LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you get in will you just base your lecom DO school acceptance off of your AIS score instead of retaking your MCAT?
I'm wondering this too. Although my MCAT is high enough, it expires during the post bacc. Mr. Murphy said it would still hold for the DO acceptance but I'm still worried

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What campus do you all eventually wish to attend for the DO program? Erie, B, SH?

And, what learning pathway?

The more I read on PBL, the more interesting it sounds but I would like feedback on all three pathways if possible....

Thank you

Did they send this out via snail mail? I've been decided since the first week of March, and did not receive a list.
That's odd. the last updated list I received was April 19th, maybe you should email Mr Murphy? They may have missed your name when generating the list or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's odd. the last updated list I received was April 19th, maybe you should email Mr Murphy? They may have missed your name when generating the list or something.
Really? Did you receive by email or snail mail? I've been accepted for a couple months and haven't received anything I know they have the correct email.

Do you all think I might have a shot at acceptance to the program with these stats?

cGPA 3.07 , sGPA 2.7 and MCAT 498

I've done research, teaching, physician shadowing, a bunch other community volunteering, been working as a MA and scribe for the last 2 years (taking patient vitals, EKGs, medical histories, and documentation)

I really want to go here...
Thanks

My stats were very similar to yours, but I had a fraction of your ECs and I got in last year. I'd like to say that as long as you meet the requirements for the post bac and they see that you're a decent human being, you'll have a good shot at getting in. Remember that the post bac is a program for people who need to improve. You're not going to see many people with crazy good stats because those are the people who would be getting into medical school already.

do you guys think the On-campus day in June is worth a trip over there? it'd cost me about $700 since I'm coming from Texas and trying to decide if it's worth it...

do you guys think the On-campus day in June is worth a trip over there? it'd cost me about $700 since I'm coming from Texas and trying to decide if it's worth it...
Same here, tryna decide if I should go to the open house day to check it out...

My stats were very similar to yours, but I had a fraction of your ECs and I got in last year. I'd like to say that as long as you meet the requirements for the post bac and they see that you're a decent human being, you'll have a good shot at getting in. Remember that the post bac is a program for people who need to improve. You're not going to see many people with crazy good stats because those are the people who would be getting into medical school already.
Thank you for your insight, I do hope I get in... I'm ready to work hard to earn a seat in their DO program

Reactions: 1 users
If this program is your only option, yea it wouldn't matter cause you're probably going to go anyways. But if you are deciding between programs/whatever it may be I'd check it out. Is it really 7 bills? You're flying into like Cleveland and renting a car right?

It's not worth $700 haha. It's one thing if you're in the area, but since you're not, whatever it is you'll hear at the open house, you'll hear again during orientation or on the forums.

Spend the $700 doing something cool especially before school starts. Whatever questions you'll have can be answered through email or phone call.

I didn't go to the open house, but I didn't miss out on much.

If you do go, you'll see how ridiculous security is with their metal detectors hahaha

It's not worth $700 haha. It's one thing if you're in the area, but since you're not, whatever it is you'll hear at the open house, you'll hear again during orientation or on the forums.

Spend the $700 doing something cool especially before school starts. Whatever questions you'll have can be answered through email or phone call.

I didn't go to the open house, but I didn't miss out on much.

If you do go, you'll see how ridiculous security is with their metal detectors hahaha
How soon should one start looking into apartments or places to live? July? August?

Members don't see this ad :)
If this program is your only option, yea it wouldn't matter cause you're probably going to go anyways. But if you are deciding between programs/whatever it may be I'd check it out. Is it really 7 bills? You're flying into like Cleveland and renting a car right?

I was looking into all my options including flying into Cleveland or Buffalo and rent a car, or flying directly into Erie (through American with a ridiculously 11 hours layover), + 1 hotel night + car rental... unfortunately small airlines like Frontier or Spirit don't fly through to that area... I mainly wanted to hear opinions from previous post bacs but I guess the ones on the forum will suffice

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a cutoff GPA and/or MCAT that would lead to an applicant being rejected from the post Bacc?

Is there a cutoff GPA and/or MCAT that would lead to an applicant being rejected from the post Bacc?
No, from what I've read they seem to be pretty loose with the stats. I think they look to see if you would be a good fit more than anything. People with great stats were rejected too (but I think because they would be able to get into a school without the program)

Lots of people applied elsewhere, and more than a few got in, but that's kind of our point, the applications/scores that they sent out were good enough to get them accepted without this program.

Don't get me wrong, this program is a very viable option to get into medschool, but its very high risk/high reward, so I would not recommend it to anyone until they have tried and failed twice, at that point you've got nothing to lose.

Would those people dropout of the program? Like say they got in someplace within the first semester, would they just back out of the second semester?

Last edited:
What's the average time from submitting the application to receiving a decision letter?

