LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can tell that you aren't going to do well in the program since it seems like you want answers given to you. Use the search bar kid and read through the 14 pages.
oh i was just wondering because I have a couple post baccs to choose from? Sorry for not using the search bar. u must be so important that your on these fourms you jerk.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So if we have dental interviews from other schools duing the semester, are we allowed to miss school days since attndance is mandatory?

So if we have dental interviews from other schools duing the semester, are we allowed to miss school days since attndance is mandatory?
Interviews are considered an excused absence so as long as you show them your interview invite you will be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you go back a few pages and search the forum there are tons of helpful posts from current/former students. The general gist of what I got from them is:

-you had a low gpa in undergrad and want to be a doctor
-keeping a 3.0 in the program is similar to maintaining a 3.7ish in undergrad
-the only night off you get is the night after an exam
-Do well first semester - it gives you a cushion for second semester and you get your conditional acceptance earlier on.
-Pharm is a super hard class, but people ended up doing better than accepted.
-No water or food anywhere except the cafeteria - so most people study at other libraries (I mean I love eating gummy bears while studying)

thanks for the nice replay! that really helped. I think ill apply to this program and go from there!! if you find any extra information please share. Ill prob go through and read all the posts in this thread. Its prob a good idea hehe

Hi Everyone,

I recently got accepted into LECOM's post bacc program.
I understand that there is alot of disagreement over Pharm.

However, can current or former post baccs shed some light on how to succeed in this class and others?
Was there something you would have done differently looking back now?

Does LECOM try to weed students out of their post-bacc program?

This is all new to me so any advice you have would be great.

Thank you!

Hey there former Post bac and now accepted medical student at LECOM!
Here are my .02 cents of advice as far as the classes are concerned
FIRST SEMESTER
Physiology 5 credits-As others have mentioned before DO THE BRS!! The questions are more in depth than the test questions. This class is about more than memorizing but truly grasping the concepts. Something that helped me was getting in a small group and explaining the materials to my peers. Don't fall into the trap of the illusion of knowledge like I did haha! One of the more difficult classes first semester along with Biochem! The tests to me all had the same level of difficulty but the final was much easier.(That doesn't mean don't study!)
Critical thinking 1 credit- If your like me your going to start off thinking this class is an easy A because they test you on med term at first but watch out because when you start getting tested on the science articles it gets harder. Very easy to miss an A in this class by a few points especially since it is only 1 credit.
Biochem 3 credits- Don't be bogged down by all the minor details they give you in some of the lectures (aka the carbohydrate lecture haha) again know the key concepts. I know many people that spent WAY to much time trying to memorize every detail instead of understanding the big picture and it hurt them. I never had biochem before but I felt the class was very fair. The final is very difficult IMO.
Cell biology(2) Genetics(1)- I lumped these classes together because they are taught by the same teacher and they are classes you can easily get A's in if you just memorize the slides.
Microbiology(2)-The challenge of this class was being able to memorize the amount of material they gave us in the time allotted. The questions for this class weren't very hard (first and second order type questions). I liked to use Quizlet for this class. Getting an A in this class is definitely doable
Histology(1)-MEMORIZE NOT JUST THE PICTURES BUT EVERY DETAIL ON THE SLIDE AND YOU WILL BE FINE.
SECOND SEMESTER
Immunolgy(1)/Virology(1)- Again, I lumped them because they are taught by the same professor. They are your first classes for the second semester. Immunology screwed some people over because there was only one test for the class-80 points until the final. My best advice is to memorize EVERYTHING on the slide haha if you memorize everything then I promise you wont fail. I also used quizlet for these classes!
Anatomy(5)- I guarantee this is not going to be like any anatomy class you had in undergrad. The first test fools you into thinking its going to be easy and then the second test happily kicks you in the ass haha. Looking back at it I didn't know how to study for this class until the third test. Not only do you have to know all of the info on the slides AND THE SUPPLEMENT (you'll thank me later) but you need to be able to visualize EVERYTHING at an expert level if you want to do well on the tests! The final is incredibly hard(again IMO)
Pharmocology(3)- I personally found this class hard as it was my first time taking pharm. 2/3 of your points are on one test as stated before. If I could go back in time I would have given my self more time than usual to study for this class. IT IS ALOT OF DRUGS(hundreds) so don't procrastinate!
Pathology(4)- I loved this class. The professor truly cares about us and really wanted us all to succeed. Not a very difficult class just make sure you memorize the slides AND the pictures!
Intro to med(1)- Honestly I have mixed feeling about this class. It taught us things such as how to write a proper doctor note and the details of CT scanning. While I find all of this interesting it just didn't seem necessary at times. Plus one of the two teachers keeps you there until 6pm. But on the other hand the questions for the test are an easy A and they tell you this.

