Leftover Academic Funds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSwede

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
basically have about $250 left to spend.

Any books, etc... that you might recommend snatching before leaving fellowship?

Exceptions include hardware/software, license fees, travel expenses
(no need to use for boards)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the SIS book actually. I was fortunate enough to get it paid for during residency.

I may buy a book on neuromodulation or ultrasound, then circle back and see if I have money left for the billing/coding book.

lots of great books floating around on PDF as well...

basically have about $250 left to spend.

Any books, etc... that you might recommend snatching before leaving fellowship?

Exceptions include hardware/software, license fees, travel expenses
(no need to use for boards)
AMA 6th edition disability guidelines....very Boring read but necessary.

If you are allowed to buy equipment; how about a good stethoscope (Littmann Master Classic II stethoscope).......really comes in handy post-ICNB if the patient starts to c/o shortness of breath ;>)

Also, a good reflex hammer (Queen's square).

Regards and Congratulations!

I prefer a Tromner hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Good suggestions, but I already have a Tromner and a nice Littman.

However, the lead glasses sounds like an interesting choice. Any recs on that? or just google it?

If you are allowed to buy equipment; how about a good stethoscope (Littmann Master Classic II stethoscope).......really comes in handy post-ICNB if the patient starts to c/o shortness of breath ;>)

Also, a good reflex hammer (Queen's square).

Regards and Congratulations!

Thanks! (sorry, forgot that in my post above)

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly recommend this vendor and their try before you buy program. Can't determine comfort from a photo. They will ship you up to three pairs to try. I found the microlite plus to be most comfortable. Also come in prescription and bifocal but bifocals weigh much more than their plain glasses. They have Nike, etc. http://www.barrieronline.com/radiation/microlite_radiation_eyewear.php

Current sale

DISCOUNT OFFER: 25% OFF

USE PROMOTION CODE: NEW16

(excludes all other promotions/discounts/shipping/tax)

Order Now! Offer expires 06/30/2016

Got mine from barrier in the past and was very happy with their service and product.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree with the glasses. Or maybe membership to an organization like sis or asipp or nans. It's getting very easy to find information and images online without lugging books around. I would personally rather have nothing than another book.

Yeah, I looked at the glasses and decided on a pair. I submitted the request to my department, so we'll see on Monday their thoughts :)

My cheap Philips pair I got from Amazon finally broke so I ordered a pair of the Nike Brazen frames from here. 5 out of the 6 IR fellows have them at my hospital so we'll see if they live up to the hype when they get here Monday.

Highly recommend this vendor and their try before you buy program. Can't determine comfort from a photo. They will ship you up to three pairs to try. I found the microlite plus to be most comfortable. Also come in prescription and bifocal but bifocals weigh much more than their plain glasses. They have Nike, etc. http://www.barrieronline.com/radiation/microlite_radiation_eyewear.php

Current sale

DISCOUNT OFFER: 25% OFF

USE PROMOTION CODE: NEW16

(excludes all other promotions/discounts/shipping/tax)

Order Now! Offer expires 06/30/2016

This is the company all of the IR guys went through. Said amazing customer service and the try before you buy is great but it's only on certain frames (no Nike). I paid for mine out of pocket so I went with the cheaper option above.

I liked the look of the Nike brazen frames, but it exceeded my budget. Therefore went with the midnight blue MX8 with anti-fog. Fingers crossed they get approved!

I have a pair of the nikes and have been very happy.
ImageUploadedBySDN1463352851.011902.jpg

A lot of people get the microlites from the barrieronline website with the discount code.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

i use this one. the patients know better than to interrupt me while im doing the injection....

toa34ritsid017.jpg.w300h385.jpg

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Got the Nike Brazen frames in this week and have been using them for the past 3 days. Awesome. Definitely exceeded expectations. Don't slip when I'm looking down, fog less than my previous pair, and most impressive of all- make me look less dorky. Came with a Nike hard case, Nike cloth bag, and a microfiber cleaning cloth despite the site's description saying it came with nothing.

My Nike glasses broke in a week... I thought they were sweet looking but low quality .