LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted my application to the LECOM - MSBS Program on Sunday (I had my part of the application submitted April 1, 2016, but my Letters finally got submitted on Interfolio Sunday, May 15, 2016. It was such a long wait and I had to press my professors to get the letter in.) Whew the application is finally done!

My admission status changed to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" just three days after my Letters got processed, and the adcoms could review my application in its entirety. I don't know if that three days is a good or bad thing.

Now anxiously waiting :confused::eek:

Good luck everyone (future classmates hopefully?)

Your status changed so quickly! Mine has been "under review" for two weeks now ...I don't know what to make of it ...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Laurel Ridge is across the street

EDIT: Laurel Springs is across the street, my b.

I heard Laurel Springs is across the main campus right? But i also heard that there are other buildings where the main classes are held? Or is that just Laurel Springs?

Did you try applying to dental school? Since you have a pretty good DAT score, I would suggest post bacc. San Francisco State University has a solid post bacc program (as well as LECOM!)

Your status changed so quickly! Mine has been "under review" for two weeks now ...I don't know what to make of it ...

I did submit my online portion of the app and transcripts at the end of march, so maybe the adcoms were looking at my floating app already. It's just that it was all on hold because my letter writers took forever ( 1 month and a half):eek:

But I'm anxiously waiting. I was just offered a higher paying job at UCSF and I am in limbo if I should take that or wait out my acceptances on these SMP Grad Schools Apps!!!
The wait is killing me literally.

Waiting for snail mail has slowly been killing my soul! It's been 3 days since my status has changed! I hope I get it today and I'm real tempted to contact Mr. Murphy to try and find out already!!!

Anyone call to find out and get an answer??!?

Waiting for snail mail has slowly been killing my soul! It's been 3 days since my status has changed! I hope I get it today and I'm real tempted to contact Mr. Murphy to try and find out already!!!

Anyone call to find out and get an answer??!?

I literally just e-mailed LECOM admissions. It wouldn't hurt.
I also e-mailed Touro California since I applied there, and someone e-mailed me within minutes saying I need to fix my application. There is always someone who will get back to you because that is their job.

GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
WTH! I got denied acceptance! I have plenty of EC's, I've worked as a MA the past few years, I'm a URM, I have a cum GPA of 3.07, MCAT 498, I'm starting to think I'm getting rejected Bc I have an autoimmune condition... I'm starting to lose hope here...

Are there other programs whose deadline hasn't passed that are similar to LECOM's? Can any of you shed light on programs that accept the stats I have? Thank you...

What are my chances into a DO program if I apply the first week it opens?

I'm not an expert on DO schools (I'm pre-dental) but I heard Touro University has a Masters with DO linkage. I believe applications are still being accepted. Good luck!

WTH! I got denied acceptance! I have plenty of EC's, I've worked as a MA the past few years, I'm a URM, I have a cum GPA of 3.07, MCAT 498, I'm starting to think I'm getting rejected Bc I have an autoimmune condition... I'm starting to lose hope here...

Are there other programs whose deadline hasn't passed that are similar to LECOM's? Can any of you shed light on programs that accept the stats I have? Thank you...

You should probably look into MU-COM MS program. They're starting it this year and seems like the linkage is pretty strong.

Oh man I'm sorry dude, but this isn't the end of the line by any means with those stats. I'm still working on my TUC app (I got rejected from TUN) so I know that they are still accepting apps (Till sometime in early June I believe). I think you are competitive for DO schools. People get rejected for random reasons, there's no point in assuming it's because of something that is your fault. If I was in your position, I would start AACOMAS right now, and apply to a few schools where you know your MCAT won't get you screened out, study for the mid-July test, crush it (you have 2 months) and then hit the rest of the schools you wanted. It'll be much faster since you were already verified. Yea you want get those second set of secondaries till August but that's still mid-cycle. You can probably also give Mr. Murphy a call and ask why you were rejected. If I had to guess, I would say it's probably because your application was reviewed with a bunch of other people's who were waitlisted/rejected from the DO cycle this year (and who thought they were good enough to get accepted) and their application barely outshined yours. It's just a theory but that's why I'm thinking a few people get accepted a few days before the program starts (just to fill seats).

