Left handed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rm3042

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'll be starting dental school in September and was wondering if there are any left handed dentists/ dental students out there? I know to this is a strange question, but if you're left handed you know what I'm talking about. Can you let me know some of the issues you've come across, so I can begin working on them? Thanks, R!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are 7 or 8 left handers in my class. The school does their best to accommodate them. Most of the chairs/units are ambidextrous .

Like THS said, dental school shouldn't be a problem since a lot of schools utilize chairs that can be for both left and right handers. I think what makes it hard is when you're an actual dentist because assistants aren't use to assisting left handers so it's a bit weird/difficult for them. Also, unless you start up your own practice you'll probably be stuck using chairs that are meant for right handed dentists. This sucks because there will be cords all over the place! I know a lot of left handed dentists and have experienced this first hand. I'm also left handed and will be starting school this Fall so I completely understand your concern. I think it's awesome because there's not too many of us! Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obligatory left-hander check in here!

Reactions: 1 users
In school left handers had it made...at least in hygiene school...the got the best operatories...the ones on the end so you only had one neighbor. Made me with I was left handed.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly it makes very little difference. The arms on most chairs can be pulled to either side. Your assistant will get used to it very quickly or they are not a good assistant.

:thumbup:Lefties unite! :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
I appreciate the great opinions and advice here! I don't usually think much about being left handed, but where my career depends on my hands and assistants, it's something I've been thinking a lot about recently! Ps. Lefties rock! Good luck to everyone!!

I appreciate the great opinions and advice here! I don't usually think much about being left handed, but where my career depends on my hands and assistants, it's something I've been thinking a lot about recently! Ps. Lefties rock! Good luck to everyone!!

Hire a lefty assistant. Be double weird or normal. Give it a try and let us know which.
LoL

Any legends of ambidextrous dentists who try to do it both ways to ease some of the lifetime strain on their neck?

Recently I've been doing physical therapy to ease some neck problems (exacerbated in part by shadowing dentists). X-ray shows my neck kinda curved to the right---probably tension not scoliosis, but I'm a tad worried about my present professional plans. My parents and both siblings all have neck problems.

Any legends of ambidextrous dentists who try to do it both ways to ease some of the lifetime strain on their neck?

Recently I've been doing physical therapy to ease some neck problems (exacerbated in part by shadowing dentists). X-ray shows my neck kinda curved to the right---probably tension not scoliosis, but I'm a tad worried about my present professional plans. My parents and both siblings all have neck problems.

you're doomed. go to pharmacy school.

you're doomed. go to pharmacy school.
I wouldn't say I'm quite at that point, but it has definitely become a serious concern. I just started therapy---we'll see what progress there is to be made. But seriously the other night I couldn't even turn in bed without using my hands to bring my head along with me. Otherwise the pain was excruciating.

A buddy of mine who's an older applicant with cystic fibrosis was recently admonished by his doctor to reconsider his plans to become a surgeon----now he's looking into pharmacy school. Would be funny to happen to both of us at the same time.

One of my smart ass friends just told me 'switch hands' if you catch my drift. Heck, maybe he's right.

Just another unexpected twist in life, pun intended.

I wouldn't say I'm quite at that point, but it has definitely become a serious concern. I just started therapy---we'll see what progress there is to be made. But seriously the other night I couldn't even turn in bed without using my hands to bring my head along with me. Otherwise the pain was excruciating.

A buddy of mine who's an older applicant with cystic fibrosis was recently admonished by his doctor to reconsider his plans to become a surgeon----now he's looking into pharmacy school. Would be funny to happen to both of us at the same time.

One of my smart ass friends just told me 'switch hands' if you catch my drift. Heck, maybe he's right.

Just another unexpected twist in life, pun intended.

i was only kidding.
but keep doing therapy. i too worry about my back too because i have occasional back spasm/sciatica.

At least you know which hand is your dominant one... I'm 21 years old, and I still haven't figured it out. :(

edit

Last edited:
Maybe a far fetch, but any legends of dentists being able to learn procedures with both left and right hands? A previous comment was similar but I didn't see an answer.

Right hander reporting here. Looking forward to living 7 years longer than most of you

Maybe a far fetch, but any legends of dentists being able to learn procedures with both left and right hands? A previous comment was similar but I didn't see an answer.

It is definitely possible to learn to do procedures with both hands. I'm a leftie, when I started dental school I had many of the concerns others shared about being a leftie dentist so during the preclinical years, I trained myself to do everything with my right hand. When I started seeing patients in the clinic, I realized that being a left handed dentist wasn't as inconvenient as I thought it would be so I switched back to doing left handed dentistry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't know man, dentistry is not easy.....learning to cut preps with your non-dominant hand would be next to impossible given the time constraints of dental school. Anything is possible if you work hard enough but it would be extremely difficult. That and you would better have a really good explanation to give your faculty when they see you switching hands doing procedures!