Lessons I learned from this application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I would share some vital things I learned during my application experience. If any premeds happen to see this, I think it would be of some benefit. Also, feel free to post what you learned as well!

1.) APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY. Seriously, I can't stress enough how important this is. Even on SDN, the importance of applying early might not be hyped enough. I made the completely stupid decision to apply in July and it probably hurt me in terms of the number of opportunities I might have lost.

Looking back, if I had to do it again, I would have every single thing about my application ready as early as humanly possible. Like I would bug the heck out of my premed office to get my Committee Letter ready, have the primary app ready to go, and hire the world's fastest mouse clicker to submit the app as soon as it was possible to be submitted.

2.) Spend as much time possible making sure your personal statement is amazing. At one of my interviews, the dean of admissions mentioned that the personal statement BY ITSELF constituted an entire factor equal to or on par with the level of importance given to the interview itself. Write bazillions of drafts, get it checked over, and edit, edit, edit. I happen to think my PS was pretty good but even then, I think I should have spent much more time on it.

3.) Apply broadly, this is not the time to skimp on money. Don't underestimate just how tough it is to get into med school. Keep your options as wide open as possible. It's better to fork over the extra 500-600 dollars for a few more well matched schools (Oh yeah, get the MSAR), rather than have to spend thousands more for a new reapplication cycle. I'm very fortunate that I got into a school while only applying to 10 or 11 like an idiot. I was shocked at just how fast I started to run out of options when schools started putting me on hold and rejecting me.

4.) Don't stress! I found myself too stressed and upset a lot of the time throughout this whole process and it definitely affected me negatively. Worst comes to worst, you reapply, so what? There are people who don't even have the option of applying to medical school due to various circumstances, count your blessings and keep firm!

These are the things that stood out to me but I can probably think of more things later on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Congrats on Upstate!

What were your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! 68 LizzyM, average EC's.

That is pretty high. It seems like you didn't apply broadly enough (not enough private, low tier OOS schools), or I'm confident you would've had more ii's/acceptance.

My word of advice, as someone going to a top tier DO school and has not received much MD love.
You want a LizzyM of atleast 66 before applying to MD.
63-66 should get you into a top DO (if you so choose to apply there).

Of couse, this is not considering any special circumstances, IS prefrence/amazing EC's/urm

That is pretty high. It seems like you didn't apply broadly enough (not enough private, low tier OOS schools), or I'm confident you would've had more ii's/acceptance.

My word of advice, as someone going to a top tier DO school and has not received much MD love.
You want a LizzyM of atleast 66 before applying to MD.
63-66 should get you into a top DO (if you so choose to apply there).

Of couse, this is not considering any special circumstances, IS prefrence/amazing EC's/urm
Congrats on the acceptance! I think that is good advice. I also applied to DO schools (NYCOM and PCOM, albeit very late in the cycle) and would have loved to attend either. I also should have applied to more low tier OOS like you mentioned.

Congrats on the acceptance! I think that is good advice. I also applied to DO schools (NYCOM and PCOM, albeit very late in the cycle) and would have loved to attend either. I also should have applied to more low tier OOS like you mentioned.

Just curious, have you heard from nycom and pcom regarding ii/acceptance/rejection?

I figured I would share some vital things I learned during my application experience. If any premeds happen to see this, I think it would be of some benefit. Also, feel free to post what you learned as well!

1.) APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY. Seriously, I can't stress enough how important this is. Even on SDN, the importance of applying early might not be hyped enough. I made the completely stupid decision to apply in July and it probably hurt me in terms of the number of opportunities I might have lost.

Looking back, if I had to do it again, I would have every single thing about my application ready as early as humanly possible. Like I would bug the heck out of my premed office to get my Committee Letter ready, have the primary app ready to go, and hire the world's fastest mouse clicker to submit the app as soon as it was possible to be submitted.

2.) Spend as much time possible making sure your personal statement is amazing. At one of my interviews, the dean of admissions mentioned that the personal statement BY ITSELF constituted an entire factor equal to or on par with the level of importance given to the interview itself. Write bazillions of drafts, get it checked over, and edit, edit, edit. I happen to think my PS was pretty good but even then, I think I should have spent much more time on it.

