Lets say you received a biology degree with a very low GPA, what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upwardtrendfornow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very low meaning in the 2.0 to 2.5 range. I graduated with a 2.4 GPA and about 160 credit hours due to retakes. It is going to take forever to pull that GPA up and quite frankly, I am just not going to do it.

Some of my friends were smart, after their first year of college they switched over to business where they were able to get above a 3.0 and now work as consultants in big cities. So many of them have jobs in media, business, consulting, and are living a life they love. All the while, I am stuck at home with my parents who initially put a lot of pressure on me to go into medicine.

Med school and dental school are just not a realistic possibility and quite frankly, neither is PA, PT or nursing school. So here I have this biology degree with a horrendous GPA to show for it and no realistic future prospects in the medical field.

Almost every night I have problems sleeping because I know that had I switched over to business as soon as I made that D in O Chem, I would have likely been in a better place now.

I have had a strong interest recently in working in other fields such as finance but the truth is, those fields are even more concerned about GPA than med schools.

Now I know that I am not the first bio major in the world to get his degree, make horrible grades along the way, and find out that he is just not cut out for the sciences. At the same time, I feel that I cannot expand on to any other field because they all care so much about GPA. I just wish that I could let employers know that even though I made D's in upper level science classes such as O Chem, that I am a hard worker and not a complete *******.

It is like I am stuck, what can I do about my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a job, any job. Figure out what you want to do with your life. Then work toward that goal. The worst thing you can do is sit at home and mope. If you are not cut out for academics, look into a trade such as plumbing.

Reactions: 5 users
Give up.
If you don't want to rectify your GPA situation and/or pursue medicine then you A) won't make it into med school and B) if you actually did make it, would probably drop out. No shame in that, but if you're not in it for the right reasons then that's what happens... I have a friend who just did that.
Don't compare yourself to others. Jk. We all do it. It's pretty crappy. Limit your social media time and do something more productive so you won't look at everyone's fake lives they portray on Facebook and Instagram.

Sounds like you've got some soul searching to do to figure out what you really want to do. In the meantime, get an entry level job and spend time doing that. I suggest retail as nothing will get your act together quicker than spending Black Friday getting a life size Elsa doll thrown at your face by a hormonal pregnant lady (this happened to me). Maybe take some business classes at a local Cc to see what you actually enjoy.

I don't have anything else productive to say in this post. Potato.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My interest seems to be in finance right now from what I read, wonder if there is a way for me to actually break in though.

Get a job, any job. Figure out what you want to do with your life. Then work toward that goal. The worst thing you can do is sit at home and mope. If you are not cut out for academics, look into a trade such as plumbing.

My fiancé got his bachelors in business, couldn't find a job he liked after he graduated, and went into an apprenticeship for electrical work. Now he's getting ready to become a foreman and make 6 figures a year. check out the local unions near you. Electrical is pretty much the top (but I'm biased) in terms of unions, but there's also sprinklers, carpentry, plumbing etc you can look into.

And if you ever feel like buying a house and flipping it/appeasing your significant other then it's a killer skill to have. Save mad money. Avocado.

Reactions: 1 users
My interest seems to be in finance right now from what I read, wonder if there is a way for me to actually break in though.

Take finance courses at local CC.

Reactions: 1 user
finance graduate programs care more about GPA than med school? lol ok.

If you want to do medicine, try to get into a masters somehow and kill it there. Even with a poor GPA, perhaps doing well on the entrance exam will get you in somewhere.

No idea about the whole finance thing as this is student DOCTOR network....

Best of luck

Reactions: 2 users

What is this interest based on? Do you have any experience with working in finance? Have you taken any finance, business, or economics courses? Are you good with numbers and math? To be honest, you sound pretty adrift right now. Get a job. Take some classes at a community college. Figure your life out.

What is this interest based on? Do you have any experience with working in finance? Have you taken any finance, business, or economics courses? Are you good with numbers and math? To be honest, you sound pretty adrift right now. Get a job. Take some classes at a community college. Figure your life out.

Made A's in calc 1 and calc 2 in college, made an A in intro to economics, and made an A in one other business elective class. Thought about it and the business classes were the ones where I felt the most alive.

Very low meaning in the 2.0 to 2.5 range. I graduated with a 2.4 GPA and about 160 credit hours due to retakes. It is going to take forever to pull that GPA up and quite frankly, I am just not going to do it.

Some of my friends were smart, after their first year of college they switched over to business where they were able to get above a 3.0 and now work as consultants in big cities. So many of them have jobs in media, business, consulting, and are living a life they love. All the while, I am stuck at home with my parents who initially put a lot of pressure on me to go into medicine.

