LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone that has completed the LECOM Post Bacc program been granted admission into an MD program?

Anyone who's been rejected willing to share stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone get in with a downward trend in grades?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone get in with a downward trend in grades?
Yea I don't have a good trend. I generally just had crappy grades (b average) throughout undergrad. If I didn't have research i wouldn't hit the 3.0 mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to apply next year but I want my GPA to be calculated with grade replacement.

I've read through this entire thread and it seems they will only calculate your GPA with grade replacement if set up an AACOMAS application and then send a screenshot of your GPA from there.

So would I have to apply to some random school with AACOMAS in the fall and then use a screenshot of that GPA for when I apply to this postbacc next spring?

I am confused about what you mean? Can you elaborate? I wouldn't mind having a few of my undergrad grades replaced by my post bac grades. Is this what you're referring to?

For those of you who have completed this program, what would you recommend for note taking?? Did you feel it was easiest to take notes by hand on printed power point slides or on the computer?

what's the average age of students in this porgram?
I guess it would be similar to the average ages of med school. I met some people in their 30s and one guy in his 40s, but the majority were early 20s/recently graduated from undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone needs an apartment, message me. I am not longer attending the program

Student loan refund checks are available 14 days after Sept 7 (start of semester), but my rent is due Sept 15. Anyone else having this issue or am I misunderstanding something?

Student loan refund checks are available 14 days after Sept 7 (start of semester), but my rent is due Sept 15. Anyone else having this issue or am I misunderstanding something?

That probably means you have to pay your rent out of pocket before you get your reimbursement check.

To those that got in:

Good luck in the post bac program! Study hard everyday but also develop meaningful relationships and make sure you have time for yourself. You don't want to burn out during the post bac program and you're all in this together. Remember to keep your head low during this program because the main thing is for you all to get into med school (don't do anything stupid).

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'm not at Erie's campus anymore, but my post-bac classmates will be and they'll have a multitude of information for you guys.

Reactions: 1 users
That probably means you have to pay your rent out of pocket before you get your reimbursement check.
Thank you for replying. I just remembered that I payed prorated rent for Aug 26 - Sept 14 upfront. My next rent is due Oct 15.

To those that got in:

Good luck in the post bac program! Study hard everyday but also develop meaningful relationships and make sure you have time for yourself. You don't want to burn out during the post bac program and you're all in this together. Remember to keep your head low during this program because the main thing is for you all to get into med school (don't do anything stupid).

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'm not at Erie's campus anymore, but my post-bac classmates will be and they'll have a multitude of information for you guys.
Thank you so much for this!
It's really kind for you to think of us.

What is orientation like? There is a full day of orientation on Wednesday. I'm just surprised they would need that much time.

I mean Thursday

Orientation is going to suck. It's all administrative stuff. Make sure you guys know where your heart is for the pledge of allegiance (we got chewed out for this last year) and don't laugh during the God Bless America video.

Orientation is going to suck. It's all administrative stuff. Make sure you guys know where your heart is for the pledge of allegiance (we got chewed out for this last year) and don't laugh during the God Bless America video.
Will we need to bring a book bag, laptop or notebooks?

Hey everyone,

Looking into this program, but don't have the MCAT for the entrance requirement (493 instead of 495). I received an interview to the DO program last year tho through the AIS. I was wondering if we could use that for our acceptance into the postbacc as well as acceptance into the medical school class the following year if we get the 3.0 in the program. I remember browsing the forums last year and they said anyone with a 3.0 in the program is guaranteed an interview and "basically" accepted to the program. I was wondering if any of that has changed.

Hey everyone,

Looking into this program, but don't have the MCAT for the entrance requirement (493 instead of 495). I received an interview to the DO program last year tho through the AIS. I was wondering if we could use that for our acceptance into the postbacc as well as acceptance into the medical school class the following year if we get the 3.0 in the program. I remember browsing the forums last year and they said anyone with a 3.0 in the program is guaranteed an interview and "basically" accepted to the program. I was wondering if any of that has changed.

So I got accepted into LECOM's Post Bacc in Erie, PA (that awards you a certificate and better odds) and LECOM's Master's in Medical Science program in Bradenton, FL (which is a brand new one-year master's degree that also guarantee's you an interview if you maintain a 3.0 in the program). I started at the MMS in June and did 4 weeks prior to being accepted to medical school elsewhere. I also had a 493 MCAT, and for the MMS program they said I would just need to get a 3.2 in their program rather than a 3.0, and I wouldn't need to retake the MCAT. My friends in the program seem to be doing well. This doesn't answer your question, but it's information to consider. Good luck!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the post bacc at Erie. You DO NOT need an MCAT score for acceptance into the DO program if you are accepted with your AIS into the post bacc. Once you're in the program, all you have to do is get the 3.0 (and not act like an idiot) and you're pretty much guaranteed in MS1 the following fall. I used my MCAT score to get in here, but my roommate never even took it and he's tops in our class.