3.) Apply broadly, this is not the time to skimp on money. Don't underestimate just how tough it is to get into med school. Keep your options as wide open as possible. It's better to fork over the extra 500-600 dollars for a few more well matched schools (Oh yeah, get the MSAR), rather than have to spend thousands more for a new reapplication cycle. I'm very fortunate that I got into a school while only applying to 10 or 11 like an idiot. I was shocked at just how fast I started to run out of options when schools started putting me on hold and rejecting me.

4.) Don't stress! I found myself too stressed and upset a lot of the time throughout this whole process and it definitely affected me negatively. Worst comes to worst, you reapply, so what? There are people who don't even have the option of applying to medical school due to various circumstances, count your blessings and keep firm!

These are the things that stood out to me but I can probably think of more things later on.

1) Applied in July and it hurt you? Doubt it. Nope, that's not why you lost opportunities.

2) Memorable PS's and a well crafted narrative are definitely incredibly important.

3) Hell yes. I applied to 40 schools and have had only 6II's so far (with like 15 rejections or something). I was lucky enough to be accepted to one of my first interviews, but dang...

4) Stress is good, but should be used constructively. The advantage of applying early/early interviews at rolling schools is having the uncertainty vanish. I became much more excited for big interviews once I got my first acceptance.

Thanks! 68 LizzyM, average EC's.

PS: That's why you lost opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
1) Applied in July and it hurt you? Doubt it. Nope, that's not why you lost opportunities.

2) Memorable PS's and a well crafted narrative are definitely incredibly important.

3) Hell yes. I applied to 40 schools and have had only 6II's so far (with like 15 rejections or something). I was lucky enough to be accepted to one of my first interviews, but dang...

4) Stress is good, but should be used constructively. The advantage of applying early/early interviews at rolling schools is having the uncertainty vanish. I became much more excited for big interviews once I got my first acceptance.

PS: That's why you lost opportunities.
I think it did hurt me man. I've compared my stats with others in the school specific forums and MDapps and all that jazz as well as people I personally know and the early application trend doesn't seem to be a coincidence.

I think it did hurt me man. I've compared my stats with others in the school specific forums and MDapps and all that jazz as well as people I personally know and the early application trend doesn't seem to be a coincidence.

Pretty sure I'm in the same boat as you. Similar stats (~69 LizzyM) with solid ECs and a unique nontrad story, etc. My committee letter wasn't in until 8/1, so that was the earliest I was complete anywhere. My advisor reassured me that it wouldn't be a big deal, but I think it may have set me back a bit given the way the cycle went this year and how fast AMCAS had everyone verified. I still ended up with 5 IIs and 1 acceptance thus far to a great school, so I'm happy overall, but I think the people who were complete early on this cycle may have received more IIs (and earlier, without a doubt).

Members don't see this ad :)

Stats are just part of the picture though.

I definitely think my undergrad did hinder my application by turning in the letter in mid august. Seriously pissed me off.

Sorry to hear JPA and RTC. It's pretty messed up how your entire application can get delayed due to something out of your control. Undergrad schools should realize that their tardiness might affect someone's life in a huge way. I applied for a Committee Letter in January (!) at my school and they didn't send it out until the middle of August. And I was fortunate if you can believe it or not, as some people from my school who applied in previous years didn't get it sent out until September or October. lol

When people say "apply early, how early is "early"?

Does it actually matter what time on the first day submission opens you actually submit the app?

What about secondaries? I thought the general idea was within 2 weeks but you guys make it seem like it should be within a few hours lol (which might give a bad impression? since that implies to schools you either spent a few hours or were so neurotic as to look up last years secondaries and prewrite).

Does it actually matter what time on the first day submission opens you actually submit the app?

What about secondaries? I thought the general idea was within 2 weeks but you guys make it seem like it should be within a few hours lol (which might give a bad impression? since that implies to schools you either spent a few hours or were so neurotic as to look up last years secondaries and prewrite).

Only on SDN...

I prewrote most of my secondaries. Schools don't care if you turn it in super fast it's the content that matters. 1-2 week turn around is good though. Having everything prewritten and submitted in 2-3 days is better.

Early would be within the first week IMO. But the earlier, the better. If you submit within the first hour, you can get verified within mere days. For reference, when I submitted in the middle of July, it took me 4 weeks to get verified, and that was lightning fast compared to last year.