Med school and dental school are just not a realistic possibility and quite frankly, neither is PA, PT or nursing school. So here I have this biology degree with a horrendous GPA to show for it and no realistic future prospects in the medical field.

Almost every night I have problems sleeping because I know that had I switched over to business as soon as I made that D in O Chem, I would have likely been in a better place now.

I have had a strong interest recently in working in other fields such as finance but the truth is, those fields are even more concerned about GPA than med schools.

Now I know that I am not the first bio major in the world to get his degree, make horrible grades along the way, and find out that he is just not cut out for the sciences. At the same time, I feel that I cannot expand on to any other field because they all care so much about GPA. I just wish that I could let employers know that even though I made D's in upper level science classes such as O Chem, that I am a hard worker and not a complete *******.

One of my friends was in the same situation. He had a biochem degree with a low gpa and gave up on medicine. You can get into a masters program (I recommend information systems and operations management) with that gpa easy. You just need to take the GRE. Then kill it in those classes (which I hear are pretty easy) and you can get a job as a consultant (since you like finance).

One of my friends was in the same situation. He had a biochem degree with a low gpa and gave up on medicine. You can get into a masters program (I recommend information systems and operations management) with that gpa easy. You just need to take the GRE. Then kill it in those classes (which I hear are pretty easy) and you can get a job as a consultant (since you like finance).

I hope this is not an April Fool's joke.

Thank you for the good news, I seriously thought I was going to clean toilets for a living, become a janitor, or a bum.

Honestly, if I were stuck with a biology degree and didn't want to go to medical school/grad school etc., I would immediately transition into engineering or economics/finance routes regardless of my GPA. Second bachelor's? Probably unnecessary. But some internships at different companies and working your way up will help a lot. A master's degree in an important field like computer science can significantly strengthen your resume and networking opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for the good news, I seriously thought I was going to clean toilets for a living, become a janitor, or a bum.

Sorry OP but I distinctly remember your blowup during summer and many posters giving you options... it's clear you still haven't followed anyone's advice and are just as lost as before...

You have zero chance in anything unless you straighten up yourself.

Sorry OP but I distinctly remember your blowup during summer and many posters giving you options... it's clear you still haven't followed anyone's advice and are just as lost as before...

You have zero chance in anything unless you straighten up yourself.

Nah, summer I was actually thinking about going into dentistry but after spending some time shadowing a dentist I've realized it is not something I want. I came back with a clearer idea on what my options are and quite frankly, any kind of professional school concerning medicine is not one of them.

Pharmacy? I'm pretty close to switching myself.

Dude, you're a on forum that caters to premeds. If you want good advice on how to get into med school, this is the place to be. If you want career advice that may or may not be related to the medical field, you'd be better served asking somewhere else. I suggest reddit. Their user base is much larger and includes people from all walks of life. You'll probably get better advice/first-hand accounts about union jobs or financial jobs or technological jobs or whatever.

Lol nope, true story. In my opinion, it's the fastest way to get where you wanna go

My fiancé got his bachelors in business, couldn't find a job he liked after he graduated, and went into an apprenticeship for electrical work. Now he's getting ready to become a foreman and make 6 figures a year. check out the local unions near you. Electrical is pretty much the top (but I'm biased) in terms of unions, but there's also sprinklers, carpentry, plumbing etc you can look into.

And if you ever feel like buying a house and flipping it/appeasing your significant other then it's a killer skill to have. Save mad money. Avocado.

This. I did something similar, but different trade. 5 year apprenticeship, work 40 hours a week with school 2 nights a week. Ended up making over $100,000 a year. Gave it up to pursue medicine. No experience required, and they don't care about your GPA.

Lol nope, true story. In my opinion, it's the fastest way to get where you wanna go

Wow, well that beats cleaning toilets for a living. Thank you!

Hoping other good posts come along because you've literally changed my horrible night.

Nah, summer I was actually thinking about going into dentistry but after spending some time shadowing a dentist I've realized it is not something I want. I came back with a clearer idea on what my options are and quite frankly, any kind of professional school concerning medicine is not one of them.

Yet you made this thread about going to med school?

I think that 3.3 is the minimum gpa that one should consider including on a resume. If your friends had just over a 3.0 gpa, I would highly doubt that they even put their gpa on their resume. Employers might care about your gpa a year or two out of college, but after that, unless you are getting an advanced degree, your work experience matters much more. If you want to get a job in finance, then I think the fact that you are sitting around and letting a gap of not working accumulate on your resume will hurt you much more than your gpa. Go get a job, any job for now, and then you can start looking for jobs to advance your career goals.

