Less competitive clinical health schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

int2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wonderful people ,

I am sure we all want to play safe by applying to some less competitive schools too . I am looking for help if some one can share a list they made or are aware of such schools .

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

clinical health programs are clinical programs and ALL are competitive. The ratio of apps to slots/acceptances is higher at some than others of course, but the standards/bar for competitiveness does not vary much across programs.

Reactions: 1 users
As a general rule of thumb, programs is less geographically-desirable locations (e.g., rural, away from the coasts, etc.) will probably receive fewer applications than do schools in major cities. University of Southern Mississippi and UAB (Birmingham), for example, seem to have great health psych-oriented opportunities, but aren't located in national "hot spots." Although as erg mentioned, funded programs are going to be competitive regardless, so both places will still be tough acceptance-wise.

But it's good that you're wanting to look at a variety of programs, as doing so generally seems to increase folks' chances of gaining some interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding to the list of not-super-desirable locations that have clinical health training opportunities, check out the University of North Texas and University of Arkansas.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank You guys! for help.I know , how competitive the clinical programs are , but just wanted to feel safe applying to some which are not crazy competitive.

I would love for you to consider adding Mississippi State University to your list. The caveat I will mention from the get-go is that we are not yet APA accredited because we are too new of a program. That said, we have our first cohort applying for match this year, and as long as that process goes well we hope to submit our self-study in February. Thus, although we are not yet accredited we are quite far along in working toward accreditation, and we are committed to applying the very second we are eligible to do so.

We have several faculty members that do health psych research. In particular Dr. Kristina Hood http://www.psychology.msstate.edu/people/staff.php?id=723&itk=cb0ca2c742c40a85a9f1a6b27c25ef71 works broadly in health psychology and Dr. Michael Nadorff does work in sleep medicine http://www.psychology.msstate.edu/people/staff.php?id=730&itk=3941f1171e532646a52260c28e9729fb.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone has about Mississippi State University. Full disclosure, I am connected to the program there.

Another program I would add to the list, though it is quite selective: University of Alabama. Dr. Kevin Larkin at West Virginia University also does health psychology research and is a tremendous mentor.

As a general rule of thumb, programs is less geographically-desirable locations (e.g., rural, away from the coasts, etc.) will probably receive fewer applications than do schools in major cities.

I've never been convinced of this. I think places in highly desirable locations get lots of applications, but a very substantial proportion are from people who just want to live near a beach or something, and are not top applicants. At less desirable locations you get fewer applicants, but I bet more are people who are competitive and want to go there.

I've never been convinced of this. I think places in highly desirable locations get lots of applications, but a very substantial proportion are from people who just want to live near a beach or something, and are not top applicants. At less desirable locations you get fewer applicants, but I bet more are people who are competitive and want to go there.

Although the same could also be true for more rural schools (to a relative degree)--that folks from the area who don't want to leave (e.g., "I was born here and I'm going to die here") apply to those programs and few, if any, others.

I'd honestly be very interested to know the breakdown of competitive vs. non-competitive application ratios across various programs. I'd still be willing to bet that those programs in less-desirable locations receive fewer competitive applications, and/or that the more-desirable locations receive apps from the "crème de la crème" who don't apply to programs in undesirable locations.

That's all just a complete guess on my part, though.

Although the same could also be true for more rural schools (to a relative degree)--that folks from the area who don't want to leave (e.g., "I was born here and I'm going to die here") apply to those programs and few, if any, others.

I'd honestly be very interested to know the breakdown of competitive vs. non-competitive application ratios across various programs. I'd still be willing to bet that those programs in less-desirable locations receive fewer competitive applications, and/or that the more-desirable locations receive apps from the "crème de la crème" who don't apply to programs in undesirable locations.

That's all just a complete guess on my part, though.
So how to decide? :(

Just go with places that will offer solid training that coincide with what your career goals are. Easy.

Yep, and apply to a decent number of programs (e.g., 12-15) spread across a variety of geographical locations, if you're able to do so.

Adding to the list of not-super-desirable locations that have clinical health training opportunities, check out the University of North Texas ....

As a native Fort Worthian, UNT has a good rep. for a "non brand name" school. Good osteopathic med school and although denton is a trash heap, FW is a really really cool city. Great museums. Excellent downtown. Good music. "College" life feel in certain parts, if that's what you desire.

If the right opportunity existed, I'd move there asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, the other thing to do is look for the best match possible within a subset of health psych. So whether its smoking cessation, primary care, psycho-oncology, bariatrics, etc.. figure out what place is doing what you want the most of (as well as giving you the best general experience) and that you are the best fit for.

Yep, and apply to a decent number of programs (e.g., 12-15) spread across a variety of geographical locations, if you're able to do so.
Thank you for suggestions dear .
On a different note , how can I ask the persons I am excited to get LOR from to write 20 LORs for me . I plan to apply at least to 15 .

Thank you for suggestions dear .
On a different note , how can I ask the persons I am excited to get LOR from to write 20 LORs for me . I plan to apply at least to 15 .

Only ask them to write for as many as you are applying to. Many places will want them sent by the letter writer, and a good letter writer should tailor the letter to that place, or at the very least have the recipient's contact information in each letter.

I would imagine most professors are used to writing large numbers of rec letters, and they'll likely send the same or very similar letters to each program. Just ask if they're comfortable writing you a letter, let them know how many you'll need, given them plenty of time to complete it, provide them a nicely-organized list of all the programs and mailing (or email) addresses, and get them any additional forms that they may need to fill out for each program (e.g., a school-specific rating scale, etc.).