PNWU MAMS is also one. It's pricey though, but a great program. I don't think the linkage is as tangible as the LECOM one but it definitely exists. I'm not sure if they stopped accepting apps yet (I don't think so)

hi do you guys think it's to late to apply. I had the application since feb but didn't apply until I knew I could pay for this. I have a 3.34 cum and haven't taken the mcat yet. I'm worried i waited to long and now I don't have a chance. :(

hi do you guys think it's to late to apply. I had the application since feb but didn't apply until I knew I could pay for this. I have a 3.34 cum and haven't taken the mcat yet. I'm worried i waited to long and now I don't have a chance. :(
All you have to lose is the application fee

So I didn't do well on the MCAT. i think i was just nervous or something. I ended up getting a 496. Also, the science professor who was going to prep my LOR by august 1st has basically flaked out on me (not responding to my emails and he hasn't been in his office the past 6-7 times i went there in the past month). My gpa also dropped down to a 3.07 from a 3.1. I am taking 2 summer courses (both are science). hopefully ill go up to a 3.1 by then (or higher). I have no idea what happened... i think i just 'crashed'. My gpa dropped, my mcat score was bad, no LOR, etc. I am thankful that I did end up graduating with 2 degrees though (bio and sociology) last week. UGH. Maybe it was the stress of graduating? commuting 2 hours everyday for school? feeling like a loner? trying to coordinate mcat studying while taking 22 credits? idk. i can't let these things get to me if I want to become a physician. I know things are only going to get more difficult.

My parents want me to just apply to the Caribbean, but I know I won't perform well there. They think that I will just make things work there. HOW?

Sorry guys, just needed to vent to someone. Pathetic of me. Anyways, my game plan has changed a lot. I'll prep for the August 5th mcat (work my ass off). I will apply without a science LoR. I'll go the AIS route where they only take GPA + SAT + ACT scores. I went on their calculator and I have a 114. It says i am eligible to apply with that number. My MCAT score is a 39 percentile. Reading from this thread, I know u need a 40%. That's why I am going the AIS route. I'll email my sociology professor for a LoR. I'll ask 2 physicians (1 DO 1 MD) for LoRs. Hopefully that'll be enough? UGHHHHHHH.

Anyways, does anyone know who I should contact about using the AIS score? and who should i email about submitting an application without a science LoR?

Sorry for the rant.

So I didn't do well on the MCAT. i think i was just nervous or something. I ended up getting a 496. Also, the science professor who was going to prep my LOR by august 1st has basically flaked out on me (not responding to my emails and he hasn't been in his office the past 6-7 times i went there in the past month). My gpa also dropped down to a 3.07 from a 3.1. I am taking 2 summer courses (both are science). hopefully ill go up to a 3.1 by then (or higher). I have no idea what happened... i think i just 'crashed'. My gpa dropped, my mcat score was bad, no LOR, etc. I am thankful that I did end up graduating with 2 degrees though (bio and sociology) last week. UGH. Maybe it was the stress of graduating? commuting 2 hours everyday for school? feeling like a loner? trying to coordinate mcat studying while taking 22 credits? idk. i can't let these things get to me if I want to become a physician. I know things are only going to get more difficult.

My parents want me to just apply to the Caribbean, but I know I won't perform well there. They think that I will just make things work there. HOW?

Sorry guys, just needed to vent to someone. Pathetic of me. Anyways, my game plan has changed a lot. I'll prep for the August 5th mcat (work my ass off). I will apply without a science LoR. I'll go the AIS route where they only take GPA + SAT + ACT scores. I went on their calculator and I have a 114. It says i am eligible to apply with that number. My MCAT score is a 39 percentile. Reading from this thread, I know u need a 40%. That's why I am going the AIS route. I'll email my sociology professor for a LoR. I'll ask 2 physicians (1 DO 1 MD) for LoRs. Hopefully that'll be enough? UGHHHHHHH.

