Lets discuss why you guys think Metrics are bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RX2090

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all the pharmacists who think guys like me and Old Timer are "drinking the kool-aid." WHY are you guys SO against performance metrics?

Metrics exist for a few reasons. They separate bad stores from good stores. What do I mean by "bad stores?" That would be a store with an rph who just plain doesn't give a ****, and comes to work to collect his $120k and goes home. He would probably give a 2 hour wait time for Flonase, not make Doctor Calls, give bad service, and not give a **** if his customers medications are not ready when promised.

Furthermore, metrics enhance a business and make more money for the business. The last time I checked, pharmacy is a BUSINESS. Yes, it has elements of patient care, but you're dealing with thousands of dollars of medications. When this level of $$$ is dealt with, there needs to be regulation to ensure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing and not over ordering.

Lastly, performance metrics all enhance the experience of a customer. They measure whether or not you're verifying scripts on time. Think back to the Flonase example. If you own 100 pharmacies, and you have one rph who gets a Flonase out in 15 minutes and another who takes 2 hours, how would you be able to differentiate between the two? Wouldn't you want to know if a pharmacist is hurting your store by not delivering great customer service.

Then you have this entire subset of people who go off about how customer service surveys are garbage and don't mean anything because it's not statistically significant. Have any of you heard of Nielsen ratings? Basically, about 20,000 homes in the USA out of 99 million have a Nielsen box which measures TV ratings for a TV show. If a TV show has bad ratings, they get cancelled and the writers get fired. Is that statistically significant? NO, but it's the only way to measure TV ratings. You can't put a box in EVERY HOME, but you can pick 20,000 random households and get a good idea of the viewership. The same holds for surveys. You have 200 customers a month, and 40 surveys go out at random to measure service. It's the only way to measure service right now. It is what it is.

There's an old adage; if you take a man's money, do the job the way he wants you to do it and shut up. Too many pharmacists complain ABOUT EVERYTHING and yet get paid $120k and have no problem putting that in their bank account. I went to law school as well and worked in a law firm for 3 months before coming back to retail pharmacy; lemme tell you, if you think retail pharmacy is bad, you haven't seen jack ****. You guys are treated well compared to what's out there. Are you treated as well as physicians? No. But we're not physicians. So let's stop comparing ourselves to them.

Members don't see this ad.

Because picking up the phone within 2 rings doesn't make you a good pharmacist.

Reactions: 2 users
Most chains don't have a metric for picking up the phone within 2 rings. CVS doesn't for sure, and I don't think walgreens does either.

Next? Anyone else want to try? Or do you want to make things up to help your argument?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most chains don't have a metric for picking up the phone within 2 rings. CVS doesn't for sure, and I don't think walgreens does either.

CVS knows how long it takes you to use the restroom. CVS knows how often you call your wife. CVS knows how many times you say "FML" per day and CVS certainly knows how long it takes you to pick up the damn phone!

Don't be a fool. First law school, now pharmacy? Oh, too late.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question for all the pharmacists who think guys like me and Old Timer are "drinking the kool-aid." WHY are you guys SO against performance metrics?

Metrics exist for a few reasons. They separate bad stores from good stores. What do I mean by "bad stores?" That would be a store with an rph who just plain doesn't give a ****, and comes to work to collect his $120k and goes home. He would probably give a 2 hour wait time for Flonase, not make Doctor Calls, give bad service, and not give a **** if his customers medications are not ready when promised.

Furthermore, metrics enhance a business and make more money for the business. The last time I checked, pharmacy is a BUSINESS. Yes, it has elements of patient care, but you're dealing with thousands of dollars of medications. When this level of $$$ is dealt with, there needs to be regulation to ensure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing and not over ordering.

Lastly, performance metrics all enhance the experience of a customer. They measure whether or not you're verifying scripts on time. Think back to the Flonase example. If you own 100 pharmacies, and you have one rph who gets a Flonase out in 15 minutes and another who takes 2 hours, how would you be able to differentiate between the two? Wouldn't you want to know if a pharmacist is hurting your store by not delivering great customer service.

Then you have this entire subset of people who go off about how customer service surveys are garbage and don't mean anything because it's not statistically significant. Have any of you heard of Nielsen ratings? Basically, about 20,000 homes in the USA out of 99 million have a Nielsen box which measures TV ratings for a TV show. If a TV show has bad ratings, they get cancelled and the writers get fired. Is that statistically significant? NO, but it's the only way to measure TV ratings. You can't put a box in EVERY HOME, but you can pick 20,000 random households and get a good idea of the viewership. The same holds for surveys. You have 200 customers a month, and 40 surveys go out at random to measure service. It's the only way to measure service right now. It is what it is.

There's an old adage; if you take a man's money, do the job the way he wants you to do it and shut up. Too many pharmacists complain ABOUT EVERYTHING and yet get paid $120k and have no problem putting that in their bank account. I went to law school as well and worked in a law firm for 3 months before coming back to retail pharmacy; lemme tell you, if you think retail pharmacy is bad, you haven't seen jack ****. You guys are treated well compared to what's out there. Are you treated as well as physicians? No. But we're not physicians. So let's stop comparing ourselves to them.

That is is a sufficient sample size to gauge the American population. The Nielsen boxes record all the sampled houses all the time.

Customer surveys would be valid if all of them got returned. The problem is, only upset people tend to fill them out, and even then, very sparingly. It is not statistically significant. Therefore, you can't draw any conclusions from them, yet people try to.

CVS knows how long it takes you to use the restroom. CVS knows how often you call your wife. CVS knows how many times you say "FML" per day and CVS certainly knows how long it takes you to pick up the damn phone!

Don't be a fool. First law school, now pharmacy? Oh, too late.

See, you're all talk but with no substance. You're going off on a tangent and making things up. You get sarcastic because you know I'm right and metrics serve a purpose. If the root cause is that you're too lazy to verify a zpak out in 15 minutes, then say so.

What about dispensing the right drug to the right person? Why doesn't CVS have that metric?

What about dispensing the right drug to the right person? Why doesn't CVS have that metric?

Because pharmacists are expected to dispense the right medication out. That's part of your job. The theoretical "target" for dispensing the right medication out would be 100%. What kind of dumb question is that?

Besides, you can't "measure" the wrong medication being given out. How would you measure that?

See, you're all talk but with no substance. You're going off on a tangent and making things up. You get sarcastic because you know I'm right and metrics serve a purpose. If the root cause is that you're too lazy to verify a zpak out in 15 minutes, then say so.

Oh you are such a good pharmacist! I worked as an intern for a big chain and I knew back then I didn't want to do this for the next 30 years. That is why I don't work for CVS.

Anyone who doesn't follow the your logic is lazy? Give me a break. Is that why you didn't make in law?

Oh you are such a good pharmacist! I worked as an intern for a big chain and I knew back then I didn't want to do this for the next 30 years. That is why I don't work for CVS.

Anyone who doesn't follow the your logic is lazy? Give me a break. Is that why you didn't make in law?

I left law because retail pharmacy is easy $$$ compared to law. I was doing 70 hour weeks in Law and getting paid less than I am working 40 hours a week in pharmacy.

You still haven't fundamental answered my question. My guess is you're bitter because you either can't accept the fact that metrics serve a purpose (and they do) or you probably weren't efficient enough to run a store.

Judging by you asking me why cvs doesn't have a wrong medication metric (LOLLLL) I'm guessing it's a combination of both

Because pharmacists are expected to dispense the right medication out. That's part of your job. The theoretical "target" for dispensing the right medication out would be 100%. What kind of dumb question is that?

Besides, you can't "measure" the wrong medication being given out. How would you measure that?

If CVS can measure how long it takes you to pick up the phone, they can surely measure how accurate you are as a pharmacist. But of course, they dont want to measure that. We all know they don't want the public to know that

I left law because retail pharmacy is easy $$$ compared to law. I was doing 70 hour weeks in Law and getting paid less than I am working 40 hours a week in pharmacy.

You still haven't fundamental answered my question. My guess is you're bitter because you either can't accept the fact that metrics serve a purpose (and they do) or you probably weren't efficient enough to run a store.

Judging by you asking me why cvs doesn't have a wrong medication metric (LOLLLL) I'm guessing it's a combination of both

Again, I don't work in retail. Man, I knew pharmacy was accepting people from the bottom of the barrel but law rejects too? LOL

Of course metrics serve a purpose for the corporation. It's being used to get rid of the "bad" pharmacists.

If CVS can measure how long it takes you to pick up the phone, they can surely measure how accurate you are as a pharmacist. But of course, they dont want to measure that. We all know they don't want the public to know that

Cvs doesn't measure how long it takes to pick up the phone? are you that stupid? Why do you keep bringing this up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cvs doesn't measure how long it takes to pick up the phone? are you that stupid? Why do you keep bringing this up?

Yes, it does! The robotic man voice tells your supervisor how long it takes you to pick up the phone. Let me guess you didn't go to the top 100 law school?

im going to keep this short and sweet, even though i have a lot to say why metrics are bad

most importantly, metrics negatively affect pharmacists accuracy in verification of the right medications. The end.

also, are you kidding me? working as a retail pharmacist for a chain is a stressful job, not the MOST stressful job out there, but its up there.

and pharmacists do not put $120k into their bank accounts. as a single new grad with no property, at least 1/3 goes to tax, and a big portion goes towards student loan. after the cost of living, and flying back home from the boonies to see family and friends, how much do these new grads have left??

This guy is eating it all up and he is still a lowly PIC. If you are going to dedicate your soul to CVS, you might as well make the big bucks.

When I was at CVS they had metrics on CVS card scan rate (seriously, why should I give a **** about this as a pharmacist), they had metrics on how many FlavorRx you do (seriously? most pharmacies offer that for free.),
Never seen the metric for FlavorRx and I've been with the company for 3 years.

Also, there is a metric for extra scan rate but its not pushed much at all. It is not on SOS, WeCare, or KPM.

CVS did have a metric for phone call pick up time. On execution score card. Target was 20 seconds. It was made invisible at store level when SOS went live.

Just food for thought but are you aware that CVS is responsible for over 50% of all c2 discrepancy/loss reports? Probably because they are chasing metrics. I can't say that it is because they are lazy as you put it. You put your W and it same wait time for zpak or percocet. And the company does want you to use that W key = 10 minute wait time.

Most participants in this discussion have their mind made up. Metrics make perfect business sense.

Metrics aren't bad. The way they are used is bad. Why are stores with cash paying affluent patients with concierge doctors expected to have the same refill request response time as a store serving non-English speaking unemployed patients who go to a free clinic?

In complete agreement with Zelman.

Great stock to own. Bad place to work due to the way metrics are used. I fully accept stress that comes with this profession. But this health is everything thing when I get multiple calls a day asking why robot called to remind about seasonal allergy program on Flonase rx filled 6 months ago?

I know I reference it a lot, but watch The Wire. It explains it perfectly. Metrics just create an atmosphere where people "juke the stats." You wind up wasting time chasing stats than actually doing your job. The stats become more important than the actual job. Everything is engineered to make the people at the top look good. On The Wire it was test scores in schools or the crime rate on the streets. But you wound up having people just teach the stuff on the statewide test all year or cops turning rapes into sexual assault. Why? Because it made the politicians at the top be able to point at the test scores or the crime rate to show they are doing their job. How well rounded and educated the children were or how safe the streets actually were not actually measured or considered. Its all about a metric. Now in retail, its all about "customer satisfaction" and profit. That's all the metrics point to. There are zero metrics concerning accuracy of prescriptions or health outcomes. Unless it is an outcome that results in selling a prescription. I'm not complaining, per se. I get it, I work for a for-profit company. Of course profit and potential future profit (customer satisfaction) is what the managers and investors care the most about.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes they do. They also measure how long it takes you to answer the drive through. CVS metrics are centered around one thing...making more money. This is at the expense of patient safety and practicing good pharmacy. See you don't have a clue because you think practicing pharmacy is pressing the button as fast as you can to keep that prescription mill going.

You make me laugh! Your responses and line of reasoning are so predictable I could respond for you and no one would know.

You want to argue for metrics? Why doesn't CVS have a metric for how many patients you counsel or how many drug interactions you catch or how many therapeutic interventions you made or how many health outcomes you improved? Oh right those aren't important metrics because they do't directly result in an increased bottom line. Keep arguing for the metrics. All your doing is making yourself look like an idiot corporate stooge. You're not the first or last on here.

Yes they do. They also measure how long it takes you to answer the drive through.
No they don't. There is only a service metric that asks if they were satisfied with the drive through wait time. They do calculate who long it takes to acknowledge the customer at the drive through and how long your average transaction takes. They do not score you on it in any way.

You want to argue for metrics? Why doesn't CVS have a metric for how many patients you counsel or how many drug interactions you catch or how many therapeutic interventions you made or how many health outcomes you improved? Oh right those aren't important metrics because they do't directly result in an increased bottom line. Keep arguing for the metrics. All your doing is making yourself look like an idiot corporate stooge. You're not the first or last on here.

They do. You are required to counsel any patient who starts a new therapy. You are scored on how many refill their prescriptions after the first fill.

CVS like all big companies, tracks everything. It's how they use it. Metrics are neutral. They are neither good nor bad. Like opiates. Probably good if you just had surgery, probably not good if you are shooting up heroin.

I have no problems with metrics as long as they give you ENOUGH HELP to do so.
Acctually,if you have enough help,these metrics will do itself "you will have time to answer the phone,do CMR,scan more loyalty cards,better customer service cause you have more time to talK to your patients .....etc"
The problem is not the metrics,the problem is that they keep adding one metric after another while cutting your hours. BOTTOM LINE.

The dirty secret is that metrics do not equate to a store's profitability. There are stores with poor metrics that are highly profitable and vice versa.

Also, notice they never give you a reasonable goal you can meet. You are always compared against the top 10% of stores in every category. This ensures that no matter how good you are doing you will always keep trying to run faster on that hamster wheel which is what they really want.

Haha how did this turn into a talk about CVS yet again? Wags has metrics too!

I love looking at metrics, running them, and helping figure out how to make pharmacists do their jobs more efficiently while maintaining the same level of clinical and operational service.

That said, I had a friend post some certificates she got at work and one of them was "Best Scripts to Budget YTD" and it was printed on some like cheap certificate paper you buy at Staples and give to your 1st graders for learning how to spell.

It was kind of sleazy and sad...we went to school to get recognized for scripts to budget YTD?

I get that it's business...but...:poke:

I'll just throw this into the discussion. I work in a mail-order-like setting, and we only have two metrics: 1) error rate, and 2) average time taken to review scripts. You would think pharmacists would be okay with these metrics, since they are obviously related to good pharmacy practice and good business... yet they still find things to complain about like having a 'quota' or even "the metrics do not account for special cases". So I guess you just can't win this argument...

I'll just throw this into the discussion. I work in a mail-order-like setting, and we only have two metrics: 1) error rate, and 2) average time taken to review scripts. You would think pharmacists would be okay with these metrics, since they are obviously related to good pharmacy practice and good business... yet they still find things to complain about like having a 'quota' or even "the metrics do not account for special cases". So I guess you just can't win this argument...

avg time to review scripts is badddddddddd

Most metrics that involve speed are bad because there are plenty of issues that arise that require appropriate verification or attention. Our hospital has metrics too but they are more useful/clinical things....how many patients we counsel, how many med recs we perform, errors reported..

I know I reference it a lot, but watch The Wire. It explains it perfectly. Metrics just create an atmosphere where people "juke the stats." You wind up wasting time chasing stats than actually doing your job. The stats become more important than the actual job. Everything is engineered to make the people at the top look good. On The Wire it was test scores in schools or the crime rate on the streets. But you wound up having people just teach the stuff on the statewide test all year or cops turning rapes into sexual assault. Why? Because it made the politicians at the top be able to point at the test scores or the crime rate to show they are doing their job. How well rounded and educated the children were or how safe the streets actually were not actually measured or considered. Its all about a metric. Now in retail, its all about "customer satisfaction" and profit. That's all the metrics point to. There are zero metrics concerning accuracy of prescriptions or health outcomes. Unless it is an outcome that results in selling a prescription. I'm not complaining, per se. I get it, I work for a for-profit company. Of course profit and potential future profit (customer satisfaction) is what the managers and investors care the most about.

