Lets clear things up: calcitriol, calcitonin and parathyroid hormone...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaids37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What i understand as of right now, just want to make sure this is correct because I keep getting conflicting answers...

Calcitonin: DECREASES levels of Ca in the blood (Inhibits its reabsorbtion at the kidney), secreted by C cells of thyroid
Parathyroid hormone: INCREASES levels of Ca in blood (Stimulates its reabsorbtion at the kidney), secreted by parathyroid
Calcitriol: Same as parathyroid hormone, secreted by kidney??

Thanks guys! Just trying to understand this once and for all

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried wikipedia? Because all three of these have solid pages with a good synopsis in the 1st paragraph...

And FYI- Calcitonin and Parathyroid hormone are both peptide hormones that have opposite effects on blood calcium.
Calcitrol on the other hand is the active form of Vit D3 (not a peptide). It can be made in the kidneys, or taken from diet.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried wikipedia? Because all three of these have solid pages with a good synopsis in the 1st paragraph...

And FYI- Calcitonin and Parathyroid hormone are both peptide hormones that have opposite effects on blood calcium.
Calcitrol on the other hand is the active form of Vit D3 (not a peptide). It can be made in the kidneys, or taken from diet.

Yes I read up on wikipedia as well and just wanted to confirm because these three (namely calcitriol and calcinotonin) were confusing me but I understand it now! Thanks for your reply!

I remember calcitonin because it "tones down" my blood calcium level :).

Reactions: 1 users
A mnemonic I read on AAMC is that Parathyroid - RID (rids bone of calcium) while Calcitonin - IN (calcium into bone).

In case you get the two mixed up often as I do.

Reactions: 1 users