Sorry this was really long haha. In general I would say when in doubt memorize everything and make sure to form a small study group. I typically studied for two hours before class and 4 hours after.I reviewed for about 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. This program will be the hardest year of your life but if you put the time into it you can do it!!!
Also don't get caught up in any class drama because you are there for one reason only! This is your job take it seriously! That doesn't mean you cant have some fun after tests ha
Oh and do yourself a favor and push as hard as you can from the beginning! Find your learning style and run with it!
GOODLUCK EVERYONE! Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 13 users
I just remembered for Anatomy: Know the Automatic nervous system pathway thoroughly. You'll thank me later.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone!

I have a 2.92 GPA, studying to take the MCAT June 18. I asked Jaime not to make a decision until I receive my MCAT score. I went and met with him and he gave me a tour, so I hope that showed my initiative and dedication to the program.

Unfortunately my AIS isn't at 110 (because of GPA) so I'm wondering if I'll still be accepted into this program regardless of the MCAT score, with the condition that I'll have to retake it if my score is below the 40th percentile (I think 495)??

Has anyone been denied? If so, what were the reasons/stats?

Don't quote me on this but I knew some people who didn't have the mcat or the ais score, but they were in the program. They had to take the mcat during the school year though.

Accepted! Still waiting on a few other schools but leaning towards LECOM. After reading through this thread and last year's thread, it seems having a car will be beneficial...not looking forward to the drive from California...

P.S. Any previous/current pre-dentals want to chime in their experience going from LECOM's postbacc -> dental school (LECOM or other)?

Last edited:
Accepted! Still waiting on a few other schools but leaning towards LECOM. After reading through this thread and last year's thread, it seems having a car will be beneficial...not looking forward to the drive from California...

P.S. Any previous/current pre-dentals want to chime in their experience going from LECOM's postbacc -> dental school (LECOM or other)?
Holy balls that will be a long drive. Just ship your car.

I'm from CA too and I calculated the transport vs driving to PA costs and found the cost to be about even considering gas, hotels, food, etc for the several days it will take you to drive cross country

Members don't see this ad :)
Sell ur car then buy a replacement ?

I would rather not...I love my car too much haha.

I'm from CA too and I calculated the transport vs driving to PA costs and found the cost to be about even considering gas, hotels, food, etc for the several days it will take you to drive cross country

Yeah I did the calculation too...but I thought why not do a mini road trip (Vegas is on the way ;)). Also, I would be saving airfare.

I know of someone who drove from California and did airbnb along the way to Erie. You could do that to save money on hotels.

I would rather not...I love my car too much haha.

Yeah I did the calculation too...but I thought why not do a mini road trip (Vegas is on the way ;)). Also, I would be saving airfare.
What do u drive?

