LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If one were to start the post bacc this September 2016, would they be eligible to start DO School in September 2017?

Members don't see this ad.

If one were to start the post bacc this September 2016, would they be eligible to start DO School in September 2017?
Yes - with a successful interview after a 3.0 GPA / min MCAT have been acquired

Yes - with a successful interview after a 3.0 GPA / min MCAT have been acquired
Nice Chelsea FAN, this season has gone horrid next season will be better.

How do you know students will be eligible to enter the DO program? I only ask because other DO programs accept students for the following year, after completing post bacc. For example, if you start the post bacc this Sept 2016 and finish mid 2017, you'll be eligible to enroll in the DO program for Fall 2018.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice Chelsea FAN, this season has gone horrid next season will be better.

How do you know students will be eligible to enter the DO program? I only ask because other DO programs accept students for the following year, after completing post bacc. For example, if you start the post bacc this Sept 2016 and finish mid 2017, you'll be eligible to enroll in the DO program for Fall 2018.

I think it comes down to if you apply this may for fall 2017 while starting the program. I've read, and heard about students getting interview invites after having a "stellar" gpa from the first semester of this post-bacc program. I believe that applies to other DO schools as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I am curious what anyone thinks about the usefulness of this post-bacc compared to others in applying to both MD and DO schools after completing it? Does anyone know of people who got into schools outside of LECOM after doing the program?
Older threads suggest that some have made it outside. But from your GPA and MCAT you might have a good shot at MD schools after this program, especially if you have a good personal statement explaining yourself.

Older threads suggest that some have made it outside. But from your GPA and MCAT you might have a good shot at MD schools after this program, especially if you have a good personal statement explaining yourself.
Thank you! It is exciting to have a new path open up and all of the things that could come from it.

I think you could try applying later in the upcoming cycle, in December for outside programs using the first semester of this post-bac in your app, if you want to attend schools other than LECOM in Fall 2017. Otherwise if you want the full program grade (and I assume their recommendation) you have to apply in like June of 2017 for entry in Fall 2018. DO schools have later deadlines so it might be a better chance if you apply in December of this year with one semester done than for MD schools.

Why exactly are some people hesitant to go LECOM med school? Is it because of some of the unfair rules (no water/food in areas, dress code, attendance, etc.) I figured b/c of the relative low tuition and room/board in the area it would actually be advantageous to go to the med school. I'm genuinely curious since I'm strongly considering this program.

Btw thanks to @MBH0421 and @Nevadatim89 for responding to my previous question. To answer @Nevadatim89 question, I'm on my 2nd gap year and I haven't received any interviews this cycle and I don't want to be in another year in this state of limbo that I feel that I'm in. At least if I do well in this program, I know I'll be going to med school.

Looking through older threads about the program I've seen a few people talk about applying to other DO schools because they aren't a fan of LECOM once they get there. From what I've read it seems possible to do. I'm not sure about MD schools though.
I'm thinking that a, let's say a 3.2 GPA, in this program will not really help you get in elsewhere. However a 4.0 probably would.

If you want to go elsewhere after program, you will have to wait another year. Do you really want to do that? If I do this program, I will def be attending LECOM unless I get love elsewhere while doing this program.
Btw thanks to @MBH0421 and @Nevadatim89 for responding to my previous question. To answer @Nevadatim89 question, I'm on my 2nd gap year and I haven't received any interviews this cycle and I don't want to be in another year in this state of limbo that I feel that I'm in. At least if I do well in this program, I know I'll be going to med school.
What are your stats that made you unsuccessful in in 2 cycles?

@adrian710 Actually it's my 1st cycle but 2nd gap year. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited:
What is the average gpa of acceptance into this program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
@adrian710 Actually it's my 1st cycle but 2nd gap year. Sorry about the confusion.

sGPA/cGPA, around 3.3
mcat, 498

My ECs: clinical research: about 800 hours

volunteering at a church: about 200 hours

ophthalmology tech: over 1,100 hours

shadowing: about 150 hours

Not a URM, but was told that I have interesting story. I also did shadow a DO and got a DO letter.
Mmm well to be honest, I'm not surprised you didn't get any love. GPA is slightly under average. MCAT is too low. I would say need AT LEAST a 500 to get a look at lower tier DO schools. Also, your EC's are weak in terms of leaderships, clubs, etc.

I would def retake MCAT and maybe get involved in a leadership role somehow.

Good luck.

@Adrian he's about .1 under the average gpa though

Jamie emailed me and told me that I will have a decision after my MCAT score comes in.

I guess my ACT score was not sufficient to fully admit me...

Anyone else encounter this situation?

Yes I got that same email Adrain. I figure it's better than a rejection

Yes I got that same email Adrain. I figure it's better than a rejection

I have clarified it with someone and they said that it's bc GPA + ACT did not reach AIS needed for admission.

When is your MCAT?

Jamie emailed me and told me that I will have a decision after my MCAT score comes in.

I guess my ACT score was not sufficient to fully admit me...

