

Does anybody know if the acceptance letter is just a letter or a packet?

Hi,

I am in the process of applying to post bacc programs so I can enhance my chances for medical school because my stats simply suck. I posted my stats below so if anyone can chance me for LECOM, I'd really appreciate it.

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97
Mcat- 19 (I know I will have to retake the new mcat if I want a seat for their med school)

Also does anyone know if LECOM uses grade replacement to calculate GPA or average of all the grades like AMCAS. Thank you.

Hi,

I am in the process of applying to post bacc programs so I can enhance my chances for medical school because my stats simply suck. I posted my stats below so if anyone can chance me for LECOM, I'd really appreciate it.

cGPA- 3.1
sGPA- 2.97
Mcat- 19 (I know I will have to retake the new mcat if I want a seat for their med school)

Also does anyone know if LECOM uses grade replacement to calculate GPA or average of all the grades like AMCAS. Thank you.
I'd say go ahead and apply. In regards to your question about GPA calculation, according to a previous post in this thread LECOM will use the GPA AACOMAS came up with. If you didn't previously apply to medical school LECOM will calculate gpa like AMCAS. But I would call them just to make sure.

BTW we have the same gpa's but my mcat is a few points higher. This program is for people like you and I. If I were you I would apply.

Where you been!? Any news yet?
Heyy still waiting with the rest of yall !:) I have been waiting for my Aacomas to be verified before i apply. I just got my letter turned in! I am confident about getting in.

Does anyone know if there is an interview?