Less than Stellar junior year, medical excuse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you are supposed to finish strong and have an upward trend for medical school.

I had no excuse at the time. I was tired after every new semester started. I was drinking almost a pot of coffee a day just to stay up to study for almost two years.

I thought I was burning out and that's why my A's were turning to B's. I went from a high-energy 4.0 GPA/sGPA to a 3.72 GPA and 3.48 sGPA before I finished college. Spent all my spare time sleeping.

Had tests done, turns out I have hypothyroidism. No idea how long I had it but my thyroid level were so dramatically low when I thought I was just "burning out".

So I had a medical excuse for why I was so tired and needed so much assistance through caffeine as the semesters progressed.

Would they even care I had untreated hypothyroidism if they asked why I started college so strong, but started getting more and more B's as it progressed?

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably find somewhere to talk about it in your application, like as a hurdle you had to overcome. It could be something an interviewer would find interesting and want to talk about. I just wouldn't lean on it as to much of an excuse. Your GPA is still good though!

Okay, I can definitely see it as more of a hurdle. I had to use so much willpower to get by, it was insane. I can't believe it took me so long to go to the doctor, but they always say people in healthcare always see themselves as invincible. I just remember getting 8-9 hours of sleep, study, nap, study, nap, sleep. And all the time drinking a ton of coffee to no effect. Probably slept more than any person in college with no benefits.

But I wasn't sad, just frustrated. I knew I wanted to do well and get into medical school so it didn't make sense for me to "burn out". It was like my mind (fiery, motivated, etc.) wasn't in sync with my body (exhausted all the time).