The Wire is the best show I have ever seen in my life. It's a movie made for the screen.

Yup, juking up the stats. That's all anyone in power thinks about. How can they look good being in a position of power? How can they increase their numbers? So they come up with ways to make the numbers look good, even though in reality things are a complete mess and worse than before. Who benefits? Only the person in power. Who doesn't benefit? The people who actually need the help.

The dirty secret is that metrics do not equate to a store's profitability. There are stores with poor metrics that are highly profitable and vice versa.

Also, notice they never give you a reasonable goal you can meet. You are always compared against the top 10% of stores in every category. This ensures that no matter how good you are doing you will always keep trying to run faster on that hamster wheel which is what they really want.

Yea, if you are constantly being compared to the top 10% all the time, then even though everyone is excellent, there will always be someone better than you that your RxSup and DM are going to tell you that you have to beat or improve. You can get all 90's straight down the line, but you still aren't in the top 10%.

Because CVS has *****ic metrics. Metrics that cause their pharmacists to have anxiety and depression and starve all day at work.

My independent has metrics, too.

Because CVS has *****ic metrics. Metrics that cause their pharmacists to have anxiety and depression and starve all day at work.

Counseling metric are pointless as well. "The robitissin is in isle 3". Boom, counseled on OTC med! Now I just need to waste 30min documenting it

My independent has metrics, too. We don't call them metrics. We call them "The Numbers". The techs hate "The Numbers" because it puts more stress on them to fill certain types of prescriptions or certain amounts of prescriptions during the day.

From management perspective, it makes sure people are working throughout the day, and we are hitting a certain number to stay in business. From pharmacist and tech perspective, it gives us something to do, but it also makes us play games to get certain numbers at certain times, which we all hate. Hate it or love it, you can't work in a retail pharmacy without looking at numbers. Any other view point and you wouldn't survive as an owner.

Chain pharmacists are the bane of this profession. They are simply tools used by the big box pharmacies to destroy the foundation of the community pharmacy. If you're a Walgreens or CVS pharmacist, congrats on being part of the problem.

Chain pharmacists are the bane of this profession. They are simply tools used by the big box pharmacies to destroy the foundation of the community pharmacy. If you're a Walgreens or CVS pharmacist, congrats on being part of the problem.

Just think of how many jobs we suck up. Put all those pharmacists on the street and you would be making $1.50 per hour. As to the rest of your quote, you are clueless as to what kind of pharmacist I am

Just think of how many jobs we suck up. Put all those pharmacists on the street and you would be making $1.50 per hour. As to the rest of your quote, you are clueless as to what kind of pharmacist I am

you = chain pharmacist

I know exactly who you are. You are the guys advocating that tech ratios be eliminated because if the state board gets rid of them then the corporate office will send me more tech help. Nevermind the fact that you already aren't maxing out the ratio but it's to make you feel great on the inside. You are the guys who are advocating for tech check tech. The big wigs are giving you MTMs, new to therapy calls, flu shot quotas, etc to do and you don't have time to do your job. Just give an essential part of your job away to a technician to free up your time! But you also are giving up part of your identity.

What a damn joke. You guys are going to make us $1 an hour at the rate you're going. Just look at how many chain pharmacists support this garbage. If you work for a chain then you are part of the problem and you need to fix it.

you = chain pharmacist

I know exactly who you are. You are the guys advocating that tech ratios be eliminated because if the state board gets rid of them then the corporate office will send me more tech help. Nevermind the fact that you already aren't maxing out the ratio but it's to make you feel great on the inside. You are the guys who are advocating for tech check tech. The big wigs are giving you MTMs, new to therapy calls, flu shot quotas, etc to do and you don't have time to do your job. Just give an essential part of your job away to a technician to free up your time! But you also are giving up part of your identity.

What a damn joke. You guys are going to make us $1 an hour at the rate you're going. Just look at how many chain pharmacists support this garbage. If you work for a chain then you are part of the problem and you need to fix it.