I think you do need an mcat score above 40%. During the DO admission session, they stated that the latest score they are willing to accept is January 2017 Mcat.

I'm currently in the post bacc at Erie. You DO NOT need an MCAT score for acceptance into the DO program if you are accepted with your AIS into the post bacc. Once you're in the program, all you have to do is get the 3.0 (and not act like an idiot) and you're pretty much guaranteed in MS1 the following fall. I used my MCAT score to get in here, but my roommate never even took it and he's tops in our class.

How difficult is the program vs undergrad? Vs the actual MS1 year?

Just talked with Mr. Murphy. Helpful guy.

He said that anyone who receives a 3.0 in the program and has a successful interview, barring any sort of inappropriate outside classroom activities, gets into the Fall class of next year.

He also mentioned that only 60% of the students matriculated into LECOM's program. I assume that the other 30% got into different schools and or professions.

You CAN use the AIS score. Thank goodness. Looks like LECOM is my school. Its probably the best deal anyone in a low MCAT situation is going to get.

How difficult is the program vs undergrad? Vs the actual MS1 year?

I can't speak for MS1 because I am in post bacc, though I have talked to many of them who did the post bacc, and they said it the basically the same material and difficulty. MS1 students who came from post bacc typically end up at the top of their class because it's their second time through. A lot of similarities in exams, and the same professors teaching the same stuff, so if you make it through post bacc, you'll for sure make it through med school (I suppose that's the point though).

As far as it compared to undergrad, not even close. In undergrad, you can just pay attention in lecture, study the night before, and get As on the exam. This is a much faster-paced program. In the fall, you take 7 classes: Physiology, Biochem, Cell Bio, Histology, Genetics, Microbiology, & Critical Thinking. You have class M-F from 2-6, and on top of that, you have to study probably a good 5-7 hrs per day on top of that. On weekends, it's more like 8-10 hours. Not everyone can do it, but it's definitely doable. That's actually why it's only 60% that get in. It's only November, and we're down to less than 150 (started with 170). That being said, by the time it's all over, if you get the 3.0, and don't completely screw up as a member of the community or during the interview, you will for sure be accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you all think about the aamc practice test 2, that was just released?

I am also in this years post bacc program (your class). How do you know the ranking system of our class. just curious...

Hey, do guys happen to have any information for the dental track students? I know they also have to get over a 3.0, but is it more difficult to get in even after they have the interview?

I am also in this years post bacc program (your class). How do you know the ranking system of our class. just curious...

I don't know the ranking system (although there definitely is one). I'm just pretty sure no one has better grades than him. I think his lowest is 97 or 98%.

Hey, do guys happen to have any information for the dental track students? I know they also have to get over a 3.0, but is it more difficult to get in even after they have the interview?

I don't know about how difficult it would be post-interview, but I do know that the interview is not in-person. I think it is via skype with instructors from the Bradenton campus.

I don't know about how difficult it would be post-interview, but I do know that the interview is not in-person. I think it is via skype with instructors from the Bradenton campus.

Oh that's interesting. I heard that they may be saving seats for both the dental and medical track students, but I can't get a concrete answer.

Oh that's interesting. I heard that they may be saving seats for both the dental and medical track students, but I can't get a concrete answer.

They told us they save seats for both. The only difference is the seats they save for dental are all at Bradenton, whereas they save seats at all three campuses for medical (mostly Erie).

Does this program offer better linkage than the MS?

Also, this program takes the AIS score right?

I can't attest for the MS linkage, but basically if you get the 3.0 in the post bacc, show up to class on time, and have a good interview, you are "guaranteed" a seat the next year.

I went thru Postbac to LECOM, now a 4th year, done with interviews and waiting for match and graduation.

Time sure does fly!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This does take the AIS.
The MS program doesn't really have linkage (Although, there was a girl who did the MS first and then post-bacc). I don't think you would choose MS if you wanted to get into the medical school.

I can't attest for the MS linkage, but basically if you get the 3.0 in the post bacc, show up to class on time, and have a good interview, you are "guaranteed" a seat the next year.
They only guarantee an interview, not a seat. But, as you said, you get a 3.0 and give them no reason to not accept you, then your golden.

So there are 2 different Master programs. One is 2 years up in Erie, I forgot the exact name and the other is down in Bradenton, FL called Master of Medical Science. That one, Master of Medical Science is 1 year program with no thesis. I believe 38 credits and the conditions are the same as the post bac (get 3.0 or better after fall semester and you'll have a interview at one of LECOM's professional school). Now how good the linkage is up in the area because this is the first year of the program. The one in Erie doesn't have that condition from what I've read.

If anyone has more accurate information, feel free to correct me.