Lesions Causing Hearing Loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan neuroanatomy says:

1. Lesions of the cochlear part of the eighth nerve or cochlear nuclei inside the brain stem at the pontomedullary junction result in a profound unilateral sensorineural hearing loss.

2. All other lesions to auditory structures in the brain stem, thalamus, or cortex result in a bilateral suppression of hearing and a decreased ability to localize a sound source.

So 1 makes sense. I get that.

But 2 isn't really intuitive to me. Why is it bilateral suppression not unilateral or bilateral hearing loss?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan neuroanatomy says:

1. Lesions of the cochlear part of the eighth nerve or cochlear nuclei inside the brain stem at the pontomedullary junction result in a profound unilateral sensorineural hearing loss.

2. All other lesions to auditory structures in the brain stem, thalamus, or cortex result in a bilateral suppression of hearing and a decreased ability to localize a sound source.

So 1 makes sense. I get that.

But 2 isn't really intuitive to me. Why is it bilateral suppression not unilateral or bilateral hearing loss?
Probably because once it gets to the pontomedullary jnction it divides and ascends bilaterally on its way to the MGN and auditory association centers