Length of Neurosurgery Programs Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FatKid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to VISA issues, I will only have a TOTAL of 7 years to train in the US once I am done medical school. I am currently a med student at a US school.

I have heard some Neurosurgery programs are 8 years in total (including the PGY-1 intern), which I would be ineligible for.

Basically, I am looking for a list of intern+neurosurgery programs that are a total of 7 years (including PGY-1 intern).

If anyone has this kind of information, that would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Due to VISA issues, I will only have a TOTAL of 7 years to train in the US once I am done medical school. I am currently a med student at a US school.

I have heard some Neurosurgery programs are 8 years in total (including the PGY-1 intern), which I would be ineligible for.

Basically, I am looking for a list of intern+neurosurgery programs that are a total of 7 years (including PGY-1 intern).

The only school that is eight years that I know of is UW in Seattle. There may be more.

Conversely, some programs are only six years, I believe.

Hi Rising Sun,

Those 6 year programs would be great for me due to my VISA issues.

Does anyone know where I could get some information about where these programs are located?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Rising Sun,

Those 6 year programs would be great for me due to my VISA issues.

Does anyone know where I could get some information about where these programs are located?

You are a med student and you don't know where to find out basic information like this?

I have seen several out there, one in Chicago I believe, though I don't remeber the affiliation. You will just have to do a little bit of work here and search through some.

https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do

check this site...ERAS. (google it).then go to participatin specialities n program..click speciality u want...clik on the university name...try finding ur ans....Good luckk...

Hi all,

Wait I don't understand...you mean you only have 7 years to train, or you only have 7 years to stay in the U.S.? I.e. are you planning to practice in the U.S.? If not, I would suggest training wherever you're planning to practice to make that simpler. Plus the point of U.S. residency training programs is to train doctors for the U.S., not for foreign countries (there's lots of qualified Americans who will be paid in American tax dollars because the government is trying to provide the populace with doctors in America). I don't mean to sound xenophobic, but I think in this case we need to favor U.S. grads who plan on practicing in the U.S.

Just a perspective to consider.