Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suddenlyforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys:

Back in May, I sent a letter of intent to the school I really wanted to go to, because at the time I was willing to drop everything in order to go. However, by June, I hadn't received anything but I wasn't sure anymore if I would be able to go since I had already began to make plans at my current school. Therefore, I sent in a letter of interest early June. I had given up hope this past weekend, and had finalized my plans for the med school I'm currently matriculated at. I was actually planning on withdrawing from the waitlist this week. Just today, I found out that I got in. (Why couldn't they have told me just a couple weeks earlier?! Argh!) I want to go so badly, don't get me wrong, but I just don't know if I can because I've finalized all my plans just this past week (signed a lease, turned in all my paperwork, loans, etc). Would it be wrong of me to turn down the offer? Am I allowed to if I had sent a letter of intent, but later a letter of interest? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for you guys:

Back in May, I sent a letter of intent to the school I really wanted to go to, because at the time I was willing to drop everything in order to go. However, by June, I hadn't received anything but I wasn't sure anymore if I would be able to go since I had already began to make plans at my current school. Therefore, I sent in a letter of interest early June. I had given up hope this past weekend, and had finalized my plans for the med school I'm currently matriculated at. I was actually planning on withdrawing from the waitlist this week. Just today, I found out that I got in. (Why couldn't they have told me just a couple weeks earlier?! Argh!) I want to go so badly, don't get me wrong, but I just don't know if I can because I've finalized all my plans just this past week (signed a lease, turned in all my paperwork, loans, etc). Would it be wrong of me to turn down the offer? Am I allowed to if I had sent a letter of intent, but later a letter of interest? Thank you!

Given your circumstance with the lease etc, I don't think they would think twice about it. The decision should be solely up to you at this point.

Haha ok, will do. I just remember all the threads about absolutely having to attend if you submitted a letter of intent and I was really worried. I wouldn't want to piss off the admissions committee!

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, if I were you, I'd go to my top choice no matter what. What will you lose, the security deposit on your apartment?

I'm really curious to find out what you end up doing...I'm currently in somewhere but with 3 waitlists I feel like I can't do anything definitive right now such as seeking out roommates and finding a place to live. But if I were you and this is truly your dream school, I'd pay the price on the lease...you'll probably just lose your security deposit; if it's a popular apartment complex, someone else will pick up your apartment so you won't have to pay rent while it's vacant.

I just signed a lease even tho I'm on my top choice's waitlist. It's up to you, but assuming the landlord finds a new tenant you're only out security and any months it goes vacant.

Maybe you should try asking the landlord what he is willing to do? It's possible that he deals with a lot of students and is familiar with such a situation and is willing to work with you. Also, though you wrote a letter of intent, it is never binding. When medical schools see those letters, they take them with a grain of salt (this is coming from medical school deans) because they know situations like this arise. Hence, if you're set on going to the school you're matriculated in, then go, if not, do the research, withdraw and go to the school of your dreams!

Oh and congratulations!

Last edited:
Go to the school you prefer to go to. I know countless people who signed leases and then got off a wait list end of July/early August. This happens all the time. You can break and the lease. Or, if you'd prefer to stick with the first school, than do that. Either way, this is four years of your life. Go where you prefer, not where you signed one lease and sent in some forms.

a letter of intent is not a legally binding contract. go wherever you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.