As for secondary turnaround, the earlier the better once again. But I don't think your app gets thrown in the trash if you're past the supposed "2 week turnaround deadline." I submitted a secondary a month later and still got an II so there's that.

What about the people taking the new May MCAT and cant submit the scores until the end of June?

What can we do if our committees are slow?

Our committee gets the letters between March and April but then they lollygag all summer and don't send the letter until August. Can you still get verified and receive secondaries and IIs without the committee packet?
You receive secondaries simply by submitting your primary app but your application won't be fully complete until they get your committee letter. You only receive II's after they have reviewed your completed application.

As for what you can do, you can kindly remind them to submit your letter as soon as possible and explain to them that it is very important for you and your career that they do. Do this every so often and stay on top of them.

I had to nag my letter writer with an email every 2 weeks or so, and visited my prehealth office every other week.

What about the people taking the new May MCAT and cant submit the scores until the end of June?
It'll be fine. Schools don't receive your verified primary application until June 20th or something like that anyway. 10 days won't make a huge difference if all they have left to receive is your MCAT score, especially if everyone else is facing the same situation.

You receive secondaries simply by submitting your primary app but your application won't be fully complete until they get your committee letter. You only receive II's after they have reviewed your completed application.

As for what you can do, you can kindly remind them to submit your letter as soon as possible and explain to them that it is very important for you and your career that they do. Do this every so often and stay on top of them.

I had to nag my letter writer with an email every 2 weeks or so, and visited my prehealth office every other week.

Does this mean that we can submit our primary and still receive secondaries, and submit secondaries without the committee letter coming in?

I definitely think my undergrad did hinder my application by turning in the letter in mid august. Seriously pissed me off.
I don't think so.

My friend's school also did the same, and he had several interviews and already an acceptance by October 15th.

Thanks everyone for sharing. So my question to you all is: is it worth forgetting the committee letter if it pushes one's application to mid-cycle or further? Committee letters are optional, correct?

I have read numerous times the importance of submitting ASAP, so I would like to get more confirmation on this. Going to use the search function, brb.

EDIT: I found a great thread on "late applicants." All you need to read is the first page and you will get a few different, great perspectives. @Goro posted as well; look out for that post.

Last edited:
Most schools require the letter and if you don't get it, they ask why you did not. If you come from a well known pre-med school, then it will definitely raise eyebrows if you forgo the committee letter.
Wow, and I thought I knew everything. How the hec did I miss that key detail? Well good thing I have another three years. Thank you for the information!

I don't think so.

My friend's school also did the same, and he had several interviews and already an acceptance by October 15th.

Cool story bro.

Ps: the difference between early to mid July and mid to late August are pretty substantial.

The problem is that the letters from the writers are in by March, but the committee themselves don't write the composite letter and send until August since "they have so many to write."

I wish they knew how crucial it is to submit ASAP.

Go f'ing tell those idiots. They should have those letters in by mid-July at the latest. Most schools require a committee letter if your school does them. See if you can find some statistics to back up the "apply early" mantra, and bring those to the committee. Be extremely polite and professional, of course.

Yea, I've seen the graphs here on SDN showing verification time depending on when you submit, I just know if they'll take data from this forum seriously. Oh well, let's see.
I'm sure you can find something, whether it be a quote from an adcom member of a medical school, graphs, or whatever else, that helps your case.

Does this mean that we can submit our primary and still receive secondaries, and submit secondaries without the committee letter coming in?
Yep. That is in fact what I did. I submitted everything on my end and my application wasn't complete until my school came around to sending in my committee letter.

Here's a lesson, just because is an interview is conversational, doesn't mean they haven't decided to already write you a negative evaluation for some reason. Also, even if you have an interview you can still easily get rejected for pre-interview factors (talking about flying across the country to get rejected bc of a downward mcat trend).

I think you guys are getting a bit ahead of yourselves. Adcoms, for the most part, know that these committee letters take time to get in. I believe I read from an adcom (LizzyM) that *some* schools will go ahead and review your application sans committee letter. If you're waiting until late-september to first week of october for just a committee letter, then there's some trouble.

Yea, I've seen the graphs here on SDN showing verification time depending on when you submit, I just know if they'll take data from this forum seriously. Oh well, let's see.

Yeah, unlikely.