Hey there former Post bac and now accepted medical student at LECOM!
Here are my .02 cents of advice as far as the classes are concerned
FIRST SEMESTER
Physiology 5 credits-As others have mentioned before DO THE BRS!! The questions are more in depth than the test questions. This class is about more than memorizing but truly grasping the concepts. Something that helped me was getting in a small group and explaining the materials to my peers. Don't fall into the trap of the illusion of knowledge like I did haha! One of the more difficult classes first semester along with Biochem! The tests to me all had the same level of difficulty but the final was much easier.(That doesn't mean don't study!)
Critical thinking 1 credit- If your like me your going to start off thinking this class is an easy A because they test you on med term at first but watch out because when you start getting tested on the science articles it gets harder. Very easy to miss an A in this class by a few points especially since it is only 1 credit.
Biochem 3 credits- Don't be bogged down by all the minor details they give you in some of the lectures (aka the carbohydrate lecture haha) again know the key concepts. I know many people that spent WAY to much time trying to memorize every detail instead of understanding the big picture and it hurt them. I never had biochem before but I felt the class was very fair. The final is very difficult IMO.
Cell biology(2) Genetics(1)- I lumped these classes together because they are taught by the same teacher and they are classes you can easily get A's in if you just memorize the slides.
Microbiology(2)-The challenge of this class was being able to memorize the amount of material they gave us in the time allotted. The questions for this class weren't very hard (first and second order type questions). I liked to use Quizlet for this class. Getting an A in this class is definitely doable
Histology(1)-MEMORIZE NOT JUST THE PICTURES BUT EVERY DETAIL ON THE SLIDE AND YOU WILL BE FINE.
SECOND SEMESTER
Immunolgy(1)/Virology(1)- Again, I lumped them because they are taught by the same professor. They are your first classes for the second semester. Immunology screwed some people over because there was only one test for the class-80 points until the final. My best advice is to memorize EVERYTHING on the slide haha if you memorize everything then I promise you wont fail. I also used quizlet for these classes!
Anatomy(5)- I guarantee this is not going to be like any anatomy class you had in undergrad. The first test fools you into thinking its going to be easy and then the second test happily kicks you in the ass haha. Looking back at it I didn't know how to study for this class until the third test. Not only do you have to know all of the info on the slides AND THE SUPPLEMENT (you'll thank me later) but you need to be able to visualize EVERYTHING at an expert level if you want to do well on the tests! The final is incredibly hard(again IMO)
Pharmocology(3)- I personally found this class hard as it was my first time taking pharm. 2/3 of your points are on one test as stated before. If I could go back in time I would have given my self more time than usual to study for this class. IT IS ALOT OF DRUGS(hundreds) so don't procrastinate!
Pathology(4)- I loved this class. The professor truly cares about us and really wanted us all to succeed. Not a very difficult class just make sure you memorize the slides AND the pictures!
Intro to med(1)- Honestly I have mixed feeling about this class. It taught us things such as how to write a proper doctor note and the details of CT scanning. While I find all of this interesting it just didn't seem necessary at times. Plus one of the two teachers keeps you there until 6pm. But on the other hand the questions for the test are an easy A and they tell you this.

Sorry this was really long haha. In general I would say when in doubt memorize everything and make sure to form a small study group. I typically studied for two hours before class and 4 hours after.I reviewed for about 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. This program will be the hardest year of your life but if you put the time into it you can do it!!!
Also don't get caught up in any class drama because you are there for one reason only! This is your job take it seriously! That doesn't mean you cant have some fun after tests ha
Oh and do yourself a favor and push as hard as you can from the beginning! Find your learning style and run with it!
GOODLUCK EVERYONE! Feel free to message me if you have any questions!
THANK YOU FOR THIS INSIGHTFUL FEEDBACK!!!

I drove from California too and it wasn't that bad. the only thing is if you have an older car, be careful if you drive through Colorado because the altitude change can be tough on older cars. It was tough on mine haha

Genesis Coupe. Low-key scared because it's RWD...I had a bad experience with snow before.
Ooo I wanna say that you might not survive snow season if you don't live near lecom especially if you haven't had much experience with driving in snow, but I definitely could be wrong. I had a honda civic coupe RWD and haha my car drove into a ditch even with snow tires on. I switched to a subaru outback, best decision I've made since I admit that I'm a bad driver.

Sounds like a bitch to get chains on a RWD

I haven't seen anyone drive with chains in Erie. It's too much of a hassle to put on and take off. Like other people have said, live closer to LECOM. It'll make things easier for you in the long run.

Anyone know what the exact start date for the program is? I know it's around the beginning of Sept...

Sept 7 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooo I wanna say that you might not survive snow season if you don't live near lecom especially if you haven't had much experience with driving in snow, but I definitely could be wrong. I had a honda civic coupe RWD and haha my car drove into a ditch even with snow tires on. I switched to a subaru outback, best decision I've made since I admit that I'm a bad driver.
FWD though right?

Nearly 2 weeks under review...getting kinda anxious :/

Nearly 2 weeks under review...getting kinda anxious :/
They're probably filling up the class and have a lot more apps to go thru (since the decisions from the central app cycle are all out now). Keep your head up!

