Let me explain..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alefander

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a while from applying to any schools. I currently have a 3.7 GPA (it will very likely increase) and I have never taken the MCAT, but I will and I plan to do exceptional.

I received a General Discharge for failing an alcohol rehabilitation program when I was in the military (19 years old). I got arrested 6 months later for possession of paraphernalia (class C), possession of marijuana (class B), and hydrocodone possession (class A). All of these were misdemeanors. This happened 5 years ago. I am taking care of these issues by expungements and requesting pardons.

I have done an extracurricular in college that was like Jeopardy and my team got 3rd place on the national level (I was team captain) and I got 1-12th highest individual scorer nationally.. (I am being ambiguous, the point is I have an achievement).

I am likely to serve a 2 year mission very soon for my church and I hold leadership positions in my church. I don't drink, cuss, smoke, do any drugs, or drink coffee. I have repented for more things than just drugs.

I can get great LORs from doctors who I am very comfortable would be glad to state that they know of my background and that I am of good moral character.

I was a fool when I was young. I really want to go to medical school. What do you think guys? Can anyone help me? I have 2 years of school left (after my mission).

These drug charges make me sick. I would hate it if after I was finished with school if I hafhad to tell all potential employers aboit these things anytime I want a job.

Members don't see this ad.

I would rather keep the information concerning my background between me, the licensing board, and DEA.

Your GPA is good. Keep it up. Don't underestimate the MCAT, though. It's great to "plan to do exceptional" but it takes sustained smart study habits to really accomplish that.

I'm not an expert on military issues or applying with misdemeanors. But I do know that AMCAS (assuming you're planning to apply to MD programs) will ask about both military discharges and any misdemeanor convictions, including ones that have been expunged. There are a few state-specific caveats but this is the general policy. (https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...6a2-49cefdb39bc9/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf)

Unfortunately, you will most likely have to disclose all of this information to medical schools and hope that they focus on how you've changed your behavior since these incidents. I think the best thing you can do is keep up any leadership positions that show your maturity and responsibility. Being involved in a church community is great. Add in some service to your community and to the less fortunate. (Perhaps drug prevention work with youth?) You also need some clinical experience. If you haven't already, start volunteering in a clinical setting (doctor's office, hospital, free clinic, etc.) and start shadowing some doctors. Med schools want to see that you know what you're getting yourself into! Letters of recommendation from doctors won't make much of a difference unless they're from people who have directly supervised you in an academic or professional setting.

I think if you can demonstrate that you've turned things around in your personal life AND have done well academically, you may have a shot. Unfortunately, it's hard to say how much of a shot you'll have. But if you're really committed to medicine, I think it's worth a try! Hopefully, some adcoms here can chime in on schools that value big personal comebacks/redemption stories.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your first problem is going to be the med schools, I understand the incident was years ago so some schools may be forgiving and see that your a better person now but honestly this is one for the adcoms to handle. Never underestimate the MCAT!!!

Many schools ask you to list arrests, not merely convictions, so expungement does you no good in that regard. Background checks reveal arrests of even expunged cases, as arrests are a matter of permanent public record.

Everyone plans to do well I the MCAT. Only about 20% of them succeed. Good luck in regard to that, you, like everyone else, will need it.

Now, the question is, how many years out from these events will you be when you apply? That's going to be a major factor in any decision.

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I would be very interested in learning which schools love hearing those kind of stories. I have one. :)

About 9 years if I go on a full-time mission. 7 if I don't.

I will disclose it all. I am expunging it because it seems like the responsible thing to do.

I think AMCAS will still require you to disclose the charges, even if they had been expunged. Like in many college towns, they give you the opportunity to expunge a first offense MIP from your record, but you still have to report it anyway. An expunged record does not equate to clean record.

I don't think any particular school "likes" students that were criminals, but some individual adcoms can look past such events if you can show you've made changes. This isn't a school-based thing- it entirely depends upon the personal murals of the adcom member reviewing your files. Some people are of the "this guy was a troublemaker once, throw him in another high pressure situation and he'll become one again" mentality, while others are of the "he was young and stupid and people change a lot in young adulthood" variety. Your military discharge is another thing that will vary adcom to adcom- many ex-military types won't give a person with a dishonorable discharge the time of day. Then there's people who understand that the military isn't right for every young kid and don't care.

At the end of the day, what all this comes down to is that you don't have no chance, but that your chances aren't being helped by your past. The more hard work, good behavior, and time you put between those events and your application the better.

Reactions: 1 users
About 9 years if I go on a full-time mission. 7 if I don't.

I will disclose it all. I am expunging it because it seems like the responsible thing to do.
You may as well expunge it, as it'll make getting a DEA license and a medical license a less irritating process down the road. We're just making it clear what you will and will not end up having to disclose.

Thank you for your comments.

My military discharge is actually not a "bad" discharge. There are "other than honorable" which is for like failing a drug test. Dishonorable is being discharged for committing something like a felony.

My discharge (General Discharge under honorable conditions) is like getting laid off. I went to a hotel party while in rehab and told them in group therapy about it and they kicked me out of rehab, which automatically discharged me. I didn't drink any alcohol at the party either.. Not that it matters now.

Many apps will ask "Have you ever been arrested? If so explain"

You'll have to:
explain
own your transgression
have led an exemplary life since then

There are Adcom members who believe in redemption.

The church mission will be worth mentioning, in this case.

I am a while from applying to any schools. I currently have a 3.7 GPA (it will very likely increase) and I have never taken the MCAT, but I will and I plan to do exceptional.

I received a General Discharge for failing an alcohol rehabilitation program when I was in the military (19 years old). I got arrested 6 months later for possession of paraphernalia (class C), possession of marijuana (class B), and hydrocodone possession (class A). All of these were misdemeanors. This happened 5 years ago. I am taking care of these issues by expungements and requesting pardons.

I have done an extracurricular in college that was like Jeopardy and my team got 3rd place on the national level (I was team captain) and I got 1-12th highest individual scorer nationally.. (I am being ambiguous, the point is I have an achievement).

I am likely to serve a 2 year mission very soon for my church and I hold leadership positions in my church. I don't drink, cuss, smoke, do any drugs, or drink coffee. I have repented for more things than just drugs.

I can get great LORs from doctors who I am very comfortable would be glad to state that they know of my background and that I am of good moral character.

I was a fool when I was young. I really want to go to medical school. What do you think guys? Can anyone help me? I have 2 years of school left (after my mission).

These drug charges make me sick. I would hate it if after I was finished with school if I hafhad to tell all potential employers aboit these things anytime I want a job.