Letter of Interest -> Letter of Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WearyHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to see if anyone thinks there will be any negative consequences for writing a letter of intent AFTER an initial letter of interest has been sent. Although I can see this being a silly question, I just want to make sure this move won't be perceived as a "why didn't the applicant commit before - he probably sent multiple LoIntents". Hopefully, I'm just being irrational. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would be silly. You can state why they are now your top choice, after re-thinking about all your schools and after your interviews, you generally will know which one is your top choice although other factors maybe come in as well such as being WL by another school etc, but dont mention that of course.

I sent a LOIntent to one school and also sent an updated LOR and asked my PI to state that it was my top choice in the letter. I was scared of the same problem. I don't know why people would do that, i m sure ppl do, but it's unethical to send to multiple schools IMHO.

Also, if you havent sent it out, you should send it ASAP.