Totally agree with applying as broadly as possible. Average applicant applies to 14? Well, you don't wanna be average because the average applicant also doesn't get accepted. I'd say 20+ is easily the way to go. If you can afford more, apply to well over 20. Just prewrite secondaries like crazy. And honestly the essays do repeat themselves quite a bit. Maybe not to the point of copy and paste--but still very similar.

Another tip for higher stats guys is to not load up on safety schools. I don't think schools with avg MCAT of 30 will look at a 36 much more favorably than a 31. However schools with avg MCAT of 36 will look at the 36 MUCH more favorably than a 31.

It's pretty messed up how your entire application can get delayed due to something out of your control.
1e1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
It's pretty messed up how your entire application can get delayed due to something out of your control.
1e1.jpg

That's life. But yeah, I'm going to email dean's after the cycle is over.

Cool story bro.

Ps: the difference between early to mid July and mid to late August are pretty substantial.
There's been threads on SDN that say if it's submitted sometime in August, you're still in the clear for a smooth ride, regarding being 'on time' as opposed to late. Also, it's the goddamn committee letter we're talking about, not submitting the primary. The point being, make sure that's the last piece of your application that goes in (i.e. make sure your secondary, scores, etc. are in, and all they are waiting for is your committee letter). That's the main point I'm trying to make out of this: a committee letter submitted and/or received by AdComs in mid-August is nowhere near some kind of game-killer or a significant hindrance to your application. Just make sure your other stuff is in so that when the committee letter comes in, your app is ready to be reviewed in full.

Totally agree with applying as broadly as possible. Average applicant applies to 14? Well, you don't wanna be average because the average applicant also doesn't get accepted. I'd say 20+ is easily the way to go. If you can afford more, apply to well over 20. Just prewrite secondaries like crazy. And honestly the essays do repeat themselves quite a bit. Maybe not to the point of copy and paste--but still very similar.

Another tip for higher stats guys is to not load up on safety schools. I don't think schools with avg MCAT of 30 will look at a 36 much more favorably than a 31. However schools with avg MCAT of 36 will look at the 36 MUCH more favorably than a 31.
#Highstatsproblems ;)

There's been threads on SDN that say if it's submitted sometime in August, you're still in the clear for a smooth ride, regarding being 'on time' as opposed to late. Also, it's the goddamn committee letter we're talking about, not submitting the primary. The point being, make sure that's the last piece of your application that goes in (i.e. make sure your secondary, scores, etc. are in, and all they are waiting for is your committee letter). That's the main point I'm trying to make out of this: a committee letter submitted and/or received by AdComs in mid-August is nowhere near some kind of game-killer or a significant hindrance to your application. Just make sure your other stuff is in so that when the committee letter comes in, your app is ready to be reviewed in full.

Your application isn't complete till everything is received. No one cares that they're waiting for your letter. You're not a special flower. I really like that incredible insight that the rest of the application should be complete prior to the letter. Marvelous insight really, nobel worthy!

It took me over 2 months from submitting my secondary to being complete at drexel because of their backlog. People complete in july were interviewing when I was complete. So please stop your kvetching to yourself till you go through the process.

You cannot dispute that there is less of a backlog at schools for early applications. For that reason alone, I would recommend people getting their crap in early.

Do you see that 'accepted' next to my name? I applied mid august and I got in before Christmas. I'm no super star, but I know people with similar stats that were interviewing at schools when I was marked complete. Yes, the rest of their application was probably very different, but schools are definitely more lenient with interviews till the point where they can see what their class is shaping up like.

Schools don't pay much attention to your stuff till you're complete, some schools like tufts don't want you to submit the secondary till the rest of the stuff is about in.

I never said august is late. I said it is not early. There's a big difference between being early and being 'on time'. Now please, stop extrapolating and let people that are actually going through the process or have gone through it talk.

Got it? Good.

Wow RTC, I feel like one of your favorite pocket squares got ruined this morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

This times 1,000. Sell all of your worldly possessions to finance the secondary fees for 40 apps if you have a low GPA. I'm sort of regretting not doing this.

This times 1,000. Sell all of your worldly possessions to finance the secondary fees for 40 apps if you have a low GPA. I'm sort of regretting not doing this.
+1 for sure, I know a lot of people who "couldn't afford" apps but are the same people who eat at expensive restaurants 4-5 times a week or spend their money partying etc. Applying to medical school is an investment towards your life, you have to look at applying like that.

Reactions: 5 users