LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In general, is a quick decision usually a favorable decision? My status changed to "A decision has been made...." about 2 weeks after I was complete. Letter on its way

After all my materials were received my application changed after like 4 days of review and I was accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all!
I will be submitting everything this week, am I too late?
Mr. Murphy emailed me saying there was no cap on the postbacc but applying late in the cycle could be more challenging...is this time period considered late or more around June/July?

Thanks!

Last edited:
For those accepted, How many recommendation letters did you all submit? Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!
I will be submitting everything this week, am I too late?
Mr. Murphy emailed me saying there was no cap on the postbacc but applying late in the cycle could be more challenging...is this time period considered late or more around June/July?

Thanks!
Based on previous years threads I'd say we are nearing the end of the "middle" applicant period and "late" applications start Jun-jul

I submitted my application last January and it took 2 months for me to get an acceptance. As they start to look at more applications, the turnaround gets a lot faster so it's not really indicative of an acceptance or a rejection. But good luck to everyone still waiting.

For those accepted, How many recommendation letters did you all submit? Thanks

I only gave 1 letter. When you guys apply to AACOMAS during the school year, you'll need at least 2 (unless you already did that already, then you're fine)

Last edited:
So I uploaded our schedule for fall and spring. Obviously there will be changes for you guys throughout the course as there were for us. However, I'm hoping this will give you all the general layout of how the classes were organized throughout the year.

Directed Study means you do the material on your own time and EXCEL is an optional session in case anyone looks at the schedule and asks.

Attachments

• Post Bacc Fall 2015 Schedule.pdf
    301.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Post Bacc Spring 2016 Schedule.pdf
    305.5 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: 8 users
So I uploaded our schedule for fall and spring. Obviously there will be changes for you guys throughout the course as there were for us. However, I'm hoping this will give you all the general layout of how the classes were organized throughout the year.

Directed Study means you do the material on your own time and EXCEL is an optional session in case anyone looks at the schedule and asks.
You are the real mvp

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I forgot to ask...

For those starting the program this fall, would those accepted to their DO program start next year Fall 2017 or fall 2018?

Reactions: 1 user

Dang thanks!!!!!

I forgot to ask...

For those starting the program this fall, would those accepted to their DO program start next year Fall 2017 or fall 2018?

You'd start fall 2017. There's no gap year which is nice haha

Hi everyone! Just wanted to chime in and add onto the great advice Motivated1234 has been giving you. The post Bacc program is challenging but definitely manageable with the right mindset. Second semester was definitely a lot more challenging but nothing was impossible. I know there has been a lot of talk about pharmacology but with the right study ethic and dedication it is possible to do well in pharmacology. I received an A in pharm and I know other people who also got an A in pharm so it is not impossible. It is important to dedicate yourself to the program and surround yourself with students who are also committed to doing well in the program. There were definitely people in the program who were too confident about their conditional acceptance and started to slack off second semester and their grades reflected that. There were also some classmates who came into the program too confident and cocky about the guaranteed acceptance and ended up not making the 3.0 cutoff. Come into this program prepared to work hard and make it your life and you will succeed. The post Bacc program prepares you well for medical school and if you do well in the post Bacc you are going into med school with a head start compared to everyone who didn't do the post Bacc. If anyone has questions please feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter today. It was mailed April 20th.

Got my acceptance letter today. It was mailed April 20th.
Would you be able to tell us when your status changed on the portal from "under review" to "decision made"? Was it also the 20th?
Thanks, I'm getting stomach pains from this wait lol

Word to the wise, don't mess around during this year. Whatever other people say about you doing a "post-bacc," don't believe them and just get your **** done. Put in the time and focus. It's not a joke/easy course.

Would you be able to tell us when your status changed on the portal from "under review" to "decision made"? Was it also the 20th?
Thanks, I'm getting stomach pains from this wait lol
It was around the 20th of April that my status was changed to "decision made."

