Less than three weeks out of COMLEX. Month until USMLE. Do I take both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theosteoblasts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a OMS-II in New York taking the COMLEX July 1st, scheduled to take the USMLE July 14th. I've been studying for both since March. I've completed UWorld once and almost done with COMBANK. I used UWorld to build a foundation and COMBANK to test memorizable facts. I've used FA, DIT, skimmed Pathoma, BRS Physiology so far.

I'm using Brosencephalon anki as well as reading First Aid myself. I've watched the DIT videos and have gone through Costanzo's BRS physiology 1x I have been doing Saverese book and am starting the tests in the back of the book as well as memorizing Chapman points/Viscerosomatics. I've read on here that Neuro is incredibly high yield(as well as Bugs and Drugs) so I'm thinking of getting High Yield NeuroAnatomy or BRS Neuroanatomy to make sure I get as many points as I can. Is this enough to do well for a 550+? What can I change or add on? On COMBANK blocks I average 60-65%

For USMLE:

Many of my peers are scared of this exam and have already chosen to not take the exam. They feel weak in integrating Immunology/Pathology with the mechanisms and feel the school underprepared us for the USMLE and geared us toward the COMLEX. I was an average student at my school. With the exam a month away is it possible for me to achieve a 215+? I read here that Goljan's Pathology Lectures are important and I started reading thru his 125 pg transcript. I don't think I have time to watch all the Pathoma videos thoroughly and be able to re-do UWorld in time for my exam efficiently. I'm taking an nbme on the 17th to check.

What are some suggestions for my study plan? I've wasted most of today trying to re-do my schedule for the next few weeks. Hopefully, I would be aiming for residency positions in NY for EM/IM and I'm possibly interested in Psych as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good. COMBANK is not predictive of a score at all; it is perhaps the wost Q-Bank ever made. Your success will be closely tied to your UWorld performance. Take a few NBME's and shoot for 215+. If you can hit those marks, you should be golden on test day for both exams

In hindsight the only change that I would have made to my COMLEX preparation was adding more Neuroanatomy preparation. The pharmacology and microbiology on my form of the COMLEX (and USMLE) was straightforward, and several of my classmates had a similar experience.