I have relatives that had very low (less than 3.0) gpa's who currently work in finance, and none of them were ever even asked about their gpa. Not having a business degree may hurt you, but if you get an entry level job you should be able to work your way up. For example, one of my friends had a random non-business degree and worked managing a retail store for 2 years after college. She was then able to get a job as a financial advisor. Her gpa was horrible, but her work experience was what the employer was looking for.

Last edited:
Just for the record, medical school is not completely out of the question. It would take some hard work, and this OP doesn't seem to really be into it, but I don't want future people to read this thread and think they are screwed.

Just for the record, medical school is not completely out of the question. It would take some hard work, and this OP doesn't seem to really be into it, but I don't want future people to read this thread and think they are screwed.

That's true...people have certainly come back more damage.

For example, one of my friends had a random non-business degree and worked managing a retail store for 2 years after college. She was then able to get a job as a financial advisor. Her gpa was horrible, but her work experience was what the employer was looking for.

Even though OP is ignoring my advice I'll stay one other thing- apply for a management position with Target. They really stress understanding the business and how to run it yourself. Hours aren't bad- 47.5 is what they want you at, which is the low end of the salaried retail manager, and entry level managers (ETLS) make roughly 50k.

Target loves fresh out of college students so they can mold them to whatever it is they want them to be. And for some reason, employers love that store when you do apply for a new job. I did it and managed to switch right over to healthcare after I worked there for a year and a half.

With mostly Ds you aren't going to waltz into a high powered finance job, consulting job or graduate or professional program, sorry. In terms of "finance" you'd have to start at the bottom, essentially work your way up from the bottom through a lot of jobs where you won't even need wear a suit to work. If you are lucky you might ultimately get a cold call sales type job like a legit version of the movie boiler room. But the Wall Street analyst, manager and director jobs generally are reserved for people coming in with better numbers from better schools - you won't really get there from here. Management consulting is similarly high brow. I talked with a few of these places coming out of law school and the good ones absolutely do want to see high GPAs, school pedigree advanced degrees, and other academic achievements. But there are other "business" jobs for college grads-- for a D student they tend to be more like being a salesman for a small company (think Dwight on the TV show "The Office" rather than becoming the next Gordon Gekko.)

Your best bet, frankly, is to find a place where you can work your way up from the ground up. Start at a job where you get your hands dirty, and excel, work your way up the company ladder. You won't be rich, but it will get you out of your parents house and motivate you to push yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure how grad school admissions view GPA, but I would consider a postbac in something science-related just to prove to graduate programs that you can handle a rigorous scientific course load. Outside of academia, PhDs have awesome jobs. Such as equity research at a bank, handling specialized investments in VC, PE, or at an HF. If finance does not work out, you can work at a relevant fortune 500.

Keep in mind finance is getting smaller and smaller. My school used to place a ton of people on wall street, but is now losing out in favor of HYP people.

The jobs I suggested are pretty awesome. You won't be getting coveted investment banking analyst position at JPMorgan or Goldman Sachs with a bio degree (or even the smaller boutique banks), but this is a pretty awesome route to take. If you take this route, go out of your way to acquire quantitative skills, because that is the real marketable value of a PhD outside of academics.

I'm not sure how grad school admissions view GPA, but I would consider a postbac in something science-related just to prove to graduate programs that you can handle a rigorous scientific course load. Outside of academia, PhDs have awesome jobs. Such as equity research at a bank, handling specialized investments in VC, PE, or at an HF. If finance does not work out, you can work at a relevant fortune 500.

Keep in mind finance is getting smaller and smaller. My school used to place a ton of people on wall street, but is now losing out in favor of HYP people.

The jobs I suggested are pretty awesome. You won't be getting coveted investment banking analyst position at JPMorgan or Goldman Sachs with a bio degree (or even the smaller boutique banks), but this is a pretty awesome route to take. If you take this route, go out of your way to acquire quantitative skills, because that is the real marketable value of a PhD outside of academics.

OP hasn't demonstrated success in undergrad. Assuming he could 1.) get into any program (not likely with the GPA) or 2.) survive a PhD program is a huge stretch.

OP hasn't demonstrated success in undergrad. Assuming he could 1.) get into any program (not likely with the GPA) or 2.) survive a PhD program is a huge stretch.

