Less payback time than expected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WernickeDO

Returning to the womb
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current GMO here, recipient of a 4 year HPSP scholarship. I graduated in 2013 and did my intern year. I expected my ETS date to be 2018, but my date on MEDPROS and my ORB reads 2017. I thought for sure that if I decided to do my time and GTFO it would be 2018. My current ETS date gives me 4 years in, but only 3 as AD. This is important, because it affects whether or not I apply for residency. My current billet expires in 2016,but if all I owe is one more year, then I will just do my time and get out. If I did in fact owe time until 2018, then I would choose to do residency, because I don't think I can handle being a GMO for that long, and I don't want to delay my medical training any more.

Has anyone else found that they appear to owe less time than they thought? Who should I talk to to determine what my true ADSO is?

Members don't see this ad.

You are active duty during your internship and pay back a year (without incurring educational training). Hence why you owe three years after your internship. That is my understanding so if it says 2017 on your ORB, this is correct.

You are active duty during your internship and pay back a year (without incurring educational training). Hence why you owe three years after your internship. That is my understanding so if it says 2017 on your ORB, this is correct.
That's news to me. Intern time used to be a wash, you paid back a year of debt while concurrently earning another one, still owing 4 years at the end for a 4 year scholarship.
I don't think that they changed that.
I suspect that the OPs date is incorrect, something they will discover and correct if he tries to get out early for civilian residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's news to me. Intern time used to be a wash, you paid back a year of debt while earning another one, still owing 4 years at the end for a 4 year scholarship.
I don't think that they changed that.
^^^^ This. I was under this impression as well, hence my confusion. I know this is probably something I should talk to HRC about but I am currently deployed, so that would be tough. Plus, there is a lot of military knowledge/experience on this thread so I figured I would give it a shot.

Do you mean to say that if you do not carry on into residency, then your intern year does count as payback?

It's wrong. Check the reg

5322779b8268de8531a88f4ebe9eb215.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makes sense. Figured it had to be wrong. I don't think anyone gets out of the mil feeling like they did less time than they owed.

Yeah, there's nothing official about the separation date on your ORB, LES, or MEDPROS. The only real separation date is the one calculated by HRC and/or your S1 shop. You could always roll the dice, but the chances you'll get all the way out without someone putting the skids to it is next to nil. Besides, it looks like you'll still owe some IRR time, so worst case scenario would be that they discover their error after you're off of active duty and you end up being recalled.

the chances you'll get all the way out without someone putting the skids to it is next to nil.

As recently as a year ago, the Air Force personnel website allowed people to apply for retirement simply by clicking a button. A coworker of mine, who was only two years into his active-duty service obligation, decided to file for retirement by clicking the button "just to see what would happen." The rejection letter arrived swiftly saying, "Don't do that again." I have checked the personnel website recently, and the retirement button has been taken down.

As recently as a year ago, the Air Force personnel website allowed people to apply for retirement simply by clicking a button. A coworker of mine, who was only two years into his active-duty service obligation, decided to file for retirement by clicking the button "just to see what would happen." The rejection letter arrived swiftly saying, "Don't do that again." I have checked the personnel website recently, and the retirement button has been taken down.
Retirement button? That's hilarious, as is the HRC reply.