Has anybody on here who's already been accepted received the roommate list yet? Just wondering cuz im already getting ahead of myself and worrying about finding roommates :)

Has anybody on here who's already been accepted received the roommate list yet? Just wondering cuz im already getting ahead of myself and worrying about finding roommates :)
Yes! The last updated one we received was probably about two weeks ago? So if you were accepted after that, you'll probably get the next round. :)

Is it weird to call and ask? My decision was made on Friday. I haven't received the letter yet but I've been taking an anatomy class at a CC, got a research invitation that I need to accept or decline, and a job offer that I need to decide on. I'm also studying to retake the MCAT so... Have you guys called Mr. Murphy and asked for you decision on the phone?

Is it weird to call and ask? My decision was made on Friday. I haven't received the letter yet but I've been taking an anatomy class at a CC, got a research invitation that I need to accept or decline, and a job offer that I need to decide on. I'm also studying to retake the MCAT so... Have you guys called Mr. Murphy and asked for you decision on the phone?

If you get in will you just base your lecom DO school acceptance off of your AIS score instead of retaking your MCAT?

I believe someone has already tried calling to ask about their status and the answer was no, they will not tell you your decision over the phone. Someone else chime in though, just in case I'm mistaken haha. What's your earliest decision deadline for the job/research?

Even if someone already called and asked, it wouldn't hurt for you to do the same, wiz.

oh okay haha do they send out updated ones every couple of weeks?
Yeah, I think they send them out whenever there's enough new acceptances. I've been decided on the program since like, February but we've only received one update since the original so far.

Hey guys, I'm kind of bummed out that I'm applying to this program this late. By late I mean I can't actually apply till next week. I have finals this week so ideally I won't have time to finish my essay for the program.

Question for everyone here, do I still have a chance to apply and get in?

Thanks for all your help.

You are totally fine! I know people who applied over the summer and even as late as the week before the program started.

Hey all, can we submit transcripts and recommendation letters directly to Mr. Murphy's email address or send them to another email address at LECOM? Thanks!

Here goes nothing...application submitted!

For those currently in the program and who have completed the program..

1) What study habits do you recommend while in the program?
2) How many hours a day do or did you study?
3) What is the best way to split up the studying among the different subjects?
4) How many minutes or hours did you have for yourself on a daily basis to destress?

Thank you.

I believe someone has already tried calling to ask about their status and the answer was no, they will not tell you your decision over the phone. Someone else chime in though, just in case I'm mistaken haha. What's your earliest decision deadline for the job/research?

It's mainly my mcat that I don't want to be studying for. I compressed the heck out of content review so I would be able to have a solid month of practice.

The thing about the job is that it's a scribe job (so low pay bad hours) and I'd rather do a valet gig for a few months and make twice the amount haha since I won't need to get more experience (I worked as a scribe before already). The research thing is a min 6 month commitment so I'd rather start sooner than later (or get into the post bac and not start at all)

Thanks!
Even if someone already called and asked, it wouldn't hurt for you to do the same, wiz.

I'll probably try tomorrow, anytime time I've called Mr. Murphy it just goes to his voice mail. I think my letter should come in later this week so it shouldn't be too long.
Hey all, can we submit transcripts and recommendation letters directly to Mr. Murphy's email address or send them to another email address at LECOM? Thanks!
You send it to Mr Murphy!

It's mainly my mcat that I don't want to be studying for. I compressed the heck out of content review so I would be able to have a solid month of practice.

The thing about the job is that it's a scribe job (so low pay bad hours) and I'd rather do a valet gig for a few months and make twice the amount haha since I won't need to get more experience (I worked as a scribe before already). The research thing is a min 6 month commitment so I'd rather start sooner than later (or get into the post bac and not start at all)

Thanks!

I'll probably try tomorrow, anytime time I've called Mr. Murphy it just goes to his voice mail. I think my letter should come in later this week so it shouldn't be too long.

You send it to Mr Murphy!
Thank you!