Anyone else encounter this situation?

I was told I'll be reviewed when my new DAT score comes in (I'm dental) and I'll be taking mine on April 20th... hopefully that isn't too late :/

I have clarified it with someone and they said that it's bc GPA + ACT did not reach AIS needed for admission.

When is your MCAT?

My mcat is April 23rd. How do you know that's the case? We may have not met the required AIS for the med school but that probably isn't the same for the post bacc. They probably just want an mcat score to know we have the sufficient admissions into the actual med school. Right?

My mcat is April 23rd. How do you know that's the case? We may have not met the required AIS for the med school but that probably isn't the same for the post bacc. They probably just want an mcat score to know we have the sufficient admissions into the actual med school. Right?

No. I spoke to Jamie.

Did he say what the AIS cut off for post bacc is? The med school is 115...

There is a calculator on their website. We obiosiudly we made the cut off as we haven't been rejected so basically were good if we hit the mcat score. That's how I think of it

Hey, maybe a silly question.
How do you submit the MCAT scores to the program?

Hey, maybe a silly question.
How do you submit the MCAT scores to the program?
Login to MCAT scores on AAMC site and go to send report and choose Lake Erie college of osteopathic medicine

Yes - my AIS must have not made cut so MCAT is needed

I'm also studying for the April mcat. We can make a study group if you want. I hear it's extremely beneficial

Yes - my AIS must have not made cut so MCAT is needed

Adrian, if you wouldn't mind sharing what your AIS score was on the LECOM calculator. I am finishing my essay today then sending in my app with just my AIS. I am also in the same situation with the AIS and MCAT. I do not take my MCAT until April 23rd which I am planning to postpone due to being chief scribe for scribeamerica and trying to graduate all at the same time. I have explained this situation to Jaime and he said that I should just apply with AIS now. So we will see... I am just curious what your AIS score was.

There is a calculator on their website. We obiosiudly we made the cut off as we haven't been rejected so basically were good if we hit the mcat score. That's how I think of it

Would you mind sharing you AIS score?

Adrian, if you wouldn't mind sharing what your AIS score was on the LECOM calculator. I am finishing my essay today then sending in my app with just my AIS. I am also in the same situation with the AIS and MCAT. I do not take my MCAT until April 23rd which I am planning to postpone due to being chief scribe for scribeamerica and trying to graduate all at the same time. I have explained this situation to Jaime and he said that I should just apply with AIS now. So we will see... I am just curious what your AIS score was.
108 AIS. Apparently they like to see 110 or higher. Damn, so close haha.

Honestly, I wanted this as a back up. My MCAT scoring has been 510+ and I may not even end up submitting to the program and end up just applying to AACOMAS with such a solid MCAT score. We shall see.

Good luck to all!

Honestly, I wanted this as a back up. My MCAT scoring has been 510+ and I may not even end up submitting to the program and end up just applying to AACOMAS with such a solid MCAT score. We shall see.

Good luck to all!

Which practice test was the 510 from? I find Kaplan more difficult than others! 510 Is great. My AIS is low too. It's 8 yrs old though I don't see how an sat score can even moderately denote success in medical school or lack there of.

Good luck to all!

No way! I have exactly a 108 also. The thing is I have spoken to Jamie about this a ton. I am just going to be bummed out if I get that letter saying I need the MCAT. I just do not know how likely it will be that I can get my MCAT in within a good time frame. I will post the emails below between Jamie and I. I have bolded the things where it clearly shows we can get in with no MCAT but prior to matriculating into the DO program we need an MCAT. I do not understand why you are not getting accepted..

-----------------
Mr. Murphy,

I actually found the AIS calculator in the "DO" portion of LECOM's website. When I calculate my score it is showing a 108. Since I found this on the DO program portion of LECOM site, I am assuming 108 is the minimum for their program. Does this 108 eligible score apply to the post bacc program as well or is the score lower since it is a post baccalaureate program? Thanks again for your patience.

Sincerely,
Aaron
-------------------
Aaron,

We would like to see a 110 or above in order to enter the DO program. We can accept lower than that standard for Post Bac, but we would like to see an MCAT score prior to matriculating to the DO program.

Jamie
------------------
Mr. Murphy,

Thank you for the quick response. So like I said in the previous email my AIS score comes to a 108 currently. Do you think it would be wise to retake my ACT again (next available date to take it is April 9th which would postpone me applying to the Health Science Post Bacc) or should I apply now with my 108. I definitely plan on taking the MCAT before matriculating into the DO program, I am in biochemistry currently which is why I am unable to take it sooner. Thanks again for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Much thanks,
Aaron
------------------
Aaron

You cannot re-take the ACT. I would apply with the 108 and plan on re-taking the MCAT.

