Lets talk vasopressin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why? have you seen problems with larger doses?

I've seen 2 units of vasopressin shoot a blood pressure up from 70 sbp to over 200. typically a much stronger response than epinephrine.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my favorite tricks, next to the syringe of neo in the IV bag for c/s.
If I place an epidural for s surgical case I always use it. But like everyone knows, it's sometimes difficult to use the epidural along with a GA without having to support the BP. Well, you can't really send the pt to the floor with neo in the IV bag so whatcha gonna do? I inject about 30mg of ephedrine in the shoulder at the end of the case and nobody ever knows. BP stays in a reasonable range and I never get a call.

I average doing IM EPHEDRINE about once a week week, works well. 25 mg is usually sufficient.

I've seen 2 units of vasopressin shoot a blood pressure up from 70 sbp to over 200. typically a much stronger response than epinephrine.
I have ever seen this and would suggest something else may have been at play. It is not anywhere near epi in my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have ever seen this and would suggest something else may have been at play. It is not anywhere near epi in my experience.

I don't think the response to vasopressin is as profound as epi and that's why I like it better sometimes since it seems easier to titrate. I do think it can shoot up the blood pressure significantly though. I have seen a pretty profound response to a couple of units (which is why I start off dosing low).

If vasopressin is used when it really isn't needed (mild,typical hypotension following Propofol IV for example) then 2 units may indeed cause some serious hypertension. But, if vasopressin is utilized only for refractory hypotension, sepsis, anaphylaxis, etc then 2 units would be well tolerated with the likelihood that even more will be needed.