Those of you accepted already without an MCAT or are retaking; when do you plan on taking it? I'm looking at possibly taking it 9/1 or 9/9.

They're probably filling up the class and have a lot more apps to go thru (since the decisions from the central app cycle are all out now). Keep your head up!
Does that mean my chances are lower?

Those of you accepted already without an MCAT or are retaking; when do you plan on taking it? I'm looking at possibly taking it 9/1 or 9/9.
I'm retaking (just for other reasons, not to meet the requirements of the program). I think 9/1 is a solid date. I'm taking it in about a month or so though.

I'm retaking (just for other reasons, not to meet the requirements of the program). I think 9/1 is a solid date. I'm taking it in about a month or so though.
Good luck on the MCAT!

So I applied for financial aid. Anyone know how long it takes to receive award letter?

Is there any way we can call to find out the decision made on our application or do we just have to wait for the letter in the mail?

Is there any way we can call to find out the decision made on our application or do we just have to wait for the letter in the mail?
Some people call and ask. If you're persistent they may tell you. Only reason I didn't is because both instances I saw of people doing that were rejections. And I'm stupidly superstitious when it comes to this kinda stuff.

Some people call and ask. If you're persistent they may tell you. Only reason I didn't is because both instances I saw of people doing that were rejections. And I'm stupidly superstitious when it comes to this kinda stuff.
Yeah... I'll wait for the mail lol

Yeah... I'll wait for the mail lol
Lol yea. I'm sure it doesn't matter but I'd just wait. Plus the whole badgering Mr. Murphy thing seems kinda against the "keep a low profile" mantra that's attached the post bac

Lol yea. I'm sure it doesn't matter but I'd just wait. Plus the whole badgering Mr. Murphy thing seems kinda against the "keep a low profile" mantra that's attached the post bac
I was gonna email him today regarding my status but I decided not to so to avoid bothering him and good thing I didn't as it changed today! I'll definitely just wait patiently now for the letter to come in... Thanks!

So my application has been "under review" for about two weeks now .... :(

So my application has been "under review" for about two weeks now .... :(
Mines was under review for 2 weeks too and it was changed yesterday to 'a decision has been made'.. Now I'm simply waiting for the letter to arrive, I'm hoping by the end of this week as it seems everyone gets theirs within a week following the committee's decision.

Mines was under review for 2 weeks too and it was changed yesterday to 'a decision has been made'.. Now I'm simply waiting for the letter to arrive, I'm hoping by the end of this week as it seems everyone gets theirs within a week following the committee's decision.

the wait is killing me!! good luck!!

Any pre-dentals know if we should still apply to LECOM's dental school via AADSAS when applications open June 1st? I emailed Jamie but he seems busy...

Hi, I was accepted just recently after applying 1-2 weeks ago. I think this program is the right decision for me personally at this point so I have decided to send in my deposit.

I'm from New York so doing a bit research on this - can anyone tell me the best housing I should get? I know Granada is one to avoid.
Preferably something close distance to the buildings that our classes/exams are mainly held. I'd rather be in a building where the students for this post-bac live so is there one in particular?
Also, if any female is looking for a roommate (or housemate since single rooms are preferable), please let me know !

Hi, I was accepted just recently after applying 1-2 weeks ago. I think this program is the right decision for me personally at this point so I have decided to send in my deposit.

I'm from New York so doing a bit research on this - can anyone tell me the best housing I should get? I know Granada is one to avoid.
Preferably something close distance to the buildings that our classes/exams are mainly held. I'd rather be in a building where the students for this post-bac live so is there one in particular?
Also, if any female is looking for a roommate (or housemate since single rooms are preferable), please let me know !

Laurel Ridge is across the street

EDIT: Laurel Springs is across the street, my b.

Last edited:
Submitted my application to the LECOM - MSBS Program on Sunday (I had my part of the application submitted April 1, 2016, but my Letters finally got submitted on Interfolio Sunday, May 15, 2016. It was such a long wait and I had to press my professors to get the letter in.) Whew the application is finally done!

My admission status changed to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" just three days after my Letters got processed, and the adcoms could review my application in its entirety. I don't know if that three days is a good or bad thing.

Now anxiously waiting :confused::eek:

Good luck everyone (future classmates hopefully?)

Last edited: