About the ads

Lesson learned: get your LORs as early as possible

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by NDPitch, Jun 11, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the DAT
  1. NDPitch

NDPitch SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Get your LORs as early as possible folks. I thought asking this past March was early enough. It was not. I asked one of my former bio professors who I was friendly with and TA'ed for. She was friendly and said she'd absolutely write.

I've been constantly trying to get a hold of her since then. I just found out through the grapevine that her husband is very ill and that she might not be able to write for me, which explains her not getting back to me. I was banking on this letter being one of my best ones, and now I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm going to have to scramble for a "last minute throw together" letter from someone that's willing to help. Not a good thing to happen when the application cycle is open and the clock is ticking...
  2. dentalprodigy

dentalprodigy Mr. Awesome

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Best of luck to you op. Yea, I suggest applicants talk to the prospective lor writers a year in advance or shortly after taking the class

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
  3. miss chievous

miss chievous

Optometry Student
    you could always suggest to her if it would help to write a draft of your own letter. i've done it for evaluators before. sometimes they won't even change a thing. if you think she would have better insight on you as a candidate than your 'last minute' option, then there's no harm in that, right?