Length of Job Accreditation Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouISee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After someone offers you a position, how long is the process for getting certified or accredited with the hospital?

I hear there is a lot of paperwork (besides the contract itself), lab tests (TB, urine, blah, blah), and even some stupid HR courses sometimes. That sounds like a lot of stuff to be doing while being a fellow.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

After someone offers you a position, how long is the process for getting certified or accredited with the hospital?

I hear there is a lot of paperwork (besides the contract itself), lab tests (TB, urine, blah, blah), and even some stupid HR courses sometimes. That sounds like a lot of stuff to be doing while being a fellow.

It was a lot of **** I had to do as a resident just to become a fellow, so I guess I expect nothing less as an attending, especially if I will be rotating at multiple hospitals.

It takes time, but much less if your first job. It's not bad.

Now Medicare sign-up, good grief. Maybe things have changed, but it took 9 months before I got paid for my first Medicare patient as a practitioner.

Members don't see this ad :)
takes about 3 months to get your privleges, 2 if you're really on top of your game

Depends on how large the hospital/hospital system is.

As others stated, count on 3 months to get credendialing. Some places can get you temporary credentials within 3-4 weeks. But those are smaller hospital.

I started out a territory medical center. 900 bed plus. I originally got temporarily privileges right out of residency. But it took a full 4 months to get full active privileges.