I submitted mine this Tuesday (4/26). I emailed Mr. Murphy my resume, AACOMAS GPA screenshot, recent MCAT scores and 3 letters have been submitted as well (2 from interfolio and 1 directly from a physician). I know one of my transcripts have just been mailed out and it's from Florida so it might arrive next week. I wrote to him asking if he's recieved my documents but no reply from him and from what I've read, most of your statues changed within 2-3 days of submission.

Should I reach out to him again? I just don't want to be annoying about it..

Will they wait until my last transcipt has been recieved to make a decision?

Thank you

What's the average time from submitting the application to receiving a decision letter?

I submitted mine this Tuesday (4/26). I emailed Mr. Murphy my resume, AACOMAS GPA screenshot, recent MCAT scores and 3 letters have been submitted as well (2 from interfolio and 1 directly from a physician). I know one of my transcripts have just been mailed out and it's from Florida so it might arrive next week. I wrote to him asking if he's recieved my documents but no reply from him and from what I've read, most of your statues changed within 2-3 days of submission.

Thank you

Those 2 to 3 days after submission is after your app is complete. What is missing from your folder items?

Those 2 to 3 days after submission is after your app is complete. What is missing from your folder items?
There's nothing showing in the Folder Items and I emailed most of them to Mr. Murphy the day after I submitted.

I know there's still one transcript on the way via mail, everything else I've sent to him.

Thank you
Yeah most likely they'll want to have received everything first. He's also out of town this week until Monday so that may be why he hasn't replied yet.

Accepted today! Just for the others who look at this thread in the future.

3.1 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA (both with retakes)
29 9/10/10 mcat
And for those that calculate AIS ~2200 sat

29 9/10/10 mcat
Awesome! Congratsssss! Hoping to hear the same news in the near future!

Silly question from a southerner here, do you guys recommend getting all-season tires or snow tires and switch them out in the winter in Erie? I drive a 2009 honda accord

Get snow tires and switch them out. Erie is one of the top 10 snowiest cities in the US. A couple of years ago it was #1. Luckily this year was a mild winter and it only started snowing in January and I only had to shovel 4 times. There's a Firestone at the mall, if you tell them you're a student they'll give you a discount.

Would those people dropout of the program? Like say they got in someplace within the first semester, would they just back out of the second semester?

It depends on the med school that accepted you. You have to ask them if they want you to finish out the semester or if you can just drop the program the next day. I know a couple of my classmates finished first semester and never came back second semester because they were told that they had to finish the semester.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Also, if you guys are planning on going to the open house. Try airbnb bc I know some people who live in the apartments across campus are opening up their place during the summer for guests.

Last edited:
Awesome! Congratsssss! Hoping to hear the same news in the near future!
Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks @FortheWIN_DO! I didn't get an invite to the June open house thing yet but I'm not sure if I'll go, I'd rather blow that money doing something else (I'm in cali) fun for the summer

Hey guys !! So I'm not sure if you have heard of the new masters program at the Bradenton campus. I recently got accepted to both and need to make a decision within the next week (before the deadline for the Masters program) about what program I want to go to. There are pros and cons to both programs so I was seeing if anyone can give me some advice in my decision-making?

Hey guys !! So I'm not sure if you have heard of the new masters program at the Bradenton campus. I recently got accepted to both and need to make a decision within the next week (before the deadline for the Masters program) about what program I want to go to. There are pros and cons to both programs so I was seeing if anyone can give me some advice in my decision-making?

Things to think about.... location/weather/close to family&friends, tuition+cost of living, curriculum/size of the class.
You don't receive a degree for the postbac program; just a certificate of completion. The post bac is more medically geared (watered down med school courses with the same profs/materials that you will see again if you continue on into med school at LECOM). I'm not so sure about the master's program.

Things to think about.... location/weather/close to family&friends, tuition+cost of living, curriculum/size of the class.
You don't receive a degree for the postbac program; just a certificate of completion. The post bac is more medically geared (watered down med school courses with the same profs/materials that you will see again if you continue on into med school at LECOM). I'm not so sure about the master's program.

You have good points. Location wise I'm from Florida so Bradenton is only 3 hours away from home. I think I'm going to give both admissions offices a call and see if they can give me more information. I want to take the medical track so I wonder how it would be at the masters program in regards to professors etc. i was thinking since its the first year they offer this program that it might be a hit or a miss success wise

You have good points. Location wise I'm from Florida so Bradenton is only 3 hours away from home. I think I'm going to give both admissions offices a call and see if they can give me more information. I want to take the medical track so I wonder how it would be at the masters program in regards to professors etc. i was thinking since its the first year they offer this program that it might be a hit or a miss success wise

I am in the same boat as you. Accepted to both programs. I decided for the Medical Masters program because I'm in Texas, so no snow for me is a plus and a masters just sounds "better" to me then Postbac, and also the schedule looks better. The program starts in June (so you have summer, fall, and spring) and you don't take more then 4-5 classes. The Postbac program youre taking about 6-7 classes. Idk I didn't want to feel overwhelmed.

But starting a brand new program does freak me out. I don't know if the teachers are good or how tough this program is going to be. But the faculty has been very responsive and answers all my questions, so that's helpful. Good luck on what you decide! Cant go wrong either way!