Anyways, does anyone know who I should contact about using the AIS score? and who should i email about submitting an application without a science LoR?

Sorry for the rant.

Hi ayudar!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It sucks when things don't go as planned, but with an AIS of 114 I would definitely try applying! It can't hurt! By doing well in this program you could enter medical school without a great MCAT.

I would recommend contacting Mr. Murphy. I believe he is the admission representative for the post-bacc program.

Best of luck to you!!

Sorry for the rant.

Sorry to hear about that. The MCAT messes us all up at some level, you're not alone! Don't worry though, I got accepted with a 493 (27th percentile) MCAT but a 122 AIS. Show you are worth investing in and that'll probably improve your chances. Contact Jamie Murphy about the LoR, but I really think that's an important part in the application process, unless an exception is made.

Sorry for the rant.

I'd say you should still go ahead and submit your MCAT score. The 40th percentile is needed to get into their med school, not post bacc. I'm pretty sure the LOR is mandatory, so you should start emailing your old profs and see if any of them are willing to write you one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Feeling a lot better. I guess I was just panicking a little. I spoke with Mr. Murphy. He emailed me almost immediately! Anyways right now I'm going to submit what I can. I plan on contacting the professor I have been trying to reach until august 1st. But, I also plan to do well in these two science courses that i'll be taking next week and hopefully get letters from either professor.

For any future applicants who plan on using the AIS method and who are wondering about whether they take super score for the SAT, they actually don't. Mr. Murphy emailed me saying that they only take the single highest attempt.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Feeling a lot better. I guess I was just panicking a little. I spoke with Mr. Murphy. He emailed me almost immediately! Anyways right now I'm going to submit what I can. I plan on contacting the professor I have been trying to reach until august 1st. But, I also plan to do well in these two science courses that i'll be taking next week and hopefully get letters from either professor.

For any future applicants who plan on using the AIS method and who are wondering about whether they take super score for the SAT, they actually don't. Mr. Murphy emailed me saying that they only take the single highest attempt.

You can do it!

So I recently had a change of heart. I got accepted to 4 postbaccs and chose Touro-CA because I am from Cali, but after learning that they upped their class size to 60 this year, I got cold feet because it's highly unlikely that upwards of 90% of their MSMHS program will matriculate into DO. So, despite having been officially withdrawn from this school for not paying my deposit, I was able to talk to admissions and they said that if I pay the deposit ASAP, I will have a spot. Sure wish I didn't already send Touro-CA a $500, but looking forward to coming to Erie nonetheless. Any advice on the best place to live that is near campus, preferably furnished with included utilities. Thanks in advance!

I'm not liking the review of lecom...most former students say they are doing horrible there, even when they study bard...and average gpa is like 3.2? That ain't good...it's probably good for lecom but not for other schools
Are you speaking about the post-bacc specifically? If so, I think it's just the nature of the beast. And that's why if you can get in directly to a school somewhere, it's probably a good idea to take that route and save some money.

What scared me was how hard pharm was...average first test was like 67 and second test was like 70
I definitely identify with your concern, so it's a good idea you're doing research before the program begins! And yea, a 3 at lecom is acceptable but not so much for other schools. I think the best advice that was given by previous students was to go HAM first semester and get a little cushion for second semester (when you take path)

Is this program highly selective. Do a lot of people get denied?

Is this program highly selective. Do a lot of people get denied?

While I was reading through the thread I believe they are pretty lenient on people who dont have a very high gpa. The main reason for a post bacc would be because you your Mcat is good but your science gpa is low making it difficult for you to get into med schools. Just read through the whole thread most of the answers to the questions are there. One thing I have noticed is that this program seems to be very rigorous and they are trying to weed people out through the post bacc year. Just a thought to keep in mind. Again this is stuff ive only heard about by reading through the WHOLE thread.

While I was reading through the thread I believe they are pretty lenient on people who dont have a very high gpa. The main reason for a post bacc would be because you your Mcat is good but your science gpa is low making it difficult for you to get into med schools. Just read through the whole thread most of the answers to the questions are there. One thing I have noticed is that this program seems to be very rigorous and they are trying to weed people out through the post bacc year. Just a thought to keep in mind. Again this is stuff ive only heard about by reading through the WHOLE thread.