And best of luck, hope you receive good news this week!

Silly question from a southerner here, do you guys recommend getting all-season tires or snow tires and switch them out in the winter in Erie? I drive a 2009 honda accord

Silly question from a southerner here, do you guys recommend getting all-season tires or snow tires and switch them out in the winter in Erie? I drive a 2009 honda accord

I'm from California and I was fine with all season tires, but i had bought brand new tires before coming to Erie. I would go with the snow tires if I were you since snow gets bad in Erie. In the end though, snow tires are only a supplement for safe driving and it really depends on how good you are/how safe you are.

Reactions: 2 users
If you get in will you just base your lecom DO school acceptance off of your AIS score instead of retaking your MCAT?
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I don't really get the whole AIS thing, but mine is 119 - but it didn't look at my mcat score for that

EDIT: Seriously miscalculated my AIS

Last edited:
For those currently in the program and who have completed the program..

1) What study habits do you recommend while in the program?
2) How many hours a day do or did you study?
3) What is the best way to split up the studying among the different subjects?
4) How many minutes or hours did you have for yourself on a daily basis to destress?

Thank you.

1) good study habits haha. In all seriousness though, study smart instead of studying hard. So many of my classmates studied their asses off but still struggled. We did this thing in critical thinking where we determined what types of study style worked best. Some people were visual learners while others were auditory. Cater your studying to those types of things and you should be fine. For me, I was tactile so I would write a lot of things multiple times until I recalled the information. I would also draw out diagrams and make charts.

2) I tried to study 2 hours before class. I never previewed though because that didn't work for me. I would then try to study 1 or two hours after class and finish by 12:30 or 1 am. On weekends and before tests, I'd do at least 10-12 hours and that includes all the subjects. If you study consistently, you'll find that it gets easier over time and you won't have to cram. You'll also be able to skim through the material and retain more.

3) I split it up based on what I was struggling in. The hardest subjects would be tackled first while I would go over the easiest subjects last. I made a schedule of what I wanted to finish throughout the week.

4) i found that I needed to make time to relax because I always felt like I didn't study enough. After a test, I'd completely shut my brain off and just relax with my classmates and we would go out. I also wouldn't study until I got my test scores back, but I don't recommend that part haha.

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I don't really get the whole AIS thing, but mine is 119 - but it didn't look at my mcat score for that

EDIT: Seriously miscalculated my AIS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your ais score is high enough and your mcat score doesn't meet the minimum for the DO school (greater than or equal to 23), then LECOM would go with your ais score. Of course that only works if you meet the minimum 3.0 and your interview goes well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your ais score is high enough and your mcat score doesn't meet the minimum for the DO school (greater than or equal to 23), then LECOM would go with your ais score. Of course that only works if you meet the minimum 3.0 and your interview goes well.

Thank you for clearing that up! My MCAT is high enough. I am studying to retake my MCAT though because I know I can do better than my current score (plus a little chip on my shoulder)

I'm really having trouble finding a clear answer about this. Based on what I've read, this is what I've concluded:

If I apply to the program directly, then they won't use the grade replacement policy AACOMAS uses.

But if I apply to the LECOM through AACOMAS and then apply to their program after that, then they will use my AACOMAS gpa.

Is this correct?

I would really appreciate it if someone could please clarify this.

I'm really having trouble finding a clear answer about this. Based on what I've read, this is what I've concluded:

If I apply to the program directly, then they won't use the grade replacement policy AACOMAS uses.

But if I apply to the LECOM through AACOMAS and then apply to their program after that, then they will use my AACOMAS gpa.

Is this correct?

I would email Mr. Murphy directly. He is pretty hard to get in touch with by phone, but he replies to emails within the business day.

I think you are correct though.

Is this correct?

Per Mr. Murphy, you still have to apply to LECOM DO program through AACOMAS this summer even if you are accepted to the post-bac program for this coming term. Not sure about the grade replacement thing though.

Yeah you're right. Also, there is an option to apply directly to the DO program using just your AIS score so I'm assuming deff applying as a current post-bac student they would give you that option too.

Ok but postbaccalaureate undergraduate coursework taken definitely counts for their gpa calculations, regardless of whether or not they do grade replacement, right?

1) good study habits haha. In all seriousness though, study smart instead of studying hard. So many of my classmates studied their asses off but still struggled. We did this thing in critical thinking where we determined what types of study style worked best. Some people were visual learners while others were auditory. Cater your studying to those types of things and you should be fine. For me, I was tactile so I would write a lot of things multiple times until I recalled the information. I would also draw out diagrams and make charts.

2) I tried to study 2 hours before class. I never previewed though because that didn't work for me. I would then try to study 1 or two hours after class and finish by 12:30 or 1 am. On weekends and before tests, I'd do at least 10-12 hours and that includes all the subjects. If you study consistently, you'll find that it gets easier over time and you won't have to cram. You'll also be able to skim through the material and retain more.

3) I split it up based on what I was struggling in. The hardest subjects would be tackled first while I would go over the easiest subjects last. I made a schedule of what I wanted to finish throughout the week.

4) i found that I needed to make time to relax because I always felt like I didn't study enough. After a test, I'd completely shut my brain off and just relax with my classmates and we would go out. I also wouldn't study until I got my test scores back, but I don't recommend that part haha.
Hahaha!! Thank you for the insightful feedback! The program does sound intimidating but if I'm accepted, I'll be going in 110% committed and do whatever it takes to adjust as fast as possible.

Ok but postbaccalaureate undergraduate coursework taken definitely counts for their gpa calculations, regardless of whether or not they do grade replacement, right?
Yes. Let's say you apply to the post bac to start in September. You get in. To start the DO program in August 2017 you need to still submit an AACOMAS app this cycle (this summer before you go over there).

As per calculations of your GPA that they consider for your post bac admission decisions, if you have an aacomas on file (well from last year) then you're good because they'll pick up your transcript and mcat scores from that app. Otherwise you need to send in your official transcript. Your mcat and sat scores I think you send in if you get in. I hope this helped!

Yes. Let's say you apply to the post bac to start in September. You get in. To start the DO program in August 2017 you need to still submit an AACOMAS app this cycle (this summer before you go over there).

As per calculations of your GPA that they consider for your post bac admission decisions, if you have an aacomas on file (well from last year) then you're good because they'll pick up your transcript and mcat scores from that app. Otherwise you need to send in your official transcript. Your mcat and sat scores I think you send in if you get in. I hope this helped!

But what I mean is that their gpa requirement to get into the postbacc program is like a 3.0 or somewhere around there, but if I graduated with my bachelors with a 2.9 or so and then after graduating with my bachelors took some postbaccalaureate coursework, then will that postbaccalaureate coursework be averaged in with my 2.9 from my bachelors when I apply to this program? Or is my gpa locked in after I graduate with my bachelors?

Yeah, I think they send them out whenever there's enough new acceptances. I've been decided on the program since like, February but we've only received one update since the original so far.
Did they send this out via snail mail? I've been decided since the first week of March, and did not receive a list.

But what I mean is that their gpa requirement to get into the postbacc program is like a 3.0 or somewhere around there, but if I graduated with my bachelors with a 2.9 or so and then after graduating with my bachelors took some postbaccalaureate coursework, then will that postbaccalaureate coursework be averaged in with my 2.9 from my bachelors when I apply to this program? Or is my gpa locked in after I graduate with my bachelors?

Like you took CC classes? It should get average& since they ask you to send in transcripts from all the schools you applied to. I'm not sure what the GPA req to get into the post bac is.

Just for future ref, most schools will look at it like "okay he graduated from university of Mars with a bachelor's in biological sciences with a 2.9 GPA, but then he got a 4.0 in 16 units at a cc" and put it together. They look at your app as a whole