letter of interest. cool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it kosher to send a program of particular interest an email/letter indicating one's interest in said program? If so, when is a good time? I won't be able to rotate at this place so I wanted to show some interest besides just applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it kosher to send a program of particular interest an email/letter indicating one's interest in said program? If so, when is a good time? I won't be able to rotate at this place so I wanted to show some interest besides just applying.

It's OK--might encourage them to pull your application out of the stack, especially if you can state some coherent reasons why you're specifically interested. But I'd wait until September/October.

September, it is a lot easier to get them to pull you from the "to be read" pile than to resurrect you out of the "rejected" pile, (assuming the worst of course). Probably not much downside to doing this. If it goes poorly, just don't become one of those persistent applicants that need to be told "no" over and over. I'm OK with one reconsideration request, but I have had four and five before. After two, we tend to entrench more into "hell no, you are dense and annoying please stay away". :yuck:

I agree with OPD, if you have a reason for your interest, this will often work. If it feels more like sycophantic dribbling, not so much. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would right after applications open be best? Sept 16th?

September, it is a lot easier to get them to pull you from the "to be read" pile than to resurrect you out of the "rejected" pile, (assuming the worst of course). Probably not much downside to doing this. If it goes poorly, just don't become one of those persistent applicants that need to be told "no" over and over. I'm OK with one reconsideration request, but I have had four and five before. After two, we tend to entrench more into "hell no, you are dense and annoying please stay away". :yuck:

I agree with OPD, if you have a reason for your interest, this will often work. If it feels more like sycophantic dribbling, not so much. Good luck.

4 or 5 ...thats insane. I only sent one in and that was pre-interview, I was on the waiting list for an interview in December and then got the invitation. Didnt match there but it was worth the experience

Would right after applications open be best? Sept 16th?
Mexican independence day 9/18. It is a Friday before we take a full flash drive home for the weekend.

Reactions: 1 users
I would wait until later in the season. Sending in "you are a great program" prior to having multiple interviews at other programs makes your taste suspect.