Legality of NP/PA writing RX for covering Physician (Illinois)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so in IL NP's/PA's must work under a DO/MD (although this can be extremely loosely done, where the reality is the NP/PA is working completely independently, even though on paper they aren't.) IL has a new law, that DO's/MD's can no longer prescribe controlled prescriptions for themselves or their immediate family members.

So, what is the legality of a NP/PA writing a CII prescription for their covering DO/MD employer? This seems to me to go against the intent of the law, even if the law didn't specifically address it.

Yeah, I saw such a script, I successfully deferred it to the next shift (hey, who wouldn't do that on a PRN shift?)

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so in IL NP's/PA's must work under a DO/MD (although this can be extremely loosely done, where the reality is the NP/PA is working completely independently, even though on paper they aren't.) IL has a new law, that DO's/MD's can no longer prescribe controlled prescriptions for themselves or their immediate family members.

So, what is the legality of a NP/PA writing a CII prescription for their covering DO/MD employer? This seems to me to go against the intent of the law, even if the law didn't specifically address it.

Yeah, I saw such a script, I successfully deferred it to the next shift (hey, who wouldn't do that on a PRN shift?)

I really don't see a problem at all.

If there IS a problem, it shouldn't matter if it was a CII or amoxicillin.

I really don't see a problem at all.

If there IS a problem, it shouldn't matter if it was a CII or amoxicillin.

If there was a problem legally, the schedule would matter. DO's/MD's in IL can write for any non controlled drug for themselves or their family members, they are not allowed to write controlled RX's for themselves or family members.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't fill it. We have it easy in Texas because only physicians can write for C2s but if you're in a state where midlevels must have a collaborating physicians then their name would have to be on the prescription for it to be legal, right? You have to know they're not practicing independently so they would essentially be writing for themselves. We don't allow our midlevels to do that at our health system so take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: 1 user
The MLP writing for their supervising physician is the same thing as the physician writing their own Rx.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd probably just ask them to have a different physician in the office write it, especially if it were a monthly script.