Jamie

sGPA/cGPA, around 3.3
mcat, 498

My ECs: clinical research: about 800 hours

volunteering at a church: about 200 hours

ophthalmology tech: over 1,100 hours

shadowing: about 150 hours

Not a URM, but was told that I have interesting story. I also did shadow a DO and got a DO letter.
Don't get discouraged for lack of leadership roles or EC like others pointed out. Your research, clinical hours as a tech makes up for it. I know more than half a dozen classmates that got accepted into med school with absolutely no involvement in any ECs and only meeting the minimum req gpa/MCAT.

Which practice test was the 510 from? I find Kaplan more difficult than others! 510 Is great. My AIS is low too. It's 8 yrs old though I don't see how an sat score can even moderately denote success in medical school or lack there of.

I've taken 2 AAMC, several Princeton, and a couple Kaplan. Scoring range from 506 - 512. Been studying for 3-4 months so far with EK and Princeton books and a private tutor.

No way! I have exactly a 108 also. The thing is I have spoken to Jamie about this a ton. I am just going to be bummed out if I get that letter saying I need the MCAT. I just do not know how likely it will be that I can get my MCAT in within a good time frame. I will post the emails below between Jamie and I. I have bolded the things where it clearly shows we can get in with no MCAT but prior to matriculating into the DO program we need an MCAT. I do not understand why you are not getting accepted..

-----------------
Mr. Murphy,

I actually found the AIS calculator in the "DO" portion of LECOM's website. When I calculate my score it is showing a 108. Since I found this on the DO program portion of LECOM site, I am assuming 108 is the minimum for their program. Does this 108 eligible score apply to the post bacc program as well or is the score lower since it is a post baccalaureate program? Thanks again for your patience.

Sincerely,
Aaron
-------------------
Aaron,

We would like to see a 110 or above in order to enter the DO program. We can accept lower than that standard for Post Bac, but we would like to see an MCAT score prior to matriculating to the DO program.

Jamie
------------------
Mr. Murphy,

Thank you for the quick response. So like I said in the previous email my AIS score comes to a 108 currently. Do you think it would be wise to retake my ACT again (next available date to take it is April 9th which would postpone me applying to the Health Science Post Bacc) or should I apply now with my 108. I definitely plan on taking the MCAT before matriculating into the DO program, I am in biochemistry currently which is why I am unable to take it sooner. Thanks again for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Much thanks,
Aaron
------------------
Aaron

You cannot re-take the ACT. I would apply with the 108 and plan on re-taking the MCAT.

Jamie
Yeah I mean obviously you need to take MCAT eventually for med school matriculation

Yeah I mean obviously you need to take MCAT eventually for med school matriculation
Don't get discouraged for lack of leadership roles or EC like others pointed out. Your research, clinical hours as a tech makes up for it. I know more than half a dozen classmates that got accepted into med school with absolutely no involvement in any ECs and only meeting the minimum req gpa/MCAT.
That's not the attitude you should be pushing him to. He should continue to get EC's and preferably those he has not yet. DO schools especially wanted the "well rounded" student. EC's are 1/3 of overall app, don't forget.

That's not the attitude you should be pushing him to. He should continue to get EC's and preferably those he has not yet. DO schools especially wanted the "well rounded" student. EC's are 1/3 of overall app, don't forget.
True, I see your point. But incase he's already graduated undergrad, and not enrolled in classes at the moment there's no way to get involved in clubs/orgs or securing leadership roles in these clubs/orgs..... They look at the application as whole, and not checkmark boxes for EC/Leadership in EC. You do make a valid point though!

If you have an AIS that is above the LECOM DO program requirements, is it possible to matriculate from the postbac to the DO program without taking the MCAT? From their website "Applicants who took the MCAT and are not using the AIS must score in the 40th percentile or higher to matriculate from the post bacc to the DO program"

If you have an AIS that is above the LECOM DO program requirements, is it possible to matriculate from the postbac to the DO program without taking the MCAT? From their website "Applicants who took the MCAT and are not using the AIS must score in the 40th percentile or higher to matriculate from the post bacc to the DO program"
"If you have an AIS meeting the requirement - the MCAT requirement will be waived." - Jamie Murphy

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

In all honesty is the private tutoring nice? I wish I had that as well as I have so many unanswered questions

How long after portal changes to under review did you guys get decisions?

For me it took about a week, then it changed to "a decision has been made on your application", then another week til I actually received the letter.

I believe so but not sure
Mine has been under review for months. I was told my MCAT is needed instead of AIS via email but pretty sure the portal still says under review.

In all honesty is the private tutoring nice? I wish I had that as well as I have so many unanswered questions

Private tutoring is the way to go although my parents are dropping some serious stacks on it. I took a Princeton class and thought it really wasn't much help.

I've taken 2 AAMC, several Princeton, and a couple Kaplan. Scoring range from 506 - 512. Been studying for 3-4 months so far with EK and Princeton books and a private tutor.

You're going to do really well. I only used Kaplan and AAMC but that's about where I was, and I scored 510+.

When is your test date?

For me it took about a week, then it changed to "a decision has been made on your application", then another week til I actually received the letter.

Mine got complete last Wednesday and tomorrow will be 1 week from when it changed to "under review". I hope they make a decision very soon for me.