Assuming anything is a huge stretch. OP basically fell into a huge pit and wouldn't be able to easily climb out and suddenly end up in a top finance firm.

One effective approach is to take time off, do anything to ensure financial independence from parents, work to be self-sufficient, and slowly transition into a second bachelor's at preferably a top institution and ace it... and from there network your way through finance.

It's effective because it works for truly motivated and determined people. Otherwise, sorry OP

Assuming anything is a huge stretch. OP basically fell into a huge pit and wouldn't be able to easily climb out and suddenly end up in a top finance firm.

One effective approach is to take time off, do anything to ensure financial independence from parents, work to be self-sufficient, and slowly transition into a second bachelor's at preferably a top institution and ace it... and from there network your way through finance.

It's effective because it works for truly motivated and determined people. Otherwise, sorry OP

Very true! I just found that particular post even more so (I'm biased though).

To be constructive, OP I had a friend in college who is very similar to you actually. He was premed but ended up with a GPA around 2.5 so med school was obviously out of the question. He ended up taking a 100% commission sales job (read: risky) and did well. After a year of that he got a job in medical sales and he's doing very well now. Just something to think about.

Very low meaning in the 2.0 to 2.5 range. I graduated with a 2.4 GPA and about 160 credit hours due to retakes.

Wait i just saw this. You got a 2.4 including retakes?

Grade replace -> DO?

I think thats impossible given the above

Very true! I just found that particular post even more so (I'm biased though).

To be constructive, OP I had a friend in college who is very similar to you actually. He was premed but ended up with a GPA around 2.5 so med school was obviously out of the question. He ended up taking a 100% commission sales job (read: risky) and did well. After a year of that he got a job in medical sales and he's doing very well now. Just something to think about.

Really the best way to approach this is to start off working somewhere

Wait i just saw this. You got a 2.4 including retakes?

I think thats impossible given the above

I read that as "I did 160 hours, way above the typical 120 needed for a bachelor's because I had failed and retook many courses". Hopefully (strangely put), this is a gpa including the retakes

I read that as "I did 160 hours, way above the typical 120 needed for a bachelor's because I had failed and retook many courses". Hopefully (strangely put), this is a gpa including the retakes

The 2.4 is misleading. It may be the AMCAS GPA which factors in both grades (undergrad GPA does the same iirc), but OP should include only the retake grades when calculating his GPA. Perhaps the overall GPA is well above 3.0, helping him have a chance with DO schools.

Now if the retakes weren't an A's but like C's and D's... well...

Easiest way to break into business is sales. It is also one of the hardest jobs to keep. However, if you are good at sales, you can make money. Find a mentor, then move into operations, consulting, etc.

Or you could learn to code. Hours are long, pressure is high, but rewards can be great, at least in the short term.

Easiest way to break into business is sales. It is also one of the hardest jobs to keep. However, if you are good at sales, you can make money. Find a mentor, then move into operations, consulting, etc.

Or you could learn to code. Hours are long, pressure is high, but rewards can be great, at least in the short term.

As someone with a background in computer software, I approve of this message.

Would you qualify to be a teacher in a school ( I'm not sure if all you need is a 4 year degree)? Maybe you can do that for a few years and take courses ( science or business) during summers when you're off. After a few years of A's you should be able to get into med school or Business school. Just a suggestion

Would you qualify to be a teacher in a school ( I'm not sure if all you need is a 4 year degree)? Maybe you can do that for a few years and take courses ( science or business) during summers when you're off. After a few years of A's you should be able to get into med school or Business school. Just a suggestion
Business school makes no sense for OP. You don't get an MBA to start in business, you use it to enhance existing skills, after working in business, usually paid for by his employer. Won't get him where he wants to go.

Reactions: 6 users
Business school makes no sense for OP. You don't get an MBA to start in business, you use it to enhance existing skills, after working in business, usually paid for by his employer. Won't get him where he wants to go.
Oh, ok. Thought I knew people who started MBA school right after getting a Bachelors degree. And worked while in MBA school. Maybe not.

Almost every night I have problems sleeping because I know that if I had worked harder as soon as I made that D in O Chem, I would have likely been in a better place now.
There FTFY.

That being said... I have a lot of friends in your position OP. Have you considered teaching of some sort?

When you said "I'm not going to do it" do you mean you are not willing to put in the work, or are just are physically/financially incapable?