I read through the whole thread and I think its a reasonable program. Its just I haven't taken my mcat yet so I was wondering if that might cause them to deny me as an applicant I have a 117 AIS so I'm not sure

I mean this respectfully, but of course the Post Bac is going to be difficult. It's two-thirds of the curriculum of the first year of medical school, which we've all heard is challenging to get through. If anything, the Post Bac will prepare you to have the stamina for when you're actually in the DO program.

The pass rates are probably so low because a lot of people who wanted a second chance at medicine but didn't have the study discipline/genuine interest in the subjects ended up getting behind and ultimately found out that this career path isn't for them. Medicine is hard work, even once you're a doctor...I say if you're up for the challenge and are dedicated to becoming a doctor, you'll probably surprise yourself with how well you'll actually do!

Last edited:
Rejected today
Got my letter in the mail about a week after seeing that my application was complete.
499 MCAT 2.85 cGPA although idk if that's important. People wiith lower/higher will get in but just in case anyone was curious

Rejected today
Got my letter in the mail about a week after seeing that my application was complete.
499 MCAT 2.85 cGPA although idk if that's important. People wiith lower/higher will get in but just in case anyone was curious
I'm sorry to hear that dude, but thanks for posting your stats

For those who are also applying to dental school this cycle, are you applying to LECOM through AADSAS? Are we required to do that despite enrolling in the program?

For those who are also applying to dental school this cycle, are you applying to LECOM through AADSAS? Are we required to do that despite enrolling in the program?

I had the same question too! I emailed Jamie couple days ago and he confirmed that we need to apply through AADSAS.

I'm just going to put this here for people who are too lazy to look through the thread (you should though because there's a lot of useful information)

In terms of difficulty

Fall Semester:
Physiology >> Histology > Biochemistry > Microbiology > Cell Biology > Genetics >> Critical Thinking

Spring Semester:
Pharmacology >>>>> Anatomy >>> Immunology > Virology or Pathology > Intro to Clinical Med

Critical thinking is the dumbest class out of all of these and possibly the only class where you obtain nothing except wasted time and effort.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just going to put this here for people who are too lazy to look through the thread (you should though because there's a lot of useful information)

In terms of difficulty

Fall Semester:
Physiology >> Histology > Biochemistry > Microbiology > Cell Biology > Genetics >> Critical Thinking

Spring Semester:
Pharmacology >>>>> Anatomy >>> Immunology > Virology or Pathology > Intro to Clinical Med

Critical thinking is the dumbest class out of all of these and possibly the only class where you obtain nothing except wasted time and effort.
Is the genetics class like undergrad genetics? Punnet squares, that chart with the filled in squares and circles, etc.? Just out of curiosity.

And about histology, do you just print out a bunch of pictures and just quiz yourself on each tissue sample?

Last edited:
Is the genetics class like undergrad genetics? Punnet squares, that chart with the filled in squares and circles, etc.? Just out of curiosity.

And about histology, do you just print out a bunch of pictures and just quiz yourself on each tissue sample?

Some Punnett squares but overall much easier than undergrad. If it's the same professors teaching, just go over the slides.

For histo, I just looked online for already made quizzes and I used the book for clarification. It takes too much ink to print out pictures and the quality is lost.

Some Punnett squares but overall much easier than undergrad. If it's the same professors teaching, just go over the slides.

For histo, I just looked online for already made quizzes and I used the book for clarification. It takes too much ink to print out pictures and the quality is lost.
Cool thanks!

To people who have completed the program:

How did you/your classmates handle going to interviews during the program? Did it set you back missing a day of class? Are lectures recorded, allowing you to catch up easily?

Are we supposed to receive something back from the school after turning in our Matriculation/ Financial aid package?

Wait, when exactly is this open house?

do you guys think the On-campus day in June is worth a trip over there? it'd cost me about $700 since I'm coming from Texas and trying to decide if it's worth it...

Wait when is this open house??