Edit: Oh, and as WisNeuro mentioned, only ask for as many as you'll need. It's a bit of a faux pas to ask to see the letter yourself, so as I mentioned above, just provide the writers with a list of where to send each letter and to whom it should be addressed.

I would imagine most professors are used to writing large numbers of rec letters, and they'll likely send the same or very similar letters to each program. Just ask if they're comfortable writing you a letter, let them know how many you'll need, given them plenty of time to complete it, provide them a nicely-organized list of all the programs and mailing (or email) addresses, and get them any additional forms that they may need to fill out for each program (e.g., a school-specific rating scale, etc.).

Edit: Oh, and as WisNeuro mentioned, only ask for as many as you'll need. It's a bit of a faux pas to ask to see the letter yourself, so as I mentioned above, just provide the writers with a list of where to send each letter and to whom it should be addressed.
Thank you , your suggestions helped .

Only ask them to write for as many as you are applying to. Many places will want them sent by the letter writer, and a good letter writer should tailor the letter to that place, or at the very least have the recipient's contact information in each letter.
Thank you for suggestions!

tempting, but I'd prefer to be in a medical facility or a fam med/sleep med not a psych department. My disdain for silly politics would not go over well in a traditional psych department. And yes, I recognize that there are politics everywhere.

Gotcha. One benefit of working in a medical setting is that it seems to be easier to stay on the sidelines of [some] politics. Your mileage may vary. :)

Gotcha. One benefit of working in a medical setting is that it seems to be easier to stay on the sidelines of [some] politics. Your mileage may vary. :)
exactly. And that's my personal philosophy. Aside from standing up for patient's rights, I am a go to work and stay out of it kind of person. It seems harder to do that in psych departments.

If you're close geographically to your letter writers, I'd give them stamped envelopes with the addresses already written. And a word doc of training directors and addresses so they can just copy and paste. They're doing you a favor; you want to make the process as quick and painless for them as possible.

If you're close geographically to your letter writers, I'd give them stamped envelopes with the addresses already written. And a word doc of training directors and addresses so they can just copy and paste. They're doing you a favor; you want to make the process as quick and painless for them as possible.
This is solid advice; I'll add one caveat: if any of your programs have moved to having online submissions for letters of rec, make sure it's easy for your letter writers to access. Nothing worse than them not getting the email from the school's site that tells them how to upload a LOR.

And of course, good luck!

Agree with everything above. You want to make the actual submission process itself as painless as possible, so the more information and assistance you can provide, the better. Pre-addressed and stamped envelopes for those programs still requiring mailed-in letters is a great suggestion.

Agree with everything above. You want to make the actual submission process itself as painless as possible, so the more information and assistance you can provide, the better. Pre-addressed and stamped envelopes for those programs still requiring mailed-in letters is a great suggestion.
Thank you , makes good sense .

And just to "pile on"... You might not be the only person for whom your letter writers are providing recommendations. In addition to other grad school hopefuls, your letter writer may also need to provide letters for internships, post-docs, med schools, faculty positions, other jobs, promotions, award nominations, and the list goes on. I always feel a mild "dread" every Oct-Dec when the letter requests start pouring in. Put your own requests in as soon as you can!

This board has done a great job of convincing me that the bottom-line admission rate for a program is not the only predictor of an individual's chances of admission to a program. Yet, I'm like you, OP, and I can't help but think in terms of more vs. less competitive- especially when trying to compile a list of programs for application season.

With no endorsement implied, two "less competitive" clinical health programs I've noticed are Eastern Tennessee State and Mercer (not yet APA-accredited).

It'd be fun to investigate this. Hypothetically, what would need to be measured? The GPA/GREs of all submitted applications to programs? Each program's difference between the average applicant's GPA/GRE and the average accepted applicant's GPA/GRE? The "fit" of an applicant would be harder to quantify- perhaps if an application failed to even mention the name of a potential mentor, then it would be coded as an non-competitive application?

Adding to the list of not-super-desirable locations that have clinical health training opportunities, check out the University of North Texas and University of Arkansas.
When I was last at UNT I was told their bmed program is on track to get discontinued and folded into clinical psyc proper. Someone should check to be sure

When I was last at UNT I was told their bmed program is on track to get discontinued and folded into clinical psyc proper. Someone should check to be sure

I have heard this as well. That said, although it wouldn't be a formal concentration, those faculty are still at UNT. Thus I think it would still be a good program to go to for clinical health.

I have heard this as well. That said, although it wouldn't be a formal concentration, those faculty are still at UNT. Thus I think it would still be a good program to go to for clinical health.
Yeah, but would be a whole lot more competitive in terms of applicants/accepted overnight

Yeah, but would be a whole lot more competitive in terms of applicants/accepted overnight

Yes and no. I can't argue with you that the clinical psych program isn't more selective, it is and has been for the last several years. That said, there are a lot of factors that go into admissions, including the number of applicants for that professor. Is there a reason to believe that any clinical health professor at UNT will receive more applicants now that they are affiliated with clinical as opposed to clinical health? I would doubt it. Thus, while the overall numbers look more selective, I don't know that it will be any harder to get into those professors labs, if that makes sense. It often isn't the top X students that are accepted, it depends on what labs have needs, who got a grant, etc. A lot is dependent upon the professor and the makeup of his or her lab.