With mostly Ds you aren't going to waltz into a high powered finance job, consulting job or graduate or professional program, sorry. In terms of "finance" you'd have to start at the bottom, essentially work your way up from the bottom through a lot of jobs where you won't even need wear a suit to work. If you are lucky you might ultimately get a cold call sales type job like a legit version of the movie boiler room. But the Wall Street analyst, manager and director jobs generally are reserved for people coming in with better numbers from better schools - you won't really get there from here. Management consulting is similarly high brow. I talked with a few of these places coming out of law school and the good ones absolutely do want to see high GPAs, school pedigree advanced degrees, and other academic achievements. But there are other "business" jobs for college grads-- for a D student they tend to be more like being a salesman for a small company (think Dwight on the TV show "The Office" rather than becoming the next Gordon Gekko.)

Your best bet, frankly, is to find a place where you can work your way up from the ground up. Start at a job where you get your hands dirty, and excel, work your way up the company ladder. You won't be rich, but it will get you out of your parents house and motivate you to push yourself.

My question is this, are these jobs out of the realm of possibility for my entire life? Like can I put together a resume in the coming years that can get me a chance at these jobs?

I do find it somewhat unfair that my D's in classes like O Chem, Biochem, Microbio, and Genetics are being used against me this harshly in a field where the coursework is completely unrelated for the most part. If I had D's in calc and other finance related classes, that would be fair but if I could take finance related courses, ace them, and build my resume, could I get those jobs?

What's realistically possible: With a couple years paid clinical experience, a good MCAT score, and a post-bac program (assuming you do well), you would be competitive for DO

What you should do: Buck up

Guys I appreciate the optimism but I am just not cut out for med school, it isn't happening and I have accepted this reality.

My question is this, are these jobs out of the realm of possibility for my entire life? Like can I put together a resume in the coming years that can get me a chance at these jobs?

I do find it somewhat unfair that my D's in classes like O Chem, Biochem, Microbio, and Genetics are being used against me this harshly in a field where the coursework is completely unrelated for the most part. If I had D's in calc and other finance related classes, that would be fair but if I could take finance related courses, ace them, and build my resume, could I get those jobs?

If anything I would wager high powered finance jobs are even less forgiving than some DO schools. They have people chomping at the bit for those jobs just like most med schools do

If anything I would wager high powered finance jobs are even less forgiving than some DO schools. They have people chomping at the bit for those jobs just like most med schools do

True but think of it this way. I am sure MD schools would look at least be accepting of someone that graduated with a non-science related major in undergrad and had a low GPA but managed to do a post bacc and worked the science classes along with a high MCAT to go with it right?

I wonder, why can't finance jobs be at least fair in evaluating a student? Sure, I was pushed into medicine against my own wishes and I failed hard. I admit that med school or any professional school is not a realistic possibility for me because I objectively proved that I am not cut out for medicine.

But I never had a chance to prove myself to the guys on Wall Street to where they can fairly evaluate me. For all they know, I could ace finance classes and kill the GMAT yet if they still refuse to give me an opportunity, that is bull****.

There are MD (and all DO) schools that reward reinvention, but the key is demonstrating academic excellence, as in acing everything.

The "woe is me/life is so unfair" attitude will get you nowhere. You want a nice job? Earn it.

Consider the military, or trade/vocational schools. College has ruined many good tractor/trailer driver.

True but think of it this way. I am sure MD schools would look at least be accepting of someone that graduated with a non-science related major in undergrad and had a low GPA but managed to do a post bacc and worked the science classes along with a high MCAT to go with it right?

I wonder, why can't finance jobs be at least fair in evaluating a student? Sure, I was pushed into medicine against my own wishes and I failed hard. I admit that med school or any professional school is not a realistic possibility for me because I objectively proved that I am not cut out for medicine.

But I never had a chance to prove myself to the guys on Wall Street to where they can fairly evaluate me. For all they know, I could ace finance classes and kill the GMAT yet if they still refuse to give me an opportunity, that is bull****.

If you're interested, learn how to code. There are several organizations that will teach you how to code for free and also link you up with well-paying jobs. Also it's less about your GPA and more about your skills.

.....perhaps podiatry?

They look at GPA, not just how you did in finance classes. And your gpa is bad -- you DID have a chance or two there. But instead you scorched the earth, Dug yourself a deep hole that will need years of grade rehab to climb out of if you need to do anything involving graduate or professional education. And frankly the top finance/business undergrad students aren't much worse than the top premeds, so I think we are all pretty skeptical that you'd "ace" those classes given that after a ton of credits you were a C-D+ student. A lot of those guys did well in the science classes they took, but liked business more.

I feel bad for you, but let's be realistic. The high powered careers require you to do well in college in most cases. You didn't. So you need a plan B.