29 9/10/10 mcat
I have similar stats, except I have a 505 on new mcat

My app is now under review...

One question though...I submitted 4 recommendation letters ( 1 science, 3 physicians) and my AACOMAS GPA but these are not showing up under the Folders Tab. Mr. Murphy did confirm with me that he recieved these documents but they aren't showing up. Only my transcripts, MCAT and the science letter are showing up....did this happen to anyone else? Are these the only documents that show in the Folders Tab?

Thank you..

Last edited:
My app is now under review...

One question though...did any of you submit more than one letter of rec or additional documents? I did and Jamie confirmed with me that he recieved them all, including my calculated AACOMAS GPA screenshot and 3 letters from physicians, however, those documents are not showing up under the Folders... Should I ask him why or did this happen to any of you as well? Thanks
I only sent one letter from a science professor as indicted in their instructions. I also applied to their DO program via aacomas, which had 4 letters of recommendation. I'm not sure if the post bacc committee looked at my aacomas app.

I only sent one letter from a science professor as indicted in their instructions. I also applied to their DO program via aacomas, which had 4 letters of recommendation. I'm not sure if the post bacc committee looked at my aacomas app.
I sent him a screenshot of my AACOMAS Calculated GPA.... He said they would use this to review my app....

I sent him a screenshot of my AACOMAS Calculated GPA.... He said they would use this to review my app....
They have it all. I sent a bunch of letters too but only one showed up in the folder items. Good luck!

They have it all. I sent a bunch of letters too but only one showed up in the folder items. Good luck!
Oh okay.... That's definitely a relief to hear.... Thanks!

Accepted!
For those wondering: 2.9sci and 3.1cum
Taking MCAT in the Sept most likely. Will be first time. See y'all in a few months!

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking into all my options including flying into Cleveland or Buffalo and rent a car, or flying directly into Erie (through American with a ridiculously 11 hours layover), + 1 hotel night + car rental... unfortunately small airlines like Frontier or Spirit don't fly through to that area... I mainly wanted to hear opinions from previous post bacs but I guess the ones on the forum will suffice
I think flying to Buffalo Niagara International Airport would be the best choice. That's what I plan on doing. You could also take Amtrak train to Erie, depending on where you are from.

I think flying to Buffalo Niagara International Airport would be the best choice. That's what I plan on doing. You could also take Amtrak train to Erie, depending on where you are from.

Going off from what you're saying, the Amtrak from Cleveland runs at 5 am to 7ish going to Erie and 1 am to 3 am going from Erie to Cleveland. If you do decide to take the Amtrak, plan accordingly because there aren't as many times.

Going off from what you're saying, the Amtrak from Cleveland runs at 5 am to 7ish going to Erie and 1 am to 3 am going from Erie to Cleveland. If you do decide to take the Amtrak, plan accordingly because there aren't as many times.
Thanks for the info. I might take Amtrak from Penn Station NY to Erie, PA directly. Its about 12 hours, and arrives at Erie at 1:48am. Hopefully there are Ubers or taxis available at that time. I'm still exploring other methods of travel. Any advice would be much appreciated.

For applying to the DO program from post-bac, do we need a DO LOC, or an MD one can suffice?

Elder postbacc wrapping up MS1 checking in.

I would say flying into Buffalo or Cleveland + renting a car would be the best option. The drive from either place to Erie takes about 1.5 hrs and would also take out alot of the hassle of finding transportation. I have never had a problem finding an uber here though.

Elder postbacc wrapping up MS1 checking in.

I would say flying into Buffalo or Cleveland + renting a car would be the best option. The drive from either place to Erie takes about 1.5 hrs and would also take out alot of the hassle of finding transportation. I have never had a problem finding an uber here though.
The parking at Buffalo Niagara airport is 50 per week which is not bad. I might park there when traveling to visit relatives.

Tomorrow makes one week under review... Good or bad sign? Lol

Last edited:
has anyone started the program yet??? How difficult is it?? Is it like impossible or is it a fair post bacc program?

has anyone started the program yet??? How difficult is it?? Is it like impossible or is it a fair post bacc program?
If you go back a few pages and search the forum there are tons of helpful posts from current/former students. The general gist of what I got from them is:

-you had a low gpa in undergrad and want to be a doctor
-keeping a 3.0 in the program is similar to maintaining a 3.7ish in undergrad
-the only night off you get is the night after an exam
-Do well first semester - it gives you a cushion for second semester and you get your conditional acceptance earlier on.
-Pharm is a super hard class, but people ended up doing better than accepted.
-No water or food anywhere except the cafeteria - so most people study at other libraries (I mean I love eating gummy bears while studying)

I can tell that you aren't going to do well in the program since it seems like you want answers given to you. Use the search bar kid and read through the 14 pages.

I can tell that you aren't going to do well in the program since it seems like you want answers given to you. Use the search bar kid and read through the 14 pages.
No need to be rude to new forum posters. All they were seeking was some guidance