I am doing none of those things. I want more Rph not more clueless technicians to supervise. And I am currently maxing out the ratio. I am also most certainly not any sort of advocate for tech check tech. Seeing the errors that make it to me make that idea truly terrifying.

you = chain pharmacist

I know exactly who you are.

No, you really have no clue at all.

You are the guys advocating that tech ratios be eliminated because if the state board gets rid of them then the corporate office will send me more tech help.

Again, you have no clue. In Pennsylvania there are no tech ratios. I of course would be in favor of either a tech ratio or a limit on the number of rxs that could be filled by a single pharmacist per shift or a limit on the number per hour. So, that would make you wrong again.

Nevermind the fact that you already aren't maxing out the ratio but it's to make you feel great on the inside.
Since I don't have a ratio it does not apply to me. As for hours I always max them out. I try not to leave anything on the table. That would make you wrong again.

You are the guys who are advocating for tech check tech. The big wigs are giving you MTMs, new to therapy calls, flu shot quotas, etc to do and you don't have time to do your job. Just give an essential part of your job away to a technician to free up your time! But you also are giving up part of your identity.

I shocked to say you are wrong again. I would never advocate for a tech to check as that would be the end of my income.

Well you just live to be wrong. I could give a long explanation as to why the practice of pharmacy has evolved the way it has. I have been in it for almost 40 years. I have seen all of the changes from straight fee for service cash to 90% third party. But since you have such limited functioning brain cells, it would hardly be worth the effort. You would be a classic dunce.

LOLOLOL you are outrageous. You're denying that Walgreens DMs sent letters to the TSBP asking for tech ratios to be eliminated? It's coming to a state near you. You are in denial, which is classic you.

Don't respond to my posts if you aren't going to read them.

I am doing none of those things. I want more Rph not more clueless technicians to supervise. And I am currently maxing out the ratio. I am also most certainly not any sort of advocate for tech check tech. Seeing the errors that make it to me make that idea truly terrifying.

But you ARE doing those things. It's documented for everyone to see.

LOLOLOL you are outrageous. You're denying that Walgreens DMs sent letters to the TSBP asking for tech ratios to be eliminated? It's coming to a state near you. You are in denial, which is classic you.

Don't respond to my posts if you aren't going to read them.

*****, I work for CVS. I have no clue what Walgreens D.M.'s do When you make one factual statement about me I'll let you know. Until then put on your hat:

duncecap.jpg

*****, I work for CVS. I have no clue what Walgreens D.M.'s do When you make one factual statement about me I'll let you know. Until then put on your hat:

The stupidity is killing me. Again, don't respond to me if you aren't going to read my posts.

you = chain pharmacist

What does that mean to you? YOU are a chain pharmacist so YOU are complicit in all of this. I know that my post went right over your head because you lack the intellectual capabilities to understand what I'm saying. Why are you even bothering?

There's nothing wrong with metrics. The goal of any pharmacy is to profit, and I am 100% behind this. The problem is when DM's are more concerned about managing numbers than they are about managing PEOPLE, which from my experience is most cases. Our DM manages metrics, not pharmacists, not techs, but merely numbers.

In my opinion, metrics are a checkpoint to see how the pharmacy is doing. Manage the people, and see how the metrics look for areas of improvement. It seems like in most big chains, metrics are a goal that must be met rather than an indicator of performance.

Not to mention that "walking customer to item" and calling a doctor to correct a mistake to save a patients life are not even measured in metrics (things like this actually hurt metrics because they consume time)

My personal opinion is that the low staffing of large chains is a much bigger problem than the need to worry about metrics... though low staffing makes it harder to meet metrics anyways so weather you care about metrics or not staffing seems to be the bigger issue in my opinion.

Last edited:
i also had a supervisor who only cares about metrics. he doesn't care about the multiple pages in red, or all the baskets line up on the counter and on the floor. we barely have space to walk. sometimes we trip over the baskets. part of the metrics is ready when promised, but he doesn't even care about that bc its weight/points is insignificant...... our problems n our main complaints throughout the years is not about the metrics!! .......if you cannot guess what that complaint is, then u never work for cvs. since u didn't know cvs measure phone pickup time, i doubt u work for cvs..